Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies.

Decadent dark chocolate cookies stuffed with caramel and topped with sea salt. Totally worth every bite!

When Nestlé Toll House approached me last month to be apart of their Dark Pinspirations SweepstakesI nearly fell off my chair! You see, today’s cookies were in a Nestle baking contest with some other great talent! If you like dark chocolate, you have to check out the other recipes in the contest.

Update: My cookies won the contest! Yep, the cookies you see here are worth $5,000 and won the Nestle Baking Contest. I can’t thank you all enough for voting!  So many readers took the time to “pin” or “like” these cookies on Pinterest. And many of you made them yourselves! They are definitely a loved cookie by all.

I call them my $5,000 cookies. 😉

Making them is so easy.

The chocolate cookie recipe is quite simple and standard. I use extra cocoa powder to make them even more fudgy. The more chocolate, the better. I stuff the cookies with chocolate coated caramel candies and Nestlé® Toll House® Dark Chocolate Morsels and top each of them with sea salt before throwing into the oven.

I love those Dark Chocolate Morsels and have been using them left and right in my recent recipes. I’ll link up to some dark chocolate recipes at the bottom of this post for you.

To make the chocolate cookies, start with some room temperature butter. Most of my cookie recipes call for room temperature butter. Sometimes this is inconvenient because I forget to set out the butter ahead of time! I have a trick for you. Be careful with it: in your mixing bowl, cut the stick of butter into 5 small pieces. Place the mixing bowl in the microwave for 5-10 quick seconds. You do not want to melt the butter at all, just soften it. In fact, start with 5 seconds to be sure. Cutting the butter into small pieces will allow them to warm up individually AND make the butter easier to mix.

Of course, putting the butter out on the counter 2 hours ahead of time is foolproof , but sometimes I can’t think ahead!

Beat the butter in the mixing bowl with a stand or hand mixer for about 20 seconds on medium speed before adding any sugar. This gets it nice and creamed. Add 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar. The brown sugar does not have to be packed and you may use light brown sugar instead. I prefer dark brown sugar because it has a richer, more robust flavor than light brown.

Add 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat the mixture and scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl with a spatula as needed. The wet ingredients are ready, so set them aside. Moving onto the dry ingredients…

I like to sift the dry ingredients together. Unsweetened cocoa powder can be quite lumpy and you don’t want any dry pockets of it in your cookies, so sifting it with the flour, baking soda, and salt just makes it easier to incorporate into the dough.

Once your dry ingredients are thoroughly mixed, add them slowly to the wet ingredients. I like to take a measuring cup and add about 1/2 cup of dry ingredients at a time with the mixer running on low.  This allows the dry and wet to be mixed together easily and prevents a huge powdery explosion all over my kitchen!

Don’t forget the last two crucial ingredients. The cookie dough is quite thick, so you need *some* liquid to thin it out again. Use 2 Tablespoons of milk, no more! Any more will make your dough VERY sticky and unmanageable. Trust me, I’ve tried. After the milk is mixed in by hand, add the 1.5 cups of Nestlé® Toll House® Dark Chocolate Morsels. I like a lot of morsels in every bite.

Chill the dough for at least 1-2 hours. Two hours is preferred. This step is mandatory. The longer you chill the dough, the less sticky it will be – making it much easier to handle in the next step. I even chill mine for 4 hours when I have the time.

Now comes the fun part! Grab 18 chocolate coated caramel candies or regular soft caramel candies (I prefer to use Rolos). Take 2 Tablespoons of chilled dough and split in half. Roll each into a ball with your hands. Stick a caramel into 1 ball, sort of like a cradle. I have a picture of how I do this in this similar cookie recipe. Top the caramel with the other ball of dough and seal down the sides so that the caramel is securely stuffed inside.

Top the cookie with a sprinkle of sea salt. I love salty sweet cookies! Chocolate, caramel, and salt are a winning combination and taste remarkable in this thick, soft cookie recipe.

Now it’s time to bake. About 12-13 minutes in the oven. The chocolate cookies are rather large and they will appear undone and very soft when you remove them from the oven. That is OK, I promise. The cookies will continue to bake as they cool on the cookie sheet.

