Cheesy Spinach Quiche.

Earlier this month, we went over Kerry’s house for brunch. My future sis-in-law is one helluva cook! She’s the brains behind this chocolate/peanut butter operation. Yes, it was amazing.

For brunch a few weeks ago, she made two quiches (one spinach, one mushroom) and overnight french toast. I have been dreaming about remaking her quiches the whole month! Also that french toast. Heaven in a casserole pan.

I couldn’t decide between her spinach quiche or mushroom quiche, so I combined them into one. One ultra cheesy, ultra savory, peppered, mushroom, spinach fiesta. I baked it all in my homemade flaky pie crust. My favorite pie crust recipe in the world.

This comforting dish will dazzle all of your brunch guests! It was the hit of Kerry’s meal, even taking the attention away from the strawberry chocolate cake she made for dessert. (All brunch must have dessert.)

So, what is quiche? Quiche is an egg and milk custard filled with all sorts of extras like cheese and veggies. Traditionally, quiches are baked in a pie crust. Any excuse I have to make my buttery, flaky pie crust – I do it.

My version uses eggs, whole milk (for an extra creamy texture), cheddar/mozzarella cheeses, parmesan cheese, frozen spinach, garlic, and mushrooms. Did I mention this quiche is extra cheesy? Just how I like my scrambled eggs.

Cheesy Spinach Quiche with Homemade Pie Crust

A good thing to know:

The key to preventing a soggy quiche is to reduce the moisture in your vegetables.

The mushrooms are cooked down with the minced garlic, salt, and pepper. The garlic gives them a little something extra. I cook the mushrooms down to rid them of their moisture. Those things are like sponges holding on dearly for water! You don’t want that.

I use frozen spinach in my quiche for ease, though fresh would be fine. But my piece of advice? Avoid the hassle and buy a block of frozen! It’s cheaper, less messy, and easier. Make sure you drain your spinach extra well. Thawed frozen spinach is full of water and you’ll want to blot it as much as you can.

When the mushrooms are cooking and the spinach is draining its liquid, whip up your egg mixture: eggs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and whole milk.

Cheesy Spinach Quiche with Homemade Pie Crust

Creamy and thick, my cheesy egg base will give your quiche the most luxurious texture. During all this time, your homemade pie crust has been chilling. Do yourself a favor and make it the night ahead of time. That’s exactly what I did on Sunday. Then, all you have to do in the morning is roll it out, pre-bake it for a few minutes and add the veggies, cheeses, and egg mixture on top.

And hey, while you’re at it – thaw the spinach and sauté the mushrooms the night before too. We all have hectic schedules, especially in the morning or while entertaining. Save time where you can!

Homemade Pie Crust by

Bake the quiche until it is golden brown on top and the center is no longer liquid. All ovens are different and this could take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour. Start checking around 40 minutes. As the quiche nears its final minutes in the oven, it will begin to puff up. Once you remove it from the oven, it will slightly deflate.

My cheesy spinach quiche took 50 minutes. I like it extra toasty on top.

Let it cool for a few minutes, then slice  serve  eat  cheesy heaven.

Simply cheese spinach quiche-- on a homemade crust, you CANNOT beat this recipe!

The best part about quiche is that the possibilities are endless!

• Use your favorite cheeses like feta, goat cheese, mozzarella, swiss.
  • For some smoky flavor, try adding some bacon crumbles.
  • You could even add some chopped onions, red peppers, artichokes, broccoli.
  • Or make it a low carb meal by baking without the pie crust.

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Cheesy Spinach Quiche

Yield: 1 9-inch quiche

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

This super cheesy spinach quiche is baked in my favorite homemade pie crust. Impress all your brunch guests with this recipe! See more cheese options in the recipe notes. Try adding some bacon crumbles or your favorite mixed veggies.

