Easy Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes.

Soft, fluffy homemade funfetti cupcakes that are worlds better than anything you will find in a box!  They’re quite easy, too.

You will never make boxed Funfetti Cupcakes again after you try this homemade recipe! sallysbakingaddiction.com

Another post dedicated to all you sprinkle lovers out there. 😉

I  recently developed a homemade funfetti cupcake recipe that may just be easier than your store-bought mix.  Yep yep, this recipe is a piece of cake. Literally. Kinda. So fluffy, so soft, spiked with vanilla, and bursting through the seams with colorful speckles.

Easy Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream

I made a batch of homemade funfetti cupcakes for my birthday earlier this year and they were an instant hit.  My friends and I gobbled them right up.  I covered them with milk chocolate frosting and was pleasantly satisfied.  Well… until I revisited the recipe and began a mad cupcake experiment. Testing and retesting and retesting.  Because that’s what I do. I’m on a constant mission to find that “perfect” recipe.  Perfectionist much?

While my original homemade funfetti cupcakes are outstanding, I wanted a fluffier, whiter, and cakier cupcake that is still as simple as my original recipe.  And well… as simple as a boxed mix.   I found a winner.  Using easy everyday ingredients, this homemade recipe only takes about 25 minutes AND tastes 1,000% better than anything on the store shelves.

Plus, there is NO mixer required. (!!!!!)

The best Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I've ever tried. You will never bake from a box mix again!

Everyday ingredients + no mixer required.  Let’s dive into the recipe a bit further, shall we?

All-purpose flour, leavening agents (baking powder & soda), salt, white sugar, 1 stick of melted butter, vanilla extract, yogurt (or sour cream), and milk. Doesn’t that sound easy? The dry ingredients are tossed together by hand.  Grab a wooden spoon or rubber spatula and mix together the melted butter and sugar. Mix, mix, mix until combined and it all appears a tad “gloopy.”  Technical terms here.

The back of your funfetti box mix probably calls for oil and not butter.  I love using oil in cake and cupcake recipes – it brings the finished baked good SO much moisture and a delicate texture.  However, I decided to use butter in my recipe because the addition of plain yogurt (or sour cream) does a mighty fine job keeping things moist and soft.  Plus, you still get a buttery taste.

Easy Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream

To the sugar/butter mixture, you will add the egg, yogurt, vanilla, and milk.  Whisk it all up by hand.  The mixture will be chunky and sort of ugly.  I promise, that’s ok.  Slowly stir in the dry ingredients.  Use a bit of elbow grease and stir out all the lumps. The batter will be thick.

Time for a sprinkle shower!

cupcake batter

**You must, must, must be careful adding in your sprinkles.  If you are using nonpareil sprinkles (the little balls), their colors will quickly bleed into your batter.  I used nonpareil because they are my favorite. I had to be sure to gently mix them into the batter to avoid tie-dye cupcakes.

Which wouldn’t be so bad though, right?

Easy Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream

Divide your batter evenly between 12 muffin tins and bake at 350F for only about 20 minutes, give or take. You’ll know they are finished when a toothpick comes out clean. If you bake these as mini cupcakes, they will only take about 8 minutes in the oven.

Moving along to that frosting… oh the frosting.

My standard vanilla frosting recipe.

It’s quite simple – perhaps even more simple than the cupcakes. Beat together unsalted butter, confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract. That’s IT.   Two very crucial notes: (1)  make sure your butter is softened and not melted in the slightest.  I simply took my butter stick out of the refrigerator and let it sit on the counter for 45 minutes as I baked and cooled the cupcakes. (2) Use heavy cream.  You may use half-and-half instead.  You *could* use milk, but heavy cream or half-and-half (which is half milk, half cream) will give the frosting a thicker texture.  I recommend using those instead of milk.

I used a Wilton 12 frosting tip (a round tip) to frost the cupcakes.  Frost the cooled cupcakes however you prefer – slathering on with a knife or piping on with a tip.

Easy Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream

The cupcakes are so soft, moist, and fluffy with a buttery smooth taste. The frosting is fluffy, thick, and so easy to throw together.  If you’d prefer a chocolate frosting, I suggest my milk chocolate frosting.  It’s smooth, rich, and magical.

I used a Wilton 1M swirl tip for the chocolate version:

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Frosting  | sallysbakingaddiction.com

One bite into the iconic funfetti cupcake /vanilla buttercream duo and you’ll be transported back to childhood birthday memories.  These were and still are my very favorite type of cupcake.

