Peanut butter pie is rich and decadent, combining creamy peanut butter and sweet chocolate in each bite. This over the top dessert features a peanut butter Oreo cookie crust, peanut butter filling, Reese’s Pieces, and homemade chocolate ganache. It’s unbelievable!
There’s no flavor duo quite like peanut butter + chocolate. We’ve made chocolate peanut butter cheesecake bars, no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars, and chocolate peanut butter snack bars to name a few. My chocolate chip cookie layer cake is even filled with a chocolate peanut butter frosting! Today, we’re adding another recipe to the chocolate peanut butter mix: truly unbelievable peanut butter pie.
There’s a lot to cover, so let’s dive right in.
This Is Unbelievable Peanut Butter Pie
The layers! The textures! This might just be the richest dessert I’ve ever made. Today’s recipe is a new twist on classic peanut butter pie with a crunchy peanut butter Oreo cookie crust, colorful Reese’s Pieces candies, creamy peanut butter filling, and smooth chocolate ganache. It’s a peanut butter lover’s dream come true.
Here’s why you’ll love it:
- Totally indulgent
- Quick and easy to prepare
- Made with only 10 ingredients
- Tons of texture in each bite
- Perfect for birthdays and celebrations
- A great make-ahead recipe
4 Parts to Peanut Butter Pie
- Peanut Butter Oreo Crust
- Peanut Butter Filling
- Chocolate Ganache
- Reese’s Pieces
Though the written recipe is below, let me walk you through each part so you understand exactly what you’re doing.
Peanut Butter Oreo Crust
It wouldn’t be peanut butter pie without an Oreo crust, but let’s use peanut butter Oreos! Regular Oreos work just as well, but peanut butter Oreos add another layer of peanut butter flavor. Pulse the Oreos (the whole Oreo including the chocolate cookies and the filling) into a fine crumb, then combine the Oreo crumbs with a little melted butter. Just 2 ingredients, so easy.
Press the mixture firmly into a pie dish and bake the crust. I recommend beginning with this step so the crust has time to cool down before assembling. This is the only layer that requires baking– the rest of the recipe is completely no-bake! I love making this pie in the warmer summer months when our kitchens welcome a break from the hot oven.
Peanut Butter Pie Filling
This peanut butter filling is about as decadently rich as we can get. It’s made with just 5 ingredients including heavy cream, peanut butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract. You can’t really taste the cream cheese; rather, you truly just taste peanut butter. It has as much peanut butter flavor as these peanut butter balls and my peanut butter cookies.
You’ll begin by whipping the heavy cream into whipped cream. In a separate bowl, mix the other 4 ingredients together, then gently fold the whipped cream into the peanut butter mixture. The result is a creamy, airy peanut butter filling.
Chocolate Ganache Topping
You only need 2 ingredients for the chocolate ganache topping: chocolate and heavy cream. You’ll simply pour warm cream over chocolate and stir. Use a quality chocolate because it’s where all of the flavor comes from. I would avoid using chocolate chips– use the real deal. Pure chocolate never lets you down. Never! See my chocolate ganache page if you need extra help with it.
You’ll want to make the ganache before the peanut butter layer because it must fully cool down prior to pouring over the peanut butter filling. This time also allows the ganache to thicken, creating a fudge-like consistency when the pie is ready to serve.
Crushed Reese’s Pieces
You’ll find crushed Reese’s Pieces in two places– on top of the Oreo crust and sprinkled on top of the chocolate ganache. They add a little crunch, a little color, and that little something extra! Instead of Reese’s Pieces, try crushed M&Ms or skip them all together.
Like peanut butter cup tart, the only baking we’ll do is for the crust. Other than that, the refrigerator does all the work. The pie must set up in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours. Overnight would be wonderful, but I’ve made this peanut butter pie twice with just 5 hours of chill time. Peanut butter perfection each time.
Quick Peanut Butter Pie VideoPrint
The most unbelievable peanut butter pie! Complete with an Oreo cookie crust, Reese’s Pieces, chocolate ganache, this recipe is over the top in the best way.
- 24 peanut butter Oreos (or regular, Double Stuf is ok!)
- 5 Tablespoons (75g) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (180g) heavy cream
- 6 ounces (170g) semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
Peanut Butter Filling
- 3/4 cup (180ml) heavy cream
- 8 ounce (224g) block cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups (310g) creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup (90g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (200g) Reese’s Pieces, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 9-inch pie dish with nonstick spray or grease lightly with butter.
- Make the crust: In a food processor or blender, pulse the whole Oreos into a fine crumb. Stir the cookie crumbs and melted butter together, then press into the pie dish. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Allow to cool as you prepare the rest.
- Make the ganache: Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once it begins to boil, immediately remove from heat then pour over the chocolate. Stir gently until the ganache is smooth. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature. During this time, it will slowly thicken as well.
- Make the filling: Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Spoon the whipped cream into a bowl and set aside. Using the same mixing bowl (no need to rinse clean!), beat the cream cheese, peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract together on medium-high speed until combined. Mixture will be thick. Fold in the whipped cream until smooth. be gentle, you don’t want to deflate that cream.
- Sprinkle half of the Reese’s Pieces on top of the cooled crust. Spread peanut butter filling evenly on top, then spread ganache on top of filling. Sprinkle the rest of the Reese’s Pieces on top.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator for 5-6 hours or even overnight. Slice and serve cold.
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: You can get started on the crust in step 2 and the ganache in step 3. You can keep both in the refrigerator overnight if you’re getting started the day before. Cover both tightly. This pie can be frozen up to 3 months. It’s tasty frozen or you can let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Peanut Butter: Use a non-natural peanut butter like Jif creamy or Skippy creamy. I do not suggest using natural style or oily peanut butter; both cause the filling to separate and/or turn greasy.
Keywords: peanut butter pie