Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter.

The best homemade peanut butter is so easy to make. You’ll always want to have a batch around, trust me!

Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter - 1 ingredient, so simple! by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Let me show you how peanut butter is done. In less than 4 minutes. With 1 ingredient.

If you’ve been reading for awhile, you already know that I have a slight obsession with peanut butter. I tried to see how long I could go without eating it a few weeks ago. I lasted less than 4 hours. Who was I kidding?

For all my recipes, I typically use Jif Creamy. I grew up on Jif.  It’s my very favorite.  Recently, however, I’ve been making my own peanut butter.

It is SO good. So simple and so much cheaper by volume than storebought.  In less than 4 minutes, and with only ONE ingredient, you can have homemade peanut butter free of added oil, salt, and preservatives.

The recipe is so simple, I feel silly typing it out for you!

Try my homemade almond butter next!

PrintPrint

Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter

Makes about 1 cup of peanut butter. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

Ingredients:

• 1.5 cups honey roasted peanuts*

Directions:

Process peanuts until the nuts go from coarsely chopped to finely ground. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed. Process again until the peanuts resemble a thick and relatively smooth peanut butter. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

* You may add 1-2 tablespoons of a neutral tasting oil (canola oil, peanut oil) during the blending process to make the peanut butter is extra creamy. This depends on your taste preference and/or if you are concerned with calories.

* If you have a food processor like mine, this whole process will only take about 4 minutes.

I love making the following recipes with my homemade peanut butter:

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Granola by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothies

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie

Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

8 ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies - soft, chewy, simple, and gluten free!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

Chocolate Peanut Butter Lovers’ Granola

Chocolate Peanut Butter Lovers' Granola - an easy, healthy snack for those of us with a sweet tooth!

Breakfast Cookies

Breakfast Cookies

53 Responses to “Homemade Honey Roasted Peanut Butter.”

The Urban Ninjaposted April 5, 2012 at 7:11 am

OMG! I’m going to dive on peanut butter tonight! Love your blog Sally! Keep baking! :) *

• Sallyreplied on April 5th, 2012 at 8:47 am

i will! thank you so much

• Jamie John Burnhamreplied on November 29th, 2013 at 7:02 am

Absolutely fantastic. I saw this recipe and tried it. Then, I made my own with Cashew nuts, Macadamia nut with Honey butter. I think I’m well and truly addicted now. I’ve made it for a few people I know and I think they worship me now. Thank-you ever so much. I think I’ll be seeing other recipe’s of your too.

• Sallyreplied on November 29th, 2013 at 8:45 am

I bet your nut butter was fantastic!

Sweet Princess Styleposted April 5, 2012 at 7:47 am

I think we have the same blender!
    This homemade peanut butter is a great idea. It will definitely make me feel less self conscious :)
    Thanks for sharing!

• Sallyreplied on April 5th, 2012 at 8:48 am

i swear by this blender/food processor!

• Sweet Princess Stylereplied on April 5th, 2012 at 11:14 am

Me too! I use it all the time. I don’t know what I would do without it now! Seriously, it’s probably the best purchase I’ve made for my kitchen! :)

Moposted April 5, 2012 at 8:04 am

omg …you can make your own.. !??!! unfortunatly i don’t think the blade of my mixer would survive this :(
    I just ADORE peanut butter! being french, i discovered it quite “late” thanks to the movie “meet joe black” in which Brad Pitt tastes it for the first time. If Brad Pitt was doing it, I had to too ;-)
    I try not to buy too much of it though…so i don’t carry it around in my pocket with a spoon…
    But when i do I love to do the chocolate cupcakes with a peanut butter topping. Pretty classic.
    But i’m pretty sure anything covered in peanut butter would taste delicious !

