Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow.

Remember when I told you that my Salted Triple Caramel Cupcakes are described as “the best thing we’ve ever had” by a few of my friends?  Well, they’re still the best. But now they have some fierce Nutella competition.

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow: ruining diets one salty, sweet, addictive bite at a time.

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow. This is so addicting!

The reason I’m posting puppy chow recipes so often recently? Because we love the stuff! And I know you do too.  Sitting on the couch on a lazy weekend night watching terrible reality TV with friends is the perfect excuse to make it.  And that’s how I’ve been spending my weekend nights recently. I’ve told you before, I’m boring.  It’s much too cold outside! Puppy chow saves the day.

Puppy chow is also called Muddy Buddies.  I grew up calling it puppy chow but sometimes I’m caught calling it muddy buddies.  Both names are fun to say.

The original puppy chow recipe can be found all over the internet, so it’s been my mission (tasty mission) to create spin-off recipes.  See: S’Mores Puppy Chow, Cupcake Puppy Chow, and Peppermint Crunch Puppy Chow <– most popular recipe of 2012. Weee!

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow by

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow by

So here we go.  A Nutella version, what else would you expect?  But not just Nutella… a kicked up chocolate-y Nutella version with salty peanuts.  I’m a salty/sweet freak. Who’s with me?

First, you’re going to melt some butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. 1 whole stick of salted butter – no diet food today. Unsalted butter would work just fine here.  To be honest, I couldn’t tell the difference making it with salted or unsalted.  So, go with whatever you have on hand.

Next, add the good stuff.  You know what I’m talking about.

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow

Ohhhh yeah. Just gimme a spoon and I’d be all set. :)

With the butter, you’re going to add a very generous cup of Nutella to the saucepan.  The amount I used turned out to be 1 full cup plus a few extra Tablespoons.  I obviously couldn’t stop spooning it into the saucepan.  It left me with just a couple servings left in a standard 13 oz jar.

Once the butter and Nutella are smooth and completely melted, add a pinch of salt.  Nutella is incredibly sweet by itself (no complaints here!) and since we’re going for a salty/sweet snack here, I added a small 1/4 teaspoon of table salt to the mixture – which isn’t much at all.

Ok, now get ready for a big pour.  Stream the glorious chocolate/butter glory all over a big bowl of Rice Chex cereal and salty peanuts.  6 cups of cereal and 1 and 1/4 cup of peanuts.  I used honey roasted peanuts today but you really can use any peanut that you’d like.  The peanuts were my favorite part of the chow!

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow by

Don’t you just want to dive right in?!?!

Next, it’s time to stir it all up.  Be gentle here, you don’t want to crush the cereal.  The warm Nutella mixture is much thinner than the coating I used for my Cupcake Puppy Chow, which is made from butter and white chocolate melts.  Today’s coating will be easier to mix around on those innocent cereal squares and peanuts.

Once everything is sufficiently showered with Nutella, transfer the cereal to a very large zipped-top bag holding 2 cups of powdered sugar. Shake shake shake til you can’t shake no more and dose each bite with some sweet stuff.

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow

So there ya go.  Wasn’t all of that easy and even better – wasn’t that quick?  A HUGE dose of Nutella in the best snacky way.  Combined with crunchy cereal, sweet snowy sugar, and salty peanuts. You do not want to leave out the peanuts! Covered in chocolate-y Nutella, they are most definitely the best part about this chow.

I speak from experience when I say that “one bite” of today’s snack is not enough.  “One taste” is not enough.  “One small bowl” is not enough.  Heck, even a huge bowl is not enough.  {embarrassing.} My friends begged me to make more!  Trust me, you will NOT be able to put this stuff down.

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow by

And I know that a snack like this would be perfect for Superbowl Sunday.  I don’t know about you, but I love the Superbowl for the commercials and for the munchies. But this year will be a little different.  We live in Baltimore, sooooo you know I’ll be tuning in for the actual game too. :)

What are your favorite game-day snacks?  I hope puppy chow is included!

