Caramel Apple Turnovers.

These flaky turnovers are so easy to make. Simply stuff with homemade cinnamon apple filling and generously top with caramel sauce.

Easy Caramel Apple Turnovers - one of the easiest recipes I've made. These are a must try!

I had a bittersweet moment yesterday.  I took Jude out for his early morning walk and after 2 minutes of being in the fresh air, I had to rush back inside to change from my beloved flip-flops into my fuzzy moccasin slippers (pink, of course).  I threw a warm fleece over my lightweight t-shirt and braced the crisp air.

You guys, fall is upon us.  Sadly, that means goodbye to summer.

Jude + Slippers

Luckily, it means hello to everything here. Yum.

If you’re anything like me, you enjoy the warm flavors of fall any time of the year.  I had dreams of making today’s turnovers back in the spring but decided to wait until the weather cooled down to actually make them.  I’m kicking myself for waiting so long; these buttery, flaky turnovers are INCREDIBLE.  I mean… look at them.

Literally dripping with caramel and oozing with sweet apples. Perfectly enjoyed after a chilly morning walk. They’ll make you feel all warm and cozy inside. :)

Seriously good (and easy!) Caramel Apple Turnovers

What I love about these turnovers is how simple they are.  The hardest part is… nothing. There is nothing difficult about making today’s recipe.  It all starts with a package of thawed puff pastry.  Puff pastry is very easy to work with. In its raw form, it’s similar to pie crust. When baked – it’s magically airy, flaky, and puffy. Layers upon layers of buttery goodness.

The trick here is to thaw the puff pastry for about 2 hours. But do not let it get too warm or it will be hard to work with. An easy way to do this is to put the frozen puff pastry in the refrigerator before going to sleep. In the morning, the pastry will be thawed, but still cool.

There are typically two sheets of puff pastry in a standard box. Unfold the two sheets and lay them flat. Cut each into four squares. Spoon the filling on top, leaving about 1 inch diameter around the edges.  Fold in a triangle. Crimp edges with a fork.

Like so:

Learn how to make Caramel Apple Turnovers in less than an hour. Recipe by

The filling is made from two small peeled and chopped apples. I used 1 Granny Smith and 1 Pink Lady apple. Any variety will work.  You’ll cook down the apples with 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup sugar. The pecans are completely optional. I loved the extra texture they gave to the gooey filling, though.

I get my love of sweet pecans from my mom. (Hi mom!)

Allow the filling to cool and slightly thicken after it cooks down. I usually prepare the filling about 20 minutes before unrolling the puff pastry.

Caramel Apple Turnover filling

After you fill the puff pastry squares and fold them into triangles, brush the tops with a beaten egg and cut 2 or 3 small steam vents.  Now it’s time to bake them.  They are very quick in the oven – only about 20 minutes.  No need to flip them.

The cinnamon-y apples will leak onto the baking sheet…

…and it’s utterly amazing.

Easy Caramel Apple Turnovers

I like to eat them warm right out of the oven.  Once they are done, I drizzle each with caramel sauce.  I used the same caramel recipe from these cinnamon rolls.You could also use store bought caramel sauce or your favorite homemade caramel.  There is nothing quite like the combination of caramel and apples, especially this time of year!

If you have about an hour to spare, do yourself a favor and make these luscious turnovers. For breakfast, afternoon snack, or heck – even dessert with a huge scoop of melty vanilla ice cream. (Umm… yum.) You’ll fall in love with the pillow-y, flaky crust and the warm cinnamon-spiced apple filling tucked inside.   I can’t wait to make a few different variations!

Don’t want to use puff pastry?  Use my favorite pie crust to make individual hand-pies with this filling instead.

Caramel Apple Turnovers

Yield: 8 large turnovers

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

Easy, buttery, and incredibly flaky turnovers stuffed with gooey cinnamon apples and generously topped with caramel sauce. My favorite way to start a cool, crisp fall morning.

