Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread.

Super-moist banana bread with a thick cinnamon swirl and topped with vanilla glaze.

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread - for those of you who love banana bread and warm, gooey cinnamon rolls!

Early last week, I picked up a bunch of bananas and anxiously waited for them to turn the perfect shade of speckled brown. Sweet, over-ripened, and practically-rotten bananas are the force behind a spectacular banana bread. When it comes to bananas in banana bread, I like to say… the browner, the better.

Sunday morning, I woke up like a giddy little girl on Christmas morning and popped my head into the kitchen in hopes to find my perfect speckled bananas waiting for me.  I like to stick mine in a brown paper bag to speed up the process. Who has patience?  Not this girl.

Alas, the naners were ready.  50 quick minutes later, a star banana bread was born.

Amazing Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread. Moist, tender, swirled with cinnamon, and topped with vanilla glaze. Recipe:

This is by far the easiest banana bread you’ll ever make. 5 minutes to mix together, pop in the oven, go back to sleep…

…at least that’s what I did. 😉

Soon enough, you’ll be graced with an alluring scent wafting through the house and one fine lookin’ bread ready in the oven.

Easy Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread - a recipe for all of you who love banana bread and warm, gooey cinnamon rolls!

What you’ll love most is that there is only 1/2 stick butter in the entire recipe.  The bread is left moist and tender from the vanilla yogurt and bananas, so there really wasn’t any need for more artery clogging fat.

But there’s obviously a need for a sweet heavy cream/powdered sugar glaze. There’s always a need for that. Sure the drippy glaze is drool-worthy, but what I loved most about the banana bread is the pretty little cinnamon ribbon hiding inside.

I’m a true cinnamon fiend and love to sprinkle cinnamon sugar on just about anything these days. A thick layer of the good stuff peeking through the moist banana bread layers is to die for.

Because of the added sweetness in the glaze and cinnamon-sugar layer, I reduced the sugar in the actual bread itself. I don’t enjoy a sugar-bomb banana bread because it takes away from the most important part – the bananas. Unless of course it’s this banana bread.

Today’s bread is unreal. It’s like biting into a huge cinnamon bun but better. A beautiful merging of moist, dense banana bread with sticky, sweet cinnamon rolls.

Make this now. You’re welcome.

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread

Yield: 1 loaf

Moist, flavorful banana bread swirled with a thick layer of cinnamon and topped with cream vanilla glaze.

Banana Bread

• 2 cups (250g) white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, not packed
  • 4 Tablespoons (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 and 1/2 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
  • 1/3 cup (80g) plain or vanilla yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cinnamon Swirl

• 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Simple Glaze

• 1/2 cup (60g) powdered sugar, sifted
  • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) heavy cream (or half-and-half or milk)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter with a stand or handheld mixer on medium speed until well blended – about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a wooden spoon, stir in the mashed banana, yogurt, and vanilla. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Do NOT overmix. Batter will be thick.
  3. Spoon half of the batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar swirl ingredients. Top with remaining batter. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
  4. While the bread is cooling, make the glaze in a small bowl by combining the powdered sugar and heavy cream. Add more powdered sugar until you reached desired thickness. Drizzle over banana bread. Bread will stay fresh and moist at room temperature for up to 10 days in an airtight container.

Here are my favorite banana bread recipes.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Banana Bread

White Chocolate Chip Mango Banana Bread

Caramel Swirl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Caramel Swirl Chocolate Chip Banana Bread-7

Nutella Swirled Peanut Butter Banana Bread

234 Responses to “Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread.”

Theresa Kposted March 29, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Hi Sally! Thank you so much for this incredible recipe – it’s in the oven right now and smells amazing! I was browsing your blog earlier and my fiance (who typically does not like sweets) stopped me on two or three recipes because the pictures looked so good. So this week will be full of delicious baking!!

I have previously made your Super Crumb Coffee Cake and the Raspberry Almond Thumbprint Cookies, and wow, were they great. Can’t wait to try more!

• Sallyreplied on March 30th, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Hope you enjoy this bread, Theresa! And I’m so happy that you love a few of my other recipes too. The crumb cake and those thumbprint cookies are great choices!

