Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls.

Raspberry Sweet Rolls - these are so good! Soft & fluffy sweet roll dough filled with juicy raspberries and drizzled with glaze.

I made, what I consider, the most perfect breakfast sweet roll over the weekend and I am so very excited to share them with you today!  Not only were they fun to photograph, they were SO incredible to eat and enjoy. Juicy, sticky, fluffy, sweet heaven.

Kevin’s mom and I spent our Friday night making sweet rolls. I’ve told you before, I’m a boring gal, but I really couldn’t think of a more perfect way to spend my evening after a long workweek. We decorated a Christmas tree and waited for the sweet rolls to rise. It was awesome. As we were kneading, rolling, cutting, and of course – taste-testing, I couldn’t help but kick myself in the butt. Why did I wait so long to make something like this? These rolls are SO fluffy, tender, soft, and oozing with sweet raspberry goo in every bite. I trust that you’ll be smarter than I am and dash to your kitchen right now to begin. 😉

*Be sure to read the whys and the why nots of this recipe if you are looking to make the rolls yourself:

To begin, warm up some milk. I did so on low heat over the stovetop until the milk was lukewarm – be careful not to scald the milk. I didn’t use a thermometer, but if you choose to do so, aim for roughly 95F degrees. Pour the milk into a bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment. Add your yeast and 2/3 cup of sugar. Stir it a little bit, cover, and walk away. You are testing your yeast for “proof” that it is alive and active with this first step. I checked the bowl about 10 minutes later  after I finished gathering the other ingredients for the rolls. If the yeast/sugar/milk solution has become frothy or bubbly, you have your “proof” that the yeast is alive. If not, the yeast is a dud. Toss it out and start over again with a new batch of active dry yeast. Our yeast was ready and good to go.

With the mixer running, add your softened butter – be sure it is not melted or too hard. Crack 2 large eggs, add them one at a time, then a touch of salt. Let the mixer run for a bit, which slowly breaks down the butter. Next, slowly add the flour, little by little. Mix for up to 10 minutes on medium high speed until a soft dough forms. I thought my mixer was going to break down as it jostled about for 10 minutes!

For the amount of flour: my recipe states 4.5 cups. I used 4 and 1/2 cups because the dough was much too sticky with anything less. To test the dough’s readiness, poke the dough with your finger and if it springs back, it is good to go. After mixing for 10 minutes and then kneading by hand on a floured surface, the dough was ready to rise. Form the dough into a ball, and place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a dish towel and set in a warm place, until it doubles in size. We had the stove on earlier from warming up the milk, so we placed the bowl on the flat electric stove-top and went to decorate the tree as we waited. If you make these in the summertime, be sure it is not an overly humid day as the air’s moisture will have a negative effect on the dough’s rising. The dough took about 1.5 hours to practically double in size.

Get your roll on. Break out your rolling pin (and your ruler!) and roll that glorious ball of dough into a 12×18 inch rectangle on a generously floured surface. Trust me, it will roll out into a rectangle this large. Make sure the dough is completely uniform in thickness. Mix frozen raspberries with a touch of cornstarch and sugar. Frozen – yes, frozen. Fresh raspberries will be much too juicy and delicate for the filling, which is perfect since they are not in their prime this time of year. Frozen berries are the way to go – try blueberries or cherries instead. Pour the cold sugared raspberries over the large dough rectangle and tightly roll up.

Using your sharpest knife, cut into 12 rolls. This means the rolls were precisely 1.5 inches in thickness. Stuff the rolls into your baking pan, leaving space between each one so they have room to expand. Cover your baking pan and store in a warm place once again.

Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls

More waiting time – about 2 hours. That’s ok, there really isn’t much “work time” with this recipe – just more “wait time.”  Alternatively, you could let the rolls rise overnight. See notes in the written recipe below. In this 2nd rise, be prepared for the berries to release their juices. The bottom of your pan will be FULL of a glorious sweet red raspberry juice, only to be absorbed in the baking process. It turns into an incredible sticky raspberry glaze over the bottom of the rolls.