I always slightly underbake cookies so that they remain soft. These chocolate cookies keep beautifully, and even get even softer on day 2. And remained soft for 7 whole days. They only lasted that long because I forgot about one lonesome cookie in my cookie jar. 😉

Just wait until you try one fresh out of the oven!

Now let’s look at the selling points here:

• Caramel oozing everywhere.
  • Melty dark chocolate.
  • Fudge brownie-like interior.
  • Sea salt on top to accentuate the sweetness.
  • Heavenly!

Thick cookies, chewy exterior, soft-baked consistency. All of my cookie requirements! I know you are going to love these chocolate cookies. And they are surprisingly easy to make.

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies

Yield: 16-18 cookies

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed dark brown sugar (or light brown sugar)
  • 1 large egg, room temperature preferred
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 2/3 cup (58g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoons (30ml) milk
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (270g) Nestlé® Toll House® Dark Chocolate Morsels
  • 16-17 chocolate coated caramels, such as Rolos
  • coarse sea salt

Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium speed for about 20 seconds. Add the sugars with the mixer running on medium speed. Cream it all together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a separate medium size bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together. Slowly add to the wet ingredients. Stir in the milk, then fold in the dark chocolate morsels. The dough will be thick and very sticky. Chill for at least 1-2 hours.

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.

Take 2 Tablespoons of chilled dough and split in half and roll each into a ball with your hands. Stick a caramel into 1 ball of dough. Top the caramel with the other ball of dough and seal down the sides so that the caramel is securely stuffed inside. Repeat with the rest of the dough and 18 caramel candies. Sprinkle each with sea salt before putting into the oven.

Bake for 12-13 minutes. Cookies will appear undone and very soft. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 16-18 large cookies. Cookies stay fresh and soft in an airtight container up to 7 days.

So you like dark chocolate, huh? Well you’ve come to the right place…

Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies

Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies

1 XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie

1 XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie

Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies

6 ingredient Flourless Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies - simply, healthy, quick!

See more chocolate recipes.

See more caramel recipes.

See more cookie recipes.

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies

This post is sponsored by Nestlé® Toll House® Dark Chocolate Morsels. Although this is a sponsored post and I have been compensated, the opinions expressed are my own and based upon my personal preference of the product.

316 Responses to “Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies.”

Abbyposted February 9, 2015 at 9:26 pm

I just realized I ran out of parchment paper. Shocking since I usually keep a supply. Can I keep dough refrigerated over night and bake tomorrow? Or can I Grease pan or will they not stick?

• Sallyreplied on February 10th, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Greasing the pan is OK. The dough can be refrigerated overnight.

Mussyposted February 18, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Would any u coated caramel candy work? I would like to make these non dairy and the chocolate coated is dairy.

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I’ve tested with many different caramel candies and they pretty much all work just fine in these cookies.

Nozomiposted March 11, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I made these today, with soymilk instead of milk. They’re so ridiculously rich and chocolatey! Thank you so much for inventing and sharing the recipe!

Samiposted March 21, 2015 at 8:55 pm

I have made these cookies twice and they are absolutely delicious. I got so many compliments from my friends and family! these are definitely some of my favorite cookies and I will be making them again!

christinaposted April 21, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Can you use dove chocolate covered caramels?

Deannaposted April 23, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Can your salted caramel sauce be used instead of the rolos or would it be too runny?

• Sallyreplied on April 24th, 2015 at 3:44 pm

I fear it would be way too runny unfortunately.

Chelsea -NZposted May 9, 2015 at 5:51 am

Hi sally!
    This weekend I have made 3 of your different cookies recipes- all just exchanging the flour to gluten free flour as I am coeliac and they were all such a hit no one could tell. Your recipes have inspired me to bake again being gluten free. I feel like everything I have made before I found your page was pathetic!!!! Your brilliant. Thanks so much! These cookies were to die for.

• Elisereplied on September 25th, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Hi Chelsea!
      What kind of gluten free flour do you use for this recipe? My mother is Celiac and I love being able to bake her something new and exciting!!

