Best-Ever Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting.

4 whole bananas, brown sugar, extra egg, and yogurt makes this banana bread super-moist and soft.

4 whole bananas, brown sugar, extra egg, and yogurt makes this banana bread super-moist and soft! Recipe at

I have plenty of banana bread recipes on my website.

But what about a recipe for the best-ever banana bread? A twist on the classic. Adorned with tangy cream cheese frosting and sprinkled with sweet pecans. Have mercy! Pass me a plate.

“Best-ever” is quite a bold statement, right?  Well, I’ve tried many many many (many!) basic banana bread recipes. And I can happily admit that this one is my very favorite.  Have I tried all of the banana breads in the world? No.  But this one is the best I’ve ever had.

What makes it so darn good? Let’s see…

To begin, this banana bread has the most bananas out of any banana bread I’ve ever made before. 2 whole cups (which is 4 large bananas). Typically, I make banana bread with about 3 large bananas, equating to about 1.5 cups total. More bananas adds more moisture to the finished product.

In addition, I used all brown sugar in this recipe. I’ve explained before that brown sugar is the culprit behind soft, moist cookies. Well, brown sugar works that same magic in carrot cakes and banana bread. There is no white sugar in today’s banana bread recipe. The sweetness comes from brown sugar and bananas. (and that cream cheese frosting!)

I used two eggs in this recipe. Eggs bring cakes, cupcakes, breads, doughs, and cookies their stability and structure, as well as a tender texture. My Raspberry Swirl Sweet Rolls have a rich, soft dough and the main reason is because there are two eggs.

Yogurt adds even more moisture to this banana bread. I like to use yogurt as much as possible when I’m baking. While adding moisture and creaminess to baked goods, it also is a great substitution for butter or oil. This bread does call for butter, though.

Buttery, rich, soft, melt-in-your-mouth Best Ever Banana Bread.

Best-Ever Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting

I added chopped pecans to the banana bread batter. Feel free to leave them out completely if you are not a fan of banana nut bread. I loved their sweet, toasty slight crunch against the soft banana bread crumbs.

The cream cheese frosting is also optional, but I had to add it on top. I haven’t made a cream cheese-glazed banana bread in forever and was craving its tangy flavor when this banana bread came out of the oven. Cream cheese frosting was an afterthought, albeit a great one. It’s the same cream cheese frosting sitting atop my beloved Super-Moist Carrot Cake recipe. It’s the best (and easiest!) cream cheese frosting I’ve ever had. It’s not overly sweet or chemical-filled like the kind you get at the store.  Frosting the bread takes hardly any effort. Just plop some on top and give a quick smear around with a knife. Sprinkle nuts on top if you wish. Or even chocolate chips. 😉

Overall, this is quite an easy recipe for classic banana bread. The batter takes about 10 minutes to throw together. I whipped up the frosting as the banana bread cooled and stored it in the refrigerator until I was ready to frost.  The smell of banana bread baking lured me back into the kitchen after about 1 hour.  Nothing beats the smell of fresh banana bread in the oven!

Each bite will melt in your mouth.  This is truly the best I’ve ever had!

Best-Ever Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Icing

Yield: 1 loaf

Tender, flavorful, and super-moist banana bread made from 4 bananas, brown sugar, butter, and yogurt. Topped with a sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting. My very favorite banana bread recipe.

Banana Bread

• 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar (or dark brown sugar)
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature preferred
  • 1/3 cup (80g) Greek yogurt*
  • 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large very ripe bananas)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup (70g) chopped pecans

Cream Cheese Frosting

• 4 ounces cream cheese (112g), softened to room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup (120g) powdered (confectioners') sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt, or as needed
  • chopped pecans to sprinkle on top, optional

Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Lightly spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Make the bread: Using a hand-held or stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed, about 3 minutes. On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt, mashed bananas and vanilla on medium speed for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the mixer if using a stand mixer. Set aside.

In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together until combined. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Slowly stir everything together until no more flour pockets remain. Do not overmix. Fold in the pecans.

Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 60-65 minutes, loosely covering the bread with aluminum foil at the 30 minute mark. This will prevent the top and sides from getting too brown. A toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf will come out clean when the bread is done. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

Make the frosting: beat the softened cream cheese and butter together on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until soft, creamy, and combined thoroughly. Add powdered sugar and beat until thick and combined. Add milk and beat on medium speed for 2 more minutes. Add more powdered sugar until desired thickness is reached. Add salt to taste. I a quick shake of salt to cut the sweetness.

Spread the frosting on the cooled banana bread. There may be some frosting leftover depending how thick you layer it on top. Sprinkle with additional pecans, if desired.

Store bread in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 7 days.  Frost right before serving.  Banana bread tastes best on day 2 after the flavors have settled together. Unfrosted banana bread freezes well, up to 2 months.

*Either Greek or regular (non-Greek) yogurt are fine. Plain, vanilla, or honey flavored preferred. I typically use nonfat but low fat is ok.

Banana bread is my favorite quick bread to make.

Today’s recipe is a classic version, but here are a couple doctored up versions I love:

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Banana Bread

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Banana Bread by

White Chocolate Chip Mango Banana Bread

White Chocolate Mango Banana Bread

Nutella Swirled Peanut Butter Banana Bread

Peanut Butter Nutella Banana Bread

268 Responses to “Best-Ever Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting.”

Kath Guevarraposted January 24, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Hi Sally! I made this bread last week and it was a hit!
    I so love the texture of this bread recipe.
    Im thinking if you do have a butter quick bread recipe here?
    i just wanted to add diff flavors on the frosting and have a plain butter bread. Could you help me with that?
    Thanks a lot!