I love the pops of color peeking out. :)

The best Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes I've ever made. They're so simple to make from scratch too!

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes

Yield: 12 standard cupcakes or 24 mini

Soft, fluffy homemade funfetti cupcakes that are worlds better than anything you will find in a box! They're quite easy, too.

• 1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup yogurt (plain or vanilla; or greek yogurt; or sour cream)
  • 3/4 cup milk (cow's milk; or soy milk; or almond milk)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup rainbow jimmies/sprinkles (not nonpareils)

Vanilla Buttercream

• 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3 cups (360g) confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy cream or half-and-half*
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in sugar - mixture will be gritty. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 minute. Stir in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick. Slowly stir in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the sprinkles will bleed their color.

Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners (or 24 mini) and bake for up to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake for 8-9 minutes if making mini cupcakes. Allow to cool.

For the frosting: in a medium bowl, beat the softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Turn mixer off and add confectioners'  sugar, cream, and vanilla extract. Mix on low for 1 minute then increase to high speed and beat for 3-4 full minutes. Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or more cream if frosting is too thick. Add salt if frosting is too sweet (I usually add 1/4 teaspoon). Frost cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles.

Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.

Feel free to top with Milk Chocolate Frosting instead.

I brought the cupcakes to a party over the weekend and displayed them on my new spiral cupcake stand, an early Christmas gift from Kevin.

A few similar recipes for you:

Homemade Funfetti Cake

Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake

Vanilla Cupcakes for Two (makes just two cupcakes!)

Cupcakes for Two

Tie-Dye Cupcakes

How to make tie die cupcakes! Easy tutorial-2

370 Responses to “Easy Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes.”

Su Jiménezposted May 21, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Lo ve the recipe. Thanks for sharing! I like to know with brandal of butter i can buy to get a white frosting, Thanks. I Liverpool in Costa Rica and the butter Is yellow

Monicaposted May 24, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I am going to be making these this week and was wondering how the frosting was for piping?

• Sallyreplied on May 25th, 2014 at 7:59 am

It’s great for piping! I used a Wilton 12 frosting tip (a round tip) to frost the cupcakes.

Michelleposted May 28, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Thanks for this recipe. These are some of the best cupcakes I’ve had (and hands down the best I’ve made)! :)

Meghanposted May 30, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! I’ve used it many times, but as I’m stirring out the lumps I’ve always wondered if I could use a mixer. Do you think it would make them tough? Have you ever tried it? Thanks again! Love your blog!

• Sallyreplied on May 30th, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Hey Meghan! Using a mixer would be fine, just don’t mix too long. Only enough to get out most lumps and combine the ingredients.

Susan L.posted May 31, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I just had to write and say THANK YOU for this recipe! I’ve made them 3 times now and will never have to look again for that perfect yellow cake recipe. Previous ones I tried were too dry, no crumb and not very flavorful. These are absolute perfection. Delicious! Thank you so much!

Hannahposted June 1, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Hi Sally! I hope you had a great trip to Colorado this weekend, I live in Denver and have been following your blog for over a year. You are so sweet, genuine, and approachable; it totally sets you apart. I have commented on a few of your recipes before, my favorite being triple chocolate layer cake. I have also made countless cookies, your fruit pizza, pineapple upside down cake (like 4 times-I love this cake!), and I just made these cupcakes over the weekend. I did add a bit of flour (high altitude!) and I used cake flour. These were the BEST cupcakes! They are light, fluffy, and perfect! I have also made your strawberry bread and it’s amazing too. I’ll have to try your new chocolate cupcake recipe soon too since I love the chocolate layer cake so much. Thanks for your care for your readers and sharing your love for baking!

Ruth D.posted June 9, 2014 at 8:38 am

I have made these twice now and have a question. I was hoping to make these for my girls’ birthday party this summer so I did a “test run” this weekend. I have also previously made them once. I was very conscious to not overmix them, but they turned out a lot more dense than I was hoping for. They taste great! But, I’m just not getting the fluffy, light cakey texture I was hoping for. What am I doing wrong?

Please help as I’m planning on making 4 dozen for their party!!!

• Sallyreplied on June 9th, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Hi Ruth! I don’t think you are doing anything wrong at all. They aren’t going to be as light-textured as cake mix cupcakes. Perhaps try using 1 cup of milk instead of 3/4 milk, 1/4 yogurt. AND you can try using cake flour (same amount as all-purpose for these) – that helps get an even fluffier texture.