• Sallyreplied on April 5th, 2012 at 8:49 am

great movie! and i LOVE your idea of peanut butter covered chocolate cupcakes.. nothing’s better than peanut butter & chocolate!

bigspender90posted April 5, 2012 at 9:07 am

I’m a bit of a weird one when it comes to dipping things in peanut butter, for example love dipping carrot or red pepper in it. Smarties are also amazing with a cheeky scoop of Mr Peanut on top, tastes just like a Reece’s piece!Love your peanut butter recipes :)

• Sallyreplied on April 5th, 2012 at 10:17 am

i LOVE carrots in peanut butter. by far, my favorite peanut butter “dipper” :)

Lizzieposted April 5, 2012 at 9:41 am

I can’t wait to try this :) I love this Bakerella recipe. Mmm Mmm mmm! They are such a perfect blend of peanut butter and chocolate.

• Sallyreplied on April 5th, 2012 at 10:26 am

ok Lizzie, i’m in love with this cookie recipe. i’m actually saving the recipe right now because i’m totally making them as soon as possible. yum! THANK YOU!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted April 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

I love that in four minutes you have this glorious PB to show for the time spent! Best use of 4 mins ever!

• Sallyreplied on April 5th, 2012 at 11:20 am

AGREED!

Choc Chip Uruposted April 5, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Now I need to try making this AND all your other PB creations :D
    How decadent!

Happy Easter!
    Choc Chip Uru

digintobooksposted April 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Love the idea of using honey roasted peanuts to make peanut butter! YUMM!! I don’t think I’d be able to stop eating that stuff. Recently I made Pecan Butter which is delicious!! Here’s the link: http://digintobooks.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/pecan-pie-butter/.

Jenniferposted April 5, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I too add chocolate to my peanut nutter… sometimes I even take a dark chocolate bar and dip it straight into the pb jar. Yum! Thank you for sharing!

Jenniferposted April 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Ahhh butter! Not nutter… But nutter butters on the other hand are good too.

Bakeaholicposted April 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I love to make my own peanut butter, almond butter and cashew butter when I go to gourmet grocery stores that have the machines that grind the nuts for you. Fun, fresh and delicious!

Reeni (@Reeni_Spice)posted April 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm

You should make peanut butter cups! Or peanut butter pie. Or peanut butter cookies. Heehee. I love peanut butter too! I go through stages where I can’t get enough and then I don’t eat it for a few days then I can’t get enough again.

• Sallyreplied on April 5th, 2012 at 8:52 pm

YES Reeni. i should make your peanut buter cup pie. it’s definitely on my recipe bucket list! god knows if i can make it look as pretty as the original though :)

Nicky @ Pink Recipe Boxposted April 10, 2012 at 9:49 am

Wow – I never knew it was that simple. I’m definitely going to give this a try. your peanut recipes look fab!

Cassieposted April 19, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I love making homemade PB. It’s the best!

Amanda Bievenueposted May 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I was going to make the homemade peanut butter! How long do you think it will be good for? I’m not sure how much to make!

Thanks!!

• Sally @ Sallys Baking Addictionreplied on May 1st, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I am going to say up to 3 weeks in the fridge. Mine did not last that long at all! It is very addicting :)

Try making the 1 cup that the recipe calls for first. You will eat it up quickly, i swear!

Elizabethposted June 9, 2012 at 11:01 am

I don’t think I’ll ever get enough of the PB and chocolate combo!

valposted July 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

I truly need to start making my own peanut butter. Thanks for always inspiring.

• Sallyreplied on July 24th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

storebought PB has NOTHING on homemade. Seriously, you have to try it Val!

Your Cookery Recipeposted August 6, 2012 at 11:20 am

Wow. I never tried to make peanut butter at home but after seeing your recipe. I’ll definatly try to make it. My kids love peanut butter on toast. Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on August 6th, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thanks! This is my favorite peanut butter.

Brittanyposted December 25, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Hey Sally, I love your blog and I’m so excited to make this peanut butter!! Just wondering how and how long you store the leftovers?

• Sallyreplied on December 25th, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Hey Brittany! I am so glad to hear that – store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. It won’t last that long, I promise. :)

Amyposted March 1, 2013 at 7:47 pm

How long does it last and does it have to be refrigerated? I want to try it for my kids to get them away from the processed stuff. Thanks

• Sallyreplied on March 2nd, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Hi Amy, I mention in the post that it has to be stored in the refrigerator and lasts 3 weeks.

Chef Rochaposted November 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Thought I’d share my own little obsession for peanut butter, but I use macadamia nuts!

