Cookies and Cream Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Frosting.

Fluffy and easy vanilla cupcakes stuffed with crushed Oreos and topped with a creamy milk chocolate frosting. If you love chocolate, you have to try these. So unbelievably delicious!

Cookies 'n Cream Milk Chocolate Cupcakes - if you love chocolate, you have to try these. So unbelievably delicious!

What’s black and white and milk chocolate all over? Vanilla cookies & cream cupcakes with fluffy milk chocolate frosting, that’s what. Topped with more cookies & cream crumbles, of course.

I recently made Very Vanilla Cupcakes.  A strikingly white cupcake full of delicate vanilla flavor. The cupcake batter is spiked with real vanilla bean. They truly are wonderful! Today’s cookies & cream version does not use vanilla bean in the batter. I simply spruce up the cupcake batter with vanilla extract and a whole lotta crushed Oreos.

I love how the black Oreo chunks look inside the cupcakes. Like dalmatian spots. 😉

I considered topping the cupcakes with vanilla frosting.  However, a chocolate craving hit and I just had to go with it.  The milk chocolate frosting used should be  familiar to you.  I used it to frost my Triple Chocolate Layer Cake not too long ago.

The milk chocolate frosting is the fluffiest, smoothest frosting I’ve ever had. My one friend said it almost tastes silky.  It is, hands down, one of my favorite frosting recipes. And luckily – it’s so easy to make!  Would you expect anything less on my website? I favor effortless recipes.  Especially recipes tasting like you slaved in the kitchen all day.

The cupcakes come from a simple batter, with easily available ingredients.  They are ready in about 30 minutes and the frosting takes about 6 minutes total.  You can have a freshly baked cupcake in no time!

I have a lot of readers ask me – how do your cupcake liners stay grease-free?  Well, this particular cupcake recipe makes about 15 cupcakes and the batter calls for only 1 stick of butter for the entire batch.  There’s not too much grease in the to start with.

But I have another secret.  I often use greaseproof liners! My friends over at Sweets & Treats Boutique make a line of over 40 different patterned liners, all using their unique Colorblock greaseproof material. They also sell party bags, fun paper straws (I just bought several!), and other treat supplies.

I love the pretty back & white chevron pattern of my liners – it matches the Oreo cookie crumbles on top.

This is a new favorite cupcake. The creamy chocolate frosting, the crushed cookies, the moist and soft vanilla Oreo cupcake hiding underneath, and the designer cupcake liner – these cupcakes truly feel like a real treat when you’re eating one.  Fancy little mini cakes, all to yourself.  That’s one of the reasons I love cupcakes so much. It’s your own individual cake.

If you love cookies & cream flavored anything, these cupcakes are for you!  You can frost them with today’s milk chocolate frosting or my easy vanilla buttercream.  The crushed Oreo decoration on top is completely necessary though. 😉

Cookies 'n' Cream Cupcakes

Yield: 15 cupcakes

Fluffy and easy vanilla cupcakes stuffed with crushed Oreos and topped with a creamy milk chocolate frosting. If you love chocolate, you have to try these. So unbelievably delicious.

• 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup (60g) vanilla greek yogurt (or plain; or regular yogurt; or even sour cream)
  • 3/4 cup (180ml) milk (cow's milk, soy milk, or almond milk)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 cups chopped Oreo pieces (about 14-15 Oreos)

Milk Chocolate Frosting

• 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3 and 1/2 cups (420g) confections' sugar
  • 1/2 cup (45g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream*
  • 4-5 crumbled Oreos, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
  2. To make the cupcakes: In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined. Set aside. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in the granulated sugar. Mixture will be thick. Vigorously whisk in the egg whites, yogurt, milk, and vanilla until combined and uniform in texture. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Gently fold in the Oreos.
  3. Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners (or 24 mini) and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake for 8-9 minutes if making mini cupcakes. Allow to cool.
  4. To make the frosting: Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy - about 2 minutes. This creates a creamy base for the frosting. Turn speed to LOW and slowly add 3 cups of confectioners' sugar, the cocoa powder, and salt. Beat until sugar/cocoa are absorbed into the butter, about 2 minutes. Turn mixer to medium speed and add the vanilla and cream. Once added, turn the mixer to high speed and beat for 1 minute. Add the last 1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar if you'd like to increase the frosting's thickness. Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Top with Oreo crumbles.
  5. Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.

*I strongly urge readers to use heavy cream.  You may use milk or half-and-half, but heavy cream will give the frosting a thicker texture.  I recommend it.

Here are a handful of recipes you’ll also love:

Cookies & Cream Peanut Butter Bark

Cookies n Cream Peanut Butter Bark by Sallys Baking Addiction

Or my Oreo Cheesecake Cookies

Oreo Cheesecake Cookies

Very Vanilla Cupcakes

Very Vanilla Cupcakes

Funfetti Golden Oreo Fudge

Funfetti Golden Oreo Fudge

Death by Chocolate Cupcakes

Death by Chocolate Cupcakes

Chocolate Cupcakes with Fluffy Nutella Frosting

Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Nutella Frosting

See more of my cupcake recipes!

