Double Chocolate Chip Swirl Cookies.

Soft-baked and completely irresistible chocolate chip cookies swirled with chocolate white chocolate cookies. Say goodbye to your self control!

Soft-baked and completely irresistible chocolate chip cookies swirled with chocolate white chocolate cookies!

It’s the freeeeeeeakin’ weekend! And my bridal shower is on Sunday. :)

Question. Do you like these gold wedges for it? My dress it white.

By the way, my friend texted this to me yesterday. And it explains me (and you?) to a T. The kicker? I got her text while I was in Target buying a candle I don’t need. Oy.

So, I’m going to make today’s post short and sweet. If you are on a diet, please do yourself a favor and step away from the computer. You won’t resist these hypnotizing swirls.

This swirly cookie has been in the works since last year… when I first introduced peanut butter chocolate swirl cookies to my blog. Surely a reader favorite recipe right there.

Have you tried them? ↓ ↓

Soft Baked Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies by

Today’s confused cookie recipe combines two favorites. A rich, soft-baked chocolate chip cookie paired with an indulgent, rich chocolate white chocolate chip cookie recipe. The BEST of both cookie worlds.

Self control, you don’t stand a chance!!

They’re laughably simple. Roll two cookie doughs together. Bake. DONE.

Wham, bam, thank you ma’am.

Eat while warm. Melty chocolate everywhere. Have a glass of milk handy.

Chocolate on more chocolate. With white chocolate. And more chocolate. Told ya, these swirly twirly, ultra soft cookies are hypnotizing! Don’t they look like little yin-yangs?

I’m melting into a puddle of cookie love. Enjoy, my friends!

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make. ♥

Double Chocolate Chip Swirl Cookies

Yield: 32 cookies

Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes

Soft-baked and completely irresistible chocolate chip cookies swirled with chocolate white chocolate cookies. Say goodbye to your self control!

Chocolate White Chocolate Cookie Dough

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg1
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons (53g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoons (30ml) milk2
  • 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (202g) white chocolate chips

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

• 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg1
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch (aka cornflour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (202g) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Make the chocolate cookie dough: Cream the butter and sugars together with a hand or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom as needed. Beat in the egg and vanilla on high speed until combined, scraping down the sides as needed. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly mix it into the wet ingredients on low speed. The dough will be thick. Again on low speed, mix in the milk until combined. The dough will be sticky. Fold in 1 cup of white chocolate chips.
  2. Make the chocolate chip cookie dough: Cream the butter and sugars together with a hand or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides and bottom as needed. Beat in the egg and vanilla on high speed until combined, scraping down the sides as needed. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Slowly mix it into the wet ingredients on low speed. The dough will be thick. Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
  3. Cover both cookie doughs with aluminum foil and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory; the cookies will spread all over the place if the cookie doughs are not chilled. I recommend chilling for at least 4-6 hours for thicker cookies (as pictured).
  4. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line cookie sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Measure 1.5 Tablespoons of chocolate cookie dough. Roll into a ball. Take 1.5 Tablespoons of chocolate chip cookie dough. Roll into a ball. Press the two balls together between your hands and roll them into 1 large ball. Repeat rolling for each cookie. The chocolate cookie dough will get onto your hands, so wash/wipe them after you roll each cookie. It is important the chocolate cookie dough is chilled or else it will be even more messy.
  5. Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes. 11-12 minutes for a crispier cookie. The cookies will look very soft, puffy, and almost undone. Remove from the oven. With the remaining white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips you have leftover, press a few into each cookie. (This is just for looks and not required.) Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet as they will continue to "bake" and set up.
  6. Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.

1. Room temperature egg is preferred for both cookie doughs for easy mixing and even disbursement through each cookie. Good rule of thumb - when using room temperature butter, always use room temperature egg(s) unless otherwise specified.
  2. Any milk is ok - cow's (skim, 1%, 2%, whole), soy, almond, or coconut.

Chocolate cookies are my inside-out chocolate chip cookies and the chocolate chip cookies are THE chocolate chip cookie recipe. My chewy chocolate chunks would work as well!

Try these cookie jar favorites next!

Soft Cut-Out Sugar Cookies

Soft Cut-Out Sugar Cookies by

Soft-Baked White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies

White Chocolate Cranberry Cookie

Caramel Surprise Snickerdoodles

Caramel Stuffed Snickerdoodle Cookies |

The ULTIMATE chocolate chip cookie!

120 Responses to “Double Chocolate Chip Swirl Cookies.”

Jessica @ Sweet Menuposted June 29, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Gah! These cookies look AMAZING!

Sam @ Baking Made Easyposted July 2, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Wonderful! I love to make some of these for my family & friends!

Aaliyahposted July 3, 2014 at 9:20 am

On a lighter note, those gold wedges looked AMAZING on you (Looks like you had a lovely bridal shower!) and I am hopfully going to make these cookies today- have the butter sitting out to become nice and soft.
    I am sure they will be lovely jubbly! (I just really wanted to type lovely jubbly, I know it is really cheesy)

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingposted July 5, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Your wedding date is slowly coming up Sally — I’m so happy for you!! Your bridal shower looked like so much fun with your friends, and you looked even more gorgeous than usual. I bet Kevin was sad he couldn’t come along! 😉 But I’m sure he was okay since you probably left lots of sweet treats back at the apartment for him to nibble on while you were gone. If you left a plate of these cookies for me, I’d be the happiest girl alive — they look amazing!

