Mint Oreo Truffles.

Only 3 ingredients needed to make these mint chocolate truffles. They taste like chocolate-covered Oreo cheesecakes!

Today I’m sharing the minty version of my favorite Golden Oreo Truffles. I’m sharing these truffles again because I have a few new tips and tricks for you to make them.

Have you ever had Oreo truffles before? If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile now, you are certainly familiar with these no-bake treats. They’re nothing new, nothing revolutionary, but my god… these simple Oreo truffles are so dang good!

I like to make these minty Oreo treats in the colder months because (1) they are perfect for the holidays, springtime, St. Patty’s Day, and Easter. And (2) because the chocolate won’t melt in .5 seconds all over my fingers and then on my clothes. Yum, yes. Neat, no.

I made a batch this past weekend and brought them along with me to my book release celebrations. Since this recipe makes a ton, Kevin took the leftovers to his friends the next day. Our friends’ reactions were hilarious:

“Oh my god.”

“This is made from Oreos?!?!”

“I’m going to be fat but it’s so worth it.”

“Can you marry me instead?”

So um, if you have an hour to spare – use it to make these mint chocolate treats! One bite of their Oreo cheesecake-like texture/taste and you’ll be sold.

3 Ingredient Mint Oreo Truffles. A simple no-bake recipe favorite!

I have a couple step-by-step photos for you today. Though the recipe is quite simple, I figure it’s easier for you to just see what everything is supposed to look like as you are working your way through the directions in the recipe below.

First, start with 1 package of Cool Mint Creme Oreos. This particular flavor is common and I always spot it on the shelves next to the other flavors. You may use regular or Double Stuf Cool Mint Creme Oreos here. I’ve tried the truffles with both.

Pulse the Oreos into crumbs. The entire Oreo – the cookie and the cream center.

How to Make Oreo Truffles. Step-by-step photos on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Pulse until there are no more huge chunks. Fine crumbs, like what is pictured above. ↑

Beat the crumbs with 8 ounces of softened cream cheese in a large bowl. I’ve used light cream cheese before without any problem. Next, roll into balls. I usually do about 1.5 Tablespoons of Oreo/cream cheese mixture per truffle. The mixture is very wet, but you’ll still be able to roll into balls. Place the balls on a plate and freeze. Um, please ignore my fancy paper plate.

4 Ingredient Mint Oreo Truffles by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Why am I freezing the truffles? Great question. You want the truffles cold and solid as you dip them into chocolate. If they are room temperature or still soft, they will fall apart in your hot melted chocolate. I always freeze them for at least 30 minutes. Then, I work with one truffle at a time – remove 1 from the freezer, dip in chocolate, etc.

How I Dip Truffles Into Chocolate

There is no secret to how I dip my truffles in chocolate! It’s simple: Melt pure chocolate in a deep bowl. Drop the truffle in the middle of the melted chocolate. Swirl the chocolate all around it with a fork. Pick up the truffle with a fork – do not pierce it, simply pick it up on top of the fork’s prongs. Tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to allow the excess chocolate to drip off. Place on a baking sheet for chocolate to set.

I use high quality baking chocolate such as Baker’s or Ghirardelli brands. I prefer semi-sweet, but milk chocolate or white chocolate would be fine. I know you’re wondering about the green coating! I picked up a $1.99 bag of these Wilton Candy Melts at Michael’s the other day. If you can’t find them, you can just dye some high quality white chocolate with a few drops of oil-based or powdered food coloring instead.

Green Wilton Candy Melts

The Candy Melts do not taste like chocolate – they just taste like sugar/vanilla. I enjoy the taste of pure chocolate, so that’s why a majority of my truffles were coated in pure semi-sweet chocolate.

For the green drizzle, simply poor the melted Candy Melts into an emptied (and very clean!) squeeze bottle. Drizzle the green on top of the chocolate coating. Voilà!

So, there you go! Three ingredients – Cool Mint Creme Oreos, cream cheese, high quality chocolate. Plus some green candy melts and sprinkles if you’re feeling extra festive. If you’ve never tried Oreo truffles before, I highly recommend you start with the mint flavor.

Cool, creamy, minty, cheesecake-y, fudgy, festive, simple!

Mint Oreo Truffles

Yield: 30-35 truffles

Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

• 1 (15.25 oz) package Mint Creme Oreos
  • 8 ounces (224g)  cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 12 ounces high quality semi-sweet chocolate1
  • Optional: sprinkles and green candy melts

Directions:

1. Process the Oreos (the entire cookies, filling and cookie) in a food processor or blender. Pulse until crumbs are formed.
  2. Using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the Oreo crumbs with the cream cheese until combined. The mixture will be thick and sticky. You may do this step by hand, but I find using a mixer is much easier.
  3. Using your hands, roll into 30-35 balls. Place balls on two large plates, a parchment paper lined baking sheet, or a silicone mat-lined baking sheet. Freeze the truffles for about 30 minutes. (Freezing the balls is the most important step of this recipe. If they are not cold and solid, the melted chocolate will not coat the balls properly.)
  4. Coarsely chop the chocolate and melt according to package directions. Working with 1 truffle at a time, coat in chocolate. Here's how I coat truffles: drop the truffle in the middle of the melted chocolate. Swirl the chocolate all around it with a fork. Pick up the truffle with a fork - do not pierce it, simply pick it up on top of the fork's prongs. Tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to allow the excess chocolate to drip off. Place on a lined baking sheet. Top with sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet or drizzle with the melted green candy melts, if using.
  5. Refrigerate truffles for at least 10 minutes so the chocolate sets. Truffles must always be chilled and will stay fresh for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
  6. Make ahead tip: For longer storage, freeze the finished truffles up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.

