Super-moist banana bread with a thick cinnamon swirl and topped with vanilla glaze.
This is by far the easiest banana bread you’ll ever make. 5 minutes to mix together, pop in the oven, go back to sleep…
…at least that’s what I did. 😉
Soon enough, you’ll be graced with an alluring scent wafting through the house and one fine lookin’ bread ready in the oven.
What you’ll love most is that there is only 1/2 stick butter in the entire recipe. The bread is left moist and tender from the vanilla yogurt and bananas, so there really wasn’t any need for more.
But there’s obviously a need for a sweet heavy cream/powdered sugar glaze. There’s always a need for that. Sure the drippy glaze is drool-worthy, but what I loved most about the banana bread is the pretty little cinnamon ribbon hiding inside.
Because of the added sweetness in the glaze and cinnamon-sugar layer, I reduced the sugar in the actual bread itself. I don’t enjoy a sugar-bomb banana bread because it takes away from the most important part – the bananas. Unless of course it’s this banana bread.
Make this now. You’re welcome.Print
Super-moist, flavorful banana bread swirled with a thick layer of cinnamon and topped with cream vanilla glaze.
- 2 cups (250g) white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar, not packed
- 4 Tablespoons (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups mashed very ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/3 cup (80g) plain or vanilla yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (60g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter with a stand or handheld mixer on medium speed until well blended – about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a wooden spoon, stir in the mashed banana, yogurt, and vanilla. Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Do NOT overmix. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon half of the batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar swirl ingredients. Top with remaining batter. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
- While the bread is cooling, make the glaze in a small bowl by combining the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla. Add more powdered sugar until you reached desired thickness. Drizzle over banana bread.
- Cover and store glazed banana bread at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Banana bread tastes best on day 2 after the flavors have settled together.
Keywords: cinnamon swirl banana bread, cinnamon banana bread