1,148 Responses to “Cookies and Cream Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Frosting.”

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chefposted May 8, 2013 at 10:57 am

i follow you on pinterest & pinned a recipe

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chefposted May 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chefposted May 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

i like Sweets & Treats Boutique on fb

Traciposted May 8, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I would make some chocolate cupcakes with raspberry frosting because I’ve been wanting to do that forever and these liners would be so great for that. Thanks for the giveaway!

Olivia Helmposted January 7, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Hi Sally! Thank you so much for this recipe! I’ve finally found the perfect Milk Chocolate Buttercream frosting! I’ve tried to add melted chocolate chips to buttercream before – disaster!! It was not even pipeable, and it began to crumble! I know for sure that this won’t happen with this frosting! I’ll be glad when I have the chance to try this delectable frosting!

Julieposted January 30, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I just made these cupcakes for my suitemate’s birthday, and everyone has said that they are the best cupcakes they have ever eaten! Thank you for the amazing recipe!

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2014 at 4:08 pm

What a compliment! Happy to hear it, Julie.

yiotaposted March 11, 2014 at 3:07 am

Good morning!!! I am from Greece and i want to say that i’m in love with your site…i’m in love with cupcakes!!!you are the best!!thanks for sharing your recipes with us!Have a nice day!!!! 😀

Snehaposted March 11, 2014 at 6:40 am

Hi Sally, want to make these cupcakes but not sure of the measurements as they r not in grams.pls could u help .

• Sallyreplied on March 11th, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Just updated to include grams.

Nicole Dposted March 19, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I want to make these for my Boyfriend’s Birthday. Could this be made into a double layer cake? If so how long should it bake and does the temperature change?
    Thanks so much!

• Sallyreplied on March 19th, 2014 at 7:35 pm

It can be made into a double layer cake – yes. You have two options. (1) Pour batter into a 9×2 inch pan, bake for 30-35 minutes or until baked through. Cool, then slice the cake horizontally to create two layers. Frost. (2) Double the cake recipe and bake in two separate 9-inch cake pans for 1 extra tall layer cake. Double the frosting recipe as well.

• Nicole Dreplied on March 23rd, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Turned out delicious, the bf loved it. Thank you!

Melindaposted April 7, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Ok so I recently made these and the fresh strawberry cupcakes for my birthday… And I had such high hopes for them!! I followed the recipes exactly…. And sadly they didn’t turn out very good. The frostings were both great! But the cupcake part…. It was like way too dense…. Kind of chewy. My sister in law is the cupcake expert in our family and she says she always uses a mixer in the batter to fluff it up and keep it from getting dense. But I read that you don’t do that. Also I should note… I did bake the strawberry ones a bit longer than 20 mins because I kept putting a toothpick in and it didn’t come out clean. I think maybe I put in too much puree and that messed with the texture? And maybe too much oreos in this batter? I dunno. Was kind of bummed.

• Sallyreplied on April 8th, 2014 at 7:22 am

Hey Melinda! I actually find using a mixer is an easy way to overmix the batter, which will lend a tough textured cupcake. So sorry you didn’t care for my cupcake recipes! You can try using cake flour – a much softer flour than all-purpose. I use it all the time.

Elleposted April 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm

hi sally,

I can’t wait to make this for my son’s birthday on saturday! can I use heavy whipping cream instead of heavy cream for the frosting? what is the difference? thank you for any advice :)
    I will also be making the funetti cookies for his class party.
    awesome blog..thanks for yummy adorable ideas.

• Sallyreplied on April 8th, 2014 at 1:34 pm

They’re essentially the same thing, though heavy cream has a very slight less fat percentage. Both can be used interchangeably in my frosting recipes.

Wadad Jomaaposted May 31, 2014 at 9:17 am

This recipe sounds great! I do have a question about the amount of frosting the recipe makes. Does it make enough to heavily frost all fifteen cupcakes? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on May 31st, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Karenposted June 13, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I want to make this recipe into a 9 x 13 single layer cake. Would I double the cake recipe?

• Sallyreplied on June 13th, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Yep! I’m unsure of the bake time.

Courtneyposted June 24, 2014 at 11:33 pm

HUGE HIT!! I folded oreo’s into the vanilla butter cream (cookies n cream :) )and garnished the frosting with even more cookie crumbles! Delicious!!!

Khadija Rposted October 22, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Hi. Amazing recipe and yummy cupcakes!!Thanks a lot

camilaposted March 17, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Oh. My. God! These are the most delicious cupcakes I’ve ever tasted. I haven’t even started the icing yet and they’re halfway gone.
    I’ve also made your soft cranberry and white chocolate chips cookies twice, they’re so delicious! , and tomorrow I’ll make the xxl death by chocolate mega cookie that just looks unbelievable delicious. I’m definitely going to put on on a lot of weight… Lol

Thank you!

