Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies.

Only 7 simple ingredients needed to make these soft & chewy flourless peanut butter oatmeal cookies!

Today’s post is coming to you a little late in the day. Total lazy Sunday. I’m sitting on the couch still full after last night’s crab cake dinner, a little lethargic after yesterday’s walk around Annapolis, and my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.

Great ab workout if you ask me.

(If you live in the Columbia area, check out Stanford Grill for dinner. Incredible crab cakes, nightly jazz band, all fresh and local ingredients, great beer and wine selection. It’s by far my favorite restaurant in the area.)

A couple of my girlfriends visited this past weekend and when we weren’t laughing hysterically, we were eating chocolate and guacamole and jelly beans and pizza and fries. True story. So today’s cookie recipe is on the healthier side. Best way to start a new week. Or is this the best way to start a new week? I’m torn.

If you follow me on Instagram, you may remember my troubles with a gluten free cookie recipe a couple weeks ago. You’ve been asking for more gluten free recipes, so I’m trying my hand at experimentation. Sure, they may look incredible in the picture but my god. Those flourless peanut butter oatmeal cookies tasted like cardboard. Crispy, soft, cakey, and dry all at the same time. I’ll spare you any more detail.

Determined, I tried my hand at them again. Batches number two and three were completely flavorless. The texture was spot on, though. Baby steps! “Practice makes perfect” – I kept telling myself. They were soft and chewy just how I love my oatmeal cookies. But their taste was seriously lacking; not something I’d ever want to share with others. We spread each with a smear of peanut butter and ate them anyway.

The (delicious) things I do for the sake of recipe testing.

7 ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies - soft, chewy, simple, and gluten free!

Fourth time’s a charm! In fact, the 4th batch was so delightfully charming that I made them twice in 3 days. Each batch disappeared. Taste testers had no idea these sneaky little peanut butter cookies had no butter, no flour, and reduced sugar. They each thought today’s flourless peanut butter oatmeal cookies tasted like my full-fat, sugary peanut butter cup oatmeal cookies. It was music to my ears.

Needless to say, I’m quite excited to share these cookies with you today. They’re “bangin” as my one friend described them. Hey Sal, you got anymore of those bangin’ peanut butter cookies?

Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Use your favorite peanut butter – whether that’s homemade or store-bought. Try to stay away from anything too oily. I like to use my homemade honey roasted peanut butter in this recipe and strongly suggest you do as well for the best flavor. Peanut butter takes the place of regular butter in this cookie recipe.

Homemade Peanut Butter by sallysbakingaddiction.com

While you do not need a mixer for today’s flourless cookie recipe – you will need to chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes. Just enough time for you to clean up and preheat the oven. Then, scoop, bake, eat, fall in flourless-peanut-butter-oatmeal-cookie-love.

I’m so corny. Are you even still reading? Let’s, uh, get to the recipe.

Chewy edges, soft centers, cinnamon-spiced and full of peanut butter flavor. No butter, no flour, no oil, and yet… still taste dreamy. With a recipe repertoire of hundreds of cookies, it really says something when I make the same cookie recipe twice in 2 days!! Like my friend said, they’re bangin’…. but it totally sounds cooler when he says it.

Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Yield: 14 cookies

Prep Time: 40 minutes (includes chilling)

Total Time: 50 minutes

Only 7 simple ingredients needed to make these soft & chewy flourless peanut butter oatmeal cookies. Dark chocolate chips, peanut butter, cinnamon, and not much else in this gluten free cookie recipe.

• 2/3 cup (58g) old-fashioned rolled oats1
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup (250g) peanut butter at room temperature or cold2
  • 6 Tablespoons (90g) packed light brown sugar3
  • 1/2 cup (90g) semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips

1. In a medium bowl, toss the oats, cinnamon, and baking soda together. Set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the peanut butter and brown sugar with a large rubber spatula until combined. Pour in the dry ingredients and slowly mix until everything is combined. Depending how thick and/or cold your peanut butter is, you'll have to use some arm muscles. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  2. Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Scoop the dough, about 1.5 Tablespoons each, onto prepared baking sheet. Bake two batches - 7 cookies on each baking sheet. Gently press down on the dough mounds with the back of a spoon to slightly flatten as pictured in this recipe. If you find the cookie dough balls are oily-looking from your peanut butter, blot each with a paper towel.
  4. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked, but that's ok. For crispy cookies, bake for up to 12 minutes. Sometimes I press a couple more chocolate chips into the tops of each cookie immediately after coming out of the oven. This is optional and only for looks!
  5. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies stay fresh stored covered at room temperature for up to 7 days, if they last that long!
  6. Make ahead tip: For longer storage, freeze the cookies for up to 3 months then thaw overnight in the refrigerator.