Carrieposted March 30, 2014 at 11:05 am

I don’t know what happened… I used all the right ingredients and measurements. I cooked it for 45 minutes and the middle was goey. I cooked it another 30 minutes on a slighty higher temperature and still goey in the middle. Totally bummed because now we have no breakfast. :(

• Sallyreplied on March 30th, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I’m quite concerned that a traditional quick loaf recipe won’t cook in your oven in 1 hour, 15 minutes. So sorry that it wasn’t cooked through – perhaps try checking your oven temperature with an oven thermometer or baking for longer until it is done.

Meredithposted April 18, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Sally, I just made these last night. After dinner just now, I gave one to my 14 month old in his high chair (his 2nd one today) and turned around to work on a cake for Easter. When I turned back around a minute or two later, my son had grabbed the tupperware of muffins (which apparently I left in his reach-Whoops!), pulled the lid off, and helped himself to FIVE more, which he piled on his high chair. After thanking him for the compliment, I took them away, moved the tupperware, and went back to work. The next thing I knew, he was eating yet another muffin! He must’ve stowed it down by his hip and I missed it!! Gabriel and I both thank you for the best banana bread recipe I’ve ever had!!

• Sallyreplied on April 19th, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Hahahahaha Meredith, that’s hysterical!! Your son truly loves his muffins. Too funny. Thanks for sharing!

Melissaposted April 27, 2014 at 11:48 am

Making this AGAIN for my family on this stormy day in Texas! Thanks for all your great recipies!!

Haleyposted April 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Do you happen to know the calories per slice :-/

Stephanie Rockposted May 13, 2014 at 9:24 am

Hi Sally, firstly, this recipe looks really awesome and easy to try! Thanks for sharing with us :) Secondly, quick question for you, can I use Mini loaf tins for this recipe, if so, how much batter do you recommend that I use per tin and how long should I leave it in for?
    Thanks again! 😀

• Sallyreplied on May 13th, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I’m unsure of the bake time for mini loaf pans, but fill them about halfway to 2/3 full. Enjoy!

• Stephanie Rockreplied on May 14th, 2014 at 9:47 am

Thanks for responding! I will definitely enjoy! :-)

Hayleyposted May 28, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I love bananas, but I’ve never been a fan of banana bread; however, I made this early this morning and to my great surprise I loved it! Might have something to do with all the cinnamon 😉

Lauraposted June 18, 2014 at 7:13 am

I am making this now for a morning coffee party. Looks delish!

• Sallyreplied on June 18th, 2014 at 10:24 am

Morning coffee party sounds like fun – can I come? 😉 Enjoy Laura!

sandra shediacposted July 13, 2014 at 1:41 pm

i just made this. THANK YOU.

Melodyposted August 11, 2014 at 9:55 pm

This looks delicious! I don’t really have any yogurt or it’s substitutes on hand…could I just use extra butter instead?

honeyletteposted August 21, 2014 at 12:11 pm

i made your banana bread with cream cheese frosting the other day and my parents loved it i had to make a new batch for my sisters! i tried this version but i used your caramel as glaze instead and it rocked our house! :) we are banana and cinnamon lovers and yes, this will be a main stay recipe in our oven :)
    by the way, i made your monkey bread with caramel this afternoon and we’re waiting for tomorrow to try it! i will also be baking your white chocolate chip cranberry cookies tomorrow! i’ve been taste testing your site for four consecutive days now and i LOVE all of it! thank you so much for the wonderful recipes :)

Jessicaposted August 21, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Making this now…so excited! One thing I found unclear…in the recipe it says to add the dry ingredients, but should those be mixed in by hand or with the mixer? Maybe I’m having a blonde moment!

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Hi Jessica! Sorry about that. Mix in the dry ingredients by hand.

Rebeccaposted August 24, 2014 at 3:35 am

I made this recipe yesterday and it was soooo good! Thanks for posting the recipe! Everyone loved it! Especially with the cinnamon swirl and cream icing!

Tessposted August 24, 2014 at 11:52 am

I made this recipe and it came out so good. It was so soft and yummy and my mom loved it. Thank you so much for the recipe. I’ve tried the cinnamon roll cake too and that turned out so well too.. I so happy cause I didn’t know I could actually bake anything.. :)

Danielaposted August 25, 2014 at 11:12 am

Thanks Sally, this banana bread is so tasty, I wanna devour it. But it’s filling! 😀 Very yummy. Never made banana bread before, but I love it and so simple to make.

