Favorite Homemade Hummus with Spiced Pita Chips.

Homemade Hummus with Crunchy Spiced Pita Chips. This is my favorite (super simple) homemade hummus recipe, you will make it time and time again!

I wish I could tell you that I shared most of this hummus with Kevin, but that would be a lie. In fact, every single time I make this hummus (which is on a weekly basis, I kid you not) – I seem to hoard it all myself. We put on a movie and I miss the first 20 minutes because I’m too busy with all of this hummus business. For the record, the 2 Tablespoon “suggested serving size” of hummus is one of life’s unsolved mysteries.

So, I know what you’re thinking. A hummus recipe – how boring! But no. This classic hummus recipe is anything but. It’s ultra thick, ultra creamy, and simply incredible on top of spiced whole wheat pita chips. The crunchy pita chips? Yes, another snack I make on the regular. We’re snackaholics, if you haven’t realized.

Ditch the store-bought, these homemade spiced crunchy baked pita chips are so much better! And so easy.

If you’ve never made hummus at home, I urge you to try.

Stop spending $5 per container claiming to have 8 servings and make your own. Serve it with your favorite veggies, crunchy pita chips flavored with garlic and lemon pepper, and then… prepare to be amazed.  You can thank me later.

Let’s start with the pita chips.

How to make Spiced Pita Chips

Pick up some whole wheat pitas from the store. I wish I could tell you that I made pitas from scratch, but I didn’t. Sunday was filled with reorganizing my life and homemade pitas were not on the agenda.

Cut the pitas into 8 slices each, brush with some olive oil and your favorite spices. My spice suggestions? A combination of lemon pepper and garlic powder. I’ll give you some other suggestions in the recipe below. We loved this garlic peppery combination on our crunchy pita chips.

Bake the seasoned pita chips for about 10 minutes until crispy and browned. Easy, right? It will take you no more than 20 minutes.

Ultra Creamy Hummus - this is my favorite!

Now it’s time to make the hummus. It’s taken some time to truly perfect the recipe. A little more tahini, a little less lemon, a little more olive oil, less spice, etc.

A few hummus notes:

(how weird does “hummus notes” sound?)

• Do not leave out the tahini. This is a very common hummus ingredient – it’s sesame seed paste and can be found at all major grocery stores.
  • Add more crushed red pepper for some more heat.
  • If you’re using unsalted chickpeas, you may need more salt.

You’re going to love it. It’s the thickest, creamiest hummus I’ve ever had. A good thing to note: you’ll have to stop and start the food processor a few times to get things moving. Reserving some chickpea liquid (or water if not using canned chickpeas), will help. Keep in mind that the more extra liquid you add, the thinner your hummus will be.

Here is the blender/food processor I have. This Ninja Master Prep comes with a large container for blending drinks, and a smaller container I use for food processing. I make hummus and all of my nut butters in the smaller container.

Spoon the hummus into a pretty bowl and drizzle with olive oil, a sprinkle of spice, and top with few more chickpeas. There! You’ve got yourself one healthy, gourmet snack for book club night, movie night, dinner party appetizer, or a Friday night dinner. Yes, hummus and spiced pita chips can absolutely be called dinner in case you are questioning that. Maybe a little crab pretzel action on the side?

I won’t judge you.

Favorite Homemade Hummus with Spiced Pita Chips

Yield: 2 cups hummus, enough pita chips for 4

Total Time: 30 minutes

Thick and creamy homemade hummus with spiced whole wheat pita chips. This is a classic hummus recipe that you will make time and time again! Makes a perfect spread for sandwiches and wraps too.

