These lightened up pumpkin spice bars are mega moist, perfectly spiced, and simple to prepare. You won’t be able to stop at just one!
While incredibly delicious and perfect for the season, classic pumpkin bars are typically made with a heavy dose of oil and sugar– not exactly your wholesome snack of choice. Today, we’re putting a healthy spin on one of my favorite fall recipes and I’m excited to share these lightened up pumpkin bars with you. You’ll love the gooey, sticky, and sweet tops– each bite tastes like a muffin top + pumpkin pie combined!
These Lightened Up Pumpkin Spice Bars Are
- Super soft and moist
- Packed with pumpkin
- Perfectly spiced
- Made with a combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour
- Even better on day 2
- Easy to make and serve
- A nourishing fall recipe, just like my healthy pumpkin oatmeal cookies
Ingredients You Need
- Flours: A combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour gives us the best of both worlds– whole wheat wholesomeness and a light texture from all-purpose flour. If using solely whole wheat flour, the bars will be extremely dense and heavy.
- Spices: For cozy fall flavors, we use cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Both help the bars rise.
- Salt: Salt adds flavor.
- Eggs: 2 eggs add structure and bind everything together.
- Brown Sugar: A little sugar adds sweetness. Instead of brown sugar you can use coconut sugar.
- Pumpkin: Can’t have pumpkin bars without pumpkin! Plus, pumpkin keeps these bars moist and tender. Use fresh or canned pumpkin puree– and use any leftover in my pumpkin recipes.
- Milk: Milk adds moisture. Use your favorite dairy or non-dairy milk.
- Butter: A half stick of butter adds flavor and structure. You can use melted coconut oil instead.
- Vanilla Extract: Pure vanilla extract adds flavor. Try homemade vanilla extract.
Overview: How to Make Lightened Up Pumpkin Spice Bars
Today’s recipe makes a small 8×8 pan of 12 moderately sized squares. You can easily double this recipe if you’re baking for a crowd.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Do not overmix.
- Cut the bars into squares.
More Favorite Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts
Enjoy these easy lightened up pumpkin spice bars.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (spoon & leveled)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
- 1/4 cup milk (or almond or soy milk)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients until fully combined. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, and pumpkin together until combined. Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until *just* combined. Do not overmix.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely and cut into 12 squares. Bars remain fresh for up to one week stored chilled in an airtight container.
- Freezing Instructions: These bars freeze wonderfully– freeze them for up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.
Keywords: healthy pumpkin spice bars, light pumpkin spice bars