Dark Chocolate Chip Raspberry Banana Bread.

Super-moist and incredibly indulgent brown sugar banana bread loaded with dark chocolate chips and raspberries.

Super-moist and incredibly indulgent brown sugar banana bread with juicy raspberries and dark chocolate chips. My favorite banana bread recipe!

If you’ve been reading my blog for awhile… a long, long while… you may remember my Dark Chocolate Raspberry Banana Bread from 2012. I made that bread about 17384 times that summer. I’m not joking; ask all my old coworkers because I’d bring in a loaf practically each week. Chocolate and raspberries are my weakness.

I had 8 ripe bananas on the counter over the weekend, so I made two delicious loaves.

This time, I used my favorite banana bread base recipe. It uses more butter, brown sugar instead of white, and more banana. I call it my “best-ever banana bread” recipe and posted about it here. Check it out, banana bread lovers.

I sliced and froze one loaf – freezes beautifully up to 2 months – and snapped photos of the other loaf. We gobbled up slices for dessert and when I wasn’t looking, Kevin ate the last slice for breakfast yesterday. The nerve.

You will fall in love with this banana bread recipe! It’s incredibly dense and bursting with flavor in every slice. I sweeten the loaf with brown sugar – brown sugar and banana go together like peanut butter and chocolate. The two are just meant to be! You will love the richness the brown sugar gives.

4 giant and beautifully ripe bananas go into my banana bread. I use extra spotty brown bananas to make it – and encourage you to do the same. Not totally brown and black, just heavily speckled. Like this:

This banana bread is the moistest of moist. I know you probably hate that word or are sick of me saying it, but I simply loathe dry banana bread. I’d rather eat a bowl broccoli for breakfast than a piece of dry banana bread.

This banana bread obtains its moisture from 2 eggs and a little yogurt (in addition to the bananas and brown sugar). The 1/3 cup of yogurt goes a long way! I typically use plain Greek yogurt, but regular yogurt will be just fine. Sour cream makes a nice substitution as well. Butter gives the bread a nutty, rich flavor that is enhanced with the bananas and chocolate. And a touch of vanilla extract rounds out the banana’s sweet flavor.

Each bite is truly mouthwatering.

Deliciously moist banana bread stuffed with dark chocolate and juicy raspberries!

I use a heavy hand when adding the raspberries. I prefer using fresh raspberries because I find using frozen tints the banana bread pink, no matter how gently you fold them in. The bread also takes longer to bake when using frozen berries due to their added moisture.

I go a little lighter on the chocolate because I feel it overpowers the banana taste. However, you can see there is still plenty of chocolate in each bite!

There are no liquids in my banana bread recipe, so you know it’s going to be dense. Not overly heavy in the slightest, just the perfect amount of density you’re looking for. Dark, dense, and packed with chocolate and raspberries. Just the way I love it.

Ladies and gents, I give you… heaven in sliced form.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Banana Bread

Yield: 1 loaf

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 75 minutes, plus cooling

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature preferred
  • 1/3 cup (80g) Greek yogurt1
  • 2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 large very ripe bananas)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup (135g) dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
  • 1 cup (150g) halved raspberries, tossed in 1 Tablespoon (8g) all-purpose flour to prevent sinking2

1. Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Lightly spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2. Using a hand-held or stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed, about 3 minutes. On medium speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the yogurt, mashed bananas and vanilla on medium speed for 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the mixer if using a stand mixer. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together until combined. Using a large spoon or rubber spatula, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Slowly stir everything together until no more flour pockets remain. Do not overmix. Gently fold in the raspberries and chocolate chips.
  4. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan - sprinkle with a few additional chocolate chips if desired. Bake for 60-65 minutes, loosely covering the bread with aluminum foil at the 30 minute mark. This will prevent the top and sides from getting too brown. A toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf will come out clean when the bread is done. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before slicing.
  5. Banana bread tastes amazing on day 2 after the flavors have had time to meld together. Store leftover bread tightly at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 1 week.
  6. Make ahead tip: Bread freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving.

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Banana Bread Muffins: Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C) degrees and spray a 12-count pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. Prepare batter as directed above, fill each cupcake liner to the top with batter and bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 425°F (218°C). Then, keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the temperature to 350°F (177°C) and continue to bake for an additional 14-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Makes 10-12 muffins.