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow

Yield: 7.5 cups

Seriously addicting salty/sweet snack mix made from Nutella, peanuts, and Chex cereal. Recipe is gluten free.

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter (or unsalted)
  • 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons Nutella
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/4 cup salty peanuts (dry roasted, honey-roasted - whichever kind you prefer)
  • 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
  • 2 cups powdered sugar

In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and Nutella.  Stir constantly until smooth.  Add salt. Remove from heat.

Pour the peanuts and cereal into a large bowl.  Top with warm Nutella mixture and gently mix it around to coat each piece of cereal.

In a large zipped top bag or covered container, add the powdered sugar. Pour the Nutella covered cereal into the large bag or container. Seal the bag or container and shake until all the cereal is coated with the powdered mixture.

Discard excess powder and enjoy. Store at room temperature up to 2 weeks.

Who’s a Nutella freak? This girl.

Nutella Swirled Peanut Butter Banana Bread

PB Nutella Banana Bread

Nutella-Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

Dark Chocolate Cherry Nutella Granola

Nutella Dark Chocolate Cherry Granola

Nutella Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes

Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Nutella Frosting

Nutella Swirl Pumpkin Pie

Nutella Swirled Pumpkin Pie (8 of 1)

130 Responses to “Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow.”

Mercedesposted January 29, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Yes please! I think I need to add this to my super bowl snack round up!

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted January 30, 2013 at 12:39 am

I made Nutella puppy chow recently, and every single person that tried it said it was their favorite puppy chow I’ve ever made (I make it every year for Christmas stockings).This looks great, and I love the addition of the salty peanuts!

Nicole @ youngbrokeandhungryposted January 30, 2013 at 1:33 am

Nacho’s are my number one pick for game day but I think this puppy chow will defiantly be making an appearance as well. It looks sinfully good!

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2013 at 11:38 am

Ok you’ve reminded me to make nachos this weekend :)

Emilyposted January 30, 2013 at 2:09 am

OMG!! I just made a batch of this for a potluck tomorrow and I don’t want to part with it. I am also making the S’Mores Puppy Chow and I’m sure it will be just as delicious! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe. :)

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2013 at 11:39 am

Emily – if you loved this version, you’re going to go nuts for the S’mores version. LOVE them both. Thanks for reporting back Emily! I can never “give away” puppy chow lol. It never makes it out of my house!

Danaposted January 30, 2013 at 7:35 am

So I have a box of Peanut Butter Toast Crunch that I’m not too wild about as a cereal. I think it might be an excellent fill-in for the Rice Chex that I don’t have and since it’s too snowy to head to the store, I might just use it to make these instead. Yum!

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2013 at 11:40 am

oh my goodness Dana – that sounds amazing. I didn’t even know they made PB toast crunch! That would be an excellent base for this! Even better than rice chex maybe… That’s a must try for me now. :)

• Danareplied on January 30th, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I made this with the PBTC already (benefits of a snow day) and it is FAB. Definitely recommend it!!

Erikaposted January 30, 2013 at 8:29 am

Oh my gosh! I am totally making this for Sunday. I love me some Nutella! Have you tried either the of new Jifs pb flavors yet? I’m wondering if they are as good or better than Nutella (doubtful).

Herbivore Triathleteposted January 30, 2013 at 11:08 am

Wow, you’ve outdone yourself this time, can’t go wrong when Nutella is one of the ingredients! I bet this would be awesome with Biscoff as well…

Deeposted January 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I have just made this and it’s amazing!! I live in Ireland and I’d never heard of Puppy Chow before, we don’t have Chex cereal here so I used Nestlé Shreddies which I think are like Wheat Chex and they worked great. I love your blog Sally especially any pumpkin recipes, thanks so much for introducing me to Puppy Chow!!

