My favorite soft-baked and extra thick peanut butter cookie recipe with heart shaped chocolates.
It goes without saying that I love peanut butter. Peanut butter cookies are definitely one of my favorites, but I’m not a fan of how hard, crunchy, and crumbly they can taste. It’s taken me some time to perfect, but I have the softest, puffiest peanut butter cookie recipe for you today!
They are absolutely loaded with peanut butter flavor and are the softest peanut butter cookie you’ll ever eat.
Peanut butter blossoms are my favorite cookies during Christmas time. But I took the whole idea and added a little Valentine’s Day touch with some Dove chocolate hearts. I know you and your sweetheart will love them! (PS: I’ve done these with peanut butter cups too! See my peanut butter cup cookies.)Print
Soft peanut butter cookies with Valentine’s Day heart candies!
- 1 and 1/4 cups (156g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick; 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (185g) creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 24 dove chocolate hearts
- optional: additional 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar for rolling
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on high speed until creamy. On medium-high speed, beat in brown sugar and granulated sugar until completely creamed and smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and beat on high until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the peanut butter and vanilla extract, then beat on high until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator (and up to 3 days). If chilling for longer than a few hours, though, allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before rolling and baking because the dough will be quite hard and the cookies may not spread much.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. (Always recommended for cookies.) Set aside.
- Scoop and roll cookie dough, about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough each. Roll each ball in the additional granulated sugar (optional) and arrange on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the tops begin to slightly crack. Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Press a chocolate heart into each cookie and allow to cool completely.
- Make Ahead Instructions: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Allow to come to room temperature then continue with step 4. Baked cookies freeze well for up to 3 months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well for up to 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw. Click here for my tips and tricks on freezing cookie dough.
- Be sure to check out my top 5 cookie baking tips AND these are my 10 must-have cookie baking tools.
Keywords: peanut butter sweetheart cookies, sweetheart cookies