Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars.

Apple pie is my favorite dessert, but baking this classic dessert as bars is so much easier!

These Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars are mind-blowing delicious! So much easier to make than an entire apple pie, too. Recipe by

Happy 4th of July weekend! It’s officially been one year since I posted my most favorite dessert on the planet. If I had every single dessert on my blog on the table in front of me (can you imagine?! gluttony.) and could only choose one… this dessert would win. By a landslide.

Apple pie is my favorite dessert; it’s also an American classic. And to celebrate our country’s independence, I vow to make an apple pie recipe on the 4th of July every year. A new tradition to celebrate this patriotic holiday. And my excuse to eat apple pie things.

I have a confession. I made and shot these salted caramel apple pie bars 2 weeks ago and have made them 3 more times since. They are THAT good. Imagine a slice of apple pie, but better. A buttery shortbread crust. A brown sugary oat streusel. Gooey cinnamon apples. And silky smooth salted caramel.

…all in one.

By the way, I didn’t eat all three batches. Though after running 7 miles one day, I definitely wanted to. One batch was a hit at a book signing, another batch went to Kevin’s friends, and I froze the 3rd batch for a party tomorrow.

(I am so excited to dig into these.)

These apple pie bars are a cinch to make. A few steps and you’ll be ready to go. First, make a simple shortbread crust. Nothing fancy here! Butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, salt. Nothing more, nothing less. Simplicity is key when you are making shortbread.

The buttery shortbread crust is just like my favorite pie crust recipe, only easier. And perfect as the base layer for all your favorite bar desserts. I use this shortbread crust in a few of my cookbook recipes – I’ve heard nothing but great feedback. Plus, it’s easy.

Next, add the apples. Tons and tons and tons of ’em. Use your favorite variety. I like to use two different kinds for more depth of flavor. Think… a tart Granny Smith and a sweet Pink Lady. You’ll need two apples for the filling.

STREUSEL. Yes, I am a streusel cheerleader. I’m also a huge nerd for just typing streusel that way, but whatever. It’s a holiday, forgive my silliness. Brown sugar cinnamon oat streusel is the third layer on top of the apple pie bars. It’s a heavy layer.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: the more streusel, the better.

Delicious Homemade Salted Caramel by

Salted caramel is my love language. It also takes these incredible apple pie bars to a whole other level. Have you ever made salted caramel before? You must.

Make my recipe for simple salted caramel sauce and you will be a super hero in your family’s eyes. Seriously. This stuff is liquid gold. Dangerously good.

Be warned: your loved ones will have to pry the spoon from your hand. My good friend Megan made it about 5 times during the holidays last year. She gave it to friends and family as gifts. Wouldn’t YOU like to receive a jar of this stuff?

Pour it generously over the apple pie bars and get ready to dig in.

There is so much going on in these salty ‘n sweet caramel apple pie bars, that you will HAVE go back for seconds. But who’s complaining?! Happy 4th, everyone.

*Don’t be overwhelmed by the ingredient list. A lot of the ingredients are repeated in each layer.

Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes

Apple pie is my favorite dessert, but baking it as bars is so much easier! Load these apple pie bars with cinnamon brown sugar streusel and lots of salted caramel on top for a crowd-pleasing treat.

Yield: 12-16 bars

Shortbread Crust

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)

Apple Filling

• 2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced (1/4 inch thick)1
  • 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

• 1/2 cup (40g) old-fashioned oats
  • 1/3 cup (70g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
  • homemade salted caramel sauce (step-by-step photos included)

1. Preheat the oven to 300°F (149°C). Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on all sides. Set aside.
  2. Make the crust: Stir the melted butter, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir until everything is combined. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes while you prepare the filling and streusel.
  3. Make the apple filling: Combine the sliced apples, flour, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl until all of the apples are evenly coated. Set aside.
  4. Make the streusel: Whisk the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together in a medium bowl. Cut in the chilled butter with a pastry blender or two forks (or even with your hands) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
  5. Remove the crust from the oven, and turn the oven up to 350°F (177°C). Evenly layer the apples on top of the warm crust. It will look like there are too many apple slices, so layer them tightly and press them down to fit. Sprinkle the apple layer with streusel and bake for 30–35 minutes or until the streusel is golden brown.
  6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes at room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (or overnight). Lift the foil or parchment out of the pan using the overhang on the sides and cut into bars. I usually cut them into 16 smaller bars, but you can cut them into 12 larger bars. Once cut, drizzle some salted caramel sauce on top of each. These apple pie bars can be enjoyed warm, at room temperature, or even cold.
  7. Make ahead tip: The bars will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. You can freeze the bars for up to 3 months. Then, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving and drizzling with caramel.

1. I like to use two different kinds of apples for a more complex flavor. I typically use 1 tart apple variety such as Granny Smith, and 1 sweeter apple variety such as Pink Lady. You'll end up with about 3-4 cups. A little more or less is OK, based on your preference of filling.

Larger batch: Recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9x13 pan. Bake for 45 minutes and cool completely as directed in this recipe.

