Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshakes.

Smooth, creamy thick strawberry milkshakes made from only 3 healthy ingredients.

3 ingredient Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshakes. by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Have you ever had a banana whip before?

What’s a banana whip, you ask? There’s a little spot on the boardwalk that sells pure frozen banana whips. Frozen banana chunks blended into ice cream consistency… and it tastes EXACTLY like vanilla soft serve.

I make it at home all the time. Peel your brown spotty bananas, chop them up, freeze the chunks, and blend them. Boom! Healthy 1 ingredient vegan vanilla soft serve. ↓

1 Ingredient Frozen Banana Soft Serve

This frozen banana whip is the base for my strawberry banana milkshakes. I make these fruity milkshakes all the time.  They’re one of my favorite afternoon snacks, especially when all I want is something sweet and refreshing. Sometimes I add different fruits to the banana base, but it’s usually strawberry.  I like pink drinks. 😉

Thick strawberry milkshakes are a weakness of mine.  But let’s face it, I’d rather eat my calories in chocolate chunk cookies than drink them.  You can have a strawberry milkshake that tastes exactly like the kind from your favorite drive-thru – and it’s made from pure fruit! Pretty hard to believe, right?!

The milkshakes are super thick, practically too thick for my pink chevron straws! Courtesy of Sweets & Treats Boutique. Love ’em.

3 ingredient Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshakes. by sallysbakingaddiction.com

The milkshakes are made from frozen banana chunks, a few fresh strawberries, and a splash of milk.  You may keep them vegan by using soy or almond milk.  Make sure the bananas you freeze are extra ripe.  I usually buy a few bunches of bananas simply for the purpose of letting them rot and freezing the chunks to make milkshakes. :)

The riper the bananas, the sweeter they are, and the better your strawberry milkshakes will taste.

Sort of like how banana bread works, too. The more ripe your bananas, the better the bread will be.  Looking for banana bread?  You can’t miss my favorite banana bread recipe.

3 ingredient Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshakes. by sallysbakingaddiction.com

These milkshakes are a non-recipe recipe.  All you’re doing is blending three ingredients together!  But it’s incredible how amazing they taste considering how easy they are to make.  Simple, fresh, healthy ingredients make the best milkshakes and smoothies.

I always feel good drinking these. 3 ingredients, 5 minutes, done!!

Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshakes by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Strawberry Banana Milkshakes

Yield: serves 2

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 3 large bananas, peeled, cut into chunks, & frozen
  • 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk (or regular milk)
  • 8 medium strawberries, sliced in half

Directions:

1. Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender that will blend up the frozen banana. I like this Ninja or this Vitamix.
  2. Blend the frozen banana chunks and milk together until thick, creamy, and smooth - about 4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
  3. Add the strawberries and continue to blend until smooth.

Another one of my favorite snacks? Chocolate Covered Cherry Protein Smoothie. I drink it after my workouts. 14g protein and SO refreshing!

Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie

Q: What are your favorite healthy snacks like?

This post contains affiliate links.

103 Responses to “Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshakes.”

Alexisposted May 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I made these for the second time today! So easy and yummy; it’s a milkshake without the guilt! Both times I used frozen strawberries instead of fresh ones, but it turned out well. The first time I made them I didn’t freeze the bananas, and they weren’t super ripe yet. Today I used much riper, frozen bananas, and the consistency was sweeter and thicker. Thanks for sharing! I used my Ninja blender, too; that thing can blend anything!

• Sallyreplied on May 25th, 2013 at 7:13 am

Yep, you can’t make the banana whip base without frozen bananas. They are key to the recipe! Glad you loved it.

Erin @ Texanerin Bakingposted May 25, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Oh, yummy! I’ve been making something like this a lot lately. So good! I love how healthy it is but it still tastes like dessert.

And I love your glasses! Are they wine glasses? I ordered something similar from Amazon but they’re… squattier. If that makes sense.

• Sallyreplied on May 25th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Hi Erin!! Yep, they are stemless wine glasses. I love them! I got them from Home Goods.

• Erin @ Texanerin Bakingreplied on May 26th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I keep hearing about this Home Goods place! I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the reply! :)

Lisaposted May 29, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Just made this today and wow! So good that I had to share and I linked back to your blog! I see myself making this with all kinds of fresh fruit all summer long.

• Sallyreplied on May 29th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Great! I can’t wait to check it out on your blog.

Yvonne @ bitter bakerposted June 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Summer here we cooome!!! :) This is probably THE perfect snack to have after a long run!

Lizposted June 14, 2013 at 2:18 am

Officially obsessed with your blog.

And I totally agree-whocould turn down such a pink drink? Can’t wait to try your banana freeznig method. Thank you for your awesome recipes.

• Sallyreplied on June 14th, 2013 at 6:17 am

Thanks Liz! Let me know if you try it sometime soon :)

Mary @ Fit and Fedposted July 2, 2013 at 3:55 pm

So simple, and perfect for this time of year when it’s starting to get hot and is the height of strawberry season! It’s also a pretty pink– and I love the cool straw.

• Sallyreplied on July 2nd, 2013 at 5:31 pm

The pretty pink color makes the milkshake even more fun to drink. 😉 Thanks Mary!

Lauraposted July 30, 2013 at 6:18 am

I am on a calorie controlled diet and have lost 10 pounds in 16 days so far. could someone help me to find out how many calories are in these shakes cause they taste so good!!!

• Sallyreplied on July 30th, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Hi Laura – it’s easy to calculate these calories. Just add the calories in a banana, strawberries, and the milk. Feel free to look those up online.

Maddieposted January 21, 2014 at 10:29 pm

I had the strawberries frozen as well- whoops! The smoothie was delicious, and I ended up with strawberry chunks along with blended smoothie

Kathryn Cothernposted April 21, 2014 at 11:58 pm

I just picked 55.75 lbs of fresh strawberries at a local farm so what perfect timing to find this recipe! I look forward to my green / strawberry smoothie every day for lunch…yummo!! :)

• Sallyreplied on April 22nd, 2014 at 7:43 am

Enjoy, Kathryn!

Kathryn Cothernposted April 21, 2014 at 11:59 pm

One more thing…I LOVE the straws you used in the photo. Absolutely adorable!! So pretty and cheerful! :)

Stephanieposted January 29, 2015 at 11:50 pm

OMG! Your picture looks so ‘pinklicious’. As with any other gal, pink has always been my weakness.

I’ve always used to blending my banana, strawberry and the ice together. Freezing the banana is something for me to try out.

But I’ve got 1 question. You mentioned ‘rotten banana’ and freeze them up. Does it have to be rotten?

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2015 at 8:18 am

Hi Stephanie. It should be incredibly ripe– the riper, the sweeter the banana and the less “banana-y” it tastes after being frozen then whipped.

Ashlee Sidesposted March 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Love strawberry milkshakes!!’ And I love this healthier option!

Lisaposted March 26, 2015 at 8:34 am

sally iam trying your milk shake this morning, but i doi not know what the total calories carbs, and sodium are if any?i do know srawberries and bananas have some calories and they have there own natural sugars. i am using fat free milk.if you could help me with this it be appreciated. i am on a low carb low sodium diet. thanks. Lisa

zoyahposted April 8, 2015 at 8:30 am

Hey sally, I dont have a blender so would it make a difference if I just stirred the bananas and milk or would you recommend me to buy a blender????

Vickyposted May 31, 2015 at 7:31 am

Wow, these all look amazing!  I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who buys extra bananas just to freeze them, LOL!