Mini French Toast Bites.

Just when you think french toast can’t get any better – try it in mini size. Both fun to make and even more fun to eat!

Mini French Toast Bites - fun to make and even more fun to eat!

I have a new post-race tradition. Sit down to a huge plate of french toast, wash it down with a tall orange juice, and a giant bowl of fruit that is probably large enough to feed a family of 4. Mmm, mangoes and cantaloupe.

On Saturday, I came home from the city completely famished. Anything in sight sounded good. So while I inhaled a leftover baked sweet potato (so random, I know), I began slicing a baguette we had on the counter and before I knew it, french toast was on the menu. Wham bam, thank you ma’am.

This recipe was totally unplanned and I wasn’t even going to share it on my blog. But how could I keep this buttery, syrup drenched mountain of bite-sized french toast to myself?

Just when you think french toast can't get any better - try it in mini size. Both fun to make and even more fun to eat!

French toast isn’t anything new or inventive, but when you use different shapes and sizes of bread – it all of a sudden becomes interesting again. For the record, french toast is always interesting to me. Comfort food at its finest.

Kevin makes a mean stack of french toast on the regular. So simple – 3 eggs, half-and-half, milk, cinnamon, 8 slices of bread. We usually share the batch on lazy Sunday mornings while Jude watches us eat it.

Sort of like this, actually…

Jude & french toast

Get your eyes off my french toast, buddy.

As I was saying, this french toast is laughably simple. Basic, quick, no secret ingredients, no frills. Sometimes I add a little orange zest to the egg mixture soak. It pairs wonderfully with the cinnamon. Try it!

First, grab a large crusty french baguette from the store. Sorry guys, I didn’t bake the baguette myself. It’s ok to cheat a little, especially when you’re starving. Crusty is key – make sure your baguette is nice and crisp.

I let this loaf go stale for about 2 days before making the french toast. So, buy a loaf on Thursday for a Saturday or Sunday morning breakfast.

Slice it up into 1-1.5 inch slices.

The egg mixture is simply 3 eggs, 1/2 cup half-and-half, and 1/2 cup milk. I strongly suggest half-and-half because you want an extra thick custard soak. The thicker, the better. Add a dash of cinnamon and watch the little guys soak up all the goodness.

Let the mini slices of crusty bread soak in the egg mixture for a few minutes as you heat up the pan. Butter the pan generously – I usually use 1 Tablespoon of butter; it gives the french toast a much more flavorful crust as opposed to using oil or nonstick spray. Your kitchen will begin to smell incredible at this point. I wish everyday was french toast day. Kevin, are you reading?

Cook the mini french toast slices until browned on both sides – 3 minutes on each side. Use tongs to flip them – it’s so much easier that way. Pile the french toast up nice and high and slather in a cascade of maple syrup and a dash of powdered sugar, if you’re feeling extra sweet.

The recipe makes enough for 4 people – but that absolutely depends on how hungry you are. Because of the small size, these are perfect for little kitchen helpers. :)

Mini French Toast Bites - fun to make and even more fun to eat!

You may not be able to find the exact size baguette I used, so if you have leftover slices of bread — I’m sure you can find a use for them. I like to spread crusty baguettes with homemade honey roasted peanut butter. Likewise, if you have leftover egg custard, you can either discard or grab regular bread slices and make more french toast.

Since this recipe was completely unplanned, it was pure torture to snap these few pictures before digging in! I was absolutely starving. I inhaled the above plate in about 10 seconds. Bon appétit!

Mini French Toast Bites

Yield: serves 4

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 25 minutes

• one 13 oz french baguette (anywhere around that size)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) half-and-half1
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) milk (I use 1%)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1-2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, for greasing the pan

1. Slice baguette into 1 - 1.5 inch slices. Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, milk, and cinnamon together until combined. The mixture will be thick and creamy. Pour in a pie dish or baking pan, whichever is easiest for you. Make ahead: at this point, you can cover the mixture up tightly and refrigerate until the morning when you are ready to make french toast.
  3. Soak the bread slices in the mixture for about 2 minutes on each side.  Meanwhile, over medium-low heat, melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in a skillet pan. Place however many slices of bread fir into the pan and cook until gold brown on each side, about 3 minutes on each side. Melt more butter in skillet pan for the next batch, if needed.
  4. Serve immediately with butter, maple syrup, confectioners' sugar, and/or fruit.