Try these similar recipes next…

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Glazed Apple Crumb Muffins – amazing, amazing!

Glazed Apple Crumb Muffins

Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes

Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cheesecakes

See more recipes with apples.

See more caramel recipes.

See more salty/sweet recipes.

Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars - click through for the recipe!

259 Responses to “Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars.”

Jessicaposted October 16, 2015 at 2:38 pm

These are delicious! I made them a few weeks ago for a family get together and plan on making them again this weekend! Thank you for this amazing recipe!

Nicola Williamsposted October 18, 2015 at 10:31 am

I think these look delicious. All my family get together for Christmas day. I am on desert duty and think this will go down a treat. I will make them a couple of days before and keep in air tight container in the fridge. Plan to eat them watlrm with either cream or ice cream. How long would I need to warm.them for in the oven? Should I cut them before chilling or warm the whole bake then cut?

Sherryposted October 18, 2015 at 10:51 pm

OMG…just made these for work tomorrow and of course I had to try one for quality control.  This recipe is a winner – mini apple pie bites!!

Nataliaposted October 20, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Do you know if it’s possible to substitute milk for the heavy cream in the salted caramel?

Melissaposted October 25, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Made these for our pumpkin carving party tonight! They were a huge hit and the salted caramel sauce was to die for!! Thanks for a great recipe!

Erin Cposted October 31, 2015 at 1:42 pm

These are awesome! Made a double batch last week, making another double batch today and expect that they will be devoured very quickly . . . Thank you!

Erinposted November 2, 2015 at 1:49 pm

This is ridiculously good! I made them for my husband to take into bible study but that will not be happening. :) they are too good!

Abbyposted November 3, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Literally one of the best desserts I’ve ever had. I made these for a Royals World Series watch party in KC and everyone is still talking about them and how delicious they were! These will be my go-to holiday party treat for sure!! Thank you for the recipe!!

Mandyposted November 7, 2015 at 7:30 am

These bars were terrible. I followed the recipe exactly. There is way too much crust which was hard. There are no where near enough apples and the struesel on top was DRY. There needed to be more butter in the struesel.  The whole thing is going in the garbage!

• Allireplied on November 18th, 2015 at 9:34 pm

I’m really sorry :/ but something must have been off too many people are having a great time with the recipie, try again?

Jillposted November 8, 2015 at 7:51 am

just a couple requests, “8 inch pan” is that square? 8 inches on all side?  Descriptions of how dough for base should look or feel would be great, I have made shortbread before, but the texture was very different.  Also, “2 apples” around how much should I end up with? 2 cups 3 cups?  Thanks, cannot wait to try it!

• Sallyreplied on November 8th, 2015 at 8:27 am

Jill, yep a square baking pan. 2 large apples is great, as long as they aren’t super small. The exact quantity doesn’t have to be perfect, about 3-4 cups. I like a lot of apple slices.

Danaposted November 8, 2015 at 1:13 pm

I made these last night as a “test batch” for next week’s office holiday bakeoff. I’m TOTALLY going to win. They were a HUGE hit with my friends. I followed the recipe for both the bars and the caramel almost exactly. I used 2 fuji apples because they were the freshest at the market, but when I make my “official” batch next week,I’ll follow one of the suggestions to do 1 sweet + 1 tart apple (like granny smith).

chrisposted November 10, 2015 at 3:54 pm

These bars are fantastic! I doubled the recipe and they turned out great. The drizzle of salted caramel really put them over the top. Perfect fall dessert :)

Amyposted November 12, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Being the typical baking college student I am, my spice cabinet is fairly limited. I have apple pie spice rather than nutmeg. How much of the apple pie spice should I use in place of the cinnamon and nutmeg?

Jenniferposted November 13, 2015 at 9:01 am

These look amazing! I just told my husband I’m making these for Thanksgiving instead of apple pie.

Sandiposted November 15, 2015 at 3:33 pm

I made these for a family gathering. My brother said to me, “You know how you never do what I tell you to do? Well you should NEVER make these again.” My nephew added, “No, NEVER. And if you do, you should give them to me so I can get rid of them.”

I’m not even a huge fan of apple pie and these are now one of my favorite desserts. The salted caramel is ridiculously easy to make. Thanks for the recipes!

Sarah Tposted November 17, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Hi! I’d love to make these for an upcoming gathering, but I know there will be someone coming with Celiac Disease. Do you think a gluten free flour blend would work?

Danielleposted November 21, 2015 at 1:54 pm

These are absolutely incredible. I made these last thanksgiving and the whole tray disappeared within several minutes of them being brought out. I’ve decided to make them for thanksgiving again this year since they were a huge hit last year; a total keeper!

Natalieposted November 23, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Hi Sally, I’m planning to make these for Thanksgiving this week! One question – can I skip the parchment paper and just serve them out of the pan? Thanks for the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on November 23rd, 2015 at 5:00 pm

They’re tricky to cut neatly right out of the pan. Best to use parchment to lift the entire pan of bars out all together and then simply slice into bars.

Michelleposted November 24, 2015 at 10:46 am

How big is the pan you are using?  I have an 18×13 sheet pan.