Flavia Sposted June 17, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I’m planning on making these Funfetti cupcakes for my son’s first Birthday party this weekend. I was going to use cake flour and plain yogurt for the cake batter. But I was wondering if you have any suggestions for doing this recipe at high altitudes. I’m at about 6,500 feet at beautiful Lake Tahoe. I’ve had some issues with cake batters in the past.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Mateaposted June 18, 2014 at 3:47 pm

These pictures have got me craving funfetti cupcakes! And that frosting looks de-licious!

Loriposted June 22, 2014 at 12:45 pm

I have used your vanilla cupcake recipe several times. The snicker doodle ones and these are delicious! I’ve found that my first batch takes 24-25 minutes despite my oven being preheated. I say first batch because I always get 14 out of a recipe! The next batch only takes about 21 minutes. Any less time and they will collapse upon cooling. Make sure they are done by ever so lightly touching the tops with your finger and you should get a little bounce. Also, I added orange extract and a little orange food color to my frosting. Now they look AND taste like summer!

Mandy Jonesposted June 24, 2014 at 5:42 pm

These look wonderful and I want to make them for girls camp. I need approx. 300. If I quadriple the recipe would they turn out okay?

• Sallyreplied on June 25th, 2014 at 8:34 am

I suggest making 2 batches of the doubled recipe, rather than quadrupling.

Allisonposted July 5, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I was weary about this recipe because I needed 36 cupcakes. Sometimes recipes don’t turn out well if you double or triple the ingredients. Lucky for me, your recipe worked beautifully! I just finished making them to take to a gender reveal party for a friend and filled the middles with the right color frosting :) Thanks so much for an awesome recipe to add to my collection.

vanessa.aposted July 5, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Hello awesome baker sally, just wondering what brand tray you use to bake your cupcakes and also could you tell me why my cupcakes crisp up at the top? I usually leave them overnight and it goes away but do your cupcakes crisp at the top? Thankyou for always producing wonderful cupcake recipies. Not one has failed me… NOT ONE!!! :)

• Sallyreplied on July 6th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi Vanessa – I’m unsure why your cupcakes are crispy at the top. Are you covering them tightly while storing? I use a few brands, but my favorite cupcake pan is my Wilton cupcake pan.

Rachelposted August 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm

This is the best buttercream frosting I have ever made! It’s perfectly creamy and fluffy, with just the right amount of sweetness. Thank you so much!!

Nataliaposted August 7, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Hi Sally!
    I have to say I just made this cupcakes and they are AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!!!
    If I wanted to make a cake (regular size) could I use the same measurements and just throw it in a pan?? My husbands bday is coming up and he loves sprinkles!!! THANK YOU!

Kelseyposted August 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Hi Sally. This is the second time I have made this recipe and I can’t say enough great things about these. I am a cupcake fanatic. These are moist, have excellent flavor, and your buttercream icing recipe does not go unnoticed. It is just the right amount of fluff, and sweetness. I used goat’s milk plain yogurt, which is normally a bit tangy on it’s own, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, cake flour (the second time around, but cake flour or white, both were great and I couldn’t choose which time was better), and long sprinkles that I got from a local ice cream shop. I made these for my sister’s birthday 28th’s birthday – she’s a funfetti fanactic and my Mom and Dad fell in love with them. My mom is not one to indulge in sweets and she couldn’t stay away. Thank you for this recipe. It is a keeper and I will be making these time and time again.

• Sallyreplied on August 9th, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Thanks so much Kelsey! I really appreciate the wonderful report back! Have a great weekend.

Jenniferposted August 16, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I don’t know if you’re still monitoring this or not but I have two questions:
    1) will these freeze well? Just for a week
    2) I need to make 2 dz can I simply double the recipe?

Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on August 17th, 2014 at 10:31 am

Yes and yes

• Jenniferreplied on August 17th, 2014 at 11:54 am

Thank you! I thought so but just thought I would double check. These are PERFECT for an “Up” inspired even my daughter is attending next weekend

LaToyaposted August 17, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Let me tell you… this recipe… is.. AWESOME!! I made 2 changes to suit what I was trying to accomplish. I swapped the milk for pineapple juice and added some crushed pineapple. These made incredibly moist and fluffy pina colada cupcakes. Omg. Omg. My mouth is watering, lol.

Anellposted August 22, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Hi Sally. How long will the fronting last? If I make it tonight, will it be ok for frosting the cupcakes tomorrow afternoon?

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Cover tightly in the fridge – it will be fine tomorrow.

