Beginner’s Guide to Yeast (Email Series)

homemade artisan french bread

I’m thrilled to share my newest, most in-depth email series that I’ve ever offered.

(PS: I have two other free email series including Baking Made Easy and How to Bake a Perfect Cake!)

Fast Track to Bread Success

I ask readers this all the time: which recipes intimidate you the most? And 90% of the answers include “yeast breads.” I get it. I used to be terrified of baking homemade breads, too. They seemed SO complicated and out of reach, especially when recipes aren’t carefully explained. I was really frustrated.

So I taught myself. Over the course of 10 years, I went from shakily rolling out dough to confidently whipping up babka, croissants, and bagels. All without hesitation.

Pictured above: Artisan Bread.

Let me send you on the fast track to homemade bread success.

Beginner’s Guide to Yeast

Today I’m presenting you with my Beginner’s Guide to Yeast Email Course.

This 5 day email series includes:

1. in-depth baking with yeast tutorials
  2. yeast FAQs answered in easy-to-comprehend language
  3. my highest-rated bread recipes for beginners
  4. careful explanations so your fears of yeast finally subside

Some of this information is already on my website, but it’s never been delivered in an in-depth ongoing series with certain recipes grouped together and where you visualize them all. I’m really proud of the content I’ve put together in this series!

What’s The Process?

After signing up, you’ll receive 1 email per day for 5 days. After that, I’ll send you about 1 email per week with popular recipes as I update them with recipe notes and easier instructions. If you’re already on my email list, you won’t receive my Beginner’s Guide to Yeast series unless you sign up using the form above. (This series is in addition to what I regularly send out to you.)

This is all completely free. All that’s happening is me showing up in your inbox. You don’t need to do anything– no homework– just read, learn, and get excited to apply the information in your own kitchen. You can unsubscribe at any time.

cinnamon rolls shaped dough

Thank you so much for reading, following along, and trusting my recipes!

1. That picture of those cinnamon rolls did it for me! Looking forward to it, thanks!

1. Thank you so much, Susie! I hope you love this series 🙂

2. Charlotte Koske says:

Awesome! Thank you so much, I baked the cinnamon roll recipe and the clover leaf dinner rolls over the holidays. Great hits! My bread maker died and thiught-now what! used my Cuisinart Stand Mixer Dough Hook, worked great, more consistent and something about punching down the dough, letting it rise and then out onto a floured surface and kneading it is a soulful experience quite like nothing else. Life in your hands! Red Star Yeasts are amazing. What a difference! Thank you for such a great site and sharing the fantastic recipes and tips. I look forward to your blog series❗️

1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Charlotte! Thrilled you loved the cinnamon roll recipe 🙂

3. Sandra Slover says:

I bake a lot.
    I have NEVER used yeast.
    It’s about time!

1. It sure is!! 😉 You can do it, Sandra!

4. Charlotte Moore says:

I have made breads, rolls, and cinnamon rolls for years. I even grind my own wheat, spelt, and kamut. I am never really happy with the texture. It seems it never gets to the stretchy stage.

5. Shelli Bender says:

I appreciate all your tutorials!! I always go to your web page first and do my reading update before trying anything new. Yeast does not scare me anymore! But I signed up for a refresher course *laughs*
    You seriously are the perfection of a baker!! I can’t say thank you enough for all that you have taught me! This year my christmas cookies and candies were called “professional quality”. I cried, thank you Sally!!

1. I absolutely loved reading your sweet words, Shelli! Thank you so much for your readership and for baking my recipes 🙂

6. Cannot wait! I use yeast often, but still am not confident with my ability.

1. I hope you love this series, Karen!

7. Sally! It’s as if you read my mind! And…I’m so glad to know I’m not the only avid baker…that has feared and avoided yeast! I had already made it my 2020 baking goal. Hooray! I suddenly feel so…”trendy”!

1. In your new yeast series, will you discuss starters?

1. No starters discussed in this series. I don’t have any published recipes that use a starter– all of my published yeast bread recipes are super basic dump-in-the-bowl and start, but for more advanced bread recipes with starters (including sourdough) I love the Red Star Yeast website or King Arthur Flour website as a source for recipes and help.

