Soft & Thick Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Welcome to the one and only peanut butter cookie recipe you’ll ever need again.
The cookies are soft, thick, puffy, and will melt in your mouth. They are not hard or crunchy like traditional peanut butter cookies. In fact, they get softer on day 2 and day 3.
I’ve used this cookie dough for several of my favorite cookies:
You’ll never find another peanut butter cookie recipe quite like this!
makes 24-28 cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature*
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed. Mix in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla (in that order). Scrape down the sides as needed. Slowly mix in the baking soda and flour. Do not overmix. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough into a ball. Place onto ungreased cookie sheet or silicone baking mat. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Cookies will be soft and may appear undone. They will firm up as they cool.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Cookies stay fresh in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.
*You may use unsalted butter in this recipe. If so, add 1/4 tsp salt with the flour.
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
To make the Peanut Butter Hug Blossoms, simply make the cookies according the recipe, then press a Hershey’s Kisses Hug into each cookie when they come out of the oven. Quickly stick the baking sheet in the freezer or fridge so the warm cookie does not completely melt the Hershey’s Kisses Hug. Let the chocolate set (about 15 minutes) on the cookies in the freezer/refrigerator.