The rolls only take about 25 minutes in the oven. Be sure to cover your rolls with foil– this is crucial to prevent the tops of your rolls from getting too brown.

Cool your rolls, in the pan, on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. I cooled mine overnight at room temperature so they’d be ready for their glaze shower first thing in the morning. Make your glaze. A simple combination of heavy cream and powdered sugar. Nothing else. Feel free to use half-and-half or milk. With either half-and-half or milk, keep in mind it you may need more sugar than I used to get the glaze to be as thick and creamy.

Homemade Raspberry Sweet Rolls | sallysbakingaddiction.com

Serve the rolls warm. I froze a few of mine (without glaze) to warm up and enjoy on Christmas morning. My mom was so excited to see a picture when I sent one to her of the finished rolls. She cannot wait to taste one!

These are incredible. The wait time, about 4 hours total, is a bit tedious but not too bad if you have other things to do around the house or let the rolls rise overnight to bake in the morning. Yeast, an ingredient requiring a ton of patience, is so worth it. There is quite simply nothing like a from-scratch, sweet, doughy roll first thing in the morning. The rolls are tender and fluffy, so soft and springy with each bite.  And so darn puffy! Simply put, imagine the softest dinner roll you’ve ever tasted.  Make them a little sweeter, add some sticky raspberries and creamy glaze and you can imagine what I’m trying to describe here.

I cannot even WAIT to make these into orange rolls, or use this recipe and make a caramel pecan filling. Or a simple cinnamon/sugar/butter filling.  I just cleared the store shelves from yeast over the weekend so I can get crackin’ on all my sweet roll plans.

Raspberry Sweet Rolls

Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours or overnight

Fluffy, sticky, & sweet raspberry rolls. Follow my easy directions and become a master at sweet roll making!

Yield: 12 large rolls

• 1 cup (240ml) milk
  • 2/3 cup (135g) granulated sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast (2 standard size packets)
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature and cut into 4 pieces
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 and 1/2 cups (562g) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting/rolling

• One 10-oz. package frozen raspberries (NOT thawed)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons (80g) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch

• 1 cup (120g) confectioners' sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream (or half-and-half or milk)

1. Make The Dough: In a small saucepan, warm the milk over low heat until lukewarm (no need to use a thermometer, but to be precise: about 95 degrees F). Pour the warm milk into the bowl of a stand electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment (OR you can use a handheld mixer OR no mixer, but a stand mixer is ideal). With a spoon, manually stir in the sugar and yeast. Cover with a towel and let sit until the yeast is foamy, about 5-10 minutes. On low speed, beat in the softened butter until it is slightly broken up. Next add the eggs, one at a time, and then the salt. The butter won't really be mixing into the mixture, so don't be alarmed if it stays in pieces. On low speed, gradually add the flour. Once it is all added, beat on medium speed until a soft dough forms. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until the dough is soft and supple, about 8-10 minutes longer. *If you do not have a stand-mixer with a hook attachment, knead the dough by hand in this step.
  2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands for about 2 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a lightly greased bowl. Cover the dough and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours. Here's what I do: turn the oven on to 300F degrees. Turn the oven off. Stick the covered dough inside the oven and allow it to rise in this warm environment.
  3. Butter/grease/spray with nonstick spray the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish, then line with parchment paper. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and, using a rolling pin, roll into a 12x18 inch rectangle. I used a ruler for accuracy. Make sure the dough is smooth and evenly thick, even at the corners.
  4. Make The Filling: In a medium bowl, toss the frozen raspberries with the sugar and cornstarch. Spread the cold sugared raspberries evenly over the dough. Tightly roll up the dough to form an 18-inch-long log. Cut into 12 even rolls (about 1.5 inches in width each). Arrange them in the prepared baking pan, cut sides up. Cover the rolls and let them rise in a warm place until they are puffy, about 2 hours OR overnight (see note). The berries will release their juice at the bottom of the pan - this is OK.
  5. After the rolls have risen, preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Cover the rolls with aluminum foil and bake for about 25 minutes, until they are golden and the berries are bubbling. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for about 15 minutes.
  6. Make The Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk the confectioner’s sugar and heavy cream until smooth. Add more sugar or cream, depending how thick you want the glaze. Pour glaze over the rolls and serve warm. Cover rolls and store at room temperature for up to 2-3 days. Baked rolls can be frozen up to 2 months and warmed up to enjoy at a later date. Glaze them right before serving.

