Mint Oreo Truffles.

Only 3 ingredients needed to make these mint chocolate truffles. They taste like chocolate-covered Oreo cheesecakes!

Today I’m sharing the minty version of my favorite Golden Oreo Truffles. I’m sharing these truffles again because I have a few new tips and tricks for you to make them.

Have you ever had Oreo truffles before? If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile now, you are certainly familiar with these no-bake treats. They’re nothing new, nothing revolutionary, but my god… these simple Oreo truffles are so dang good!

I like to make these minty Oreo treats in the colder months because (1) they are perfect for the holidays, springtime, St. Patty’s Day, and Easter. And (2) because the chocolate won’t melt in .5 seconds all over my fingers and then on my clothes. Yum, yes. Neat, no.

I made a batch this past weekend and brought them along with me to my book release celebrations. Since this recipe makes a ton, Kevin took the leftovers to his friends the next day. Our friends’ reactions were hilarious:

“Oh my god.”

“This is made from Oreos?!?!”

“I’m going to be fat but it’s so worth it.”

“Can you marry me instead?”

So um, if you have an hour to spare – use it to make these mint chocolate treats! One bite of their Oreo cheesecake-like texture/taste and you’ll be sold.

3 Ingredient Mint Oreo Truffles. A simple no-bake recipe favorite!

I have a couple step-by-step photos for you today. Though the recipe is quite simple, I figure it’s easier for you to just see what everything is supposed to look like as you are working your way through the directions in the recipe below.

First, start with 1 package of Cool Mint Creme Oreos. This particular flavor is common and I always spot it on the shelves next to the other flavors. You may use regular or Double Stuf Cool Mint Creme Oreos here. I’ve tried the truffles with both.

Pulse the Oreos into crumbs. The entire Oreo – the cookie and the cream center.

How to Make Oreo Truffles. Step-by-step photos on

Pulse until there are no more huge chunks. Fine crumbs, like what is pictured above. ↑

Beat the crumbs with 8 ounces of softened cream cheese in a large bowl. I’ve used light cream cheese before without any problem. Next, roll into balls. I usually do about 1.5 Tablespoons of Oreo/cream cheese mixture per truffle. The mixture is very wet, but you’ll still be able to roll into balls. Place the balls on a plate and freeze. Um, please ignore my fancy paper plate.

4 Ingredient Mint Oreo Truffles by

Why am I freezing the truffles? Great question. You want the truffles cold and solid as you dip them into chocolate. If they are room temperature or still soft, they will fall apart in your hot melted chocolate. I always freeze them for at least 30 minutes. Then, I work with one truffle at a time – remove 1 from the freezer, dip in chocolate, etc.

How I Dip Truffles Into Chocolate

There is no secret to how I dip my truffles in chocolate! It’s simple: Melt pure chocolate in a deep bowl. Drop the truffle in the middle of the melted chocolate. Swirl the chocolate all around it with a fork. Pick up the truffle with a fork – do not pierce it, simply pick it up on top of the fork’s prongs. Tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to allow the excess chocolate to drip off. Place on a baking sheet for chocolate to set.

I use high quality baking chocolate such as Baker’s or Ghirardelli brands. I prefer semi-sweet, but milk chocolate or white chocolate would be fine. I know you’re wondering about the green coating! I picked up a $1.99 bag of these Wilton Candy Melts at Michael’s the other day. If you can’t find them, you can just dye some high quality white chocolate with a few drops of oil-based or powdered food coloring instead.

Green Wilton Candy Melts

The Candy Melts do not taste like chocolate – they just taste like sugar/vanilla. I enjoy the taste of pure chocolate, so that’s why a majority of my truffles were coated in pure semi-sweet chocolate.

For the green drizzle, simply poor the melted Candy Melts into an emptied (and very clean!) squeeze bottle. Drizzle the green on top of the chocolate coating. Voilà!