2. Thanks Sally!

2. Woo hoo! Such a great baking goal for 2020!

8. I am excited about doing more with yeast. I feel better eating spelt than wheat bread, so any tips you can share on using alternate flours would be awesome. Thank you!

1. I wish I had helpful advice, but I have very little experience baking spelt breads. Just traditional wheat. I’m not the best person to ask here, so sorry Maureen!

2. Hello Maureen, I am no Sally but I have been experiencing lots of stuff on bread lately/the past year. I can tell you that spelt and traditional wheat flour pairs perfectly and gives beautiful baguettes. Flours that are like spelt, whole-wheat, rye etc. don’t develop as much as wheat bread; so you shouldn’t allow them to rise too long for the second fermentation period (it’s okay to put the dough in the fridge for the bulk fermentation though). Also, you should score before the second rise when using all whole-wheat or rye for example. If ou need more tips on that type of bread; I can help I think 😉 hope that helps.

3. Maureen, I use Spelt and whole wheat interchangeable with no problems. I grind my Spelt and wheat berries. Hope that helps.

4. Adding to the pile of ideas, have you tried Einkorn wheat. It is an older wheat type and not as hybridized as commercial wheat. There are wonderful books on the subject, such as “Einkorn: Recipes for Nature’s Original Wheat: A Cookbook” I have made very good bread from it, but the techniques are a little different. Good luck.

9. So looking forward to your baking with yeast series! Thank you for pushing us to try (and conquer) new baking challenges.

1. Mary Acostavalle says:

Thank you for taking the time to make this series. I’m so looking forward to it.

1. You are so welcome, Mary! 🙂

2. Thank you so much, Vicki! I hope you love this series 🙂

10. Thank you Sally! I have never tried to make yeast breads and have wanted to but I fear the use of yeast and kneading and……..! This is exciting Sally!

1. I hope you find this series really helpful, Nancy!

11. Will you include any tips on yeast baking at high altitudes? I’m at 6500 feet and find it a challenge.

1. Hi Margie! I would if I had experience baking above sea level. Unfortunately, I’m not the best person to turn to for that. I wouldn’t have any advice! Though many readers have found this chart massively helpful: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/resources/high-altitude-baking

12. I bake regularly, including yeast beads. I’m confident in baking with yeast, but I’m entirely self-taught. I signed up anyway because I’m sure you have tips or tricks that I haven’t learned yet. Thank you, Sally, for all your hard work.

1. I’m so glad you did! I hope you enjoy this series 🙂

13. So excited! I make your cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas, but I’m certainly not a master at yeast-baking. Looking forward to this.

1. I’m so glad! Thanks for signing up, Ashley 🙂

14. I have been so intimidated by yeast and getting dough to rise correctly. I can’t wait to get the e-mails and work on it.

1. Thanks so much for signing up, Molly!

15. I bake bread, rolls, yeast-y things, quite often. Am I an expert? Heck no, I can always learn a new trick! The main thing I’ve learned all these years? Go with your gut…it hasn’t let me down yet!

1. Love it!

16. Your email to sign up for the beginner guide to yeast came at the right time! I just tried to make sandwich roll but couldn’t get past step 2, wait for yeast/water to bubble. I need serious help!

1. Perfect timing, indeed! Thanks for signing up, Kristen 🙂

17. Sally I make your no-knead walnut cranberry bread all the time, it’s so delicious. I hope you’ll do a wheat-honey version of this type (no-knead)with some AP flour to keep it light. I’m not afraid of yeast, but I’m always looking to improve my baking and your tips are always great!

1. That no-knead bread is one of my favorites, too! Thanks for your positive feedback Maria 🙂

18. I’ve been baking with yeast for many years, and I have a precious granddaughter who lives too far away to help and who had a real flop with her expectations of yeast and its need to rough up, rest, rise, and repeat! This series comes at a perfect time for her to begin her own journey with the delights of homemade bread! Thank you so much for sharing this with us, no matter where we are on the road to BREAD!!