LaTanyaposted January 27, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Hi Sally, thanks for the recipe. I made this as muffins today. They taste great. The texture was a little chewy probably because they stayed in the oven a little too long. I think baking in muffin pan reduces the cook time so 20-25 mins would have been perfect as opposed to the 30 minutes I baked mine for. I did a few substitutions. I used some cashews i had on hand and I also used thawed frozen bananas that made this liquid once thawed. I used the liquid in the frosting instead of milk. Gave it a nice banana flavor.

Natposted February 6, 2015 at 4:07 am

Just came out of the oven… I’m so excited!! :)

My only problem (so far) is with the icing. I followed it to the letter, but it was way too thin. I had to keep on adding more sugar, pinches of salt, and eventually even a bit more cream cheese. I must have added at /least/ half a cup more of sugar!
    After a while, I had to stop. Mum reminded me that a few hours in the fridge would probably firm it up a bit, so I’m counting on that now. But at least it tasted good… It’s going to be hard to eat dinner after the amount I just had!
    Anyway, Sally, my question to you is- Can you think of what I could have done wrong with the icing? Or is it supposed to be really thin? I guess next time I can omit the milk, or only add a bit… :/

• Sallyreplied on February 6th, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Nat, I recommend leaving out the liquid in this case. What brand cream cheese are you using? Is it extra thick, brick-style cream cheese?

• Natreplied on February 6th, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I used Kraft Philadelphia. And it was the thick, brick-style cream cheese.
        It’s pretty hot here; so perhaps my ‘room temperature’ cream cheese and butter was a bit softer then yours. Ah well. I’ll add milk cautiously next time.

Also, the banana bread was great, moist and banana-y :)

Linposted February 6, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Hello sally, I’m your blog fans. Love your cakes recipe! Want to ask, if I want to turn your cake into mini cupcake size, how long I need to bake? And if I want to turn it into normal cupcake/muffin size, how long i need to bake? Thank you!

Aliyaposted March 5, 2015 at 5:38 am

Dear Sally, I am huge fan of your recipes. When I made this bread for the first time it turned out just as pictured, firm with darkish brown colour. I used 1 1/4 cups of bananas. Second time I used 2 cups of bananas as mentioned in the recipe, but the bread was light in colour with sagging middle. I want to know what went wrong.

Cateposted March 28, 2015 at 8:01 am

Made this the other day & just enjoyed yet another slice with my breakfast. Yum! I chose this recipe from your several banana bread recipes because I had (you guessed it) 4 very ripe bananas on hand and I’m so glad I did. The flavor and texture are fantastic and it was a quick and easy batter to mix up. I especially appreciate the weight measurements for ingredients as I prefer to bake with weight measurements (and it’s so much easier when baking with kids too). I used mini chocolate chips instead of nuts in the bread & omitted the frosting this time. A keeper for sure!

Carolinaposted April 8, 2015 at 11:11 am

Hey, Sally! I’m making this banan bread for my son’s 3rd birthday party, but I’m using 5×2 loaf pans. Can you help me with baking time? And when should I cover it? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on April 8th, 2015 at 11:34 am

Hi Carolina, I’m unsure exactly. 30-35 minutes maybe? No need to cover them unless you notice the tops browning too quickly.

• Carolinareplied on April 8th, 2015 at 11:45 am

Thanks! :)

Sarahposted June 1, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Made this before and loved it. Made it again and increased yogurt to 1/2 cup and added 1 cup of oats. The pecans were sugar cinnamon glazed. It turned out so yummy. I made them into muffins as well. Baked for 25 min.

kristinposted June 26, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I was wondering if I could make this into muffins instead of a loaf? Maybe cut down on the bake time? Also, can I frost the muffins ahead of time? I wanted this to be a gift. Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on June 26th, 2015 at 6:21 pm

You can make this bread into cream cheese frosted muffins, yes! The muffins will take around 20 minutes give or take.

Sally Broganposted July 25, 2015 at 11:17 pm

I have the reputation of being the person to ask to bake banana bread…if you want bricks to build a building.  I kid you not.  I have never ever made a decent banana bread…until today!  Yay!  My husband is sitting in the other room raving about this banana bread.

I followed the instructions exactly and it turned out amazing!!!

Yum and thanks for the awesome recipe!!

Vanessaposted August 1, 2015 at 2:45 am

i tried this yesterday and it was so easy to make but so delicious !! it was my first time ever making a banana bread and it turned out perfect,so happy about it!! i love your recipes i tried so many already and every recipe was a success especially the carrot cake !! Everybody loved that <3

Shengposted August 20, 2015 at 8:56 pm

ive been an avid follower since the day i came across your website. I started baking because of you. I am a banana bread lover. I have a banana bread recipe which i got a long time ago. And when i compared it to yours, we have the same. I started selling my banana breads, and it is starting to pick up now. So i want to thank you for sharing your knowledge in baking as well as your awesome recipes. Keep doing what you do, it blesses newbies like me.

Thanks so much!!

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2015 at 8:02 am

Thanks for the kind words Sheng!

Izzyposted September 20, 2015 at 9:51 am

Hi, Sally! LOVE this recipe. I also added a tablespoon or two of greek yogurt to the frosting and it was AMAZING! The bread was so good, too. Thanks, I’ll definitely be making this recipe again!

Shilohposted September 24, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Just WOW! You were serious when you said Best Ever! This is by far the best ever banana bread recipe I have made…can’t wait to make it again!