So, there you go! Three ingredients – Cool Mint Creme Oreos, cream cheese, high quality chocolate. Plus some green candy melts and sprinkles if you’re feeling extra festive. If you’ve never tried Oreo truffles before, I highly recommend you start with the mint flavor.

Cool, creamy, minty, cheesecake-y, fudgy, festive, simple!

Mint Oreo Truffles

Yield: 30-35 truffles

Total Time: 1 hour

• 1 (15.25 oz) package Mint Creme Oreos
  • 8 ounces (224g)  cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 12 ounces high quality semi-sweet chocolate1
  • Optional: sprinkles and green candy melts

1. Process the Oreos (the entire cookies, filling and cookie) in a food processor or blender. Pulse until crumbs are formed.
  2. Using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the Oreo crumbs with the cream cheese until combined. The mixture will be thick and sticky. You may do this step by hand, but I find using a mixer is much easier.
  3. Using your hands, roll into 30-35 balls. Place balls on two large plates, a parchment paper lined baking sheet, or a silicone mat-lined baking sheet. Freeze the truffles for about 30 minutes. (Freezing the balls is the most important step of this recipe. If they are not cold and solid, the melted chocolate will not coat the balls properly.)
  4. Coarsely chop the chocolate and melt according to package directions. Working with 1 truffle at a time, coat in chocolate. Here's how I coat truffles: drop the truffle in the middle of the melted chocolate. Swirl the chocolate all around it with a fork. Pick up the truffle with a fork - do not pierce it, simply pick it up on top of the fork's prongs. Tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to allow the excess chocolate to drip off. Place on a lined baking sheet. Top with sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet or drizzle with the melted green candy melts, if using.
  5. Refrigerate truffles for at least 10 minutes so the chocolate sets. Truffles must always be chilled and will stay fresh for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
  6. Make ahead tip: For longer storage, freeze the finished truffles up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.

1. I prefer Baker's or Ghirardelli chocolate for dipping. Both are found in the baking aisle. Do not use chocolate chips, which are not meant for coating. You want chocolate that is made for melting.

Try my Golden Oreo Truffles next!

Golden Oreo Truffles @sallybakeblog

135 Responses to “Mint Oreo Truffles.”

Fayeposted March 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hi Sally – thank you so much for this simple yet (what seems to be heavenly!) recipe. I am actually thinking about doing this project after school today with my daughter and her friend (two 8-yr olds who LOVE to bake!). Quick question please …. for the melting chocolate, can I use the Pound Plus chocolate bar from Trader Joes? Don’t know if you are familiar with it but it is simply delicious eating chocolate (Belgian) that I have used chopped up in baked goods before. Never tried to melt it and use it to coat anything; comes in a 56% and 72% dark (or semi-sweet) versions. Thank you in advance!

• Sallyreplied on March 7th, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Hi Faye! Sorry I’m just getting home to the computer now – yes, that TJs bar will work wonderfully. I’ve used it before. It’s great for melting. Hope the girls enjoy and you all have fun!

Amyposted March 8, 2014 at 2:45 am

The last reaction from Kevin’s friends is priceless! Who knew the fastest way to a guy’s heart would be with chocolate, mint, and cookies… I always thought it was pizza, bacon, and french fries! Your drizzles on all of your desserts always look picture-perfect, and then green really pops against the dark chocolate. Thank goodness St. Patrick’s Day is almost here — your truffles look too good to wait any longer!

• Sallyreplied on March 8th, 2014 at 8:42 am

I think a bacon pizza with cheese fries on the side, some sort of steak, and these mint truffles for dessert will get any man to propose haha! Thanks Amy, we loved these. The drizzles are a little tedious sometimes, but hey – at least they’re cute.

• Amyreplied on March 8th, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Good to know that magical proposal combination! 😉 The drizzles are absolutely adorable and totally worth the effort!

Nanaposted March 8, 2014 at 7:48 am

Hi Sally ^^ i’m planning in making this and the cream cheese that i bought is 225 g and it might be a waste to let 5g of cream left. So i im thinking that maybe i can use all 225g instead of 224g in the recipe. Do you think it will affect it badly?