Make Ahead: During the second rise, cover the sliced rolls and let sit overnight in the refrigerator before baking. In the morning, remove from the refrigerator and allow to rise in a warm environment for 1 hour (use your oven as noted in step 2 of the recipe).

Some similar recipes you may enjoy:

Orange Sweet Rolls

Copycat Pillsbury Orange Sweet Rolls. Gooey, fluffy, and dipping with orange glaze-15

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Soft Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze

Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Lemon Glaze

Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Lemon Glaze

See more breakfast ideas.

163 Responses to “Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls.”

Sarahposted July 27, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I’m making these tomorrow morning and am SOOOOOO excited! Looking at your pictures, practically drooling over here :)

P.J. Coldrenposted August 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I have been putting my raspberries from my garden in the freezer just so I could make this recipe. I made your banana raspberry chocolate chip bread – as always, anything I make from this site is a major hit when I share. SO I am going to add some mine-chocolate chips to the raspberry mixture, just before I roll up it up. Bonus – my DH doesn’t like raspberries, so I get as much of this as I want, although I am going to take it into work to share. I recommend your site to everyone. I just made a batch of your S’Mores Cookies – again, the DH wasn’t impressed (I don’t get it) but everyone else loved them.

• Sallyreplied on August 7th, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hi P.J.! I am so glad that you love my website and the recipes have been a huge hit! I love that banana raspberry bread, and these raspberry sweet rolls. They are delicious! I love your idea of adding chocolate chips. I know they will be a huge hit!

Mirandaposted October 26, 2013 at 1:54 am

Hi Sally! I just want to say that we’ve {my mom & I} have made this recipe twice now… Love Love Love these rolls. What makes them even more special is my Grandma grows homegrown raspberries, so we always have some of “Grandmas Best” in our freezer for the making of these!

Also I just wanted to say a big “THANK YOU” for your posting on starting a food blog…I’m jumping in… I don’t know how I should feel… overwhelmed jumping in a sea with all these fish that do something so much better than me…or really really excited that maybe just maybe my food blog will prosper someday!! You have given me hope :)

Thanks for reading this! Still working on my website but I’m hoping to have it up and running soon! I’d LOVE your constructive criticism when it’s up and running! :)

Thanks again!

• Sallyreplied on October 26th, 2013 at 10:06 am

Hi Miranda! I am so glad to hear that you and your mom loves these rolls! They are truly my favorite breakfast. Ever. Well, one of my favorites at least! I’ve never had them with homegrown raspberries though. I can only imagine how tasty they are!

Good luck with your new blog. We all have to start somewhere. I had no clue what I was doing when I first began. It takes time, hard work, and patience. Have fun with it!

Danielaposted November 17, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I’m thinking about adding some dark chocolate chips to these, possibly into the dough. Any advice about when to add them?

• Sallyreplied on November 17th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I’ve never added chocolate chips to the dough, so without trying it myself- I cannot tell if/when they could be added. I’ve added them to the filling and it was wonderful and worked out perfectly. Enjoy!

tazeinposted November 20, 2013 at 9:54 am

I have raspberry pie filling, was wondering if I could use that instead.

• Sallyreplied on November 20th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

I’m sure that would be fine.