Jackieposted March 25, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Hey there! I’ve been searching pinterest for a vanilla oreo cake recipe and came across this. But I’m a baking amateur – can you tell me how these cupcakes would translate to a cake? Would I need to do anything differently? Different baking time or oven temperature?

• Sallyreplied on March 25th, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Baking time would be a little longer. I suggest using a 9-inch springform or deep dish baking pan (9×2 inches). Same oven temperature!

Zainab Hasanposted April 23, 2015 at 9:57 am

I am zainab from India. I made cookies and cream cupcakes today and my family loved it. I always follow your recipes for cupcakes because they come out perfect. Thank you for sharing the recipes. I am your big Fan :) :).

Amyposted May 26, 2015 at 3:41 pm

These are INCREDIBLE. Not too sweet, delicious and unusual cake batter recipe. Will definitely be sharing this recipe with all my friends.

Juliaposted June 7, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Hi Sally!  Made these cupcakes for a graduation party and they were AMAZING! Instead of topping with crumbled oreo’s, I topped them with mini oreo’s and they turned out great.  Your recipes never disappoint!

wajihaposted June 10, 2015 at 12:07 am

WOW, cant wait to make these !
    can i top them with simple whipped cream and crushed oreos? do you think they will pair up well?
    Also if i dont have liners, can i just butter the pan?

• Sallyreplied on June 10th, 2015 at 8:01 am

The whipped cream and Oreo combo sounds delicious. And you can simply grease the cupcake pan instead.

Najiaposted June 23, 2015 at 1:14 pm

These cupcakes sound delicious and I can’t wait to bake them this weekend. Could I use this recipe and use Reese cups inside the batter also?, I like Oreos and my boyfriend loves Reese cups.

• Sallyreplied on June 23rd, 2015 at 6:47 pm

That would be fine. Enjoy!

Margaretposted June 25, 2015 at 10:56 pm

This is a wonderful recipe, thanks so much for sharing!! I found that keeping an egg yolk in the mix, using cake flour, and cooking on 325 at 23 minutes helped. This enhanced the softness and moisture as well as kept the cream-look ( in cookies and cream). Of course you may want to consider that I was baking in a 90 degree kitchen with a small (half-size gas-lit oven).

Jessicaposted June 27, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Hi Sally! I just had a quick question – for the 2 egg whites, about how many teaspoons/tablespoons would that be? I buy egg whites in a carton rather than separating them myself.

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2015 at 4:53 pm

About 1.5 – 2 Tablespoons for each. So, 3-4.

Najiaposted June 28, 2015 at 9:11 pm

I made these fabulous cupcakes today!!!!!!…. Goodness, I could not stop eating the batter!!!!, they’re so good. My little sister ate here without the frosting. The frosting is off the chain!!…its milk chocolate flavor is to die for!!!, you are a great influence and an inspiration for me!!. I also made the chewy choc chip cookies today!!, you should win a Nobel Peace Prize!!!!!!!

jiaposted July 10, 2015 at 12:30 pm

i made these  with whipped cream and oreo frosting.
    they were finished in an instant!

tracyposted July 14, 2015 at 11:27 pm

The recipe sounds amazing! Would you mind giving me an estimated amount of how much money I’d spend?

courtney morrisposted August 3, 2015 at 6:52 pm

awesome cupcake! My party guest loved them!

Aubreyposted August 12, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I just made these for a party and they were a hit! I’m wondering though…my chocolate frosting doesn’t look at vibrant as yours, but still tastes plenty chocolatey. Am I just not measuring right, or is it the lighting?

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2015 at 7:08 am

Like, it is not as dark a shade of brown? Maybe it’s the lighting? Glad you like it.

Ericaposted August 15, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Hi Sally! Great recipe! Would the recipe still work without yogurt?

Najiaposted August 28, 2015 at 12:32 am

Hello!!, I love this cupcake recipe and I was thinking that it would be even better as a cake with crushed Oreo filling. Yum!!… This recipe is a small recipe so I was wondering if you knew how many times I had to times it to fill a 10 by 2 square cake pan?…..Thanks!!

Jessposted September 10, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Omg Sally…I baked 50 of these for my godmother’s 50th birthday, ALL of them got eaten by the end of the night! I got nothing but compliments on them, including “best cupcakes ever”! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on September 10th, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Way to go on 50 cupcakes! So sweet for the celebration!

Sydney Sunposted September 13, 2015 at 4:09 pm

These look fabulous! I love that you switched it up and have the frosting chocolate and a vanilla cupcake base – so creative! Check out my blog if you get a chance. :)

Sydney Sun
    For the Love of Baking

Meredithposted September 16, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Do you think this recipe would work for a cake? I’m making a large 13×15 two tiered cake and was wondering how many cups of batter this recipe makes so I can adjust it to my needs. My son would love this for his birthday! Thank you!

1 19 20 21