One skillet is all you need to create this crispy chicken paired with creamy lemon thyme sauce.
Ok so first of all, how was your weekend!? What did you do? Mine was all kinds of crazy. Two cities and two book signings in two days. But with chaos comes all sorts of fun. I plan to post a little recap of the book tour so far on my blog tomorrow, so check back for Sally’s Candy Addiction shenanigans. (update: recap is right here!)
I’m flying home today, but had to get this recipe up on the blog in case you were looking for a new dinner recipe. Ahh! So, I love this recipe. I made it 2 or 3 times before leaving for the book tour trip. It’s relatively healthy, full of lots of fresh flavor, and couldn’t be any easier.
Just another recipe to add to my growing savory section. Speaking of. Have you made my butternut squash mac & cheese yet? Because I’ve been craving it the past week straight. I even dreamed about it one night? What is my life.
Anyway, let’s talk about how the heck I came up with this recipe. Well, first of all– zesty lemon and fresh thyme go together like chocolate and peanut bu… ok that’s a total lie. But the flavor combo is a classic and tastes unbelievable with chicken. Today’s skillet chicken actually came from my skillet chicken with creamy cilantro lime sauce. Can we just talk about how that recipe has taken the world by storm in only 3 months? I’m blown away, but simultaneously not surprised at all by its popularity. It’s that incredible.
And today’s dinner recipe was inspired by its goodness!
All you need is one skillet to cook up today’s meal. A one pan wonder, if you will.
First thing’s first. Grab some skinless boneless chicken breasts. You can use bone-in chicken thighs instead if that’s easier. Cook the chicken in the skillet until both sides are browned– the chicken will cook again in the oven so if the centers aren’t cooked all the way through just yet, no worries. Remove the chicken for now and begin working on that incredible sauce!
You’ll need chicken broth and cream for the sauce. You’ll only need a little cream. 3 Tablespoons for the whole recipe– that’s all! It’s the perfect amount of cream to add richness and, well, creaminess. (Duh.) You’ll also throw in lemon, thyme, onion, garlic, and a little butter. Oh my gosh the flavors! It’s all so divine. The sauce is definitely the best part.
The next step is to add the chicken back into the skillet and bake it all until the chicken is completely cooked through. That’s IT. Serve with veggies and smother them with the extra sauce. It does not get any easier.
The chicken is crisp and golden, the thyme and lemon shine through, the sauce is creamy, the preparation is a breeze! Add this rave-worthy meal to your weeknight dinner rotation.
Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make. ♥
Skillet Chicken with Creamy Lemon Thyme Sauce
One skillet is all you need to create this crispy chicken paired with creamy lemon thyme sauce! I recommend doubling the sauce (all the ingredients used in step 4) if you like lots of extra sauce.
- 4-5 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth (I recommend reduced sodium)
- zest & juice from 1 lemon (about 2 Tbsp juice)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream1
- 2 Tablespoons butter, cubed
- optional: lemon slices and more thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- If the chicken breasts are uneven in thickness, pound them down so they're all even. This way all the breasts will cook through similtaneously. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 6-7 minutes, turning once. You want the chicken nice and browned on the outside. (It doesn't have to be cooked all the way through yet.) Set chicken on a plate and cover tightly with foil until step 5.
- Remove skillet from heat and add the broth, lemon zest & juice, onion, garlic, and thyme. Return to heat. Cook and stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a boil. Allow to boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the liquid is reduced to around 1/4 cup. Reduce heat to medium-low, then add the cream and butter. Stir until butter has melted.
- Add chicken to the sauce and place the skillet in the preheated oven. Bake until the chicken is completely cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve chicken with sauce spooned on top and any of the listed optional garnishes. Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for a few days. Reheat to your liking.
- You can use whole milk instead, but for the thickest, richest sauce I highly recommend heavy cream. If using whole milk, make sure it is at room temperature to help prevent curdling.
Adapted from Skillet Chicken with Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
Try my cilantro lime version next!
More savory recipes for you!