• 1/2 recipe homemade pie crust 1 (step-by-step photos included)
  • 1 (10 oz) box frozen spinach
  • 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or roasted & chopped)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup whole milk2
  • 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 cup shredded cheese(I used cheddar + mozzarella)
  • salt & pepper, to taste

1. Prepare the pie crust the night before to save yourself some time.
  2. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). If your frozen spinach is not already thawed, thaw it in the microwave per box directions. Drain the spinach in a colander while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Place sliced mushrooms in a skillet coated with 1 teaspoon olive oil or nonstick spray, add the garlic, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and sauté the mushrooms until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet, about 6-7 minutes.
  4. On a floured work surface, roll out the chilled pie dough. Turn the pie crust dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. With a small and sharp knife, trim the extra overhang of crust and discard. Using pie weights, pre-bake the pie crust for 8 minutes.
  5. While the pie crust is pre-baking, whisk together the eggs, milk, and parmesan cheese until combined. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  6. Blot and squeeze the rest of the water out of the thawed spinach. After 8 minutes, remove the pie crust from the oven and spread spinach on top. Add the cooked mushrooms and shredded cheeses. Pour the egg mixture on top. If desired, sprinkle the top lightly with more parmesan cheese and/or salt and pepper.
  7. Bake the quiche until it is golden brown on top and the center is no longer jiggly. Depending on your oven, this will take anywhere between 45 minutes - 1 hour. Mine took 50 minutes. Use a pie shield to prevent the pie crust from over browning, if desired. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. This quiche makes great leftovers! Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
  8. Make ahead tip: Baked quiche freezes very well, up to 2 months. Thaw overnight and bake at 350°F (177°C) to warm up for 20 minutes, give or take.

1. My pie crust recipe makes enough dough for two quiches. You can make half of the recipe as suggested in the ingredient list, or make the entire recipe and freeze half of the dough for another quiche, or bake two quiches. The dough can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before using.
  2. Whole milk is heavily preferred for creamiest texture, though your favorite milk may be used instead - keeping in mind the creamy texture will be compromised.
  3. Use 1 cup total of your favorite cheeses. Try to avoid using 1 whole cup of a strong tasting cheese like feta. You could do 1/2 cup cheddar, 1/2 cup feta. Or 1/3 cup goat cheese, 2/3 cup mozzarella. Or 1/2 cup swiss, 1/2 cup cheddar. Get creative!

A few more breakfast recipe ideas to wow your guests:

Giant Cinnamon Roll Cake

Giant Cinnamon Roll Cake - soft, fluffy, and extra large! Get the recipe at

Overnight French Toast Bake – don’t miss this recipe in my cookbook!

Overnight French Toast Bake in Sally's Baking Addiction Cookbook

Blueberry Sweet Rolls

Blueberry Sweet Rolls with Lemon Glaze

See more breakfast recipe ideas.

See more savory recipes.

129 Responses to “Cheesy Spinach Quiche.”

danielleposted April 22, 2014 at 10:01 am

I am hosting a brunch this weekend and going to make this! Can I make these in mini muffin pans? If so how long should I pre-bake the crust and will the total time to bake be different?

• Sallyreplied on April 22nd, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Definitely! Since I’ve never tried it, I can’t be certain how long to pre-bake the crust and bake the mini quiches.

Marinaposted May 29, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Sally, I am SO excited to write this! I’ve HATED eggs for my 25 years of life & it always bummed me out because breakfast time has always been a struggle for me. I don’t eat bacon or sausage so my mornings consisted of carbs or a smoothie. Something made me want to try this so I ran to the store this morning to buy what I needed & immediately started cooking (not something I like to do in the middle of the day when it’s 100+ degrees outside) & I am so excited to say I AM IN LOVE! Seriously, this was sooo good. I texted my husband saying I just ate an egg dish & he doesn’t believe me, LOL! Thank you for posting this! I shall love you forever & ever & ever :)

• Sallyreplied on May 30th, 2014 at 11:24 am

So happy you enjoy this quiche, Marina!