• Nanareplied on March 8th, 2014 at 7:49 am

typo!! 1g not 5g….

• Sallyreplied on March 8th, 2014 at 8:40 am

1g of cream cheese is nothing. The 224g is rounded. Anywhere between 215-235g of cream cheese would be fine! So yes, you can absolutely use all 225g.

Taylorposted March 8, 2014 at 2:00 pm

I made these last night and they were delicious!
    I did have a ridiculously hard time dipping them though, not sure why. The first couple turned out great, but then the chocolate seemed to thicken too much and they started looking less smooth and pretty. :(
    Nevertheless, they tasted amazing. Thanks Sally!

• Sallyreplied on March 8th, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Hey Taylor! If you find the chocolate getting thick again, you can thin it out in the microwave for a few seconds then continue dipping. Happy you liked them!

Megposted March 8, 2014 at 8:33 pm

These look so yummy! Definitely gonna need to try these out pretty soon. I was wondering, though… You say they should always be chilled, so would it be a huge issue if I were to, say, leave them in the break room at work in the morning? Would they get melty or anything like that or would they hold up throughout the day (assuming, of course, that they last!)?

• Sallyreplied on March 9th, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Hey Meg! As long is it is not a particularly warm room or on a very warm day, they should be fine at room temperature for a couple hours.

Kathy Rposted March 10, 2014 at 7:45 am

Made these on Saturday – may have licked the spoon a few too many times! Took to a birthday party yesterday – and they were a major hit! I cannot believe how easy they were. Am planning on trying some different combinations with the different flavor oreos.

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2014 at 10:31 am

Kathy, I love them with Golden Oreos and Peanut Butter Oreos. I bet Lemon Oreos would be good too!

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted March 10, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I freaking LOVE oreo truffles. They are so simple yet everyone finds them so fancy (cuz they are awfully cute). I love how festive these are for St. Patty’s Day!

Isra A.posted March 12, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I tried making these truffles but I needed to refrigerate the mixture in order to let it set before I was able to roll them into balls. I used my Ninja mixer (with the dough blade) to blend the cream cheese and Oreo crumbs. I think it heated the mixture up too much. I was unable to form them into balls at first.

• Sallyreplied on March 12th, 2014 at 7:39 pm

That’s ok! Definitely refrigerate the “dough” if you need to Isra.

Haliposted March 14, 2014 at 3:48 pm

Hi Sally! I made these and your golden oreo truffles today for a company bake off. (Don’t tell anyone they were no bake!) A few comments:

– I had a hard time getting the 35 balls you managed to make. My first batch was only 22 and even when I tried to make them smaller for the second batch, I only got 26.
    – I don’t have a food processor (definitely going on my wedding registry) so I resorted to using a blender to crush the cookies, which I wouldn’t recommend. It made the cookie crumbs much too fine so the first batch ended up a bit too wet once I mixed in the cream cheese. The second batch I crushed fewer cookies at a time, which seemed to work better.
    – I tried freezing them on a paper plate like you did, but they tended to stick to the paper plate when I was ready to dip them. I was able to twist them free, but I’ll definitely think twice about the paper plate next time.
    – Your dipping method was genius. I struggled with dipping so much last time I made truffles but your approach left them looking much cleaner and less lumpy. They did stick to the fork a bit but I just slide them off with my finger.
    – I was also really surprised at how expensive this recipe was. I ended up spending nearly $20 a batch, which was disappointing since it works out to nearly a dollar per truffle. The good quality chocolate bars add up fast!

Overall a great recipe! I think I prefer the golden oreo ones to the mint chocolate but I’ve never been a fan of mint chocolate. The golden oreo truffles tasted almost like cheesecake bites – amazing! I actually ended up winning first with the golden oreo truffles at our little bake off and the mint truffles got third. I will definitely make these again but will probably hoard them all to myself considering how expensive they were. Thanks for a great recipe!

