A simple recipe for extra cheese pizza on top of the best homemade pizza dough.
My husband’s favorite food is pizza. He likes it plain and simple. A lot of cheese. Sometimes Hawaiian, sometimes BBQ chicken. But most of the time: extra cheese.
I, on the other hand, am all about the extras. I like my pizza with fun (weird?) toppings like roasted eggplant, goat cheese, sun dried tomatoes, figs, butternut squash, and honey.
But one thing we can agree on: really good crust. Puffy, chewy, and thick pizza crust.
Baking with Yeast Guide
Reference this Baking with Yeast Guide whenever you work with baker’s yeast. I include practical answers to all of your common yeast questions.
Homemade pizza crust may sound difficult to you. Why waste the time when you can just buy frozen pizza dough? Frozen pizza dough is definitely more convenient, but homemade pizza crust has a delicious flavor and texture that only comes from YOU!
Pizza Dough Ingredients
Here’s my recipe for homemade pizza dough. And this is the breakdown of ingredients you need. There’s only 6, plus some water.
- Yeast: Instant yeast makes the job quicker. You need 1 standard packet.
- Water: Use warm water to cut down on rise time, about 105ºF – 115ºF. Anything over 130ºF is too hot.
- Flour: Use unbleached all-purpose white flour in the pizza crust. Bleaching the flour strips away some of the protein, which will affect how much water the flour absorbs.
- Oil: Extra virgin olive oil adds wonderful flavor to the dough. Don’t forget to brush the dough with olive oil before adding the toppings, which prevents the crust from tasting soggy.
- Salt: Adds flavor.
- Sugar: A little sugar increases the yeast’s activity and tenderizes the pizza dough.
- Cornmeal: Use cornmeal to dust the pizza pan; it gives the pizza crust a little extra flavor and crisp.
Homemade Pizza Dough Video Tutorial
Homemade Pizza Baking Equipment
There’s only 3 crucial tools you need.
- Stand Mixer: An electric stand mixer is preferred for making homemade pizza crust, but you don’t *NEED* it. You can simply mix and knead the dough by hand.
- Pizza Pan: Some pizza enthusiasts own pizza stones, baking stones, and pizza peels. If you have them– awesome. If you don’t, just use a regular pizza pan or a baking sheet.
- Pizza Cutter: This OXO pizza cutter because it’s sharp, comfortable, and easy.
Pizza Night Ideas!
Turn your homemade crust into something social by hosting a pizza night. Have friends over, make a batch of the dough, roll into smaller circles (5-6 inches each), and serve with different toppings. Everyone can assemble their own individual pizzas. There are NO rules when it comes to pizza toppings! However, don’t go too heavy or your crust will become soggy and weighed down. My pizza recipe below is for regular extra cheese pizza, but feel free to pile your favorite veggies or meat on top.
Pizza Topping Suggestions:
- Classic Margherita Pizza
- Hawaiian Pizza
- Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Veggie Pizza: 1/2 cup pizza sauce, 1 small roasted and thinly sliced eggplant, 3/4 cup thinly sliced mushrooms, 1 thinly sliced red onion, 1/2 thinly sliced red pepper, drizzle of olive oil, pepper/ground basil to taste
- Supreme Pizza: 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperoni/sausage, 1 thinly sliced green pepper, sliced olives, 1/2 chopped onion, ground basil to taste
- 4 Cheese Pizza: 1/2 cup pizza sauce, 6 ounces each: shredded parmesan cheese, shredded Monterey Jack, shredded Asiago
And not only that, little bakers can lend a hand making dinner AND have fun in the process. Let them help you press down the dough and shape into a circle. They can add their cheeses and make pepperoni faces on top of the pie. Common, who doesn’t love a smiley pizza? 🙂
A simple recipe for extra cheese pizza on top of the best homemade pizza dough. Makes one 12-inch pizza or you can make two pizzas from my entire crust recipe and double the toppings listed below.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust
- 1/2–3/4 cup (127-190g) pizza sauce, depending how much you like (homemade or store-bought)
- 8 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cups (6oz or 168g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2–3 Tablespoons (10-15g) grated parmesan cheese
- ground basil or Italian seasoning, to taste
- Prepare the pizza dough through step 6, including preheating the oven to 475°F (246°C) as described in step 4.
- Top the dough with the pizza sauce, then the sliced mozzarella, then the shredded mozzarella, grated Parmesan, then sprinkle with basil.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. For the last minute, I move the oven rack to the top rack to really brown the edges. That’s optional.
- Slice hot pizza and serve immediately. Cover leftover pizza tightly and store in the refrigerator. Reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices can be frozen up to 3 months.
Keywords: homemade cheese pizza