1. I prefer Baker's or Ghirardelli chocolate for dipping. Both are found in the baking aisle. Do not use chocolate chips, which are not meant for coating. You want chocolate that is made for melting.

Try my Golden Oreo Truffles next!

Golden Oreo Truffles @sallybakeblog

150 Responses to “Mint Oreo Truffles.”

Carlyposted December 24, 2014 at 7:18 am

I LOVE this recipe. My brother’s girlfriend is vegan so I used “Go Veggie” cream cheese and “Enjoy Life” chocolate (since Oreo’s are actually already vegan) and viola, vegan! Simple substitutions and the recipe still turned out amazing! Thank you so much for another fantastic treat

Jesly cposted March 9, 2015 at 8:52 am

Hi, this recipe is wonderful but I would like to know if the product taste like cream cheese or if you can substitute it with something else because my husband hates cream cheese but loves Oreos.

• Sallyreplied on March 9th, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Hi Jesly, you will definitely taste the cream cheese. Unfortunately, it is the main ingredient in this simple recipe and I do not have a suitable replacement in mind.

Avniposted March 14, 2015 at 12:19 pm

When making this recipe, do I use regular cream cheese, or cream cheese filling?

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Regular, brick-style cream cheese. Not cream cheese filling or spread.

Sherriposted March 21, 2015 at 2:30 am

OMG You are a genius!!!

kidposted April 18, 2015 at 5:20 am

I wasn’t sold on this recipe, it was just too easy!

I’ve never seen oreos in flavors over here, we only get the original and the double chocolate ones.

anyway I grabbed the original and made this for the family yesterday… OMG did they love it!!!! nobody could guess it was oreos (which they all hate bty! I’m the only one that likes them!)

they loved it so much that I’m making it again for my sister-in-law’s birthday today. thank you so much for the amazing and simple recipe! I have a feeling it’ll turn into my default for gatherings 😀

one question, is there a way to add flavors to it since we only have the original oreos? I tried with orange zest but it tasted off =/

Eggchickposted August 24, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Made these this weekend.  Mmmmm.  Can’t find the Mint Oreos?  No problem, just use regular Oreos and 3/4 tsp. mint extract.  Absolutely delicious!

Ashleyposted September 4, 2015 at 8:25 am

Hi, I love oreos and mint! And these look delicious.

Debposted November 12, 2015 at 3:35 pm

You should try the berry burst oreos to make oreo balls/truffles…oh they are delicious!! I also like the mint and we make the chocolate ones and wrap the dough around a stemmed cherry…my personal favorite!

Caraposted December 11, 2015 at 4:06 am

Hi Sally! I would love to make these, but I´m currently in Spain and can only find regular oreos. Would you know of anything I could add to give them mint flavor? Maybe Andes candy?

• Sallyreplied on December 12th, 2015 at 11:55 am

Andes bars work or you could use a little peppermint extract.

Angieposted December 13, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Sally, I’m trying to make mint truffles and they’re turning into a hot mess. When I go to dip a truffle, it melts into the green white chocolate creating an unattractive swirl of green and brown. What am I doing wrong? 🙁

• Sallyreplied on December 13th, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Angie, are the truffles chilled? Try placing them in the freezer to get them extra cold. And make sure the chocolate isn’t too hot.

• Angiereplied on December 13th, 2015 at 6:09 pm

I did place them in the freezer, and I made sure the chocolate was cooled. But for some reason it still wasn’t working. Then the chocolate started getting gloopy and the truffles falling apart….I ended up rolling some of them in crushed candy canes.

• Loretta Bakerreplied on December 26th, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Angie,

See my comments below about how I do mine.

Crushed candy canes sounds like a good idea.

How did they taste?

Loretta

Terriposted December 16, 2015 at 2:31 pm

These look amazing, and I plan to make them with my 5 year old in an hour:) just curious- when I found the mint oreos, beside it were candycane Oreos. I bought them, thinking it should work well, maybe just with red drizzle? Have you tried them? Thanks

Ashleyposted December 21, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I’ve been making the black and white version of these for years! I agree on the candy melts. I personally can’t stand the little buggers. I use almond bark and go old school and melt them in a bowl over a pot of boiling water. When I dip I do them in batches of 12 and take the melted chocolate off the heat but keep the water boiling. I need to try the drizzle idea though. Normally I just melt some regular chocolate (normally a Hersey’s bar) and use a fork and just go a little crazy. The bottle would be a lot less messier lol.

Loretta Bakerposted December 26, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I use tongs to remove the candy balls after I swirl them in the chocolate.

You can also put abt a teaspoon of canola oil (or whatever oil you use) in with the morsels when you microwave them.  Stir immediately after you get them out of the microwave.  Keeps them from getting hard and sticking together.

Joyceposted March 6, 2016 at 10:14 am

Does the cream cheese changes its taste when it’s in room temperature? It tastes like its spoiled. I’ll make the truffles but I want your input first. I hope you can read this as soon as possible as I will serve this to my friend’s event. Need help! Thank you

• Sallyreplied on March 6th, 2016 at 2:16 pm

It shouldn’t. If it tastes spoiled, I’d pitch it and pick up some new cream cheese.

Joyceposted April 16, 2016 at 2:40 am

Can I add peppermint oil to the semi-sweet chocolate for the coating (just like your homemade thin mint cookies coating) to make it more minty? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on April 17th, 2016 at 10:41 am

Absolutely!

Johannaposted September 21, 2016 at 5:45 pm

Could I use VANILLA oreos for this?