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Thanks for reporting back, Hali! Love hearing all your opinions. I’m so glad you tried these truffles and that they won 3rd place. Yes, pure chocolate can be pricey. Sorry you didn’t realize that! I love the golden oreo version too. Thanks Hali!

Nutmeg Nannyposted March 15, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Oh gosh, I love mint so much :) these truffles are divine!

Avaposted March 16, 2014 at 9:01 pm

OMG!!! These are totally Devine. I made them tonight and they are already devoured. I will definitely be making these again with different flavors of Oreos, Coating and Sprinkles. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. Just one quick question, do you think I could make these with Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies? I have some leftover ones in the freezer and was wondering if I could use them instead??

• Sallyreplied on March 17th, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Definitely, Ava! I’ve done it before with Thin Mints. Works wonderfully.

Alexaposted April 6, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I made these last night and they are a hit with everyone in my family. We all love mint flavored treats and these truffles were simple to make and so yummy! I definitely want to try these with other oreos/cookies and other chocolate flavors/colored coatings.

Thanks so much for the great recipe!

fresh trufflesposted April 21, 2014 at 4:06 am

Those look so yummy. I am going to make these in next special occasion and thanks a lot for sharing your genius with the world :)

Laurieposted July 18, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Hi Sally!

I came across your baking site through sheer accident and now, I can’t wait to try all the brilliant recipes you have. These were my first, as an attempt to cheer up my roomie and because I love mint oreos. They turned out SO RICH that both of us could only eat one before we were done but oh my, it was so worth it. Your recipe was easy to follow and a treat to make. Now I’ve got enough truffles to last me for weeks (in the freezer).

alizehposted August 1, 2014 at 12:06 pm

hey sally plzz tell me what type of cream cheese to use … the one in jar names is cream cheese spread or the other one

Kateposted September 8, 2014 at 9:41 am

Hi Sally! Can I use different flavors of Oreo?

Charissa Nelsonposted September 29, 2014 at 12:31 am

I live in india. We do not have the Mint Oreo biscuits here. We just have the Chocolate ones. Could you please suggest an alternative for the biscuits

Jamieposted October 7, 2014 at 3:26 am

Hey Sally! I was wondering if I could simply use mint leaves to make my own small amount of extract? Everywhere I went, they were conveniently out of mint creme oreos. But also, could I simply use normal oreos or would that really dull the flavor with all the chocolate?
    Oh and I hope you and Kevin are having a great time being married! :’)

Cilkaposted November 8, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Hi Sally – I used the correct type of semi-sweet chocolate (baking bar, not chips), and although it melted nicely for the first few minutes it very quickly became chunky and start to burn. I used low heat the entire time and mixed it constantly. Why did this happen and how can I prevent it from happening again? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on November 8th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I would melt it on a lower heat. Remove it from heat while there are still a few chunks and then stir it vigorously to melt those pieces.

Lɪᴛᴛʟᴇ Dʀᴀɢᴏɴposted November 22, 2014 at 10:26 am

I really want to make these for Christmas this year, although I have a slight problem. We don’t have Mint Oreo’s in Australia. Sadly, Oreo’s are extremely lacking here. Could you add Mint essence or crushed candy cane to get the mint taste???

• Sallyreplied on November 22nd, 2014 at 10:47 am

Yep! use regular oreos and then add a bit of mint essence, to taste.

Camillaposted November 25, 2014 at 5:12 am

Hi!! Sally
    I live in norway and we do not have the big
    Boxes of oreos so please tell me How many
    Oreos there are in one big box :)

Katie Cposted November 25, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Hi! I’d like to add these to some care packages, but I’m not sure they will keep with the cream cheese? What do you think? Will they go bad in the mail?

• Sallyreplied on November 25th, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I don’t suggest sending these– they must stay refrigerated.

• Katie Creplied on November 26th, 2014 at 1:07 am

Thanks for a quick response! I thought maybe so, but I wanted to make sure!

