Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Candied Nuts.

Once you pop, you can’t stop. These homemade cinnamon sugar candied nuts are addictive, crowd-pleasing, and dangerously simple!

Photos updated October 2014.

Once you pop, you can't stop. These homemade cinnamon sugar candied nuts are addictive, crowd-pleasing, and dangerously simple!

Candied nuts swimming in a thick cinnamon-sugar crusted shell, the sweetly spiced aroma dancing around the house as you make them, and their bite-size addictive crunchiness… I just love everything about today’s treat. This classic is and has always been one of my very favorites around the holidays.

The recipe is from my mom’s dear friend Sharyn. My mom had one taste and has been making them for my family for years. When I went home over Thanksgiving, the first thing I needed… before any turkey or pumpkin pie… was this candied nut recipe.

I had NO IDEA candied nuts were so easy to make. It’s a dangerous, yet amazing thing.

Homemade Candied Nuts - I love this recipe!

Only about 10 minutes of prep work, 30 minutes of wait time, and about 5 minutes to sit on your tush and eat an entire bowl of them. I’m not kidding.  As I sat on the couch watching How I Met Your Mother, a huge bowl of the nuts in hand, I realized that… ooops… I ate them all.  Time to grab more from the batch, don’t mind if I do!

Thank goodness they are typically only made around the holidays. But I don’t think that is going to stop me from making a batch of this notoriously addictive snack in July.

This candied nut recipe will work for any kind of nuts, but I prefer using pecans because  the cinnamon sugar goo gets stuck in the pecan’s little crevices.  All of the pecan’s crinkles are enveloped with a thick layer of the sweet stuff. I also used almonds in today’s batch as well – I wanted a second nut in the batch for a variety of texture. The sugared coating works well on almonds, but a smooth nut does not “catch” as much coating as a pecan. Peanuts, cashews, macadamias – whatever you’d like to use up in your pantry – would also work as the second nut in this recipe, but make sure you use pecans as the primary base.

If you’re anything like me, you want a heavily coated nut and pecans will get ya there.

Candied Nuts

So what’s in this magical candied coating? Glad you asked. An easy 5 ingredient mixture.

First, you’ll beat two egg whites and 2 tablespoons of water to a frothy, fluffy, cloud-like consistency with very stiff peaks. It took me about 4 minutes, beaten on medium-high, to get the egg whites and water to that point. You want this mixture to be as voluminous as possible because the sugar will weigh it down. Next, add the sugar. Two cups of the sweet stuff.  You’re making candied nuts, not diet food.

Finally, mix in cinnamon and salt. I adore cinnamon in my recipes and, more often than not, have quite the heavy hand when pouring it. Cut down to 2 teaspoons at the minimum if you aren’t a cinnamon lover freak like I am. The salt in this mixture cuts down on the sweetness and each bite is partly salty/partly sweet/partly spiced. A plethora of pleasant taste profiles on your itty bitty tastebuds.

Homemade Candied Nuts

Once the sugar coating is ready, toss in the nuts and mix everything up well to cover every last morsel. Trust me, you want every inch of the nuts coated with a heavy blanket of the cinnamon/sugar/egg-whites, so make sure you do a job here.

Line a baking sheet with heavy duty parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.  You’ll be thankful you did – I certainly don’t want burnt cinnamon sugar glaze stuck to my baking sheet. Spread the coated nuts over the lined sheet and bake for 45 minutes at 300F, stirring every 15 minutes to avoid burning.  Warning: you’ll be so mesmerized by the glorious scent of the candied nuts roasting away in the kitchen, that you may just forget about anything else important in life.  Like laundry in the dryer or a voicemail from your boss… just be aware of that in advance. (oops)

As the nuts cool, you’ll find little crunchy sugared coating bits that didn’t quite make it onto the nuts scattered around. Those may just be my favorite little bites. I could eat a bowl of just the crispy sugar coating! Package them up in little treat bags for your friends or set them out at a holiday get-together, perhaps along with some sprinkle-loaded chocolate covered pretzels?

Homemade Candied Nuts - I love this recipe!

I have zero self control around these sugar bombs. Hey, egg whites and nuts are good for you, though… right?!

Candied Cinnamon-Sugar Nuts

Yield: 6 cups

That addicting and delicious holiday snack found at the mall can be made at home. And will have your house smelling like the holidays in no time! Makes a wonderful holiday gift.