1. Either Greek or regular (non-Greek) yogurt are fine. Plain, vanilla, or honey flavored preferred. Low-fat or non-fat are OK.
  2. I prefer using fresh raspberries because I find using frozen tints the banana bread pink, no matter how gently you fold them in. The bread also takes longer to bake when using frozen berries due to their added moisture.

*Adapted from Recipe Boy

Try my Best-Ever Banana Bread recipe next!

Best-Ever Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting

And this Nutella Swirl Peanut Butter Banana Bread. Yesssss.

Nutella Swirl Peanut Butter Banana Bread

See more banana bread recipes.

So many banana breads, so little time!

Deliciously moist and flavorful banana bread packed with dark chocolate and fresh raspberries. My favorite banana EVER!

120 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Chip Raspberry Banana Bread.”

Clareposted July 9, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Do you have any recipes like this but with strawberries or can you just substitute the raspberries for strawberries in this recipe.

Aparnaposted July 11, 2014 at 10:03 am

This was scrumptious!!

Whitneyposted August 13, 2014 at 12:42 am

I was so excited to make this bread. Your photos and description really sold me. I made it tonight, and it met all of my expectations and more! Yum! My only issue was that I had to cook it about 15 minutes longer than the directions say. I’m not sure if this is just a variance in oven quality or what, but when it was done it looked and tasted incredible! Thank you for this recipe!

Linaposted August 22, 2014 at 4:03 am

Since I didnt have any berries, I switched them to choco chips and the rest I followed the instructions. Hmmmmmmmmmm its so delish n the wonderful aroma was spreading at that time.
    TQ for sharing and greetings from Jakarta.

Lexyposted September 10, 2014 at 9:58 am

I’m going to have to make this soon. Along with a dozen other recipes. I did see a funfetti banana bread on Pinterest. Except it used boxed funfetti cake mix. Ew.
    You should think about it though, homemade. No boxes.

Lesliposted October 12, 2014 at 10:26 am

Was looking for a banana bread recipe when I happened on your website and am sure glad I did! The addition of raspberries & chocolate chips…..simply genius!! I made it last week & loved it sooooo much, I made it again this week. I am telling you seriously my bananas could not ripen fast enough! Now when I am looking for a recipe I immediately go to your website instead of perusing all the others. Your photos and explanations make me want to make practically everything I see. Thank you Sally. You are my ” go to girl” & I have recommended your website to my co-workers as well

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Thanks so much Lesli! I love this recipe too.

Tammiposted October 12, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Hey there!

Loving your blog. So much I need to try!!

I whipped this up today, my first ever banana bread. Let it cook for as long as possible (about and hour and a half in the end with foil from 30 mins) but I’ve just removed it from the tin and the raspberries have sunk slightly and it has a soggy bottom! What did I do wrong? Followed the recipe although I used 3 bananas instead of 4.

Just don’t seem to have gotten the knack of cooking with fruit so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Hi Tammi – were your raspberries frozen or fresh? And were they extra moist/wet? I’ve never had a problem with the raspberries sinking – I always be sure to toss them in a bit of flour as the recipe states. Were you sure to do that?

• Tammireplied on October 12th, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Wow! Super speedy response – thank you! I used fresh raspberries and sat them on kitchen towel for a bit. Definitely coated them in flour too. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but this isn’t the first recipe I’ve had this problem. With so it’s definitely me! :S

Amandaposted December 4, 2014 at 6:21 am

Hi Sally from London! –
    I had four brown bananas so made this for my husband last night, it tasted so nice and was very moist but the edges on all fours sides were quite hard and a bit dry. Is it meant to be like that? It was almost like a crust. Did I do something wrong?
    I baked it at fan oven 160c for one hour.

Imaraposted December 31, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I love your site. I’m 17 and just started baking because I absolutely love it, not to mention my boyfriend likes the sweets too. I don’t eat gluten sugar or dairy so I never have had any of the things I’ve made from here but so far I’m getting great reviews. Can’t wait to make this bread!

Natashaposted January 22, 2015 at 3:04 am

I am desperate to make this but have no yoghurt in the fridge! Do you think milk would be an ok substitute?