Gluten intolerant readers: make sure your oats are certified gluten free.

1. I typically use 3/4 cup of oats in these cookies, however 2/3 cup makes the cookie dough a little easier to handle and the baked cookies less crumbly. Make sure you use old-fashioned oats, not quick oats.
  2. About the peanut butter: you may use homemade, natural, or commercial peanut butter, however the type you use will alter their texture slightly. I found the best texture was with 1 cup of my homemade honey roasted peanut butter or 1 cup Skippy Natural Peanut Butter. If using my homemade peanut butter, make sure it is at room temperature or cold. Freshly processed, it's quite warm and you do not want to use warm peanut butter in the cookie dough. If using natural brand peanut butter: be sure to stir in any excess oil on top and get it completely mixed in. Otherwise, your cookies will spread. An equal amount of almond butter can be used instead of peanut butter.
  3. About the sugar: you can use white sugar instead, but keep in mind you'll lose the mild molasses flavor from brown sugar. If the peanut butter you are using is not sweet and on the salty side, increase brown sugar to 1/2 cup.

Two more flourless cookie recipes: Breakfast Cookies

Healthy Breakfast Cookies! Get the simple recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

and these fabulous Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies!

6 ingredient Flourless Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies - simply, healthy, quick!

More cookie recipes.

More gluten free recipes.

260 Responses to “Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies.”

You Youposted April 2, 2015 at 2:29 am

Oh I love peanut butter, I love oatmeal, and pairing the two also! I usually top my breakfast oatmeal with some crunchy pb and this recipe seems so perfect for me!

Barbposted April 2, 2015 at 9:51 am

I tried this today using 3T brown sugar and 3T coconut sugar. They are very good! Next time I am going to use all coconut sugar. I am hoping for the best :) Thanks for the fab recipe!

Deniseposted April 2, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve already made three batches of the cookies. My first batch I did it just as you said but my second and third batches I took out the cinnamon (didn’t want anything to take away from the peanut butter/chocolate flavour) and added 1/4 cup ground flax seed to a double batch. They turned out delicious every time! Thanks again!

Poposted April 8, 2015 at 8:09 am

My aunt has been forcing me for weeks now to make something out of her oatmeal. Since I have a jar of peanut butter that I want to utilize, I tried this recipe… and I’m glad I did! This is just too amazing! She likes it SO MUCH because it’s like the expensive cookies you buy at coffee shops. She also can’t believe that these are gluten-free! Will definitely be making another batch of this soon <3 Thank you so much for sharing this!

Ginger Starkposted April 19, 2015 at 10:01 pm

I’m a fan of your site, but these weren’t that great. Very dry, even when baking at just 6 minutes. I like the ingredients, just will have to play with the amounts a bit.

Revaposted May 11, 2015 at 12:31 am

These are awesome! I still can’t believe they’re flourless after making them. I did make a few adjustments: I used tahini instead of peanut butter, 3 T. brown sugar plus 5 T. coconut sugar, grated in some fresh nutmeg, added 1/4 tsp. almond extract, and left out the chocolate chips. They were super good! Thank you, love!

Angieposted May 15, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe.  The cookies were delicious!

Joanna Kierkloposted May 16, 2015 at 12:09 am

OMG….I make these cookies EVERY week. I love that there’s no flour (even though I’m not gluten intolerant) and always have the ingredients in my home. They are so delicious, easy and stay fresh for a long time. Thanks for this amazing recipe!

Natasha McClaneposted June 8, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I just made these, with some alterations.  We have food allergies, so here’s what i did:
    I used sunflower seed butter in place of peanut butter, flaxseed meal and water for the egg, gluten free oats, and Enjoy Life chocolate morsels.  I also used organic raw brown sugar.  I had to make them a bit smaller and bake them the full time to get them to hold together better.  They are a bit too sweet for my taste, so next time I may substitute half the sugar with raw stevia. Great!  Thanks for posting!