Emilyposted August 24, 2014 at 11:40 am

Ummm, amazing! Made these at 9am this morning with my almost there year old, will definitely making the cake for her birthday in two weeks!

Katrinaposted September 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm

With all the positive reviews how can I shrug it off and buy the box?? Altho do you have any suggestion on substituting heavy creAm/half and half in the frosting? Have a lactose intolerant family member. Tried doing butter and soy milk combo before. Wanted to get your opinion. :)

Rebeccaposted September 15, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Hi! I am planning on making these for my little one’s birthday. I was wondering if I am making jumbo cupcakes should I double the cupcake recipe or use the cake recipe to make them?

• Sallyreplied on September 16th, 2014 at 7:00 pm

The cake recipe would only make 12 standard size cupcakes. So if you would like more than 12 jumbo cupcakes, you should double the recipe. I am unsure of the bake time.

• Rebeccareplied on September 19th, 2014 at 7:58 am

Because of the jumbo size of the cupcake am I better off using the cake recipe or the cupcake recipe to maximize moisture?

Jamyposted September 29, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Hi sally-
    LOVED these cupcakes. I have made them twice.. The icing turned out amazing. (I have also made your strawberry shortcake cupcakes several times-HUGE HIT) That being said, I would like to add a bit of color with Gel Colors to the Icing for both my son and daughters birthday cakes/cupcakes. Do you think the colors will affect the taste/texture? Also, in keeping with the vanilla flavor of the strawberry shortcake ones, do you think I could add 1/2 vanilla bean to the batter in this receipe as well? Thanks for the AWESOME receipes. I never thought I could bake until i made these :)

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hi Jamy. I apologize for the delay; I was on vacation. I’m happy you enjoy these cupcakes! Gel color is just fine – they will absolutely not ruin the taste or texture. Especially since you will likely be using a small amount. 1/2 vanilla bean would be tasty here. Enjoy!

Taraposted October 14, 2014 at 11:15 am

I just made these yesterday to bring to a friend for his birthday and they are seriously the best Funfetti cupcakes I’ve ever had! They were a HUGE hit and I will definitely be saving the recipe as my go to recipe. I used sour cream, cow’s milk, and cake flour in the cupcake batter and heavy cream in the icing. Can’t wait to make them again.

From one baking “perfectionist” to another…..THANK YOU!

Melissaposted October 15, 2014 at 11:51 am

Hi, I made this for my baby’s 1st birthday. I had a few issues but it was mainly my lack of baking experience :D..lol …the cake came out funky but the cupcakes were great. Everybody loved and ate them so they weren’t too bad! :)…

I had a question/concern..I plan on making these (all cupcakes this time) for my babys birthday party. I noticed that the frosting softened a bit after sitting out for a little while. The party is outdoors and while its nice out now it sometimes gets a little warm. I’m afraid the buttercream will melt if they sit out. Do you have any recommendations to prevent this from happening? I really want everyone to taste how awesome these cupcakes are frosting and all!

• Sallyreplied on October 15th, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Hi Melissa! I think the frosting will be ok, actually. If you want, you may reduce the cream down to 2-3 Tablespoons. Which will make a thicker, more sturdy frosting.

Samposted November 8, 2014 at 8:07 am

Hi would I be able to use your yellow cupcake recipe and just add sprinkles to it?

Jenposted November 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Hi Sally. I am going to try this recipe for a cupcake competition and I was wondering if I could use 1% Milk. I don’t have Cow Milk, Soy Milk, or Almond Milk. Would it be okay to use 1% or should I go find some other kind of milk?

• Sallyreplied on November 11th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

1% cows milk is OK.

luluposted November 29, 2014 at 1:31 pm

i wanna thank you so much for all your amazing ideas im actually starting up a cupcake business and i never knew that i could do it but because of you i have done some amazing things so thank you. you are a true inspiration to me everything that you make and show lets peope know they can always do so much if they put there mind to it.

kristenposted December 6, 2014 at 11:15 am

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I made the most incredible minis for my son’s second birthday yesterday and everyone loved them!

Paige Christenberryposted December 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I made these cupcakes for my sister’s birthday (this is still her favorite type of cake) and they were delicious! Unfortunately, the frosting came out way too thin and had still not thickened up approx. 3 cups of powdered sugar later! I’m wondering if this is because I used half-and-half instead of heavy cream, but it still seems like quite a bit of liquid compared to other recipes I’ve used. Does anyone know what could have happened or how I could have thickened it up besides adding more powdered sugar? Thank you!