1. I do not recommend substituting for the half-and-half. It gives the egg mixture the thickest consistency for soaking the bread. If anything, you may use 1 cup of whole milk instead of the 1/2 milk + 1/2 half-and-half.

The recipe makes enough for 4 people - but that absolutely depends on how hungry you are. You may not be able to find the exact size baguette I used, so if you have leftover slices of bread -- I'm sure you can find a use for them (like this crostini!). Likewise, if you have leftover egg custard, you can either discard or grab regular bread slices and make more french toast.

Try my Overnight French Toast Bake – this make-ahead recipe is in my cookbook

Overnight French Toast Bake in Sally's Baking Addiction Cookbook

And my Blueberry French Toast Casserole!

French Toast Casserole on

See more breakfast recipes.

Mini French Toast

113 Responses to “Mini French Toast Bites.”

Frankieposted April 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm

This recipe looks so delicious! I am going to have to try them sometime!!

I have just started my own baking blog for Uni and I would love it if you checked it out! :)

Sarah Burginposted April 16, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Oh my, these look adorable! I love anything mini, especially when it comes to breakfast foods, so I’ll definitely try this out.
    Thanks for sharing!

Amyposted April 16, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Just darling! One of my favourite French toast episodes was when my best friend made it with some gluten free fruit toast and we sat out on the porch and spread leftover coconut creme brulee on top while enjoying the summer sun. I love the mini idea, especially for a brunch spread :)

• Sallyreplied on April 17th, 2014 at 6:26 am

That sounds a heck of a lot better than ANY french toast I’ve ever had before Amy. What I wouldn’t do for some leftover creme brûlée right now!

ashley - baker by natureposted April 16, 2014 at 10:24 pm

goodness gal! this looks aaaaamazing!

Nicole ~ Cooking for Keepsposted April 16, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Why is it that everything miniature just tastes better??! Looks fab!

• Sallyreplied on April 17th, 2014 at 6:25 am

Lol I totally agree.

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingposted April 17, 2014 at 2:11 am

So happy you changed your mind and suffered through the photo shoot; the french toast looks amazing! My mom always used to make us some on weekend mornings too. She usually used the whole wheat sandwich bread we kept in the fridge instead of buying special french bread. But I absolutely love the sound of mini french toast bites — they’re the perfect size for little ol’ me! 😉 And awesome tip about flipping with tongs. I’m definitely doing that next time!

• Sallyreplied on April 17th, 2014 at 6:24 am

The tongs makes things much easier! Especially when working with smaller pieces of bread. I, too, love whole wheat french toast!

Alexposted April 17, 2014 at 9:07 am

Ooh this looks delicious! My family love french toast, although we don’t have it often – I’m not sure why! I have your recipe book and the Overnight French Toast Bake looks soo yummy, will definitely make one of them this week.

• Sallyreplied on April 17th, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Thanks Alex, let me know if you try either recipe. Enjoy!

amiposted April 17, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I was planning french toast for tomorrow morning. The only way to get some eggs in to my daughter! Instead of french bread i would be using a multigrain/whole wheat instead. I am sure still it will be so yummy.Your recipe can never go wrong.

PS: I am baking your triple salted caramel cupcake to take to my friend’s. Can I make the frosting a bit more creamy and use a tip to pipe it on? Will that work with this frosting? Since I have made it before I know its very thick, but was thinking to add more heavy cream to make it creamier and pipable.

• Sallyreplied on April 18th, 2014 at 5:37 am

Hi Ami – enjoy this french toast! Might just be the tastiest way to eat eggs. And yes, you can simply beat more heavy cream into the caramel frosting.

Jamie @ Sometimes Healthy Living Blogposted April 18, 2014 at 7:12 am

Agree with you that french toast is laughably simple, but I’m a huge fan of trying different breads and flavor combos. This looks delicious! Pinning away 😉

I made challah eggnog french toast around the holidays and it was seasonably delightful!