• Sallyreplied on January 22nd, 2015 at 5:17 pm

That should be ok as a last resort– yogurt is preferred though for a denser textured bread.

Ashleyposted January 26, 2015 at 7:25 am

Sally, you shall be known as the moist queen to me. Not in a bad way. Haha. Whenever I search the internet for recipes I always wind up at your blog as it is always the one with the best looking recipe and best photos and explanation too!!! So far I’ve made the funfetti cake and carrot cake and I’ve got nothing but fab reviews!!! I just bought a dozen bananas so some of them are bound to get brown. Can’t wait till they do to try this recipe out soon!!!

• Sallyreplied on January 26th, 2015 at 10:43 am

Thank you Ashley!

Lisaposted February 13, 2015 at 3:24 am

Sally, this recipe popped in on one of my Facebook feeds, “Family Friendly Treats for Valentines’ Day” or something like that, and it caught my eye straight away. I made it earlier today and let it hang out in the fridge for a while. Well, I just sliced myself a test piece and – no lie – my eyes rolled back just a little. This bread is So. Effing. Good. I had the end piece, too. The END PIECE. And it was still moist and delicious. Seriously, two thumbs up. If I had three thumbs, I’d give you three thumbs up. Can’t wait to try more recipes!

Fatimaposted February 17, 2015 at 1:24 am

Simply amazing! I love your blog and these wonderful, colorful images of food. I mean, wow. I find your recipes incredibly helpful! I am definitely making this tomorrow! Lol, I have been eyeing this recipe for about 2 weeks now, finally got all the ingredients! Can’t wait to make it tomorrow.

I have a quick question though, can we use white sugar instead of brown? Or is brown mandatory, if so what difference does it give in the flavor of this bread?

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Thank you Fatima! I like to use brown sugar because it brings to much moisture (and a little flavor) to the baked bread. So, I wouldn’t sub white sugar unless you absolutely have to.

sarahposted February 25, 2015 at 4:47 pm

I plan on making this tomorrow…what is the best way to store, planning on taking it to a party 2 days after baking, assuming I don’t eat it all first!

Thanks :)

• Sallyreplied on February 25th, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Cover tightly (I keep mine in a tupperware) and keep at room temperature.

Michelleposted March 7, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Can I use a alternative to yogurt, such as milk? If so, how much would you recommend? Also can I make a crust using plain flour, sugar, butter and this to the top of the loaf?

• Sallyreplied on March 8th, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Instead of yogurt, you can use 1/3 cup buttermilk or whole milk. Even sour cream would be great.

Rebekahposted March 13, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Made this today because the pictures looked amazing! Accidentally, put 2 bananas instead of 4, OOPS! Delicious bread, can’t wait to make it again with the correct number of bananas! Found it needed 65 minutes of cook time.

Stephanieposted March 23, 2015 at 11:30 am

hello again, Sally. so far this is only the second recipe I’ve made from your blog (cake batter chocolate chip cookies being the first obviously) but the cookies I’ve made quite a few times and currently have dough balls of just that in my freezer 😀
    anyways, I made this beautiful bread last night and just had to have a slice for breakfast. soo delicious. oh my gosh. I normally don’t even like fruit in my baked goods (I know I’m crazy) but I wanted to make this bread for my husband because he likes things like this. but I tried a piece and I was in banana bread heaven. seriously Sally, you are a genius. my husband and I thank you! I made him look through all your recipes and bookmark the ones he wants me to make and I promise you, between the both of our bookmarks, by the end of this year I will have made 90% of your delicious goods.
    okay but my whole point was just to tell you THIS BREAD IS THE MOST FANTASTIC BREAD THATS EVER HAPPENED TO ME AND MY HUSBAND! so thank you Sally!

• Sallyreplied on March 23rd, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Hahaha Stephanie that’s so great! I can’t wait to hear about all the recipes you make this year. So glad you and your husband love this bread. It’s certainly one of my favorites!

Kathleenposted March 26, 2015 at 11:24 pm

I am looking for a good gluten free banana muffin recipe.
    I have made some terrible no good batches.

Do you have one?
    Do you think that quick oats and a gluten free flour could be substituted for the all purpose flour?

