Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting.

A creamy, thick, protein-packed frosting to use on top of all your favorite healthy (or not-so-healthy) treats.

Skinny Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting at

Good morning! How was your Labor Day? I spent the weekend in Chicago with my best friend Marie and her sisters, celebrating her sister Kathleen’s bachelorette party. We ate cupcakes, deep dish pizza, sushi, tapas, Garrett’s famous caramel corn, apple pie, cinnamon rolls, and more.  We drank beer, sipped wine, and had a few more beers. Let’s just say – I think I’ll be full for the next few days…

I’m back home in Baltimore and it is back to reality!

Ok, has it really been over a month since my last peanut butter recipe? I am ashamed, my friends.  Let’s fix that with a peanut butter treat that can be eaten all the time with ANYTHING you please.

Did you know that frosting can actually be… healthy?  Yeah – frosting.  I made this frosting last week when I had an abundance of Greek yogurt in my refrigerator that I wanted to eat up before leaving for vacation.  I spread the frosting onto a batch of Skinny Double Chocolate Chip Muffins.

Skinny Double Chocolate Chip Muffins

You guys LOVE these muffins as much as I do.  They have been wildly popular on my website since I posted them a few months ago. Made from egg whites, yogurt, whole wheat flour, applesauce, cocoa powder, honey, and not much else. And they don’t even taste healthy, which is why we love them so much.

I usually always have a bunch of these skinny chocolate muffins in my freezer. I make a batch, eat what I can, and freeze the rest. They’re good for up to 3 months. A quick nuke in the microwave and you have yourself a melty chocolate muffin with half the guilt.  By the way, when I say “muffin” – I really mean cupcakes. These lightened up chocolate muffins are really just cupcakes without frosting. That is, until I frosted them with healthy Greek yogurt frosting…

Skinny Chocolate Cupcakes - no butter, no oil, and made with yogurt. Ready to be frosted!

Skinny Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting at

skinny chocolate muffins + skinny peanut butter frosting = Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Amazing Cupcakes

Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting - creamy, thick, healthy, protein-packed

Let’s talk about this creamy, dreamy frosting. It’s made from protein-packed Greek yogurt, peanut butter, a touch of maple syrup for sweetness, vanilla extract, and a bit of cream cheese.  For my batch, I used 0% plain Chobani and reduced fat cream cheese.

Substitutions? You could use vanilla Greek yogurt (nonfat or low fat) or even honey flavored. Mmm sort of like a honey-roasted peanut butter frosting. You could use full fat instead of the low fat option I used.  And for sweetening the frosting? Honey, agave, stevia, sugar or whatever sweetener you please can be used instead of maple syrup. Almond butter, honey-roasted peanut butter, cookie butter, or even Nutella would be fabulous substitutions for the regular peanut butter as well.

Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting-3

My Greek yogurt frosting certainly doesn’t taste like buttercream. If you can make a healthy frosting taste like real buttercream, you’re my new best friend. But this peanut butter frosting is amazing nonetheless.  It’s not overly sweet and has just the right amount of peanut butter flavor. The cream cheese is hardly noticeable; I use it for thickening purposes rather than for flavor.

Some other ideas for the frosting:

1) Use it as a protein-packed dip.  Dip apples, bananas, pretzels, apple chips, graham crackers, celery, carrots, pita chips, and more. It makes a healthy after school/mid-workday snack.

2) Frost it onto treats like these healthy banana muffins, peanut butter oatmeal bars, breakfast cookies, toasted homemade honey-oat bread, healthy pumpkin bars, or sugar-free chocolate bars.

3) Eat it with a spoon. Why not?

Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting - creamy, thick, healthy, protein-packed

Look how thick it is!

Skinny Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting at

So now you know what I’ll be eating this week as I recover from a weekend full of treats. Detoxing with frosting.

Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 1 and 1/2 cups

• 8 oz Chobani Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla, nonfat or low fat)*
  • 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2 Tablespoons cream cheese (low fat or full fat)
  • 2 Tablespoons maple syrup (see above for substitutions)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 batch Skinny Double Chocolate Chip Muffins (optional)

Add Greek yogurt and peanut butter to a medium bowl.  Beat on medium speed for 1 minute until combined. Add the cream cheese and maple syrup, beat for 2 minutes until combined and creamy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Taste the frosting and add more maple syrup if desired.

Use as a frosting, dip, or enjoy it plain. Cover frosting tightly and store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.

*If you do not use Chobani, make sure the Greek yogurt you are using is very, very thick. Or your frosting will be thin. I also like Fage brand.

Try my Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes next!

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Cupcakes-9

117 Responses to “Peanut Butter Greek Yogurt Frosting.”

Alyseposted October 16, 2013 at 10:45 am

hi Sally ! so I am new fan of your absoutely delish blog. It was a slow day at work when I stumbled across your site and I have visited it every day since! I am writing down and trying so many of your creative recipes ! Just want to thank ya for the inspiration and my boyfriend loves this baking kick on I’m on( so he thanks you too).

p.s. love the stories with every recipe :)

• Sallyreplied on October 16th, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Hi Alyse! I am so glad that you are loving my my blog. When I’m particularly bored, I could get lost on blogs and Pinterest, basically anything related to cookies :) Let me know any recipes you try! I love hearing about it.

Jennica Garciaposted December 27, 2013 at 2:01 am

Hello! This may sound weird to you but I am planning to use this frosting for my Pet Bakery. I just have to remove the vanilla extract and maple syrup. I am from the Philippines and I was just wondering if this would work without the cream cheese as well? How long can I keep it when refrigerated and when not refrigerated?