Aliposted November 26, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hi Sally, not sure if this is too late or not, but I really want to make these for Christmas, but I’m doing most of my baking ahead of time so I’m not too stressed come the week of Christmas. Could these be made 2-3 weeks prior to serving and kept in the freezer? Or would that ruin the texture when it’s thawed?

Thanks! :)

Marleneposted December 10, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Two questions on your mint oreo truffles. Can you make them ahead of time and freeze? Due to allergies can I use melted chocolate chips for dipping?

Juneposted December 13, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I saw this tip on keeping chocolate warm for dipping, sounded good.
    Tip: to keep your chocolate warm while you dip, set the bowl on an electric griddle set to low (about 200 degrees) and covered with a thick kitchen towel. This will keep your chocolate liquid while you dip.

Veroposted December 16, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Hi there, had been drooling for these bad babies since coming across them. I made 1/3 of the batch because I wanted to try them out first and not have to buy more melting chocolate than necessary. Weeeeell, looks like I’m gonna have to buy it anyway. These are good. Will for sure make again!

Janeposted December 17, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Same question as others have posted. Can they be frozen?

• Sallyreplied on December 17th, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Hi Jane. Yep! See the last recipe instruction.

• Janereplied on December 17th, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Thanks. Sorry I missed that!

Gigiposted December 17, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Hi! Thanks for the delicious recipe. I want to make these for my friend who loves both Mint Oreos and truffles, but we live in different states. She lives in Michigan and I live in Gerogia. How would you suggest I pack these truffles?

Cynthiaposted December 18, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I am making a variation of these tonight! I am using the Walmart brand , Our Finest, Candy Cane cookies! Basically they are an Oreo wíth candy came pieces in the cream!
    I will let you know how I make out!
    Thanks Sally for sharing this recipe with us 😉

Melissaposted December 22, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I just made these and they are amazing! I found Dark Cocoa Mint candy melts made by Wilton and mixed them in with Bakers semi sweet chocolate. So good! Thanks for the recipe!

Carlyposted December 24, 2014 at 7:18 am

I LOVE this recipe. My brother’s girlfriend is vegan so I used “Go Veggie” cream cheese and “Enjoy Life” chocolate (since Oreo’s are actually already vegan) and viola, vegan! Simple substitutions and the recipe still turned out amazing! Thank you so much for another fantastic treat

Jesly cposted March 9, 2015 at 8:52 am

Hi, this recipe is wonderful but I would like to know if the product taste like cream cheese or if you can substitute it with something else because my husband hates cream cheese but loves Oreos.

• Sallyreplied on March 9th, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Hi Jesly, you will definitely taste the cream cheese. Unfortunately, it is the main ingredient in this simple recipe and I do not have a suitable replacement in mind.

Avniposted March 14, 2015 at 12:19 pm

When making this recipe, do I use regular cream cheese, or cream cheese filling?

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Regular, brick-style cream cheese. Not cream cheese filling or spread.

Sherriposted March 21, 2015 at 2:30 am

OMG You are a genius!!!

kidposted April 18, 2015 at 5:20 am

I wasn’t sold on this recipe, it was just too easy!

I’ve never seen oreos in flavors over here, we only get the original and the double chocolate ones.

anyway I grabbed the original and made this for the family yesterday… OMG did they love it!!!! nobody could guess it was oreos (which they all hate bty! I’m the only one that likes them!)

they loved it so much that I’m making it again for my sister-in-law’s birthday today. thank you so much for the amazing and simple recipe! I have a feeling it’ll turn into my default for gatherings 😀

one question, is there a way to add flavors to it since we only have the original oreos? I tried with orange zest but it tasted off =/

Eggchickposted August 24, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Made these this weekend.  Mmmmm.  Can’t find the Mint Oreos?  No problem, just use regular Oreos and 3/4 tsp. mint extract.  Absolutely delicious!

Ashleyposted September 4, 2015 at 8:25 am

Hi, I love oreos and mint! And these look delicious.