Jessica @ BikiniBakerposted September 2, 2014 at 9:24 am

YUM! Just made this last night and it is sooo good! I love how it’s not overly sweet and you get that crunchy little swirl in every bite. Thanks, Sally!

Ellenposted September 20, 2014 at 10:36 pm

I just finished baking this and tried a is AH-MAZ-ING let me tell ya! It was perfectly moist and sweet. Soooo delicious! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Amyposted September 21, 2014 at 11:30 am

Absolutely delicious as a bread! Moist as all of your bread + muffin recipes. Any time I make your recipes, friends always ask for your recipes. Keep pointing them back to your website! :)

Samposted September 21, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I don’t normally comment on recipes, but I just wanted to say that this turned out great! I’ve avoided making quick breads in my current oven because the middle never cooks and the top burns. I didn’t have enough banana, so I subbed in half a cup of pumpkin and used a half whole wheat and half all purpose flour, and even with these modifications, it turned out delicious.

Thank you for giving me hope in making quick breads again! 😀

Tamposted September 29, 2014 at 7:32 pm

So bummed. Stopped at the store to get the remaining ingredients to make this and I can’t find my loaf pan…grrrrrrrrr lol. I am going to figure something out as I am so excited to find this recipe.

Adrienneposted October 20, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Anxious to see how this turns out – I doubled it thinking I’d make two, then couldmt find the right loaf pan for the second loaf. Ended up using the whole doubled recipe in a bundt pan instead! Timer is set for 50 minutes, but I’m sure it will take longer than that!

Susanposted October 22, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Ok, seriously?! I made this today and it is truly scrumptious. I am training for my 1st 1/2 marathon which is this weekend. I literally have not lost an ounce during my training. I couldn’t figure out why- but then quickly I realized it is because I have been bake training/eating the baking as well with your blog :). Thanks for the great recipe!

Sarahposted November 13, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Can applesauce be substituted for the yogurt, to add moisture?

Erinposted November 21, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I ended up disappointed. I left my bread in for 55 minutes and was gooey around the cinnamon layer :(

dawnposted February 10, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Love this, i have made this 3 times already! Super yummy! I’m making it again tonight!

Jessicaposted March 25, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Not sure if anyone has asked this already…but can this be made into muffins? Do you have to make any changes to the recipe with ingredients or baking times?

Janetposted March 30, 2015 at 9:50 pm

This is by far the best banana bread I ever tasted. I didn’t bother with the glaze. It’s plenty sweet without it. It did take about 55 minutes. Janet

Melodieposted April 9, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Loved the bread, but mine came out gooey in the center also.

DeeDeeposted May 7, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Sally, I make this bread all of the time, but I’m out of butter today! Do you think I could swap it for oil?

• Sallyreplied on May 8th, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Butter is definitely best here.

GGposted May 15, 2015 at 10:51 pm

I just made muffins with this recipe.  I even had enough batter after filling 12 regular muffin cups to fill 6 mini’s.  I didn’t “swirl” the minis, though.
    So quick!  They’re for a graduation breakfast

Amber Smithposted June 13, 2015 at 1:27 pm

I made the cinnamon swirl banana bread just now. It looks and smells great, but it took me more like equal parts powdered sugar and heavy cream to make a glaze. I don’t know how 1 tablespoon would cut it for half a cup of sugar.

Melissaposted June 25, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I made these as muffins and instead of the icing I put more cinnamon  and sugar on top. They turned out great! Baked for 20 minutes and then yummo!

Maryposted July 12, 2015 at 9:32 am

Be warned…your bread might stay fresh longer in an airtight container, but it will ruin the glaze!  The glaze will melt/seep into the bread causing it to just be soggy. Glazed breads need air!  I made this bread yesterday and loved the crunchy (maybe not the best description) glaze. I was so disappointed to wake up this morning and see that the glaze had melted and soaked into the bread. It still tastes good though.

Amandaposted July 27, 2015 at 8:40 am

It may be due to the pregnancy (I am a whopping 8 1/2 months pregnant, eek!), but I am imagining a warm banana bread with a cinnamon swirl and small chunks of apples and walnuts mixed in. I am in love with your blog and have come to only use your recipes for baking. This is the closest recipe I can find. Do you think adding in apples to the batter would work? I have not experimented with apples much, any suggestions for how I would do this? Would I need to cook them at all first, or would the 50 minutes in the oven be enough? I am also wondering if their density would cause them to sink to the bottom leaving me with a disappointing bread. I may try it either way though, because this baby says that we have to have it.

