chocolate covered pretzel cookies.

Chocolate covered pretzels.

My go-to treat for nearly every.single.holiday.  They’re my signature.  My crown + glory.  I’ve been makin’ them for YEARS!   I like them topped with sprinkles, stuffed with peanut butter, on top of brownies, you name it:

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Peanut Butter Brownies

Oreo Cheesecake Pretzel Bites

And now?  In cookies.  Why not!

I have a go-to, standard, no-fail, GUARANTEE cookie dough recipe that I use for nearly every basic cookie I bake.   It is quite similiar to the Cooks Illustrated recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I’ve made a few changes.  Rather than melting the butter – as directed by the recipe – I cream the butter with the sugars & eggs, producing an exceptional thick and puffy cookie.  I’ve tried the melting method before and it just doesn’t work for me… the cookies spread too much for my liking.  I prefer a thick cookie over a flat one any day!

Another trick is to chill the dough.  Like, for hours.  Yup…3o minutes and up to 5 DAYS of chilling.  Trust me on this: the longer you chill the dough, the thicker the cookie will beI chilled this batch for 24 hours.

I’ve used this dough recipe for a handful of my cookies. And as it turns out, these cookie recipes have all been the most popular on my site. :)

So throwing my beloved chocolate covered pretzels INTO my beloved cookie recipe was just bound to happen!  Sweet, buttery, soft cookie dough with chunks of rich dark chocolate covered pretzels… these cookies are pure heaven on earth I tell ya.

The ultimate sweet & salty treat. :)

Thick enough, chewy enough, and quite honestly… the most perfect cookie.

[print_this]

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Cookies

makes 3 dozen

• 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) salted butter, softened
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
  • 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate covered pretzel pieces

Preheat oven to 325F degrees.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. With an electric mixer or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture and stir until a dough forms (may take a couple minutes of stirring). Fold in the chocolate covered pretzel pieces.  Do not overmix the dough at any point in this process.

Chill dough for at least 30 minutes (or up to 5 days) in the refrigerator.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Press a few more chocolate pretzel pieces onto the tops for decoration. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. The centers should appear very soft and puffy. Let cool completely and enjoy!

*Make sure to keep dough cold at all times while the batches are baking. I kept my dough in the refrigerator in between batches.  You can easily swap add more add-ins to these cookies (chopped candy bars, nuts, chocolate chips, etc) as long as the total does not go over 1.5 cups. Get creative!  It’s easy to make homemade chocolate covered pretzels!  See my chocolate covered pretzel how-to here.

RECIPE SOURCE: SALLYSBAKINGADDICTION.COM

© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.

[/print_this]

PS- I’ve used the SAME basic, no-fail cookie dough recipe for the following cookies as well:

Rainbow M&M Cookies super addicting with super cute mini m&ms, these cookies are a classic favorite!  When I brought them into work, people asked me if I bought them at the store!  Riiiiiiiight.

Peanut Butter Snickers Cookies – I rolled these cookies a tad larger than normal, so they were GIANT cookies full of peanut butter snickers chunks. So dang good.

Butterscotch Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies  – similar to today’s cookie recipe, these cookies are sweet + salty with a burst of butterscotch.  Probably one of the best cookies I’ve ever eaten.

43 Responses to “chocolate covered pretzel cookies.”

Laurie {Simply Scratch}posted June 14, 2012 at 8:30 am

I have a deep love for chocolate covered pretzels… these take me back to those 90210 Wednesday nights… Love these Sally!

• Sallyreplied on June 14th, 2012 at 9:07 am

ha! I remember those nights. :) Chocolate covered pretzels are a classic favorite.

Elizabethposted June 14, 2012 at 8:59 am

Pretzels and chocolate are the best!

• Sallyreplied on June 14th, 2012 at 9:07 am

I couldn’t agree more Elizabeth!

Katrina In Katrina's Kitchenposted June 14, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’ll take one (or 4) of each please!

Back For Secondsposted June 14, 2012 at 10:14 am

Duuuude! I make chocolate covered pretzels for nearly every occasion too!! So yummy, everyone loves ‘em, and it’s a great opportunity to break into the sprinkles!
    I will have to try this dough next time I make cookies. It’s so much like mine except it has a whole extra stick of butter! How can that be bad?
    These look great, Sally. Another winner ;)

Hayleyposted June 14, 2012 at 10:21 am

What just happened?! Those chocolate covered pretzels went INSIDE those awesome, puffy cookies?! The ones that look like a miniature version of me could jump happily on top of for hours on end?! I am DYING over here for some of these!!

Rebekahposted June 14, 2012 at 11:16 am

I think I am in love with you. Seriously. I bake a lot of stuff from your blog. And I love you. :-D

• Sallyreplied on June 14th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Haha!! And I love my readers too!! Thank you for the comments, I love reading them. :D

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted June 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Ok glad you tried really chilling the dough, well. For a day. Yes, it makes a HUGE difference. There is no need for any other cookie dough base, I agree. Between the recipe itself and the chilled dough, you’ve hit cookie-making nirvana. It’s great when you find that perfect recipe and method that you know is going to be perfection. I am finally there too :)

Karlyposted June 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Um, yes. I’ve made these before. But I totally cheated and used the Flipz pretzels from the store. Either way, YUMMIEST COOKIES EVAR.

• Sallyreplied on June 14th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

FLipz pretzels are da bombbbbbb! (yep, i just said da bomb.)

