Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms.

Soft-baked, thick style peanut butter cookies topped with Reese’s peanut butter cups.

Back from Mexico today. Sigh. What an incredible trip! We went for Kristen and Seth’s wedding. I was lucky enough to be Kristen’s bridesmaid; she had us all wearing these beautiful red dresses (the red color is called “apple”) and gave us matching red flip flops for the reception. Lots of great food, tons of margaritas, laughs, pool time, beach time, and 100 degree heat.

Back from vacation means back to reality, back to the gym, and back to eating healthy. B-O-R-I-N-G.

So, let’s put all that nonsense aside for at least 1 more day and stuff our faces with soft and puffy peanut butter cookies. Complete with a gooey peanut butter cup on top. In both regular chocolate and white chocolate. :)

Have you tried my go-to peanut butter cookie recipe yet? Soft, thick, ultra chewy cookies exploding with peanut butter flavor. They’re the most peanutbutteriest cookies I’ve ever tasted (technical terms here, of course). In fact, a couple readers have even told me that the cookies taste like the soft peanut butter inside of a peanut butter cup. Now how good does that sound?!

I have so many cookie recipes using my peanut butter cookie dough:

And I’m so excited to share another winner with you today.

Today’s cookies are my personal take on a traditional peanut butter blossom cookie, which are typically made with Hershey’s Kisses. I simply used peanut butter cups instead. Whenever there’s an opportunity for more peanut butter, just say yes.

They’re a snap to make! Simply mix up the peanut butter cookie dough, chill for about 1 hour, and roll into balls. I like to roll the cookie dough balls into a little granulated sugar. This gives them a little sparkle. It’s completely optional, though.

Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms by Soft-baked, thick style peanut butter cookies topped with Reese's peanut butter cups!

Bake the cookies for only about 8-9 minutes. The trick to their softness is slightly underbaking, so make sure you don’t keep them in the oven for too long. The cookies will be very puffy and soft-looking. That’s normal!

Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then press a peanut butter cup on top. I used both regular milk chocolate peanut butter cups and white chocolate peanut butter cups. If you can’t find white chocolate, no worries – just use regular. You could even try these with dark chocolate peanut butter cups if you can get your hands on them. Sometimes those are hard to find.

Quickly transfer the cookies to a paper plate or other freezer-friendly plate and freeze for about 10 minutes or until the peanut butter cup has set. Some of my peanut butter cups melted a bit into the cookies, which is completely fine. They still taste just as good.

I love how thick these cookies are! If you have any of these addicting little cookies left by day 3, you’ll be pleasantly surprised that they still remain just as soft. In fact, these cookies get softer as the days go by! They completely defy cookie science. And I love it.

If you love peanut butter as much as I do, you have to make these cookies. If you have a peanut butter lover in your life, you have to make these cookies. If you have any tastebuds at all, you have to make these cookies. Case closed.

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make. ♥

Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms

Yield: 20 cookies

Prep Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes (includes chilling)

Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes

Soft-baked, thick style peanut butter cookies topped with Reese's peanut butter cups.

• 1 and 1/4 cups (160g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (103g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup (185g) creamy peanut butter1
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature2
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar (for rolling, optional)
  • 20 Reese's Miniature Peanut Butter Cups, unwrapped

1. Toss the flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl until combined. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together on medium speed until combined. On low speed, beat in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla. Turn the mixer to high and beat until light in color and smooth. Turn the mixer to low and slowly pour in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined and a dough is formed.
  3. Cover tightly and chill the cookie dough for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory or else your cookies will spread.
  4. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Roll the cookie dough into balls, about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough each. Pour 1/4 cup granulated sugar into small bowl and roll each cookie dough ball in it - if desired. I like how the extra sugar makes the cookies look, but it's completely optional.
  5. Bake cookies, 10 cookies on each sheet, for 8-9 minutes or until very lightly browned on the sides. The cookies will appear very soft and undone, but trust me - they are. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Working quickly, press 1 peanut butter cup into the center of each cookie. Quickly transfer the cookies to a freezer-safe dish (I used a paper plate) and freeze for 10-15 minutes or until the peanut butter cup has set. Some of the peanut butter cups will melt slightly - that's ok.
  6. Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 10 days. You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Allow to come to room temperature and continue with step 4. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.

1. Room temperature egg is required for the cookies. General rule of thumb I use for my own cookie recipes: when using warm or room temperature butter, I always use room temperature egg as well. To bring egg to room temperature quickly, simply place in a cup of warm water for 5 minutes.
  2. Thick, store-bought peanut butter is preferred. If using natural style, make sure the peanut butter is thick and not oily in the slightest - which will make your cookie dough thin, slippery, and spread all over the baking sheet even after chilling the cookie dough. You need thick, non-oily peanut butter like Jif or Skippy.

These recipes MUST come next on your cookie baking list…

Soft-Baked Monster Cookies

Monster Peanut Butter Cookies

Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal Cookies

Peanut Butter Cup Oatmeal Cookies by

Ultimate Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies

Ultimate Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies

Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats (for the pups, of course!)

Homemade Peanut Butter & Bacon Dog Treats

Reese’s Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies

Reese's Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies. Soft, chewy, and overloaded with peanut butter!

See more peanut butter recipes. (there’s plenty!)

Soft-baked and peanut butter PACKED cookies topped with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup!-3

100 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms.”

Zainab @ Blahnik Bakerposted May 8, 2014 at 11:31 am

What a beautiful wedding and location. You look so beautiful!!! Gahhhh, you are going to make a gorgeous bride!! Can’t wait to see those photos. Ok focus on cookies and mission to face plant in these!!