Spiced Pita Chips

• 4 whole wheat pitas (or pita pockets)
  • 3 Tablespoons (44ml) olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • sea salt, to taste

• 2 cups (520g) cooked chickpeas (canned is fine, reserve 1/4 cup liquid)
  • 1 garlic clove (I always roast mine, but that's optional)
  • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
  • 1/4 cup (60g) tahini
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) reserved chickpea liquid or water
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • optional: sprinkle of crushed red pepper
  • sea salt, to taste

1. For the pita chips: Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. Cut each pita into 8 triangles and arrange on the baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, garlic powder, and lemon pepper together until combined. Brush each pita triangle with mixture. Flip each pita triangle over and brush the other side. Give them a light sprinkle of sea salt.
  3. Bake pita triangles for 10 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Allow to cool as you prepare the hummus.
  4. For the hummus: Place all ingredients into your food processor (except for the salt) and process until the smooth and creamy. You may need to stop and start a few times to get things moving. Add the salt gradually until the hummus reaches your taste. I did not add any salt because my chickpeas were already salted. Add more olive oil and/or reserved chickpea liquid to thin out if desired. Add more seasonings to suit your taste.
  5. Spoon the hummus into a bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil, a sprinkle of lemon pepper, and a couple additional chickpeas if desired. Serve with spiced pita chips and fresh veggies. Cover tightly and store up to 4 days in the refrigerator.

White flour pitas instead of whole wheat are OK.

Try adding smoked paprika, cumin, sesame seeds, or dried basil to the pita chips and/or the hummus.

Instead fresh garlic in the hummus, use garlic powder. Add a little at a time to suit your taste.

Sometimes I add a couple drops of hot sauce because Kevin likes a little spice, that's optional.

More snackoholic options:

Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

Peanut Butter Caramel Corn

Baked Crispy Onion Rings

How to Make Crispy Baked Onion Rings

Mom’s Seasoned Pretzels

Seasoned Pretzels. An easy, addicting salty snack everyone will love. Recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

Skinny Snickerdoodle Cookie Dough Dip

Skinny Snickerdoodle Dip

Homemade Almond Butter

How I Make Homemade Almond Butter. No added oils, sugars, and completely healthy.

118 Responses to “Favorite Homemade Hummus with Spiced Pita Chips.”

Gingerposted January 17, 2014 at 9:54 pm

When you say don’t leave out the Tahini, do you mean refrigerate it prior to opening and using?

• Sallyreplied on January 18th, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hey Ginger! No, I mean do not exclude it from the recipe. Sorry for the confusion.

Sanamposted January 19, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Oh, this looks absolutely amazing. I love the spicy addition!

Alainaposted January 19, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Do you think it would be possible to freeze portions of this recipe? Then I could make a large batch and have it more readily available!

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2014 at 8:52 am

Alaina, I do not recommend freezing hummus. The pita chips would stay fresh for a couple weeks though.

• Alainareplied on February 4th, 2014 at 12:27 am

I did end up freezing a bit of this , and it still tasted fantastic in my opinion. It seperated a little, but a good stir did the trick!
        Now you just need to come out with a savoury cookbook as well as a dessert one!

Lexieposted January 23, 2014 at 6:57 pm

So I made this homemade hummus yesterday–it was a snow day, I was bored, hummus is wonderful, etc. etc.–and I warned my family that, though there was a good amount of it, they should probably eat it within the next week or so, since it doesn’t have the same kind of shelf life as store-bought.

A few minutes ago I was searching for it, thinking I’d have a snack, and I found the container on the dairy counter. Empty. Needless to say my family approves of this recipe.

(also, side note, garlic-infused olive oil is WONDERFUL in this. might use lemon-infused next time.)

• Sallyreplied on January 24th, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Haha! I’m so glad your family approves. I gotta try it with garlic infused olive oil Lexie! Great suggestion.

Nutmeg Nannyposted January 29, 2014 at 1:03 pm

YUM!!! This looks fantastic :) I am loving the sound of the spiced pita chips too!

Laura Kposted February 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

This hummus is sooo fantastic! I’ve had it bookmarked for awhile and finally made it and the flavour/texture is amazing! I was also surprised at the amount I got from the recipe- I may never buy store-bought hummus again! Thanks for helping satisfy another snack-attack :)

• Sallyreplied on February 14th, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Wonderful to read, Laura! So happy this hummus is a keeper for you. I just made another batch this afternoon!

