Rolo-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies.

Super soft and thick peanut butter cookies stuffed with gooey caramel. These cookies are irresistible!

Rolo Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies by

Coming as no surprise to you, I’d like to share the fact that I seriously love to make cookies. Similar to rice krispie treats, cookies are like a buttery, sweet blank canvas for a variety of flavors, add-ins, and varieties. There are so many options! Chocolate chips, marshmallows, coconut, raisins, nuts, candy bars, butterscotch, you name it. They can be mini, large, or the size of your head. Soft, chewy, thick, crispy, covered in frosting or rolled in sprinkles.

But most importantly, they can be full of peanut butter and stuffed with Rolos. Because… umm… why not?

I first made these rolo stuffed peanut butter cookies much too long ago.  They were a huge hit and we gobbled them right up.

With a bag of Rolos sitting in my pantry and my love for peanut butter, I knew I had to make the cookies again for you today.

The basic peanut butter cookie recipe produces a very puffy and very soft cookie. In fact, I used this same peanut butter cookie recipe as the base for my Peanut Butter Lovers’ Cookies last week!

It is my go-to peanut butter cookie and any baker knows that finding the PERFECT recipe for a cookie is certainly a feat! Thick, chewy, & soft are all necessary components of my cookies. Oh and being STUFFED with caramel is a new cookie requirement as well. :)

The directions to make these cookies are pretty straight forward. Scoop 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter dough. Split in half. Stick a rolo on the bottom half, kind of like a “cradle” as shown:

Top the cradled Rolo with some more peanut butter dough and you’ve got yourself one monster cookie dough ball with a sweet caramel surprise hidden inside.

You’re going to go nuts for these cookies.  The first bite, warm out of the oven, with melty chocolate and gooey caramel is simply irresistible.

Rolo-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies

Makes 2 dozen cookies. Store at room temperature for up to 7 days.

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar (or light brown)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 24 Rolos

In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand alone mixer, cream the butter and sugars together. Stir in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla (in that order). Slowly mix in the baking soda and flour. Do not overmix. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Take 1.5 tbsp scoop of the chilled dough and split in half. Stick a rolo on the bottom half, kind of like a "cradle" as shown above. Top the rolo with the other half of the scooped dough and seal down the sides so that the rolo is securely stuffed inside. Repeat with the rest of the dough and all 24 rolos. Bake for 9 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

*You may use unsalted butter in this recipe. If so, add 1/4 tsp salt with the flour.

Did I mention I like cookies? 😉

Butterscotch Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Oatmeal Scotchies (my favorite cookie, ever)

Whole Wheat PB Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies

Oreo Cheesecake Cookies

Oreo Cheesecake Cookies

Q: What’s your favorite kind of cookie?

Mine is anything with peanut butter, caramel, or butterscotch.

Rolo-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies

105 Responses to “Rolo-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies.”

Lindsayposted June 17, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Would these be doable without the pb ?

Tamaraposted July 2, 2014 at 4:48 pm

These were possibly the best peanut butter cookies I have ever had. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Andreaposted July 14, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Wow. Wow wow wow. I am a 29 yo woman married to a totally awesome 30 year old man who loves cookies. When we got married four years ago, I vowed to make him cookies whenever he wanted them. Since then, I have been on a quest to find a really really good peanut butter cookie recipe (he particularly loves a good peanut butter cookie). I have failed UNTIL TONIGHT! I just finished making this recipe (with and without rolos) and they are literally the most amazing cookies I have ever made or tasted. My husband pretty much fell on the floor in delight.

Wow. You are the best. I am in cookie love.

Sarah Cromartyposted September 14, 2014 at 10:43 am

Stumbled across your site whikst searching for a pb cookie recipie (I had a bag of reeces peanut butter chips in my cupboard from a visit to the us) can i just say a massive thank you cos your cookies are amazing! I made the rolo stuffed ones and added the pb chips to the dough sooooooooooo good! I immediately bought your fab book from amazon and have been sharing your recipes with my friends. I thank you but my waistline doesn’t!

• Sallyreplied on September 14th, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Thank you so much for reporting back about these cookies AND for purchasing my cookbook!

Jaimeposted December 9, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Someone told me about a similar type cookie; basically topping the peanut butter/rolo cookies with some salt for a salted-caramel cookie. Sounds good; I’m definitely going to attempt your recipe above adding the sprinkle of salt. Thanks for sharing!

Brittneyposted January 18, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Okay so now I’ve tried you’re blueberry lemon sweet rolls and these! You’re amazing, the only thing(s) I changed was putting Reese’s pieces throughout the dough and a Reese’s pb cup in the middle of every cookie. My first batch came out so incredibly puffy and delicious, I DON’T like peanut butter cookies at all, but now that I’ve tried these I do! Keep up your amazing work!

Amyposted March 15, 2015 at 7:32 am

hi Sally, I was so excited to make these cookies but after making them I’m really disappointed as they haven’t really flattened out, they’ve stayed very thick and cakes! Any ideas where I went wrong? Thanks :-)

• Sallyreplied on March 15th, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I wonder if you overmeasured the flour Amy? Try reducing the flour by a Tablespoon or two. You can also try gently pressing the cookie dough balls down a little before going into the oven.

Cathalposted May 1, 2015 at 12:14 am

Im new to the baking world and your recipes lool amazing! Just wondering, after you stuff the rolo into the bottom half and then cover it with the remaining dough, do you have to flatten it down in order for it to bake properly?

• Sallyreplied on May 1st, 2015 at 7:20 am

Nope! No need to flatten.

Coléne Watsonposted August 14, 2015 at 10:50 am

Hi Sally! So excited I found this recipy! Trying it here in South Africa for the 1st time! Did you mean 350 degrees Fahrenheit? We use Celsius here.

Thank you so much!

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2015 at 11:32 am

Yes– 350°F

1. Pingback: chewy butterfinger cookies

2. Pingback: soft andes mint chocolate chunk cookies.

3. Pingback: Good Days and Bad Days « Candy Coated Runner