Joyposted January 1, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Love these rolls! I made them yesterday and they came out perfect! Only thing I did different was that I made a cream cheese glaze instead of a regular one and they were so freaking good! Thanks so much for the recipe. Next time I’m gunna try them with blueberries!

Nikkiposted January 21, 2014 at 2:56 am

My husband bought me a Kitchenaid Mixer for Christmas. He loves Raspberry Sweet Rolls, so as a “thank you” I wanted to make some. I made these today as a test batch and everything turned out great! I used a little more raspberry, but everything else I kept the same. I can’t wait to bake these again for my husband when he returns from his trip!
    By the way, my husband also loves Golden Oreo cake batter brownies from this website. I can’t wait to try other recipes!

• Sallyreplied on January 21st, 2014 at 8:54 am

Hey Nikki! What a wonderful Christmas present. I received my stand mixer 3 years ago for Christmas and it’s been the best tool in my kitchen ever since. You’re going to love using it! Happy you made these sweet rolls for your husband. Let me know any treats you try next!

Vannieposted January 26, 2014 at 3:20 am

Thank you for the recipe. I’d made them yesterday and they turned out great! I had some red currants from my garden in the freezer, so I used those instead of the raspberries, I also substituted half of the flour with whole spelt, and only made a half batch – 8 rolls. After filling them with the frozen fruit I was really nervous, because nothing happened for more than hour, no rising, just the fruit melting. But then they puffed up in no time and two hours after filling they were ready for the oven and eventually got very big and fluffy and soaked all the juices from the currants! I’m definitely going to make these again, and maybe try another fruit for filling next time :)

• Sallyreplied on January 26th, 2014 at 7:29 am

Well your version sounds amazing Vannie! I’m so glad you loved them. You have to try them with raspberries sometime.

Jessicaposted February 13, 2014 at 9:12 am

Just curious…do you think strawberry preserves would work in place of the raspberry filling?

• Sallyreplied on February 13th, 2014 at 9:29 am

Definitely. I’m not sure exactly how much. Maybe about 3/4 cup?

Jeannine D.posted February 16, 2014 at 10:40 am

I made these last night and baked them off this morning and they are amazing!!! I used skim milk and a delicious strawberry jam for the filing (that’s what I had in the house and wasn’t going out in the snow:). They were perfect. I was a little skeptical at keeping them at room temp. all night. I’ve never sent that before- these kinds of rolls seem to always be refrigerated overnight and then brought to room temperature before baking- but, as I said, perfect! Thank you and can’t wait for the cookbook!!!

Stephanieposted February 19, 2014 at 5:02 am

I made these last night but I used strawberries instead of raspberries and mixed the dough the same way as the easy cinnamon rolls (mix all dry ingredients, microwave butter and milk, then mix together with eggs, etc) and completely skipped the first rise (I was tired haha). They rose overnight and look great – baking right now! The only thing is I may need more strawberries next time. With the rolls risen it doesn’t look like there is much between the layers. Thanks for all your delicious recipes Sally!

Dave Gonzalezposted February 25, 2014 at 9:31 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’ve been eyeing this recipe at Food and Wine, but finally am making it this morning for a coworker’s birthday. It’s nice to know what changes you’ve made to it, like covering the tops and lowering the temp. I was concerned about the liquid, but I feel relieved that it gets absorbed. Thanks again! Love your blog.

Kellyposted February 27, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I recently got a stand mixer, so I’m on a kick making anything I can with it. I made these last night, but let them rise at room temperature overnight, and baked them this morning. They didn’t look as pretty as yours, but they tasted amazing. I think they rose too much, and some of them turned sideways in the pan while rising. I also had to bake them an extra 10 minutes so that the center was baked all the way through. Even though they weren’t “pretty”, I would totally make them again. They were delicious and really easy to make.