• Sallyreplied on July 5th, 2014 at 7:39 pm

You would LOOOOVE these cookies Amy! And thanks for all the sweet words. I cannot believe how close the wedding is! I wish you could come. We should just elope in CA.

• Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingreplied on July 5th, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Weeeeeell, if you can’t convince Kevin to elope in California (who wouldn’t want to?? it’s so gorgeous here in September!), then… Maybe I can convince my mom to give me some of her frequent flier miles to visit Philadelphia again! 😉 😉

Kristinaposted July 7, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Sally, these are fantastic!!! I only had 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips, so I also used 1/2 cup of peanut butter chips. Super! I scooped both doughs using my OXO medium (1 1/2 T) cookie scoop. I let them chill and then smooshed them together.

I may leave the milk out of the chocolate dough next time just to see if they’re less sticky. After smooshing the first 6 together and putting them in the oven, I decided I would just bake the rest separately and avoid the hassle of rinsing my hands so many times. Then I tasted them and WOW! They were better than I expected. Needless to say, I smooshed the rest together. :)

My husband loves the larger cookies, but I prefer normal sized ones, so after smooshing them all together, I decided to half some of the dough balls by cutting them in half and reshaping them. That worked fine and we’re all happy. Well, my son doesn’t like peanut butter, but I had 7 extra scoops of the regular chocolate chip cookie dough, so he gets to eat those.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for the recipe!!

Melissaposted July 9, 2014 at 4:36 am

Hi Sally, I am from Singapore! Saw your recipe and decided to give it a try. It sure was fun doing it. Though the cookies didn’t turn out as beautiful. But, I had great reviews from my friends! And even had comments like (Not sure if I am able to say this) “Its even better then Subway!” So, I guess it was awesome! Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!

Celesteposted July 14, 2014 at 1:29 pm

These look amazing. I’m visiting my in-laws and would like to treat them to these! Are there any special instructions for high altitude? I’m at about 8500 feet. Thanks! :-)

dinaposted July 23, 2014 at 2:36 pm

fun cookies!

Virginia Gposted August 6, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I made the dough for these last night, but I’m going to have to wait until tomorrow night to bake them! I was surprised by how wet and sticky the doughs were compared to typical chocolate chip cookies, but now that they’ve been in the fridge overnight, they’re pretty solid. Hope they look half as pretty as yours when they’re done!

• Virginia Greplied on August 7th, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Made the first tray of them, and they turned out perfectly! I have two suggestions: 1) Make the chocolate chip dough first, then the white chocolate chip dough. This allows you to avoid cleaning the mixer between batches. If you do it the way it’s listed, your chocolate chip dough will get dirty looking. 2) Roll all the half-balls of chocolate chip dough and then all the half-balls of the white chocolate chip dough. You won’t have to wash your hands between them. Then re-refrigerate. If you work fast, you can roll together a bunch of the halves before your hands get dirty, and then you can just wipe them on a towel and keep going. I would never have the patience to wash them each time.

Christina Landposted September 15, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Hey Sally!! No yellow cake mix around the house tonight so birthday cake cookies for another day… so late tonight I’m trying this recipe! New House, New Stove….Convection available…. when to use it? I like soft chewy cookies and I do not EVER bake crispy cookies…. so to use or not to use and if so… temp and time variations? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on September 16th, 2014 at 11:45 am

Hi Christina, for convection – I suggest lowering oven temperature by 25 degrees and baking for a minute or two less.

Taniaposted September 17, 2014 at 12:57 am

Quick! Advice needed urgently. I just made the chocolate chip batch. Was about the start on the next one and realised I forgot the brown sugar :( :( are they ruined?? Do I have to start again!! And if by a lovely chance they’re not ruined… Should I put the brown sugar in the next batch or leave it out of that one too. Grr I’m so annoying!

• Sallyreplied on September 17th, 2014 at 10:01 am

Hi Tania, the cookies will not be sweet enough and their texture will be off. I suggest you start again. I always lay out all of the ingredients I need before beginning. Helps me to not forget anything. Enjoy!

Bukolaposted September 22, 2014 at 11:47 am

Can I substitute Margarine for butter? What quantity?

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Butter is best – I never recommend margarine for butter in my cookie recipes.

Amandaposted September 30, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Hi Sally! Just wanted to let you know that I absolutely LOVE all of your recipes and I am so glad to have found your website! You have a great gift! And also, I did the chocolate white chocolate chip cookie dough but batter didn’t come out as thick as the chocolate chip batter. Please help! Thank you again!

Stephposted November 24, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Hi! I really want to try this recipe but quick question can I use salted butter instead of unsalted? Thanks!

PS: Your cookie recipes are AMAZING :)

• Sallyreplied on November 24th, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I suggest decreasing salt by 1/4 teaspoon in both doughs if using salted butter.