• 5 cups pecan halves, unsalted
  • 1 cup whole almonds, unsalted
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons salt

Preheat oven to 300F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray; or use a silicone baking mat. Set aside.

Mix pecans and almonds in a large bowl. Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and water on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and salt, gently folding until combined.

Pour/spoon sugar mixture over nuts and stir to coat completely. Spread nuts over the baking sheets and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15. Allow to cool completely and enjoy. Store nuts at room temperature for a few weeks, covered.

*Recipe can easily be halved to keep around the house or doubled to feed a large crowd.

This recipe comes from Sharyn, my mom's wonderful friend. Thank you Sharyn!

What are your favorite sweet snacky foods? Try these next.

Chocolate Covered Pretzels

Chocolate Covered Pretzels

Mint Oreo Truffles

3 Ingredient Mint Oreo Truffles. A simple no-bake recipe favorite! sallysbakingaddiction.com

105 Responses to “Homemade Cinnamon Sugar Candied Nuts.”

Sarah R.posted December 28, 2013 at 9:56 am

I’ve made these several times using different recipes, but this one is the best! It definitely coated the nuts (I used only almonds) better than any other recipe. The only change I made was to add a little vanilla to the egg white mixture. They turned out amazing! I just wish I had used your parchment paper trick on the spiced nuts I made earlier. My pan is ruined! Thanks for another winner, Sally!

Michelleposted June 21, 2014 at 5:03 am

Hi Sally

Can i use the brown sugar instead of white sugar when i am making this Candied cinnamon Sugar Nuts? Can i add 1 table spoon of butter too?

• Sallyreplied on June 22nd, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Brown sugar would be fine – there is no need for butter though.

• Lindareplied on November 7th, 2014 at 1:41 pm

my recipe calls for a few drops of butter flavoring, give that a try.

Rebekahposted September 3, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Hello Sally-my-baking-hero!! So I make everything you post lol and I did these because they are my absolute favorites ever and I too run to the nearest stand at any event and buy several….so anyway my question…I made thrm….very good..but were more like meringue coated nut (very good just not what I was expecting) did I just over beat my white? (Also…they are white not a hint of brown and cooked for 45 min?)thanks! !

• Sallyreplied on September 4th, 2014 at 7:19 am

Sounds like you overheat the egg white. Which is easily fixable! I’m glad you’re still enjoying them. A little less time for the egg white beating. Enjoy, Rebekah!

Angieposted September 16, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I did not see the amount of nuts to add either.

Pamposted October 25, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Hi Sally, First off, let me say that reading your instructions and commentary for this recipe was very entertaining. You have an amazing sense of humor (re: the great ‘How I Met Your Mother’ nut incident, haha) as well as humility and you should write a gathering of recipes with your humorous twists. I know I’d buy several – Of course one for me, and then several for gifts, etc :)
    The recipe is the best I have found AND tasted so it will be a Party/Holiday staple. And I dedicate my first 10 pounds of added weight from these sweet gems, to you :) hahaaa… Thanks for sharing and ‘keep on keepin’ on’ :)

• Sallyreplied on October 26th, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Pam, thanks for the sweet comment! And thank you for crediting me for your future additional 10 lbs haha. Have a great holiday season!

Jadrankaposted November 17, 2014 at 4:51 pm

WOW! This is a discovery for me because I never eating candied pecans ,I make candied almonds which also addictive hahaha. This will definitely try. Great idea as a cute little gift for the upcoming Christmas. It troubles me one thing and that is salt, my question is whether the amount of salt can be reduced. Of course in the egg whites are always adds a certain amount of salt but two teaspoons seems somehow much salt … or maybe I’m wrong…Thanks for simply and magnificent recipe!

• Sallyreplied on November 17th, 2014 at 8:50 pm

You may reduce the salt to your liking. Enjoy!

Juli Phillipsposted December 5, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Oh my lands! HOLY GRAIL!!! Just made these for my bunco holiday treat exchange! THE BOMB! Thank you for this pure awesome recipe Sally! :)

Juliaposted December 6, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Just made these for a party I’m having tonight. They are delicious and I can’t stop eating them! I wouldn’t change a thing about this recipe.

Shannynposted December 7, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Wow. I have these in the oven right now> The house smells AMAZING!!

Taylorposted December 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm

I want to make these and put in mason jars as gifts this year. How long before i give the gift can i make them & them still be fresh enough for them to enjoy for a week or so?

• Sallyreplied on December 8th, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hi Taylor. These candied nuts are good for a few weeks, so you can make them anytime between now and the holiday.