• Sallyreplied on December 27th, 2013 at 3:26 pm

No weird at all! The cream cheese is really more for texture. You could leave it out, but the frosting will have the consistency of yogurt. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It must always be stored in the refrigerator.

Graceposted January 6, 2014 at 4:39 pm

This is such a great idea! Thanks for posting this! Question about storage though: if I frost cupcakes with this frosting, would I be able to leave the cupcakes out at all? Or would they have to be stored in the fridge?

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Hey Grace! I store them in the fridge after frosting. They’re good for about 2 days that way.

Danielleposted March 3, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Love the sound of this!! The only thing I don’t have on hand is the cream cheese. Is there anything else that could be substituted to thicken? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on March 4th, 2014 at 9:25 am

Unfortunately no, you need the cream cheese to give the frosting structure and a slight taste. Or else it will just taste like peanut butter flavored yogurt! Which, umm, still sounds good to me!

Kaitposted April 26, 2014 at 10:10 am

this frosting is AMAZINGGGG.

i used it on top of baked banana bread donuts w/ a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips.

i may have also had a lick or two straight from the bowl and maybe even the beaters…

will definitely be using it over and over and cant wait to use it as fruit dip with the leftovers!

Elisabethposted June 8, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I was really excited to try this recipe! I’m having some trouble though getting a good consistency, I used the cream cheese and nice cold yogurt and peanut butter but it’s still pretty soupy. It’s currently sitting in the fridge hoping to thicken up a bit before whipping…any other suggestions?

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Is your peanut butter runny at all? And I know some greek yogurt are thinner than others. If you find it is still thin, maybe some extra cream cheese will help.

• Elisabethreplied on June 8th, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Thanks! It seemed to thicken up a little in the fridge. I’m using natural peanut butter so it’s pretty thick but might be oiler than others. It does have a great cream cheese frosting flavor though!! Works great when I dip the muffins in :)

Harshadaposted November 14, 2014 at 1:48 am

great recipe! Do you think this frosting could be piped on cupcakes?

• Sallyreplied on November 14th, 2014 at 7:41 am

it’s much too thin

Sébastien @ Un Cupcake, l'Addition !posted November 20, 2014 at 9:04 am

I love it ! And what I love best is that there’s no sugar. Do you reckon it’s thick enough to pipe nice swirls on a Cupcake ? Thanks so much !

Geraldineposted December 6, 2014 at 11:34 am

Hi! I was thinking of using this greek yogurt frosting as a swiss roll filling, would that work? Also, by not having any icing sugar in this recipe, does the frosting tend to get watery or not hold its structure after awhile?

• Sallyreplied on December 6th, 2014 at 12:01 pm

It holds up its structure as long as it is refrigerated– and it should work well in the swiss roll.

Alyssaposted January 6, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I love the idea but the frosting came out extremely runny. I couldn’t even use it to ice my cupcakes. Any suggestions?

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Are you using a runny peanut butter? That will change the texture of the frosting.

Cherylposted January 29, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Wow. That’s about all I can say. I made a coconut flour chocolate cake, also sweetened with maple syrup, and wanted a frosting that was delicious w/o being loaded with sugar. My daughter asked for a peanut butter cream cheese frosting. An internet search brought me to your page. I have to say, they made quite a pair! I haven’t had a chance yet, but I’m definitely going to take a look around at your blog! Thanks for the great ideas!

Amandaposted January 30, 2015 at 11:27 am

Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me how much the peanut butter Greek yogurt frosting makes? Approximately – I have to balance my daughter’s meals – carbs, protein & fats have to be at a certain ratio – just trying to get a grasp on how much of this to use on her chocolate coconut flour donuts :)

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Around 1 and 1/2 cups

Kimposted March 12, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Thanks for the recipe! Just made it with honey instead of maple syrup. The cream cheese made the frosting super lumpy. Has this ever happened to you?
    Perhaps it’s because one tbsp of the cream cheese was the last bit of one package (so it was a little harder than a new cream cheese). Or because I hand mixed it? I always hand mix things and never have lumps like this.

• Sallyreplied on March 13th, 2015 at 11:30 am

Kim, I definitely suggest a mixer. The lumps aren’t blending because the yogurt is smooth and cold and the cream cheese is thicker. If you can’t get ahold of a mixer, try using room temperature cream cheese (if you aren’t already) and mix it up with a fork until it’s smooth. They add the yogurt and other ingredients. This should help!

• Kimreplied on March 28th, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Thank you so much for responding!
        I just tried it again with a mixer and still lumpy! Even after whipping it for a total f 10 minutes. I’ll try room temperature cream cheese next :)

Kamila Ostafinposted April 15, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Woooow! This is so amazing! Thanks for posting this great recipe!

Pattiposted August 6, 2015 at 5:13 pm

PB-yogurt frosting sounds awesome! I’d love to find more healthy PB recipes.

Chelle Hartposted September 5, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Hello Sally!

I’m making a chocolate layer cake, and wanted to know if this frosting would be okay to use between the layers of the cake? I want to frost the outside with a chocolate buttercream, but was hoping to find a lighter peanut butter frosting to use inside! Thank you :)

• Sallyreplied on September 7th, 2015 at 7:28 am

Chelle, this frosting would be wonderful in between layers of chocolate cake. My mouth is watering thinking of it!