Ragna Zarrincalakiposted June 24, 2014 at 11:56 am

I had bought all the ingredients to make spinach quiche this past weekend. Then you posted your recipe. My recipe is very similar to yours……soooo yummy!!! The reason I am commenting though is to share a little trick which my very good friend, Jameelah, shared with ME recently. The only step of this recipe which I kind of dreaded is trying to squeeze all the water out of the thawed spinach. It is so messy, no matter what method I tried. Not anymore!!! Place the frozen spinach in a paper coffee filter to thaw. The block might have to be divided, depending on the size of your paper filter. I placed the filter inside of a tall mug and folded down the edge over the side to hold it in place. When the spinach had thawed I squeezed the filter in the palm of my hands, firmly but gently at the same time. The squeezed dry spinach peeled out of the filter easily without leaving ANYTHING behind. I was so excited, I called Jameelah immediately to thank her for the tip. She hadn’t even tried it herself yet. :)
    Thank you for your many great recipes! I always check out your site first.

• Sallyreplied on June 24th, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Great tip about the spinach, Ragna! Thank you so much.

Jiaposted July 1, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Hi sally!
    May I know how I should reheat the quiche after placing it in the freezer? Thanks!! (:

• Sallyreplied on July 2nd, 2014 at 7:43 am

Hi Jia! I simply let thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then heat the oven to 350 and bake for about 20 minutes or until warm all throughout.

Tamaraposted October 4, 2014 at 7:19 pm

This looks amazing, I currently have it baking in the oven-hopefully it turns out well. I just have a plain ole pie plate. I was wondering where you got the one pictured?

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Hi Tamara – I got my pie dish from William’s Sonoma. Hope you enjoyed the quiche.

Heatherposted October 12, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I don’t like mushrooms…how would you suggest adjusting the recipe if I leave the mushrooms out?

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 8:47 pm

No need to adjust – just bake as directed or replace with another vegetable (which you could sauté) like zucchini or summer squash.

• Heatherreplied on November 25th, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Thanks for the reply! I am going to try making this but want to try without the crust. Would I have to change cooking times or temperature if I leave out the crust?

Mona Tposted December 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm

All these comments and no one chided you for “discarding” the excess pie crust! Spread a little butter on it, sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar, and make pie crust cookies!

I’m going to have to try this the next time I make spinach quiche.

Emilyposted December 20, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Can you replace the parmesan in the eggs with something like monterey jack or just take it out entirely?

• Sallyreplied on December 20th, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Yes that’s fine

Lauraposted December 30, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Hi Sally! :)
    I need your help please. I just made your homemade pie crust and it is in the fridge chilling. (Nervous because I have never tried to make homemade crust before) anyway, how do you pre bake the shell to make the Quiche? I plan attempting it tonight! Many thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 30th, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Hey Laura! It’s so easy. Just roll out the crust and press it into the pie pan. Trim the edges and pre-bace as directed in the recipe.

Sashaposted January 7, 2015 at 11:02 am

I made this today with fresh spinach and broccoli, crustless, and with 2% milk. When I cut it, though, there was water on the bottom. I followed all of the directions, so was it because of the milk fat content? Thanks! Otherwise it was great.

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Do you think you used *too much* spinach and broccoli? I know too many fresh veggies prevents the eggs from solidifying properly. I don’t think the milk fat content is the issue. You can also try slightly reducing the quantity of milk.

Natalieposted January 22, 2015 at 9:22 am

Hello Sally! I found this recipe a few days ago and couldn’t wait to test it. Today I finally made it and.. wow! It was amazing.. We ate half already :) Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. This is going to be one of our family favorites.

Tappyposted February 27, 2015 at 9:27 am

Hi Sally….thanks for all the great quiche recipes. My husband are I try to eat low carb and this is perfect for us! I would love to have a quiche pan like you use here……would you share where I may purchase one?
    Many thanks!

Claireposted March 13, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Trying this out for a meatless dinner tonight! Made the entire batch of crust and will be baking a pie on the weekend! Why not?! Got to love a recipe that goes for a meal and desert!

• Sallyreplied on March 13th, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Jill L.posted March 21, 2015 at 9:17 am

Sally I make a green chile pie with and without the crust and I could eat it EVERY DAY for any meal! Green chilies, spinach, plenty of cheese, cottage cheese, eggs of course. Give it a whirl. I cheat when I make it with a crust and use a store bought pie crust sheet. 😉

• Sallyreplied on March 21st, 2015 at 10:24 am

That sounds so good. Thanks for sharing Jill!