• Craigreplied on April 12th, 2015 at 3:40 am

I just followed this recipe using Doves Farm gluten free plain flour blend and a teaspoon each of baking powder and xanthan gum. Turned out great!

Jennposted April 7, 2015 at 1:02 am

I made this for my sweet hubby tonight, because his favorite flavors are dark chocolate, raspberry, and banana — too perfect! I followed the recipe to the T and it was out of this world! Hands down, the best banana bread I’ve ever had and hubby was in complete heaven! Thanks!

Robbieposted April 26, 2015 at 7:31 am

Hi Sally. Great recipe, very tasty and yum! Quick question though – how deep is the loaf pan you used? I followed this recipe exactly, and I used a 9×5 loaf tin, but only 5 mins in the oven and I noticed that the mix was pouring over the sides of the tin. It kept spilling for 20 mins and left a huge mess in the oven. Perhaps my loaf tin was too shallow! How deep should it be for this recipe?

• Sallyreplied on April 27th, 2015 at 9:21 am

My 9×5 pans are 9x5x3 inches.

• Robbiereplied on April 29th, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Ah that explains it! I’ve just measured my pan and it’s 9x5x2. So I basically lost an inch of banana bread mix onto the oven floor haha!

Oh well, at least the end result was absolutely incredible. Everyone said it was the yummiest banana bread they’d ever had!

Thanks so much for this recipe, it really was “totes delish” :-)

Amandaposted April 29, 2015 at 4:10 pm

My mom and I saw this recipe and immediately drove to the store for raspberries. We just moved and realized our bread loaf pans are in storage :( i have regular cupcake pans, would you just adjust bake time?

• Sallyreplied on April 30th, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Yes, the bake time will be significantly less for cupcakes.

Evaposted May 1, 2015 at 3:49 am

Your banaba bread looks so delicious :-) I often freeze ripe bananas. Can they be used for that recipe? Should I drain the juice from the thawed bananas or mix everything? Thx

• Sallyreplied on May 1st, 2015 at 7:19 am

Yep, they can be used here!

barb.posted May 15, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Sally, you havent failed me yet!  Today I bought strawberries to repeat your lovely strawberry/banana bread – out of this world – and then went to Pinterest to find something with raspberries and chocolate – and what to my wondering eyes did appear:  another of your wonderful breads!  I had to laugh out loud – as opposed to chewing, etc…..  Im sure you will be there when I am dreaming up something else.  Thanks for your generosity and good taste (!) – very generous of you.

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Thank you Barb!

Karenposted May 25, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Hi Sally – Thanks  so much for the wonderful recipe! I’m planning on doubling it and placing one loaf in the freezer (like you did). Any tips for thawing the bread? How do you store yours in the freezer? In a freezer ziploc? Thanks again for all of your wonderful recipes – your bog and cookbook are my go-to source for all things related to baking!

• Sallyreplied on May 25th, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Hi Karen! I like to freeze mine in a large ziplock bag, yes. I thaw it overnight in the refrigerator then bring to room temperature before serving.

Susanposted June 8, 2015 at 2:53 am

Have you ever tried to make this with strawberries instead? Does it also come out pink?

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2015 at 9:38 am

Strawberries work, yes! The baked bread was tinted pink just a little yes.

Judy Leeposted August 1, 2015 at 8:59 am

Sally, thank you for sharing this delicious recipe! Instead of using yogurt I used a vanilla pudding cup, and because I had no fresh raspberries I used dried cranberries.  Came out great.

I think next I’ll delete the chocolate chips and use candied fruits and call it a fruit cake.  : )

Thanks again.

Jenniferposted August 31, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Oh my gosh that chocolate chip raspberry banana bread was just amazing!! Chocolate and raspberry are truly a match made in heaven! Thank you so much for sharing, I plan on making it again today or tomorrow, depending on the bananas! thanks again, excellent recipe!

emaanposted September 12, 2015 at 4:26 pm

hi sally. i am a huge fan of all of your recipes 😉 i bake to raise money for a non profit orginization and i always use the recipes on your website. i really want to make this bread and i was wondering if you could subsitute butter with oil for this recipe. Just dont have any butter… thanks