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Thanks Dee… mm I’m in love with pumpkin too! And I’m so glad you found my website and took the time to comment. Seriously, thank you! I should try these with wheat chex one time. :)

shelbyposted January 30, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Sally I’m in love with this really like THE best stuff ever! I mean is it possible for food to be too good? Because if so this stuff is. Best snack ever! Thanks for the recipe Sally!!!!! :)

• Sallyreplied on January 31st, 2013 at 8:10 am

I know – I cannot sing enough praises for this puppy chow. It’s TOO good to be true!! Thanks Shelby!

shelbyposted January 31, 2013 at 1:51 pm

No problem! My mom and grandmother were both sitting at the table munching on it and my grandmother says the only way you can put it down is when your about to eat yourself sick! So true! LOL! :)

• Sallyreplied on January 31st, 2013 at 2:11 pm

HAHA!! Very true indeed. :)

Erin @ Texanerin Bakingposted February 1, 2013 at 7:45 am

That’s it! It I tell you! You post all these yummy looking recipes with ingredients I can’t get! I’m leaving.

Yeah, not really. :) When I go to the US in June I am definitely making some form of this puppy chow stuff!

• Sallyreplied on February 1st, 2013 at 9:31 am

You will LOVE this puppy chow Erin! It is worth the wait, I promise! :) Thank you for all the sweet comments this morning!

Heather Rposted February 3, 2013 at 10:00 am

Before I discovered your fabulous blog Sally I had never even heard of puppy chow or muddy buddies. Well now all the people close to me will know what it is because I’ll be making this stuff all the time! Oh my goodness. At first I told myself I’d only allow myself a handful but eating it sitting in front of a movie I ate myself sick! Highly addictive. I love that its no bake and that I can quickly whip it up on movie night. As always when I’m in the kitchen I screw up one way or the other and I used beer nuts in this. lol. I was going to get honeyroasted but the beer nuts were on sale and looked delicious so I increased the salt to half a teaspoon, and i haven’t had Nutella in years and was so excited by that that I used too much. Also Chex isn’t easy to find where I live so I used Kellogg’s Crispix which appeared to be the same. I won’t make these same mistakes again when I make it for the next time but regardless it was still to die for. Thanks Sally!

• Sallyreplied on February 4th, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hey Heather! I know, this stuff is so addicting! I’m so glad you made it and that you are a puppy chow/muddy buddy lover like me now. And it is SO easy to make, which I love so much! Let me know if you make any other recipes from my site. Thank you so much for reporting back Heather! Have a great day. :)

Elyseposted February 4, 2013 at 2:56 am

Hmm, I have yet to get on the Puppy Chow Bandwagon, but this recipe may just be the one to pull me over to the dark side. Seriously, anything bathed in Nutella is fine in my books.

Amberposted February 4, 2013 at 11:12 am

I made this last night for the Super Bowl party I hosted and it was a HUGE hit! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Sallyreplied on February 4th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

SO glad to hear it Amber! I made it yesterday as well. Always a huge hit with us too!

Emily @ Life on Foodposted February 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I don’t even want to make this because I know right then and there I would finish off the whole bowl.

• Sallyreplied on February 4th, 2013 at 10:06 pm

You and I alike, Emily! I need to pry myself away from the bowl when I make it. It’s so addicting!

Sarah R.posted February 10, 2013 at 10:41 am

I made this yesterday for our monthly couple’s game night. Everyone raved & inhaled it! I had saved a little at home and my husband ate it for breakfast with milk just like cereal.

Thanks for another winner, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on February 10th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

That’s awesome Sarah! I can NEVER put this stuff down when I make it. I mindlessly munch on it all day long. :) I like your idea of eating it with milk like cereal! Puppy Chow for breakfast… love it.

Sarah Eposted February 15, 2013 at 9:42 am

That sounds & looks so good! I love that it has actual peanuts in it too :)
    Stopping by from Thursday’s Treasures and pinning to share!

claraposted February 18, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Hi Sally!
    That looks crazy good, and I really want to try it, but I live in Brazil and we dont have this kind of cereal here. Do you have any sugestions that could make a good substitute?
    Thanks a lot,

• Sallyreplied on February 18th, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hi Clara! The only suggestion I would make would be crispex cereal. Not sure if you have that? Thank you!

angela @ another bite pleaseposted February 24, 2013 at 2:35 pm

made this for our church’s bake sale…it was hard not to keep eating as i was trying to bag up!