Erinposted March 21, 2015 at 10:25 am

I made this last night, but instead of mushrooms, added broccoli and shallots along with fresh spinach. My 16 year old son ate 1/3 of it!! Another winner, Sally. So many variations to this quiche too – can’t wait to make more. Everything I’ve made so far from your site has been fantastic! I’m really enjoying your recipes!!!

carenposted March 21, 2015 at 11:40 am

I found this recipe a couple of weeks ago…LOVE IT so easy ,made it twice already

Karenposted March 22, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Hi Sally~
    I’d never actually had quiche before, but committed to making one for my small engineering office’s silly celebration of Pi Day 3-14-15. This “breakfast pie” was completely devoured by 8:30am. I prepped everything, including your homemade crust, and got it in the oven at 7am that morning. A week later, I’m making another, just for me! I’m loving your site and am excited to try more of your recipes. Just wanted to say thank you!!

• Sallyreplied on March 23rd, 2015 at 8:11 am

That’s so great Karen! Thanks for reporting back. So glad it was a MAJOR hit!

Christyposted April 8, 2015 at 12:51 pm

This is a wonderful quiche recipe! I think I will be using it as my base recipe from now on. I made this spinach quiche for Easter brunch and my family loved it. I modified the recipe slightly (added 2 eggs, used cheddar and smoked gouda) to make a cheesecheese quiche, and it was perfection! Making a broccoli cheese quiche right now. Thanks for a great recipe!

Debbieposted April 19, 2015 at 11:55 am

Would this recipe work without the crust?

• Sallyreplied on April 19th, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Valposted April 29, 2015 at 12:51 am

Hi sally, i would like to use feta cheese instead. How should I go about changing the cheese quantity ? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on April 29th, 2015 at 8:11 am

3/4 – 1 cup crumbled feta is perfect.

Naziaposted May 25, 2015 at 3:19 am

Hello Sally.

Thank you for this recipe, husband and kids absolutely love it!
    I think it will make for a perfect go-to meal on the days that I get home late from work.
    Can I assemble the Quiche and bake it in bulk? Will it freeze well?

Thank you.
    Nazia Adam-Kabir
    (South Africa)

• Sallyreplied on May 25th, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Yep! It freezes well- baked quiche freezes well up to 2 months.

Beverly Atkinsonposted August 13, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I substituted fresh beet greens for the spinach and sautéed them with the mushrooms. This was a very yummy quiche with extra sharp cheddar cheese in a prepared Pillsbury pie crust.

Kimberlyposted August 25, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Could you please tell me the calories in the  spinach mushroom quiche please.

Annposted September 15, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I love this quiche! Made it many times :) including your pie crust. Made it also once with chicken, curry spice and pineapple. The only problem I always have is that the sides of my pie fall down into the pie when I prebake. I then try to squeeze them up with a spoon again but never becomes pretty. Do you maybe have an idea why and how I can prevent this?

Amandaposted September 25, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Hi sally! just wanted to let you know that i’m fully addicted to your website! and i made this quiche with only mozzarella, and let me just say this quiche was gone in less than 12 hours!! my family devoured it!! even my sister who hates both spinach and mushrooms inhaled this quiche!! thank you so much for your recipes and sharing them with all of us!! keep up the amazing work, i can’t wait to see what you create next!

• Sallyreplied on September 26th, 2015 at 12:05 pm

So glad everyone loved this quiche! I’m not surprised it disappeared!

Natalieposted October 4, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Made this quiche this weekend for my grandma’s birthday dinner. We usually just buy one from the store, but I decided to make one homemade since she was visiting our new house for the first time. I have never made a quiche before, but this recipe was amazing! A huge hit here. My boyfriend, who usually doesn’t like quiche or eggs, actually requested it again for dinner tonight. It’s in the oven right now! Thanks for the recipe and all the great work you do on your blog. Your recipes are always a winner and I appreciate the time you put into making them so great!

abby - www.littlecityadventures.composted November 12, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I made this the other day for a brunch I had with my small group and this was literally THE BEST quiche that I have ever had. My small group said the same. It’s the perfect egg/milk/cheese ratio! Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on November 12th, 2015 at 5:10 pm