Detox Smoothie.

My favorite “eat clean” detox smoothie. Rejuvenating, full of vitamins, fruits, protein packed yogurt, and spinach.  It does not taste like vegetables!

My favorite "eat clean" detox smoothie. Rejuvenating, full of vitamins, fruits, protein packed yogurt, and spinach.  It does not taste like vegetables!

I just got back from a girls weekend at the beach!  It was such a blast celebrating my friend Nina’s bachelorette. There were 20 of us in a gorgeous house (that had TWO kitchens!) in Dewey Beach, DE.  Beautiful sunny weather, dancing, cocktails, loud music, and a lot more dancing.

Back to reality today!

Today I’m sharing a smoothie recipe that I make all of the time. It’s my go-to smoothie that I whip up after a sweaty workout or a few days of too much sugar and greasy food.  Packed with summer fruits, yogurt, and a handful of spinach to get my veggies in.

And no, this smoothie does NOT taste like spinach. You can’t taste the green veggie at all.

I call it my detox smoothie.  Nourishing, neutralizing, detoxifying, and antioxidant-packed.  It’s my favorite way to give my body a break from chemicals and preservatives.  And it’s even tastier than it looks, I promise. :)

The recipe is very forgiving. I like to mix and match different fruits that I have on hand like peaches, mangoes, pineapples, and blueberries.  Sometimes I use spinach, sometimes I use kale. Today’s vibrant green smoothie is made from frozen banana, Greek yogurt, almond milk, spinach, peach, pineapple, and a squirt of fresh lime juice.  The frozen banana and Greek yogurt make it infinitely creamy.  The spinach adds nutrients and volume without affecting the taste.  The fruits add flavor and the almond milk makes everything nice and smooth in your blender.

Why I love adding spinach to my smoothies:

Low calorie, nutrient dense, readily available, loaded with flavonoids, heart-healthy, anti-inflammatory, excellent source of Vitamin K, Vitamin A, magnesium, folate, iron, and about 1 million other things.

Sometimes I like to add fresh peeled ginger (to taste) if I have it on hand. Other times I add 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 small chopped and peeled cucumber.

Kevin, who thinks drinking a green smoothie is totally weird, LOVES these smoothies.  I usually have to make a second detox smoothie if he’s around. Because he likes to drink all of mine.

And let me repeat myself one more time – NO, this smoothie does not taste like vegetables! It tastes like fruit. Pineapple, peachy, banana, with a zesty kick of lime.  One of these babies will leave you feeling refreshed, give you high energy, and ready to take on the day!

Colorful straws are c/o Sweets and Treats Boutique.

Detox Smoothie

Makes 1 large smoothie. Feel free to replace peach and pineapple with different fruits like mangoes, blueberries, or strawberries. Use kale instead of spinach and/or add 1 small peeled and chopped cucumber. Mix and match with your favorites. Add protein powder if desired. Add peeled fresh ginger or fresh lemon juice to taste, if desired. Smoothie is *gluten free.*

• 1 frozen sliced very ripe banana, previously peeled & sliced
  • 1/4 cup almond milk (or your choice of milk)
  • 1 and 1/4 cups chopped pineapple
  • 1 peach, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (or regular yogurt - plain or flavor of your choice)
  • 1 - 2 cups fresh spinach
  • Juice + zest of 1 lime, optional (provides great flavor)

1. Blend the frozen banana chunks and milk together until thick, creamy, and smooth - about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
  2. Add the pineapple, peach, and yogurt. Blend until combined. Add the spinach and lime juice and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed.

So good!

Jump start eating clean with a healthy and quite delicious green smoothie!

Here are some more of my favorite ways to eat clean:

Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares (gluten free, low sugar)

Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares

Healthy Chocolate Truffles (gluten free, vegan, no refined sugar)

Brownie Truffle Energy Bites by

Skinny Strawberry Milkshakes (vegan, gluten free, no refined sugar, 3 ingredients)

Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshake

Gluten Free Fudge No-Bake Cookies (gluten free, no refined sugar)

Gluten Free Fudge No-Bake Cookies

Skinny Tropical Muffins

Skinny Tropical Muffins

3 Ingredient Chocolate Bars (no refined sugar, vegan, gluten free)

Homemade Sugarfree Chocolate Bars

See more healthy recipes.
See more gluten free.

114 Responses to “Detox Smoothie.”

Rita Underwoodposted September 1, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I am trying to lose about 40 pounds. Can you reccommend some smoothie recipies that will help me? I love smoothies and would drink them in the place of breakfast and lunch if that’s what it will take.

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2013 at 10:08 am

Hi Rita! I can certainly share the smoothie recipes I enjoy, however I cannot say whether or not they are suitable for any sort of diet plan. You can find my smoothie recipes in the drinks section of my website:

Ridaposted September 7, 2013 at 5:37 am

Hi there! I just discovered your website and I’m head-over-heels or it. i was wondering if you could do a drink recipe involving green tea?

Lydia annposted September 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I have a very old blender that won’t liquify smoothies properly, leaving chunks of apples and other fruit. I’m looking to buy a new one. I was hoping you could let me know what type blender you use or if you know of any reliable blenders on the market right now

• Sallyreplied on September 27th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Hi Lydia- I strongly suggest you look into a Nonja blender. The one I have is so inexpensive for its premium quality. Plus, it doubles as a good processor.

• Lydia annreplied on December 15th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Thank you for the recommendation Sally :) I intend to buy myself a new one for Christmas! I just found the link to your amazon store though and I have a question. You recommended the the QB900B master prep, but i noticed another one on the page called the “ninja BL660”. I’m tore between the two trying to decide which one would be a better purchase. Is the BL660 a good blender for smoothies as well? do you find yourself using one more than the other?