Emma Roseposted January 3, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Oh my goodness! I am an avid sprinkle lover! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!

Evaposted January 8, 2015 at 7:29 pm

i have made this recipe several times and very time it has been delicious, but as i do not like frosting i substitute it for powdered sugar and it is delicious!

jasmineposted January 10, 2015 at 2:53 pm

These cupcakes taste like flour, and were not at all as special as they were made out to be. I also do not recommend the frosting, as it was much too sweet even after adding salt.

• Adrienne CTreplied on February 6th, 2015 at 10:23 pm

You should look up tips on how to properly measure flour. Also American style buttercream is always very sweet. I can only eat a small amount of it. You should try another type of buttercream with these like Swiss meringue or even a white chocolate ganache. This is a wonderful recipe if you measure the flour correctly. Good luck!

• Adrienne CTreplied on February 9th, 2015 at 7:40 pm

I just wanted to come back to say I get what you mean about the flour. Day one I didn’t taste it but on day two I did. It wasn’t overwhelming, but it was noticeable. But it wasn’t the texture of a baked good with too much flour. So you probably don’t need those flour measuring tips lol. The texture was great to me! Nice moist cupcakes. Maybe I need to use more vanilla? I’m afraid to alter the amount of flour used because I don’t want to mess up the texture or the yield. This is such a quick and simple recipe to whip up! I’ll try it again in the future and see how it goes. I topped them with milk chocolate ganache, soo yummy :-)

Dakota Schmukiposted January 19, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Okay so I have tried 25 different cakes and every time it taste like corn bread…. I tried this one and the same thing happened. Its getting very discouraging why do they keep coming out like corn bread? I dont believe I over mix it so I am unsure what it could be please please help me =( I dont want to give up on something I love doing

• Adrienne CTreplied on February 6th, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Don’t give up! You should look up tips on how to measure flour and other things. If it is coming out dense like cornbread it might be because your measurements are off. Maybe use a kitchen scale, those help. Make sure your flour isn’t packed down. There are plenty of helpful guides on measuring flour correctly. Helped me a lot, those videos and the scale. And also make sure you are using the same type of flour called for in the recipe. Didn’t kinds give different results. Don’t give up! Good luck!

• Kristinreplied on March 9th, 2015 at 12:24 pm

The same thing was happening to me (and I am an experienced and avid baker), so I don’t think it has anything to do with flour measurements. I finally found, in my opinion, “the perfect” recipe – and it is one of Sally’s! Check out her very vanilla cupcake recipe and make it with all of the exact ingredients and see if that one is a keeper for you. Good luck!

Connieposted January 25, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Hi Sally, I happened to be scrolling thru Pinterest as I always do and came across your strawberry reciepe… but couldn’t find the cake mix, till I saw the vanilla mix, so I linked that and read thru..it sounds amazing and I am anxious to try it.. but maybe I’m not looking hard enough, but I didn’t see the measurements.. how much milk, vanilla extract..and is it just one egg? Help! Thank you! :)

• Sallyreplied on January 25th, 2015 at 5:35 pm

The written out recipe comes after my writing and explanations about the recipe– it is highlighted in orange. Enjoy, Connie!

Jamie Leeposted February 3, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Hi Sally! Last week I made both these cupcakes and the funfetti cake. Is there any reason why you use brown sugar in the cake but not the cupcakes? Everyone loved both recipes! Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on February 4th, 2015 at 5:30 am

I find that cakes have the tendency to dry out much quicker than cupcakes. That little extra moisture from the brown sugar helps in my opinion.

Belindaposted February 9, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Could I use buttermilk in place of the milk or would it throw off the flavor?

• Sallyreplied on February 9th, 2015 at 6:25 pm

buttermilk can be used, yes

laurenposted February 19, 2015 at 4:34 pm

I was desperate to try these as they look beautiful! But mine didn’t rise very much and definitely weren’t white

Kateposted March 2, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Do you think crème fraîche would work instead of yogurt? I have some from another recipe that needs to be used up. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on March 2nd, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Yes, I’m sure that would be fine.

Ashleyposted March 3, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I made these for my friend’s wedding and they were delicious! This will definitely be my go to recipe from now on.

Aprilposted April 4, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I like to add 1 cup of mayo to my cakes or cupcakes which makes the most moist cakes ever but could i add that to this recipe without ruining it?

1. Pingback: Shame and Virtue and The Wave « Where you Stay