• Sallyreplied on April 18th, 2014 at 7:50 am

mmmm that challah french toast sounds amazing Jamie.

Callieposted April 19, 2014 at 9:33 am

Love this recipe and the idea to serve up french toast is a fun, finger food way!

Melissaposted April 20, 2014 at 1:56 am

I’ve never thought of making mini-french toast before- and I love the idea of using a baguette :) Thanks for sharing your creativity. And..your dog is so cute (and he does look like he’s eyeing your meal!)

• Sallyreplied on April 20th, 2014 at 7:55 am

Hahaha yes Jude is always eyeing out meals! Enjoy this recipe, french toast in mini form is fun to eat!

Marie from Gposted April 21, 2014 at 10:02 am

I made these yesterday and they were really good (I think I´ll make another batch today!). I just have a question regarding the consistency because I´ve never made or eaten French Toast before: Is it supposed to be crunchy on the edges and more spongy in the middle, or should it be completely crunchy?

• Sallyreplied on April 21st, 2014 at 10:25 am

Crunchy crust, soft middle. That’s exactly how it should be!

Susan Gposted April 21, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Sally!! What an awesome idea and since I love everything (well almost everything ) miniature this recipe will be perfect to try asap. I’ve never made my french toast with 1/2 and 1/2 but I bet it takes it to a whole new level :)

• Sallyreplied on April 22nd, 2014 at 7:44 am

It truly does; the egg “custard” is so much thicker and really soaks into the bread!

Leslieposted April 22, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Do I have to let the bread go stale? I really want these for today, haha :)

• Sallyreplied on April 22nd, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Stale bread doesn’t get mushy, so I prefer it. Whatever you like though!

Ianposted May 5, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I made this for brunch this morning and it was delicious! I’m in the UK and half-and-half isn’t something we have over here, so had to go against your advice and substitute it. I went for single cream and it seemed to work just as well. Just a tip for any Brits that are reading! :)

Lauraposted June 7, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Love French Toast and I will be leaving the other half of the baguette to stale! I also add a dash of vanilla and nutmeg to my FT batter. Had not used half and half, though. Will try that as well. (Just need to walk a bit extra!) Thanks for the new twist!

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Gotta try nutmeg next time! Thanks Laura.

Linaposted September 3, 2014 at 8:15 am

I’m new & have just stumbled upon your wonderfully enriched blog! I’m from Sydney Australia so could you kindly please explain what ‘ half & half ‘ is exactly?
    I’ve seen it written in many American recipes & no one has ever bothered to actually explain a simplified version.. :( For the record-your muffins are very successful in this household & always disappear within the hour!

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hi Lina – half and half is a mixture of equal parts whole milk and heavy cream.

• Linareplied on September 3rd, 2014 at 9:23 pm

thank you so much for the clarification! off to the supermarkets now to stock up…:)

Roseposted September 19, 2014 at 10:23 am

Great Blog!! Love your recipes and purchased your cookbook which has inpired me to bake more!! Just wondering for the french toast, do you have to prepare the egg mixture the night before or can I prep it the morning of….so basically do you recommend this egg mixture to be refridgerated?

Thanks! #Foodielove!

• Sallyreplied on September 19th, 2014 at 10:34 am

Hi Rose! Thank you so much for purchasing my cookbook. You do not have to make the egg mixture ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator. You could, but do not have to.

Ninaposted October 5, 2014 at 2:23 am

I can’t wait to make them tomorrow! What are you training for BTW? I run half marathons and am training for 26.2! Gulp! I only have a smoothie or fruit and coffee before I run too or else I don’t feel so hot.

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Hi Nina! I ran a 10K back in the spring when I published this. Good luck in your marathon!

Daisyposted December 30, 2014 at 8:49 am

Whenever I attempt to make French Toast the egg never seems to cook or if it does it turns into half french toast half fried egg! What am I doing wrong? Thank you :)

• Sallyreplied on December 30th, 2014 at 8:50 am

Are you using more eggs than called for? I would check your stove temperature– maybe turn it up a little.

• Daisyreplied on December 30th, 2014 at 8:53 am

I always follow what the recipe states but I’ll definitely try turning up the heat if it means the French Toast will work! Thank you <3