Simple and refreshing 7 ingredient ginger green citrus smoothie packed with flavor. And it doesn’t taste green!
Here’s a mid week pick-me-up for you!
How’s your week going? It’s been lonely in the house with the big Christmas tree gone, but I have to admit… I’m sort of loving getting back in the daily grind. I thrive on routine! I’ve shot 10 recipes in only 4 days, which is complete madness. We’re talking 300 pictures and a whole mess of food. Who wants to come over and help eat it all? I have a cake with your name on it. But first, green things.
In between all the hustle, I whipped up a new green smoothie. I make smoothies a few times every week, usually recipes that I’ve already shared with you on my blog. But this week I felt inspired to try something new. New year, new week, new smoothie? Something like that. A little fruit here, a little spinach there. I love this ginger green smoothie so much that I have to share it with you. Like, I’m putting all of the other 9 new recipes on hold just so I can show you this smoothie. Am I completely insane?
Don’t answer that.
First thing’s first. There are only 7 ingredients in this simple green smoothie! We’ll start with a frozen banana. I always have bananas in the freezer because they’re the secret to making super thick, creamy, ridiculously smooth…uh, smoothies. Sort of similar to ice cream. It’s miraculous. In case you haven’t tried it before, go grab a banana. Peel it, slice into chunks, and freeze. Your life is about to change.
We’ve also got an orange for flavor, some lemon for a little zip, apple for sweetness, and almond milk to thin things out. Feel free to use any milk you love, but I always opt for unsweetened vanilla almond milk in smoothies. Almond milk also keeps this smoothie dairy free, if that’s what you’re after!
Also: ginger. I love this stuff. I slice it up and add it to a pitcher of water along with cucumber and lemon slices. Sip it all day long. Talk about refreshing! Try it sometime. Ginger is also completely fantastic in smoothies, especially paired with a little citrus. Its feel-good, fresh flavor shines through and I think you’ll love it here!
Lastly, spinach. Just enough for a powerhouse nutrition punch, but not so much to make this smoothie taste like salad. There is so much flavor from the banana, orange, lemon, apple, and ginger that you won’t even notice the spinach, I swear.
This is a green smoothie for people who don’t like green smoothies.Print
Simple and refreshing 7 ingredient ginger green citrus smoothie packed with flavor. And doesn’t taste green!
- 1 banana, peeled then frozen*
- 1/2 apple, sliced
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 big handfuls spinach
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh ginger (or to taste– I use a little more, I love ginger!)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any milk)
- optional for smoothie bowl: the rest of the apple, raspberries, chia seeds, sliced banana
- Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender that will blend up the frozen banana and apple. I like this Ninja or this Vitamix.
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender in the order listed. Blend on high for at least 2 minutes or until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed.
- Serve and enjoy. Store any leftover smoothie covered in the refrigerator for up to 8-10 hours.
- Banana: Instead of banana, try using 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt with a couple ice cubes.
Keywords: ginger citrus smoothie, smoothie
Smoothie bowl style.