“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”” ‭‭John‬ ‭6:47-51‬ ‭ESV‬‬

1. Thanks so much, Pat! I hope you and your granddaughter find this series helpful 🙂

19. My last attempt at yeast bread was years ago, it was beautiful after my husband shellacked it. It was used for years as a bookend……
    Please, count me in! 😉

1. I’m dying over here

2. LOL! I hope you find this series helpful, Pamela!!

20. I’ve baked with yeast quite often and sometimes things don’t go quite that way I think they should, (really, it’s not me, haha), so I am really looking forward to your tutorials. My son and I made your cinnamon rolls in the crock pot and they were amazing. This Christmas, my 4 year old grandson and I made your cinnamon rolls and they came out beautifully (even the ones Carson had to cut using a spoon.lol, because I (Bubba) wouldn’t give him a knife. Can’t wait to get started and since I have never done your Baking Challenge, I’m going to start with the artisan bread you’ve slotted for January. Love, love everything I have ever made from your site. You make cooking, baking and living a good full life so very simple and stress free. Thanks for that! You’re amazing!

1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Christine! Thrilled you’ve been enjoying my recipes- hope you find this email series helpful 🙂

21. Sally will you include yeast donuts recipe? Mine never puff up when I put them in the hot oil. Thanks

1. Hi Lisa, my Homemade Glazed Donuts are a real, old fashioned, fried donut made with yeasted dough. I think you will love them!

22. I used to bake yeast bread with my grandmother when I was young but haven’t done so in quite a while. I love the idea of this email series and am looking forward to it!

1. I’m so glad you’re looking forward to this email series, Patrice!

23. Melissa Moore says:

I am excited to start getting your emails! I have been baking for years, but mostly cakes, cookies, cupcakes. I’ve always wanted to do more breads, and after trying your January Challenge, I am ready for more!
    Love your recipes and the way you ‘talk’ us through each step. Thank you for sharing your passion and gifts with all of us!

1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Melissa! Loved reading them 🙂

24. I love bread. So looking forward to the yeast series. Thank you
    Question: do you do sour dough? I have been struggling for more then a year to make consistently yummy sour dough loaves. I’ve read so many recipes purchased so many books and every time I do I find out something is missing. It seems like the authors do it on purpose. I follow the recipe exactly and still still turns our under or over proofed. Then I follow another link to see where I might have gone wrong and there it is a tip that may of helped. Always something left out that would have helped the process. I would list the books and chefs, but it looks like I have written a short story as it is. I should have just asked, do you have a SD series? And thank you:). Katie

1. Hi Katie, I wish I could help but I don’t have a sour dough recipe on my site yet! I’m not sure if you have tried this site yet, but you can give the King Arthur Flour website a try: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

25. The last time I tried to make yeast bread it was so hard that I could have killed someone if I had thrown it at them so many thanks for this!!!

26. When will the yeast emails start? I love yeast rolls and yeast cinnamon rolls. Thanks for all your tips. I learned a great deal.

1. Shortly after you sign up! If you didn’t receive the welcome email, check your spam. Thanks for joining!

27. I have up many times, but still have not received any emails. I have checked spamand northing there. Thanks.

28. I am, and have been, a baker since baking with my grandmother growing up in the 50’s and 60’s. It led to my having had a cake business in Houston for nearly 40 years. I still bake nearly every day. I tell people it’s a sort of therapy for me. Yeast is something I’ve shied away from and only recently I’ve begun to get into after having found a one-hour cinnamon roll recipe. I’ve made that enough now that a bit of the intimidation is eased and I’m (hopefully) ready to explore the magic! I’m looking forward to this!

29. Hi. Sally. I just signed up for your tutorial especially using yeast. I am a retired nurse and I am trying to learn how to bake especially with yeast. I do some baking but I want to learn more of your tips and tricks to be truly successful. Thank you and be safe.

30. I made the easy cinnamon roll from scratch today! It tastes good and very soft! However, there’s a bit of a yeasty aftertaste to it. Can you help me find out why? Thanks!!

1 2