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Hey Lydia! I have both blenders. I prefer the cheaper one, actually. The QB900B master prep. It doubles as a handy food processor and is much smaller and can fit easily into my small cabinets. Both are great for smoothies though!

Lydiaposted January 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm

OMG I love this website I found it a while back with one of your chocolate-peanut butter cupcakes (which were amazing I made like 4 batches) lately I have been looking for a really tasty super protein packed smoothie and this looks fabulous I cant wait to try this I also cant wait to try many other things on your website keep up the good work!

Nicoleposted March 18, 2014 at 2:36 pm

You’re photos are absolutely AMAZING!!

Dave Whilockposted April 12, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I really like detox smoothies, and you make them look even better in the pictures!
    Thanks for this recipe, I’ll definitely give this a try

Karenposted July 15, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Sally, I have not commented in eons (or even baked), but I want you to know that you continue to be a ray of sunshine in my life! I invested in a Vitamix last week and I instantly came here to pick something to break it in. I made this recipe, using half spinach and half kale, and it tastes SO GOOD. What an amazing way to up your fruit and veggie intake… I was honestly anxious to have my second one a few hours later. Thank you for the delicious recipe! You are my favorite (and sparkliest and sprinkliest) baker! :) Hugs and blessings to you!

• Sallyreplied on July 16th, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Thanks Karen. I love reading your comments, even though it’s been awhile. I love this detox smoothie! I haven’t made it in a few months. Thanks for reminding me how good it is. Enjoy your new Vitamix! I just got one too :)

Annaposted August 19, 2014 at 12:24 pm

This is so good!! I make a lot of juices/smoothies with veggie fruit combos and this recipe called my name, but I was a little skeptical about the “detox” aspect. But I have to say this is a really refreshing and energizing drink! I think it’s the lime zest that really gives it the kick. But I do feel great after drinking it and will be putting this recipe in my rotation. Thanks for another great recipe!!

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2014 at 2:07 pm

The lime zest is my favorite part. So glad you enjoy this smoothie recipe Anna!

Loriposted August 27, 2014 at 9:23 am

Hi Sally-
    I have been in a breakfast rut for a while now- yogurt /fruit or oatmeal are my go tos. Made this today and looks like I am out of my rut!! Delicious!!!! I’m also pregnant and have been struggling to get my veggies in lately so this is great.
    I cannot get over how big it is too. So filling. Thanks for all the great recipes. And good luck in the last few weeks before wedding. Love reading about your journey.

Ashleyposted September 1, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Sally, this definitely sounds delicious. I am goimg to try it out for my husband and I in the morning. is it possible to make it the night before so it is ready to go for the next morning?

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2014 at 5:14 pm

I don’t suggest the night before; a smoothies’ texture and taste is best fresh. It only takes a few minutes to blend.

Meganposted September 12, 2014 at 3:12 pm

This is a detox smoothie…so what does it actually do to the body? I use some of these ingredients in my smoothies already so I’m just trying to understand how this is different and what are the benefits. Would love to introduce it to my family but I wanna give them a good explanation.

• Sallyreplied on September 12th, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Hi Megan! This smoothie is great to kickstart a healthy day or after a few days of overindulging – so many super foods including spinach and protein packed greek yogurt. As suggested in the recipe, sometimes I add a little ginger, which has direct anti-inflammatory effects on our systems and is wonderful for “cleaning out the system” if you know what I mean. Here’s another great detox/super foods smoothie of mine:

Melissaposted September 13, 2014 at 9:30 am

Do you usually make these with plain yogurt or flavored yogurt? And can these be a meal supplement?

Lexieposted December 28, 2014 at 12:21 pm

do you mind posting the nutrition information for us calorie counters because I love the smoothies but eager to know their calories!

Rebeccaposted January 5, 2015 at 1:42 am

Hi Sally, I wanted to share with you an ingredient that I found to work as a replacement for my love of all things sherbert in a smoothie. Kefir! Plain, blueberry, strawberry, whatever Kefir. This has replaced my greek yogurt and for me gives it that indulgent icy texture. Bonus is that it lasts for an amazing amount of time in the fridge after it’s opened! Thanks again for all of your recipes, (especially the jumbo raspberry chocolate chip muffins).

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2015 at 8:47 am

Wonderful Rebecca! I’ll have to try it.

Andreaposted March 10, 2015 at 7:15 am

Hi sally, this was asked before but not answered. Do you use plain Greek yogurt, or flavored? Thanks in advance. I’m loving all the recipes. I have an acquaintance who has to eat gluten free, not by choice, she does do a lot of baking. So I always keep a look out for gluten free stuff to make for her.

• Andreareplied on March 10th, 2015 at 7:16 am

does not do a lot of baking**

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2015 at 10:50 am

Personally, I always use plain.

Caitposted June 23, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Hello! All I have on hand is frozen chopped spinach, wondering if this is an alright substitute for fresh spinach?

cindiposted September 10, 2015 at 10:13 am

I just finished making your detox smoothie. I used the frozen banana, peach greek yogurt, soy milk, a whole peach (small) and kale with a splash of orange juice (no from concentrate). It’s not bad but I definitely can taste the kale. It’s not real over pouring but after a sip it’s the kale flavor that is left in your mouth. Next time I am going to try spinach.

Cesiliaposted September 17, 2015 at 11:58 pm

LOVE THE SMOOTHIE! And that says something because I hate vegetables lol I do however have a question. When are you suppose to actually drink it? Before or after meal?