Brianaposted March 22, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Hello, would it be ok for me to add a cream cheese filling along with the berries, or will adding that ruin the rolls somehow? I’d love to try out this recipe soon either way, just wondering. Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on March 23rd, 2014 at 11:57 am

That would be too much filling for this dough. Perhaps reduce the raspberry filling by 1/2 and then use your cream cheese mixture as well.

• Colorado_Momreplied on April 26th, 2014 at 10:13 am

Maybe use a cream cheese glaze on top, instead?

Jamieposted April 4, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Making these now. They are on the second rise and are already looking yummy.

Breeposted April 10, 2014 at 5:29 pm

These look beautiful, I must try and make sweet rolls one day. I’ve always been meaning to but I never got around to it! xo

Mandiposted May 4, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Well, those were incredible! Perhaps the best sweet dough I’ve ever made. I was a little worried on the second rise, as nothing was really rising for me, but once they started baking they transformed. I also used mixed frozen berries and recommend to others as well :)

Adrianaposted June 26, 2014 at 3:33 pm

These look amazing! So soft and tender! I noticed that other recipes use 1 packet of yeast. Is there a reason this recipe uses two?

• Sallyreplied on June 26th, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Yep, it’s a completely different dough recipe making a larger batch which requires a little extra.

Emmaposted July 19, 2014 at 6:26 am

Hi Sally! i don’t have frozen raspberries but i have a lot of frozen blackberries!
    can i use them??? i mean, will they turn out ok??

Joeposted July 26, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Hi Sally!

These rolls were fantastic – thanks for the tip on covering them.

Question – made in a 9×13, the rolls were packed awfully tight together when they were completely baked. They were fairly hard to get them apart into individual rolls (meaning, they were a little ragged when pulled apart).

Any thoughts on either baking them on a sheet pan or dividing them between two 8″ square pans? Interested to hear your thoughts.

• Sallyreplied on July 27th, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Hi Joe. Sounds like your rolls rose quite a bit. That’s completely fine, I suggest two 8×8 or 9×9 baking pans if you try them again.

justine savageposted July 30, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Can I make them in the bread machine?

• Katherinereplied on January 13th, 2015 at 10:24 am

I made them in the bread machine and it turned out perfect! I used the “dough” program for a 2 lbs bread.

Maribelposted August 10, 2014 at 12:37 am

Hi Sally, i Just found your blog and i am completely excited to start baking again with all these great recipes you have. Today i decided to prepare the sweet rolls but used frozen strawberries instead, i also went based off your blueberry sweet rolls recipe instead ( I seen it before). But now looking over this recipe i seen that there are some differences. so now i am i bit nervous how mine will turn out they are in the oven right now. Why are they prepared differently?

Robynposted August 20, 2014 at 6:29 am

Made these today for work. Added macadamia nuts to the raspberries.
    Kept in fridge overnight and left in warmer for 45 minutes before putting in oven
    Also, made cream cheese topping – OVERALl, decision is delicious +++
    Thank you Sally.
    P.S pecan caramel next time

Allisonposted August 23, 2014 at 9:50 am

I have some fresh raspberries that I need to use and thought I would make these beauties. Could you use fresh instead of frozen?

Laura Wposted September 2, 2014 at 9:38 am

I made these last week. I bought some fresh local raspberries and froze them especially. I did roll the dough a little too thick and overbaked them but they came out with a fantastic taste! Next time I’ll learn from my mistakes and I’m sure they’ll be even better. Thank you for the great recipe!

Femi Shimilposted September 26, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hi just wondering. .can I half the recipe? I dont need to make so much. So is it ok if i use half the measure of all given ingredients?

• Sallyreplied on September 26th, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Yes, you may easily halve this recipe.