Shirley@bells-bakeryposted June 14, 2012 at 5:40 pm

man oh man do these look awesome! Im all about chunky cookies myself! Pretzels in cookies…you ROCK sally..yum :)

• Sallyreplied on June 14th, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Thanks Shirley! Love chunky cookies :)

Baking Serendipityposted June 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Pretzels in chocolate chip cookies are one of my absolute favorites! Yours look so good :)

• Sallyreplied on June 14th, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Thanks Sarah!

Sarahposted June 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I have my go-to cookie dough recipe too, but this one looks super moist and delicious – just how I like them! I’ll have to give it a go sometime:)

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted June 14, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Holy cow. These look AWESOME!

Julie @ Table for Twoposted June 14, 2012 at 9:54 pm

pretzels with chocolate…thick fluffy cookies..all are calling my name and my oven is calling my name too because i’m desperately having a case of the sweet tooth and i have ZERO cookies in the house..omg, it’s tragedy!!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifeposted June 15, 2012 at 1:19 am

I have thrown pretzels into cookies before, but never chocolate coated pretzels…dddduuuuddeee That’s awesome!!! And I have just started chilling my dough too and it does make a huge difference. (thank you Averie for this tidbit) My hubby likes the flat thin cookies, but give me a puffy chewy one any day! Your recipe is very similar to mine too!

• Sallyreplied on June 15th, 2012 at 6:29 am

Yes Jocelyn – chilling the dough has made a WORLD of a difference in my cookie baking. Try chocolate covered pretzels next time!! xo, Sally

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted June 16, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Such an awesome cookie! I love eating chocolate covered pretzels. I can’t buy nor make them because I will eat every. Single. One.

• Sallyreplied on June 16th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Lol Dorothy, I’m the SAME way! Sooo very addicting.

Michelleposted June 20, 2012 at 2:04 am

Sally,
    These look amazing! I can’t wait to try this recipe. You’ll see it on my blog soon :) Thanks so much for stopping by Creative Thursday last week. I couldn’t do these parties without you. Can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2012 at 7:30 am

Thanks Michelle! I hope you make and enjoy these cookies – they are outstanding! I love Creative Thursdays :)

Keyuriposted August 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I made these cookies following your recipe yesterday and they turned out AMAZING!!!! SO DELICIOUS! =) Thanks for posting helpful tips for those of us that are not used to baking from scratch! The tips really helped =).

I can’t wait to try some of your other recipes!! Thanks again Sally!

• Sallyreplied on August 5th, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Keyuri! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and tell me that you enjoyed the cookies! I’m so glad that my tips helped and that you want to try some other recipes. :)

Ikhlasposted September 1, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Really great recipe! One question/concern that I have is how do you handle the dough when you take it out of the fridge after several hours? After refrigerating my dough for a few hours, I have fallen in love with this method, but struggle with the presentation of the cookies, since it’s hard use a cookie scoop on the dough.

Any tips/tricks you use would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    xx

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Hi there! I let it soften for about 5-10 minutes when I remove the dough from the refrigerator. The dough is still cold, but it is much more manageable! Another method I use is that I scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet and then freeze the balls for 3-4 minutes before putting in the oven. You could also just chill the pre-scooped balls, rather than the whole bowl of dough. Hope this helps!

• Ikhlasreplied on September 3rd, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Hi Sally!

Thanks so much for the tips! :) I was struggling a bit with the hard dough, so I think scooping it out before I chill the dough is a great idea!

Thanks :)

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Good luck!! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cherylposted December 6, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This cookie looks so yummy! How long do the cookies stay fresh? Do the pretzels get soft or do they keep their crunch? I’m thinking of making these for my cookie exchange but have to make them days in advance. Do you have a recommendation for storage?

• Sallyreplied on December 6th, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Hi Cheryl! The cookies stay fresh for up to 7 days, covered at room temperature – I keep them in a tightly sealed tupperware. The pretzels maintain their crunch for the most part. I would make them – at the most – 3 days in advance. They aren’t as soft by day 4 or 5.

Lieciaposted May 5, 2013 at 6:06 pm

So what happens when you put two cups of Chocolate Chips?

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I’m not sure what you are asking. You may use all chocolate chips in this recipe.

Lieciaposted May 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Your recipe says only substitute up to 1 1/2 Cups. I was asking, basically is it is okay for me to use two cups of Chocolate Chips?

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2013 at 8:35 pm

The cookies may not be as thick with the extra chocolate, but yes you may add more.

Mariaposted August 28, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Hi again Sally!
    I was wondering if you have any advice for pretzels that tast stale after there baked into some yummy goodness? Or is it just me!? I’ve used an unopened bag as well as a snacked on bag and everytime I bake em, they taste stale/chewy.
    Thanks! Oh!, Love the new look of your site..:)

• Sallyreplied on August 28th, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Hi Maria! I’m so glad you’re enjoying my new layout. Thank you for letting me know! Hard pretzels tend to stay crunchy in these cookies and all of my other baked goods too. Perhaps it’s the kind of pretzels you’re using? Overtime, the pretzels will get stale of course – but not after just being baked.

Nicoleposted December 23, 2013 at 8:52 am

Sally,
    A very important man in my life bit into these cookies and said, “Oh my God, these are the best cookies I’ve ever had…I can’t tell my mom”. The credit goes to you….your website is exceptional, I’ve never had so much fun in the kitchen. The Christmas table will be full of goodies from your website. Thank you!!!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2013 at 9:01 am

Thanks Nicole. So happy you made these and that they were a hit. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: sweet & salty potato chip toffee cookies.

2. Pingback: sweet & salty potato chip toffee cookies.