Fluffy and easy vanilla cupcakes stuffed with crushed Oreos and topped with a creamy milk chocolate frosting. If you love chocolate, you have to try these. So unbelievably delicious!
What’s black and white and milk chocolate all over? Vanilla cookies & cream cupcakes with fluffy milk chocolate frosting, that’s what. Topped with more cookies & cream crumbles, of course.
I recently made Very Vanilla Cupcakes. A strikingly white cupcake full of delicate vanilla flavor. The cupcake batter is spiked with real vanilla bean. They truly are wonderful! Today’s cookies & cream version does not use vanilla bean in the batter. I simply spruce up the cupcake batter with vanilla extract and a whole lotta crushed Oreos.
I love how the black Oreo chunks look inside the cupcakes. Like dalmatian spots.
I considered topping the cupcakes with vanilla frosting. However, a chocolate craving hit and I just had to go with it. The milk chocolate frosting used should be familiar to you. I used it to frost my Triple Chocolate Layer Cake not too long ago.
The milk chocolate frosting is the fluffiest, smoothest frosting I’ve ever had. My one friend said it almost tastes silky. It is, hands down, one of my favorite frosting recipes. And luckily – it’s so easy to make! Would you expect anything less on my website? I favor effortless recipes. Especially recipes tasting like you slaved in the kitchen all day.
The cupcakes come from a simple batter, with easily available ingredients. They are ready in about 30 minutes and the frosting takes about 6 minutes total. You can have a freshly baked cupcake in no time!
I have a lot of readers ask me – how do your cupcake liners stay grease-free? Well, this particular cupcake recipe makes about 15 cupcakes and the batter calls for only 1 stick of butter for the entire batch. There’s not too much grease in the to start with.
But I have another secret. I often use greaseproof liners! My friends over at Sweets & Treats Boutique make a line of over 40 different patterned liners, all using their unique Colorblock greaseproof material. They also sell party bags, fun paper straws (I just bought several!), and other treat supplies.
I love the pretty back & white chevron pattern of my liners – it matches the Oreo cookie crumbles on top.
This is a new favorite cupcake. The creamy chocolate frosting, the crushed cookies, the moist and soft vanilla Oreo cupcake hiding underneath, and the designer cupcake liner – these cupcakes truly feel like a real treat when you’re eating one. Fancy little mini cakes, all to yourself. That’s one of the reasons I love cupcakes so much. It’s your own individual cake.
If you love cookies & cream flavored anything, these cupcakes are for you! You can frost them with today’s milk chocolate frosting or my easy vanilla buttercream. The crushed Oreo decoration on top is completely necessary though.
Cookies 'n' Cream Cupcakes
Fluffy and easy vanilla cupcakes stuffed with crushed Oreos and topped with a creamy milk chocolate frosting. If you love chocolate, you have to try these. So unbelievably delicious.
Yield: 15 cupcakes
- 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup (60g) vanilla greek yogurt (or plain; or regular yogurt; or even sour cream)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk (cow's milk, soy milk, or almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped Oreo pieces (about 14-15 Oreos)
Milk Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 and 1/2 cups (420g) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (64g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream*
- 4-5 crumbled Oreos, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- To make the cupcakes: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Stir in sugar - mixture will be gritty. Stir in egg whites, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Fold in the crushed Oreos. Batter will be thick.
- Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners (or 24 mini) and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake for 8-9 minutes if making mini cupcakes. Allow to cool.
- To make the frosting: On medium speed, cream butter for 3-4 minutes in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. This creates a creamy base for the frosting. Turn speed to LOW and slowly pour in the dry ingredients. Be careful so that the dry ingredients do not blow everywhere. Mix until sugar/cocoa are absorbed by the butter. Turn up mixer to medium speed and add the vanilla and salt. Slowly add the cream and beat for about 2 minutes or until the frosting reaches a desired thickness. Add the last 1/2 cup of powdered sugar if needed to increase frosting thickness (I did not need it). Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Top with Oreo crumbles.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the refrigerator up to 7.
*I strongly urge readers to use heavy cream. You may use milk or half-and-half, but heavy cream will give the frosting a thicker texture. I recommend it.
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Here are a handful of recipes you’ll also love:
Or my Oreo Cheesecake Cookies
See more of my cupcake recipes!