• 2 small peeled & finely diced apples, any variety
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar

• 1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed1
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup caramel sauce for drizzling2

1. Make the filling. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook the apples, cornstarch, pecans, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar.  Stir constantly for 5 minutes.  Switch to low heat and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool off for 20 minutes.
  2. Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mats.
  3. Prepare the pastry: Unroll the puff pastry sheets onto a lightly floured surface. Cut each into 4 squares.  Spoon 2-3 Tablespoons of apple mixture onto the center of each square.  Fold each over into a triangle shape and crimp the edges with a fork to seal. See photo above for visual. Some apple juices may leak out.
  4. Lightly brush the top of each turnover with beaten egg.  Cut 2 or 3 small steam vents in the tops. Bake each batch for 20 minutes until golden brown.  Rotate the pan halfway through bake time to avoid uneven browning.
  5. Remove from the oven and drizzle each turnover with caramel sauce immediately before serving.  Turnovers taste best on the same day, though you can store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
  6. Make ahead tip: Unglazed, baked turnovers may be frozen up to 2 months and thawed overnight in the refrigerator, then warmed up in the oven or microwave.

1. See text above for how to appropriately thaw puff pastry for this recipe.
  2. You can use your favorite caramel sauce for the topping - store bought or homemade.

If you like today’s pastry, you’re going to flip for Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls.

Easy Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls, stuffed with brown sugar & apples and drenched in homemade caramel. Recipe by

And this Salted Caramel Apple Pie.

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Apple Spice Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

apple spice cupcakes with salted caramel frosting

Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

Cinnamon Toffee Cheesecake Dip

Toffee Cheesecake Dip for Apples

Who else is ready for fall?

These apple turnovers are SO simple. Made with homemade warm apple filling and incredible caramel sauce on top!

128 Responses to “Caramel Apple Turnovers.”

laurasmessposted September 12, 2013 at 6:07 am

Caramel and apple is such a winning combination! These look so gorgeous (as do your fluffy slippers, so happy and warm!). It’s weird to be reading all the American posts about Fall at the moment. For us in Australia, Spring is in the air and I’m loving the transition to sunny days, warmth and new growth on the trees. Despite it not being Fall, I do think it’s still totally acceptable for me to get in the apple and caramel mood. These are calling my name! xx

• Sallyreplied on September 12th, 2013 at 8:52 am

Laura, I can imagine it must be weird to read American food blogs right now – or even in your chilly days when it’s our summer! Apple and caramel are acceptable any time of year, of course. 😉

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted September 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm

OMG so many apple recipes all over the blogosphere and I want to EAT THEM ALL! These especially. Not only are they filled with apples, but covered in caramel!! Excuse me while I faint from apple-overload. 😉

• Sallyreplied on September 12th, 2013 at 7:06 pm

There are so many things I want to bake this apple season. Too many ideas swirling in my head! Apple-overload indeed. :)

Amandaposted September 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I made these today and they were a total hit!

• Sallyreplied on September 12th, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Woohoo! That’s great Amanda – thanks for reporting back!

• Amandareplied on September 12th, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for the great recipe. I love your blog an dim glad I can support a fellow greyhound.

• Sallyreplied on September 13th, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Go hounds! 😉

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted September 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm

PERFECT Fall treat – we finally had our first “cool” day at 85 degrees. Gah! I’m ready for brisk air and sweaters – and these turnovers!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebelposted September 12, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I’ve been over summer all summer long– bring on the fall! Swooning over these turnovers!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted September 14, 2013 at 1:56 am

Amazing! This definitely screams out fall. And that drizzle?! SWOON!

Phoebe Lepageposted September 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

These look so ridiculously good!!!!! These are on my to-bake list. And Jude is so cute!!!

• Sallyreplied on September 19th, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Thanks Phoebe! And they’re so easy. Jude says thanks too 😉

Elizabeth Beardposted September 20, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I love apple pie and anything like,! I was just wondering if the filling itself could be made a night before baking the turnovers,?

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2013 at 4:39 pm

It sure can! I’ve done that before to save time. You can keep it in the refrigerator.

Mary Bethposted September 26, 2013 at 1:19 pm

ohhh Sally. This filling is divine!! I used a different crust recipe (don’t have puff pastry where I live and I didn’t have shortening in the house) and the turnover came out great. But this filling, ohhhhhhh amazing!!