Lauren Gposted May 8, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I love making these!! When I make them I put them in mini cupcake trays with the mini cupcake cups and do the peanut butter cups the same exact way after they come out of the oven. That way the peanut butter cup isn’t just sticking out of the cookie, its pushed into the cookie. I mean who doesn’t love peanut butter and chocolate 😀

Claudiposted May 10, 2014 at 9:05 am

I had to try these! As I couldn’t get peanut butter cups in stores here (Germany). I made them myself. I tried mini muffin paper liners and they got way too big but that doesn’t matter at all! :) I had to be very careful to put them into the cookies, and yes, they are awesome and mega delicious.
    Thanks for your fantastic recipes, Sally.
    Greetings from Germany.

• Sallyreplied on May 10th, 2014 at 11:07 am

So glad you tried them, Claudi – and with homemade PB cups too! Amazing. Thanks for reporting back!

Catherine Seeckposted May 11, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Where did you find white chocolate peanut butter cups?

• Sallyreplied on May 11th, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Sara Foxposted May 11, 2014 at 4:24 pm

It’s me again! I love peanut butter- so I was super excited to try this recipe out bc yours are never short of perfection :) My dough is currently chilling. I noticed that my dough wasn’t really doughy. It seemed oily! I specifically went out and bought JIF. Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten the creamy kind? Also, my dough color is a lot darker than yours! I’m really afraid of them spreading bc of the type of peanut butter I bought! Any help? Thanks in advance!!

Cate @ Chez CateyLouposted May 11, 2014 at 6:25 pm

This cookie reminds me of one that I loved growing up – it was a giant PB cookie, but there was a whole reese’s hidden inside the cookie!! I like these bite sized ones though – so delicious!! Your trip and the wedding look awesome!

Hannahposted May 13, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the amazing recipes you post… I really appreciate that everything is tasted and tested to perfection! Whenever I need a delicious dessert I come to this site as I trust the recipes.

Erinposted May 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Sally, these are so amazing! I made some on Wednesday, and had to make some more today! They are so delicious! I love all of your recipes! I haven’t made one recipe from your site that I haven’t loved! Thank you for all the delicious creations!

• Sallyreplied on May 17th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Thanks Erin! I know what you mean – baking two batches in a few days. That happens a lot with these cookies because they are so dang good!

Sarah @ cookathome.infoposted May 20, 2014 at 11:21 pm

BIG peanut butter fan – chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven and should be exploited wherever possible, in my humble view!

I noticed that most of your peanut butter cookies had a similar recipe, just different add-ins. If you were to make just a plain peanut butter cookie (no choc chips, peanut butter cups or anything), would you need to add more sugar or just leave the ratios as they are? I’m planning on making some PB cookies this weekend, and wanted to get your advice!

• Sallyreplied on May 21st, 2014 at 10:52 am

Hey Sarah! I usually just simply leave the cookie as is. It’s amazing on its own; no changes.

• Sarah @ cookathome.inforeplied on May 26th, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Yep – made them, ate them, loved them! Just by themselves, so soft, so chewy, even with a gluten-free flour blend. I have now found my favourite peanut butter cookie! Thanks Sally!

Melissaposted June 8, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Hi Sally…do you think this would work if I rolled the dough into a ball and then pressed the ball into the cavity of a mini muffin pan and then baked and then place the pb cup in it? I make a cookie similar to this but I find it a bit dry and i would like to try your version instead.

• Sallyreplied on June 9th, 2014 at 10:22 am

Definitely! I’m unsure of the bake time though. Enjoy!

Jennyposted December 8, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Hey! I want to start making all kinds of cookies for Christmas, how do we freeze cookies? Any way.. like ziplock bags…or using a gallon container from ice cream…?

• Sallyreplied on December 8th, 2014 at 7:26 pm

I always freeze in large ziplock bags.

Alyssaposted December 21, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Hooray! We have been fighting with these cookies for years now. The original recipe my grandmother used got so flat that they just looked silly…though tasted great. Then we found another recipe that was part vegetable shortening. Those were nice and puffy but the taste was lacking without all butter. We were ready to give up this year since they either tasted meh or looked completely silly (and have been making them for years). So this year, I saw this recipe pop up on my Pinterest feed and thought, “Sally won’t fail me!” And she certainly did not. So nice and puffy, so peanut buttery…just perfect. I may have underbaked them by a minute or two too much 😉 but they are great! And the whole family agrees. Thanks, Sally!

Stacyposted December 21, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Sally, Your Peanut Butter Cup Blossoms are the second cookie recipe my daughter and I made tonight and they are also AMAZING! (Breakfast Cookie being the !st recipe) Thank you so much for your yummy, easy to follow recipes. I have learned so many things with your helpful hints throughout your website that I’m happy to be able to pass on to my girls. Making memories in the kitchen with my daughters, priceless!

Donnaposted January 4, 2015 at 5:03 pm

OK so I have a problem with these cookies. I am one of those rare people who does not really like peanut butter or peanut butter cookies. Nonetheless, at holiday time, I usually make those PB cookies with the Hershey’s kisses for my peanut butter loving family and I always get the peanut butter cookies for them when the Girl Scouts come around. I do love cookies (a little too much) so the one thing I like about PB cookies is that I won’t eat them. However, since I’ve made your PB Cup Blossoms, MY FAMILY DOESN’T WANT ME TO MAKE ANY OTHER KIND OF COOKIE. I’ve made some of your other cookies and they loved them but these are their absolute favorites.

• Sallyreplied on January 5th, 2015 at 8:55 am

a good problem to have if you ask me. and you won’t be tempted to eat too many cookies! 😉 Thanks for reporting back Donna!

Lily Tposted March 3, 2015 at 9:07 pm

These are really good!!!!! I used Trader Joe peanut butter cups-fantastic!!!! they are a definite reorder!!!!

mkjuneposted August 18, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Would these work with Hersheys Kisses too? Thank you! :)