(BTW) Thank you for your recipes! I purchased your cookbook a couple of months ago and I love it! I plan to buy a couple more for Christmas presents this year. You are truly talented in baking, but your creative writing style brings your entire blog together. Your recipes have gotten me through two pregnancies and two lonely deployments when baking is the only thing to bring me comfort at 1 am while my sailor is out to sea.

• Sallyreplied on July 27th, 2015 at 11:44 am

Amanda, you are so sweet. Thank you so, so much for the wonderful comment. Loved reading it! You should turn to the first recipe in my book. Apple bread! You’d love it. For this banana bread, however, you can absolutely add chopped apples and walnuts. I would add 1 cup diced apples. Do not cook them. You can peel them if you’d like to. I don’t expect them to sink. For walnuts, try to adding around 3/4 cup.

Hannaposted August 7, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I want to start off and say I absolutely love this recipe! But mine did not turn out like the one in your picture :/ the top of my loaf is like a hard crust with a crack down the center (like an actual loaf of bread) , not soft and moist like yours looks and the inside of the loaf is a lot lighter in color. I measured all the ingredients correctly and my bananas were definitely over ripe, but it did take an additional 20 mins for the tooth pick to come out clean. I always seem to have these issues when I bake banana bread with every recipe I use – I’m always striving for that perfectly dark and moist coffee shop like banana bread like the one in your pictures I wonder what I’m doing wrong?

Delaneyposted August 8, 2015 at 10:13 am

Yum!!! I added about a 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts to the cinnamon sugar layer and the cinnamon sugar coated them…such a good idea! Also skipped the glaze because I don’t like the taste of powdered sugar.

Jaimeposted August 27, 2015 at 7:49 pm

I made this today for teacher gifts and will never make another recipe. This is my official banana bread recipe now. So delicious!  Thank you!

Nimiwariposted September 17, 2015 at 9:07 am

I am such a Fan of your site….my house smells like one of your recipes at least 4 times a week! I love this recipe! I have even poured it into my muffin pans and made amazing muffins which my family loves!

• Sallyreplied on September 17th, 2015 at 12:04 pm

So glad you bake my recipes on the regular– and this banana bread is one of my personal favorites!

Gillianeposted September 25, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I made this bread for the first time today–hands down one of my favorite banana bread recipes.  I added mini chocolate chips because to my kids it is not banana bread without them.  I have made countless recipes of yours, I love that I am guaranteed a fabulous baked good each time.

Palomaposted October 3, 2015 at 9:44 am

I am a huge fan of your blog and am always trying out your recipes! My family is obsessed! The only problem is I’m allergic to dairy, so sometimes I’ll have to play around with the recipe to make it work for me. Any suggestions on how to make this bread work in my favor??

• Sallyreplied on October 3rd, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Paloma, how about dairy-free yogurt and a dairy-free butter like earth balance brand (the baking sticks).

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nutposted October 3, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Ha I love that you went back to bed while it baked…sometimes when I have an extra 10 minutes before work I take a nap…#tiredgirlprobs

Looks amazing as usual, Sally!

Amyposted November 13, 2015 at 8:17 pm

This bread was absolutely delicious BUT it was mushy in the middle like other people have stated. I baked it 15 minutes longer and it became clear that it was not going to firm up in the middle unless the rest became overdone. Also, I thought the glaze was unnecessary as there’s a lot of sweetness with the swirl. Very moist though and I’ll make again but in a bundt pan.

Jessposted November 19, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Hello!  Your write-up mentions you cut down the sugar.  My question is whether that is reflected in the recipe?  I just wasn’t sure if the recipe was the original sugar amount or the reduced?  thank you!

• Sallyreplied on November 20th, 2015 at 9:37 am

The written recipe is the reduced sugar version.

Meganposted November 24, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I usually don’t comment on recipes but I just made this and… WOW. So ridiculously good!!! I also made the chocolate zucchini bread last night. (I’m in a baking mood!) and that was also delicious!!! Thanks so much!

Side note, for anyone reading, I needed to bake mine for about 55 minutes. I guess my oven is whack.

1. Pingback: The Weekend Dish 9/22/2012

2. Pingback: S’Mores Banana Bread | What's On the Stove?