Kathryn Cothernposted December 15, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Sally, I made a huge amount of candied nuts using your recipe as a base and then tweaking it some to achieve what I had in mind. These were a HUGE hit at my church council’s Christmas luncheon. Folks couldn’t stay away from the bowl! I encouraged folks to take some home since it would be too dangerous to have these in my pantry, and they were so excited to do so!!

I am making another huge batch today for teachers Christmas gifts. I like to give unique and homemade items.

Thanks again for getting me started!!! :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours! Oh yes, your first Christmas as a married lady! :)

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Wonderful! Happy to hear it. I love these nuts!

Kimposted December 18, 2014 at 9:34 am

This recipe looks amazing and I am making it today!! My question is how well do they keep? Do you need to be refigerated or can they keep in a sealed container ?

• Sallyreplied on December 18th, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hi Kim– Store nuts at room temperature for a few weeks, covered.

Darlaposted December 20, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I didn’t see exactly how much salt is supposed to be in this recipe. Could you help me with that?

• Sallyreplied on December 21st, 2014 at 8:10 am

Hi Darla, it is the last ingredient listed– 2 teaspoons salt

Lexposted December 22, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Hi Sally! Im making christmas boxes with a bunch of baked goods in them and i thought that these would go nicely in them, but can i use walnuts instead of almonds? thanks
    -lex xo

• Sallyreplied on December 22nd, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Walnut should be just fine! Enjoy.

Claireposted December 29, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Hi Sally, I’m here in Scotland eating a batch of sweet nuts from my local supermarket and they’re delicious but not cheap!
    They are:
    Cinnamon coated almonds
    Honey coated hazelnuts
    Maple coated pecans
    I went online to see how easy it would be to make them and youve definitely inspired me to try ☺️

Pamposted December 29, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I made these for a Christmas Open House the they were a huge hit. I had some left and took them to work and they disappeared. We are fortunate that a friend gives us halved pecans every Christmas so today I am making my second batch. I have never made candied nuts before and these are really easy and absolutely delicious. I will be making these more often for sure! Thank you and by the way, I have never seen that spelling of Sharyn except for my eldest sister, whose name is also Sharyn!

Pennyposted January 16, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Made these to go along with my Christmas cookies (ok, so I’m a little behind in adding a comment, don’t judge – lol)…anyway, they are ABSURDLY delicious! I coudn’t stop eating them.. Definetely be making them again & agian. Thanks for a great recipe!

Emilyposted February 17, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Hi there,
    thank you for the glorious recipe, these are in the oven right now and the smell is heavenly!! One question, when I stirred them after the first 15 min it kind of broke up the cool looking coating process it had going on, it was all smooth and golden and then when I stirred it it lost all smoothness and now the nuts are not completely covered – is that supposed to happen or did I do something weird when beating the egg whites?
    thanks so much, I know the’ll taste delicious anyway :)

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Hi Emily. The coating melts down a little in the oven. But as the nuts cool, they should look how they do in the photos you see here.

Maggieposted March 3, 2015 at 12:58 am

Looks so yummy! Have salted pistachio that needs to be used so wondering if using salted nuts instead of unsalted nuts would also work for this recipe? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on March 3rd, 2015 at 8:32 am

Absolutely. Especially if you love salty/sweet! Maybe cut back ever so slightly on the salt in the coating.

• Maggiereplied on March 4th, 2015 at 10:27 pm

That’s great! Thank you! I’ll have to definitely make this!

Staceyposted April 5, 2015 at 12:46 pm

My husband and I visit a tea and spice shop in Lemoyne, PA called Kauffman’s. It’s owned and run by a dear, sweet woman in her 80s named Betty. A friend of Betty’s makes candied nuts that are sold in the shop – delicious, salty, sweet gems of pure “I’ve died and gone to heaven.” The recipe is a guarded secret which I’ve not been able to get; no matter how many times I ask. Now I can stop asking (and bugging poor Betty). Sally, these are nearly identical and even… better! Thank you!!!

Debbieposted July 2, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Would Splenda work in place of regular sugar?

Carlyposted November 5, 2015 at 3:23 am

Hi, I am looking forward to making these soon for the fast approaching Silly Season. Just wondering if the nuts should be raw and still have their skins on- I guess blanched almonds wouldn’t hold the coating very well?

• Sallyreplied on November 5th, 2015 at 10:50 am

I haven’t had any issue using blanched almonds, actually.