• Mary Bethreplied on September 26th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

sorry, i was caught up in the deliciousness and forgot to tell you that i used 1 granny smith apple and 1 medium-sized banana instead of 2 apples. very good combination!

• Sallyreplied on September 26th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

That sounds delicious, Mary Beth! I’m glad your dough recipe worked well instead of the puff pastry. :)

JoAnnposted September 28, 2013 at 8:13 pm

These look absolutely yummy! I looked over the recipe a couple of times as well as other posts, but I don’t see the temperature for baking. I assume it is bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Is that correct? I really want to make some as we are getting chilly here and I have been searching apple recipes today.

Thank you! I, too, love your moccasins. :)

• Sallyreplied on September 29th, 2013 at 11:43 am

Hi JoAnn- the recipe states 400F degrees. Enjoy!!

Bouillon de Notesposted October 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

What a sweet delicious variation for pleasure, thank you, the week-end will be good:)

Jolieposted October 29, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe! I just discovered your blog, and I’m so happy I did! I made these turnovers over the weekend and my family went nuts for them! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

• Sallyreplied on October 29th, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Hi Jolie! I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed these turnovers. Aren’t they easy? Let me know what you make next!

Kellyposted November 10, 2013 at 11:15 am

This was the first recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction that I have made (I made them yesterday), and they were a HUGE hit! I received many “ooohs” and “aaahs”. And they were SO EASY to make! (but I didn’t tell anyone… that will remain my little secret). I also made the caramel sauce, which I have heard is a very tricky process, but I followed the instructions and timing exactly as the recipe said, and it was some of the best caramel I’ve ever had. Thanks so much for this recipe! I will for sure be making this one again.

• Sallyreplied on November 10th, 2013 at 11:18 am

Kelly, thank you. I really appreciate you reporting back! And that you loved my recipe. Yes, they’re so easy!

Kristinposted January 21, 2014 at 10:37 am

Do you have a preference of pastry puff that you use? Have you ever made homemade pastry puff? If you have- I’d love the recipe! And if you haven’t you should! Making these right now… can’t wait to try them! I want to eat the apple filling out of the pan it smells amazing.

• Sallyreplied on January 21st, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Hey Kristin! Yes, here is my homemade danish pastry recipe. I typically use it for pastry braids, though it would work wonderfully as a homemade alternative here:

• Kristinreplied on January 23rd, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I’m going to try to make the pastry myself next time, thanks! And these came out amazing! It’s tough to eat just one

Hannahposted September 22, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Made with apples from our apple tree..turned out DELICIOUS <3

deenposted October 10, 2014 at 3:15 am

Hi Sally when you say granulated sugar is that the same as caster sugar,I will be trying these soon

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Caster sugar is the same as granulated sugar, but it has been reduced to a finer grain. In this recipe, however, you may use caster.

Reneaposted April 1, 2015 at 8:58 pm

I made these and they were a hit with everyone. I do have one question though. How do you get them to stay flaky overnight? I used the frozen puff pastry and the next day they were a little flat and not flaky.

Kaylaposted May 15, 2015 at 12:23 am

I live in korea where there is no puff pastry
    Could you try to make a homemade puff pastry recipe?
    Not a danish pastry.
    People like me who live in places that dont have puff pastry could use it.
    Please try!

Jenniferposted November 24, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Hey Sally,

I have made these and they are by far – THE BEST dessert I have ever eaten. Not just made, but out of any dessert I have eaten – EVER. I love them so much, it’s a little obsessive.

Anyway, I was wondering if you thought it could be possible to combine the filling in your turnovers to be made in your apple pie recipe? There might be some chemistry that I’m missing… but the filling is THAT good. I kind of want to put it in everything.

Keep being amazing Sally!

• Sallyreplied on November 25th, 2015 at 6:15 am

Jennifer– I’m SO happy you love this turnovers so much! I love them too, but it’s been some time since I made them! For the potential pie– this won’t nearly be enough to fill a pie. I would double the recipe, but keep the sugar around 2/3 cup (it would be WAY too sweet with 1 whole cup). Increase cornstarch to 1 Tbsp instead of 2 tsp. Even then, you might not have enough filling. Maybe add an extra apple too.