Michelle Kingposted June 14, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I just made these but substituted brown sugar for honey and used part Peter Pan and part all natural penut butter. Waiting for the dough to cool but the dough tastes delicious!!! I put in a little more cinnamon than called for because my family is nuts about spices. Thanks for the recipe!!!!

Sherryposted June 30, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Came  out gr8..  Added 2 eggs..
    Thanks :)

Vicky Watersposted July 9, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Oh wow, these are beyond wonderful! I really had doubts when I was making them, but wow again! I added two additional tablespoons of brown sugar and two tablespoons of baking Splenda and left out the cinnamon and chocolate chips. I did use the 3/4 cup of oatmeal and used regular old commercial PB. These will be my go-to peanut butter cookies from now on. Thank you so much!

Kimberly McGowanposted July 28, 2015 at 2:43 pm

I used the organic PB from Trader Joe’s as well – I just smashed the “dough” together with my hands to form the balls and they are great – they are delicate after baking – but I would hardly call this a fail as the other reader did!! My family loved them! There’s so much variation between peanut butters, I bet that’s why folks are having differences in consistency. I might try adding the extra egg next time – will definitely make again. Thank you!!

Meghanposted August 11, 2015 at 12:50 am

These cookies turned out amazing! I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

Sonyaposted August 14, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Made these two times and they are great. In the UK so used Whole Earth smooth natural peanut butter with hotel chocolat 70% dark choc drops. Fabulous!

SPposted August 23, 2015 at 12:02 pm

These look great. Any way to substitute agave syrup for brown sugar?

Nehaposted September 1, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Omg these are delicious!  Just whipped them up in led than 30 mins.  Yum, they are creamy, perfectly sweet and addicting. I only put in half the brown sugar and added flax seed meal and chia seeds.

Amanda Mposted September 7, 2015 at 12:51 pm

I made a batch of oatmeal cookies while my husband & his friends were over yesterday, including my brother, who has terrible indigestion when eating most wheat, barley or rye flour.  Well, it’s tough for him being left out, and this really was my fault for not thinking ahead.  I desperately needed something that a) I already had in my stock, & b) wasn’t going to feed an army & would take less than an hour to knock out.

These were amazing! I added a tablespoon of vanilla  (because, why not?!) & they were a huge hit. I was surprised at the texture of the batter, and worried I might have done something wrong, as it was very crumbly. However, they held up & became a moist cookie that reminded us a lot of no-bake cookies. We each enjoyed one & my brother took the rest home (if he ever stopped eating them).

I really can’t thank you enough for sharing this recipe. It’s quick, simple, economical, & most importantly – delicious! This is definitely a new family tradition. ♡

• Sallyreplied on September 7th, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Amazing. Thanks so much for reporting back Amanda. I love these cookies too.

Earlposted October 10, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I have been playing with different recipes replacing flour with 100 percent whole wheat and this result in very crumbly cookies. But in the end, no wheat is best I know. But so is no sugar. Real Butter is absolutely no problem for me. In fact I eat fat off other peoples steaks. I love fat. Last springs I trimmed down on this diet, avoiding sugar and white flour products and plenty of exercise. A stick of butter each day is not uncommon. So what I am looking for in a cookie. Peanut butter, oatmeal, butter, stevia for sweetening and maybe some honey. No soybean or vegetable oil, I guess maybe I need to invest in a mill and grind my own peanuts. Any ideas?

Trevposted October 31, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Ran out of peanut butter so made almond butter. Added a tablespoon of LSA cause I like it, otherwise as your recipe. Love the taste and texture (crisp but soft inside). Get reflux with wheat based cookies so these will still give me the chance to have cookies..

Susanposted November 18, 2015 at 1:05 am

These didn’t work for me, and I’m not sure what I did wrong. I followed the recipe exactly as written, but they turned out dry and fell apart.  I’ll go back to a traditional peanut butter cookie next time.

Devika Sharmaposted November 25, 2015 at 8:17 am

These were great, thanks :)
    Just wondering, why do we need to refrigerate these? The dough wasn’t very sticky or hard to manage, so what was the purpose of sticking it in the fridge?

Patricia Parasoposted November 30, 2015 at 12:50 am

Hi Sally! I’m taking a study (baking) break from reading transcriptions May I ask what the effect is if quick cooking oats are used instead? :) thank you!