Natalieposted October 9, 2014 at 6:38 am

I made these a few weeks ago with blueberries and they were amazeballs!!! It started off not so well, as my yeast wasn’t reacting so I tried it 2 more times with the same results. Eventually I just decided to use the third batch of ‘dead’ yeast. There was no rise in the dough at all by the end of the day so I decided to leave them overnight and happy days by morning they were huge!! I was so very excited to bake them and they turned out fabulously, the bread part was so so soft and light and fluffy I couldn’t believe it! Next time I will add more fruit though as the huge rise in the bread overwhelmed the yummy blueberries a bit. I can’t wait make to make them with raspberries and the lemon ones are also on my list! Breakfast sweet rolls, is there any better way to start the day?!?

I also wanted to thank you sharing all of your amazing recipes, and for your hard work and trial and error testing – it makes it so much easier for all of us bakers out there. You have made a massive contribution to the baking world and my own personal recipe repertoire!

So a BIG thank you and happy baking!!

Jennyposted December 16, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I’m hoping to make these the night before I have a cooking day with family, but I’m concerned about leaving them out to raise all night long. Is it okay to stick the dough in the fridge overnight rather than leaving it out?

• Jennyreplied on December 16th, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Also, do you think it would work just the same if I made them smaller? I’m going to try making this for neighbor treats for Christmas.

• Sallyreplied on December 16th, 2014 at 6:20 pm

sticking the dough in the refrigerator is just fine Jenny. You can definitely roll them smaller as well.

Samanthaposted December 23, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Can you use fresh berries?

Jessicaposted December 25, 2014 at 11:07 am

We just had these for part of Christmas breakfast. They were so pretty with that deep red color and super delicious. Thanks!

kateposted February 3, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I would love to make these for a valentine’s day breakfast although I don’t have much time in the mornings..do these reheat well?

• Sallyreplied on February 5th, 2015 at 2:42 pm

They reheat well in a 300 degree oven for 10-12 minutes without glaze. Sometimes I microwave a glazed one for only a few seconds to slightly warm it up.

Rochelleposted February 21, 2015 at 12:15 am

Does your book have all of these recipes?

• Sallyreplied on February 21st, 2015 at 8:49 am

Sally’s Baking Addiction Cookbook has all new recipes (with only a few recipes that are also on my blog)– this recipe is not in my book.

Jeanineposted March 4, 2015 at 5:40 pm

I posted this question, and it got deleted. I like the sound of this dough and want to try it, my question is, can I make the shape of the rolls round with a well in the center and fill that.

• Sallyreplied on March 4th, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Hi Jeanine, I do not recall this question and do not see it in my spam. Sorry! I’ve never made the rolls that way, but I can’t see why it would not work. Thanks.

Elizabethposted April 3, 2015 at 9:52 am

Hello Sally !

Can these rolls be par-baked and then frozen like cinnamon rolls ( as described on this page: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-freeze-cinnamon-rolls-and-bake-them-later-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-198123) ?

I was wondering since they contain strawberries that would be frozen, then thawed by par-baking then refrozen.

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2015 at 10:07 am

Yes! I do this all the time with my sweet roll recipes, including these.

Leslie Renaudposted May 27, 2015 at 8:56 am

I made these yesterday.  I used buttermilk vs. milk, and used cream cheese, butter, confectioner’s sugar and milk for the frosting.  THESE.  ARE.  EXTRAORDINARY.  An exceptional recipe, and I’m quite certain I would have been just as pleased without my own changes.  Well done.  Big hat tip to you for this recipe.  Thank you for sharing it.  I have filed the pumpkin rolls recipe for the fall.  I’m excited to try that one, too.

• Sallyreplied on May 28th, 2015 at 7:56 am

Thanks Leslie! I’m so glad you loved these raspberry sweet rolls.

Rachel Sternposted June 7, 2015 at 10:06 pm

I want to make them a couple days a head of when I need them and don’t want to freeze them. Should these be kept on the counter or in the fridge?

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2015 at 9:41 am

For longer than 2 days, keep in the fridge covered tightly. Before that, I usually just keep them at room temperature covered tightly for a day or two.