Jennposted December 15, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Hi Sally! I wanted to say I love all your recipes but I really need your help… I’m making the double chocolate chip swirl cookie again but this time the chocolate cookie dough is too soft or wet this time for some reason. I measured exactly and made sure I didn’t over pour on the flour too… Is there anything I can do or add to thicken up the dough?

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Hi Jenn, I suggest chilling the chocolate dough for a little longer so it becomes firmer.

Lauraposted December 18, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Just wanted to write a comment and say that I made these last night and YUM!! They turned out exactly how they look and what you said. I made the dough and chilled it for a little over 2 hrs. I followed the directs exactly (minus the room temp eggs because I completely forgot..only human). These are delicious and a huge hit at work with all the cookie critic co-workers. This is going into my “keep” recipe box!! Thanks!! YUM!

Linseyposted December 19, 2014 at 6:57 pm

So I made these yesterday and today. I messed up by adding milk to the regular choc chip dough and didn’t add enough butter, BUT they still turned out great!!! Can’t wait to give these to my family/friends! Thank you!

Dawnposted January 27, 2015 at 9:31 pm

I’ve got to say these are the best cookies I’ve ever made and I’ve made hundreds of cookies! Thank you so much for this recipe! Followed directions exactly and they turned out perfect! Now I can’t stop eating them :)

Danellaposted March 6, 2015 at 1:18 am

Hi Sally
    I found your blog a few weeks ago and I haven’t stopped cooking. Not good for the waistline. I made your double chocolate swirl cookies and I found them really soft and they stuck together in the container. Not sure what I did wrong but they were super yummy still. Any suggestions? I left the dough in the fridge for 4 hours.

• Sallyreplied on March 6th, 2015 at 6:36 am

Hi Danella! I wonder if the cookies were *too* underbaked. How do they taste? How about baking them for an additional 2 minutes.

• Danellareplied on March 6th, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Ok thanks. They were slightly brown so I thought they would be cooked enough as my husband likes soft biscuits rather than crunchy. I will have to try again.

Annaposted March 9, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I made these but substituted the regular chocolate chip cookies with your peanut butter cookie recipe. OMG soooo good!!! This is my new favorite site! I have yet to try a recipe on here that I haven’t liked!

KJandJposted March 12, 2015 at 8:06 am

You are certainly right about the importance of chilling the doughs!!! My two boys and I made these in a little bit of a rush and had a huge (still delicious) chocolatey mess! We’re going to try them again next week and will be making the doughs the night day before 😉

Carisa Sanchezposted March 19, 2015 at 9:48 pm

I love this recipe! And my family loves it too. My only question is what is a serving size? I want to indulge and have 3 cookies but I dont know if that will completely kill my diet. I made them about half the size. Any suggestions about serving size would help.

Shilpaposted April 13, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Hi Sally!

I love all how creative your recipes are! I just made the cookie dough for the yin-yang cookies of yours! But in a rush i forgot to put corn starch in the white cookie dough. I noticed it was not an ingredient in the dark cookie dough. How important is it? What effect will it have on the cookies? Because my dough is already in the fridge to be chilled and so i cannot add the corn starch! Hope they turn out okay! :(

• Sallyreplied on April 13th, 2015 at 6:54 pm

The cornstarch just gives them that extra soft texture. The chocolate dough is already quite soft. Your cookies should be just fine though.

Victoriaposted May 18, 2015 at 11:10 am

I made this recipe for a work bake sale (raising money for a local charity), and while every other baked good took the full week to sell, these sold out within 24 hours! Everyone loved them. The recipe says to chill at least 2 hours, but listen to Sally and chill for at LEAST 4 hours. The chocolate dough is the one that really needs the chilling; I’ve waited the 2 hours and had the chocolate side of the cookie end up too flat, which looked awkward with the thicker regular dough attached to it. It is worth the extra time to chill! Delicious recipe, Sally. Your recipes are the only ones I don’t read the comments for to make sure it will turn out well!

• Sallyreplied on May 18th, 2015 at 11:19 am

Amazing. Thank you for taking the time to report back Victoria!

Amandaposted May 31, 2015 at 9:55 am

hi there! it was my first attempt at baking and these cookies were wonderful! one thing left me puzzled though, i ran out of the chocolate dough way faster than the chocolate chip one. is this supposed to happen, or did i do something wrong? nevertheless, the cookies were perfect. thank you for sharing this recipe :)

Veronicaposted September 23, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Hi Sally! I made these cookies today for a family dinner and they were a hit. Everyone loved them and asked where I found the recipe. I of course told them that I found them here. These cookies were absolutely amazing and I honestly can’t get enough. I will definitely be making them for numerous occasions to come. I was just wondering, my batch was really soft and fell apart if I picked it up on only one part of the cookie, but I was afraid that if I put them in for longer that they might burn and become really crunchy. Is there any way that I can avoid this for future batches to come?

• Sallyreplied on September 24th, 2015 at 7:51 am

Veronica– so glad these were a huge hit! I’m not surprised. If you bake the cookies for 1-2 minutes more– they won’t be crunchy. These are such soft cookies already that a little more time won’t ruin the texture BUT will help them stay intact.