Coming as no surprise to you, I’d like to share the fact that I seriously love to make cookies. Similar to rice krispie treats, cookies are like a buttery, sweet blank canvas for a variety of flavors, add-ins, and varieties. There are so many options!
Chocolate chips, marshmallows, coconut, raisins, nuts, candy bars, butterscotch, you name it.
They can be mini, large, or the size of your head.
Soft, chewy, thick, crispy, covered in frosting or rolled in sprinkles.
But most importantly, they can be full of peanut butter and stuffed with Rolos. Because… umm… why not?
I first made these rolo stuffed peanut butter cookies much too long ago. They were a huge hit and we gobbled them right up.
With a bag of Rolos sitting in my pantry and my love for peanut butter, I knew I had to make the cookies again for you today.
The basic peanut butter cookie recipe produces a very puffy and very soft cookie. In fact, I used this same peanut butter cookie recipe as the base for my Peanut Butter Lovers’ Cookies last week!
It is my go-to peanut butter cookie and any baker knows that finding the PERFECT recipe for a cookie is certainly a feat! Thick, chewy, & soft are all necessary components of my cookies.
Oh and being STUFFED with caramel is a new cookie requirement as well.
The directions to make these cookies are pretty straight forward. Scoop 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter dough. Split in half. Stick a rolo on the bottom half, kind of like a “cradle” as shown:
Top the cradled Rolo with some more peanut butter dough and you’ve got yourself one monster cookie dough ball with a sweet caramel surprise hidden inside.
I posted a picture of these cookies on my facebook page earlier this week as a sneak preview. MANY of you thought that it was a sort of jam inside! That actually sounds incredible. Next recipe, perhaps? Oh man, I love peanut butter and jelly.
You’re going to go nuts for these cookies. The first bite, warm out of the oven, with melty chocolate and gooey caramel is simply irresistible.
Makes 2 dozen cookies. Store at room temperature for up to 7 days.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (or light brown)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 24 Rolos
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand alone mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Stir in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla (in that order). Slowly mix in the baking soda and flour. Do not overmix. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take 1.5 tbsp scoop of the chilled dough and split in half. Stick a rolo on the bottom half, kind of like a "cradle" as shown above. Top the rolo with the other half of the scooped dough and seal down the sides so that the rolo is securely stuffed inside. Repeat with the rest of the dough and all 24 rolos. Bake for 9 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
*You may use unsalted butter in this recipe. If so, add 1/4 tsp salt with the flour.
Recipe Source: sallysbakingaddiction.com
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Did I mention I like cookies?
Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Oatmeal Scotchies (my favorite cookie, ever)
What’s your favorite kind of cookie? Mine is anything with peanut butter or butterscotch!