Elizabethposted March 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm

This is puppy chow totally taken to the next awesome level! Yum!

Ivvanaposted April 22, 2013 at 4:56 am

Hi Sally, I was wondering if you could substitute Chocolate Chex for Plain, because apparently my supermarket doesnt sell it. Hope you can help!

• Sallyreplied on April 22nd, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hi there Ivvana! Yes, chocolate chex will be just fine. And maybe even better. Enjoy!

Lindsayposted April 24, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Hey, Sally! You’ve inspired me to make my very own puppy chow, I didn’t have the ingredients to make any of your mouth-watering puppy chow recipes, but I had something. I mixed 3 1/2 C honey nut chex and 3/4 C unsalted cashews and set aside in a bowl. Melted 1/2 tbsp milk, 1 1/2 C dark chocolate chips, 1/2 C PB, and a pinch of salt in a sauce pan and immediately added to the chow, mixed alllll arrrouund, then after that mixed in 3/4 C powdered sugar. YUM!!!

• Sallyreplied on April 24th, 2013 at 8:07 pm

That sounds amazing, Lindsay. I think I may have to try it. I love honey chex!

Rob Longposted May 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm

We’ve made this Puppy Chow a number of times and it never fails to delight!!
    Thanks Sally!!

stacyposted May 23, 2013 at 9:41 am

Hi Sally
    I was googling for no bake recipes and found your website.
    All recipes look tasty. Especially puppy chows!
    However, I am out of the states, so not able to get rice chex :'(
    so.. do you think I am able to use pretzels instead of rice chex or golden grahams?
    Thanks for reading. I’ll bookmark your blog and visit sometimes :)

• Sallyreplied on May 23rd, 2013 at 9:45 am

Hi Stacy – I’ve never tried it before, but i believe pretzels would work just find. Let me know how it goes!

Ashleyposted December 2, 2013 at 11:54 am

I made this a couple weeks ago for my son’s birthday party. Last year I did the S’mores version, and it was AWESOME! I thought this was just as fabulous. Unfortunately (for my waistline), there was a lot left! I have no idea if people weren’t sure about it, or what. But it’s SO GOOD. For me, it’s a tie between the S’mores and the Salted Nutella puppy chows…it’s war!

• Sallyreplied on December 2nd, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I simply cannot choose between this and the s’mores version. I think this may win though? I am a sucker for salty sweet. So happy you all loved it!

Liaposted February 24, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Sally, I pinned this recipe awhile ago, and I was waiting to make it for some event. I took it to a party, and it was a hit! I wouldn’t have cared if no one liked it, because I ate so much of it while making it! It is unbelievably good. But everyone adored it. Who doesn’t love Nutella or salty or sweet snacks!

• Sallyreplied on February 24th, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I always eat SO much of this stuff whenever I make it for parties and such. It’s addicting! Happy you tried it. Thanks for reporting back Lia!

janiceposted March 20, 2014 at 11:30 am

thank you for all your wonderful recipes. I can’t wait to try so many of them. You are a very talented young lady..thank you for all the hard work you put into your site. I have shared it with many of my cooking friends. I once again want to say thank you..sometimes the hard work that it takes to make a site like this goes unnoticed.. God Bless always…

• Sallyreplied on March 20th, 2014 at 11:35 am

Thanks very much, Janice!

Menollyposted March 1, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Can you make this with out the peanuts?

• Sallyreplied on March 2nd, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Nikkiposted July 6, 2015 at 3:43 pm

You have the most amazing recipes EVER! I cant wait to make all of these at one point or another! 😀

Claraposted August 22, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Omigosh I made this and it was SO addictive! I’m going to go make it for our trip tomorrow to Georgia. Methinks it is a good idea.