Chelsea -NZposted May 9, 2015 at 5:54 am

Also sally how can I buy your cook book in nz?

• Sallyreplied on May 9th, 2015 at 9:13 am

Hi Chelsea! It should be available online and in stores wherever cookbooks are sold.

Alisonposted May 16, 2015 at 10:49 am

i have your first cookbook and have been eying these Salted Caramel dark chocolate cookies in there for months. Finally made them a couple of weeks ago and they are DIVINE! Thank you so much from a fellow chocoholic :)

Elizabeth F.posted May 27, 2015 at 12:57 am

As a self confessed people pleaser, I usually make other folks favorites.  Well I am recovered!  I love dark chocolate, love, love caramel, and will probably have some kind of disease related to over sea salt consumption!  I made these because they looked so darn delectable in your divine pictures and I needed a just me cookie.  My daughter is a chocoholic and said “mom, don’t put the sea salt on next time they will taste better”.  I say more sea salt means no sharing with adolescent whiner!!!  Needless to say these truly were one of the best cookies I have ever made.  I will make them again this weekend for the unsalted daughters bake sale and see how much moola i rake in to cover her ridiculously expensive Cheerleading tab.  Thank you once again Sally for the great recipes that continue to inspire my own baking “obsession” since you have already rightly so cornered the market on the “addiction” label.

• Sallyreplied on May 28th, 2015 at 7:59 am

I’m so glad you love this recipe so much! Thank you!

Laurenposted June 7, 2015 at 6:20 am

Hi, I made this recipe from your cookbook and really LOVED it. The cookies turned  out so perfectly, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Thank you for the recipe!
    I posted pictures of the result on my blog :!

KorIposted June 28, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Is it possible to MAKe these cookies…let them cool completely…then freeze and thaw a few days later for eating?

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2015 at 5:56 pm

P.Cposted September 7, 2015 at 3:39 am

I made these cookies like 10 times BUT! they turn out cakey every time. I mean they crack and crumble very easily (unlike your chocolate chip cookie recipes, and yes I tried them too!). Your chocolate chip cookies turn out nicely and hold the shape very well if you know what I mean.

I cream the butter and sugar with spatula so there’s no whipping process to add air and make the cookie brittle. Also, I mix in egg with low speed. Please correct this if I misunderstood.

Please kindly suggest what I’ve done wrong and how to fix that. I prefer the texture of the chocolate chip cookies but the taste is this recipe is heaven too :)

• Sallyreplied on September 7th, 2015 at 7:15 am

Cakey cookies usually means there is a higher ratio of flour to fat– are you over measuring the flour at all? Make sure you are spooning and leveling it. I never cream the butter and sugar by hand; always a mixer. I’d try that since the recipe calls for it and the cookies are never cakey using the directed method. You can also try adding 2 Tbsp more butter as well.

• P.Creplied on September 14th, 2015 at 6:02 am

Thank you for your advice. I tried again according to the additional 2 tbsp butter, the cookies look better but still crumbly. I measure all ingredients by weighing (including the 125 g flour).
        How about sticking to your recipe with an additional egg? I’m afraid the dough could be cakey though.

Aprilposted September 25, 2015 at 2:37 am

Hello. I was wondering if chopped chocolate would work instead of the chocolate chips? By the way, these look delicious, I swear I almost drooled all over my keyboard. That’s how good they look, especially to a chocolate addict such as myself.

Natalieposted October 27, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Hello, love your cookbook and site first of all.
     Alright here we go I love caramel and dark chocolate so I have tried to make this cookie twice now out of your cook book my husband bought me last year. Sadly though they have not turned out as they should. I’m not sure if my oven is off or what exactly is up but they turn out flat and the caramel turns just chewy and in the very center almost completely in contact almost as if the caramel never melted. I’ve tried baking more and less and still no success :/ I can not figure out where I go wrong. I’m persistent though, I give up for awhile then keep coming back to this recipe to figure out what keeps going wrong.

• Sallyreplied on October 28th, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Natalie, which brand of caramels are you using? I recommend kraft chewy caramels. And don’t be afraid to add another Tablespoon or two of flour to the cookie dough. That will help prevent spreading. Hope this helps!