Susanposted April 30, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I just made this hummus and cannot stop eating it! I’ve been looking for a good homemade hummus recipe, and this is definitely a keeper – much better than the other ones I’ve tried. Takes great with pretzels too!

Stephanieposted May 24, 2014 at 10:46 am

I wanted to let you know – I absolutely love these pita chips! I make my own pits because of how expensive the store bought ones are in the country I’m in, and they turn out soooo good baked as chips! There aren’t a lot of inexpensive snacks here on the island and I eat these like I haven’t eaten in months! Also, I made 48 pitas worth of pita chips for a catering event last month and they were a huge hit. I served them with hummus and tomato salsa (: definitely a success. Thanks for your great recipe! (p.s. I got your cookbook while I was visiting the states a couple weeks ago – so excited to try the recipes!!!)

• Sallyreplied on May 25th, 2014 at 8:02 am

Thanks Stephanie! I hope you love my cookbook. It means a lot to me that you picked up a copy while visiting here! I love these pita chips too. Very addicting! Thanks so much for reporting back.

Laurenposted July 29, 2014 at 2:48 pm

These pita chips are so good! I will definitely be making them again very soon (probably today even though I just had some haha). It’s such a good healthy snack option. For now I’m using store bought hummus but I guarantee you that once I buy a food processor then I’ll be making my own hummus as well.

Shareenposted August 16, 2014 at 9:41 am

A THOUSAND thank you’s for adding measurements in grams so your recipes are readable by international readers such as myself :)

and yes, your hummus recipe is THE hummus recipe to saves and keep. My friend from Lebanon swears it tastes just like her grandmothers. Now that itself says a lot, right?

Shareen and Ella in Sweden.

Nancy Mockposted August 26, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I made these pita chips tonight and they came out great! I’m really excited to be able to make these at home instead of buying the bagged variety. Thanks!

Juditposted September 1, 2014 at 7:22 am

I was wondering if I can substitute lemon pepper for another ingredient, where I live I can’t find it anywhere… Thanks! :)

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2014 at 9:38 am

You may leave it out and add pepper to taste.

Kristen Diasposted September 3, 2014 at 6:27 pm

This recipe was amazing!! Thick and delicious- tastes just as good as the hummus at my favourite restaurant! You have awesome recipes on your site- everything I’ve tried has been great:)

Vickyposted October 8, 2014 at 12:22 pm

This looks delicious! I’ve made the pita chips before but not hummus. Do you think I could add some roasted red peppers to this? I love them. Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Definitely! I would play around with the amount until you are satisfied with the taste and texture of your hummus. Roasted red peppers always thin the hummus out a little.

Christieposted October 10, 2014 at 6:21 pm

This looks delicious! If I am using canned chickpeas, I don’t need to cook them or anything first do I?

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Canned chickpeas are fully cooked – you do not have to do anything to them. Just drain them, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid for use in the recipe.

• Christie Fergusonreplied on October 21st, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I made this today–the hummus turned out delicious! I did have problems with the pita chips. They weren’t getting crisp–I left them in the oven for 20 min. At that point they were getting brown, so I thought they might crisp up while cooling. No such luck. They have great flavor though so I will try this again. Any suggestions?

• Sallyreplied on October 22nd, 2014 at 5:56 pm

That’s odd. Are your cut-up pitas extra thick? Perhaps a lower temperature for a longer time. Slow and low – that should help them get a little crispier.

Patposted January 23, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Just made thus hummus. OMG! Absolutely delicious. I used garlic olive oil and roasted garlic as you suggested and light on the pepper flakes due to my guest preferences. I also simmer the canned chick peas for a few minutes, let them cool and remove any skins. Thanks!

Denise Keefposted August 22, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I just made the roasted garlic hummus with the pita chips! It is so good! It was my first time making hummus and your recipe was so easy to follow! Thank you so much! :)