The butter comes out much smoother in a food processor, and I add honey butter as an emulsifier, so to speak.

Also, one way to add unique flavors to a peanut butter, make your own roasted flavors using this trick.

Preheat oven to 325ºF. Whisk an egg white with any blend of seasonings you want, be it curry, white pepper, sea salt, or even pumpkin pie spice…as long as you add a table spoon of powdered sugar…..
    Whisk until frothy and then toss about a pound of your chosen nut(or blend there of) and coat evenly.

Scatter on a baking sheet and then roast in the oven, stirring quite often until fragrant and dry, about 20-25 minutes.

If you can avoid just popping these into your mouth, process them into an amazing and tasty nut butter!

Maggie @ Premier Foods and Farmposted January 20, 2014 at 3:34 pm

We tried peanut butter a few times when we were kids, but nothing significant. I am one who does not usually like peanut butter in anything but the jar (or a Reese’s or two), but I made a delicious peanut butter bar last week and had to keep away from the fridge for fear of eating more and more. Colour me shocked! :) But my honey and I were planning just a couple days ago to make our own peanut butter as it’s expensive here in Barbados. I’m on it now! Thanks! I’ll report back. :)

Mag

• Maggie @ Premier Foods and Farmreplied on January 20th, 2014 at 3:37 pm

That should have been “we tried MAKING peanut butter when we were kids”. :)

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Yes, I knew what you meant Maggie. I know you will love this homemade peanut butter. It’s hard not to!

Jenniferposted February 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Hey… does this end up being creamy. My favorite peanut butter is jiff creamy natural peanut butter. I used to love skippy..but then my aunt had me try jiff. . I never ever went back to skippy..even if it was on sale! Lol. If I want it creamier…could I add a little more honey? Does it give it a little sweet taste also…mm.. I cant wait!
    Jenny

• Sallyreplied on February 24th, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Hi Jennifer – yep, this is creamy as long as you process it for a good while. I like it sort of grainy, but process it for as long as you want to achieve a smoother texture. It really doesn’t need honey since it’s already so sweet from the honey roasted peanuts. Though you could add some if you wanted!

Jenniferposted February 25, 2014 at 11:55 am

Did you use the little ninja… I have that! So would b nice if I knew it would b turning out like yours :)

• Sallyreplied on February 25th, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Yep! My food processor/blender is a Ninja.

Alexposted March 28, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Hey Sally! I was looking through your vegan recipes and noticed this recipe. Although it looks absolutely delicious, I just wanted to give you a heads up that honey isn’t vegan : (. If you wanted to make this recipe vegan, though, you could easily use regular peanuts and add some agave nectar to them! Hope this helped!

Alex

Breeposted June 6, 2014 at 6:35 pm

When I made this it didnt go creamy :( i put in a little bit of oil but it didn’t help either. Any reason why Sally?

• Sallyreplied on June 7th, 2014 at 11:36 am

Were your peanuts dry roasted? Or did you use oily honey roasted peanuts? Either way, I’m surprised a little oil didn’t help. Perhaps another Tbsp will get things moving. Enjoy!

Saul clamenposted June 14, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I made what I consider a major discovery today I was looking for a recipe for peanut butter oatmeal cookies and I came across your recipe but more important was the process for making peanut butter. I have been buying peanut butter for more years than I care to reveal but have never found any as tasty as the P.B. that I made with your process . I will never buy P.B. again. Thank you very much .
    Saul

jamie leeposted July 30, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Hi Sally! So I know your obsession with raisins…have you ever considered {or will you??} making a cinnamon raisin peanut butter? There’s some company, can’t remember the name of it of course, that makes the white chocolate peanut butter, dark chocolate, and cinnamon raisin peanut butter but I can’t bring myself to pay for it. Clearly I could experiment withthis myself but I trust you waaaaay more than me. Please, please!! XO. Jamie Lee

• Sallyreplied on July 30th, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Peanut Butter & Company! They have the beeeeesssst peanut butter flavors Jamie Lee, you are right. I may just give it a whirl myself. Stay tuned ;)

• jamie leereplied on July 30th, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Yes, yes, yessss! That Peanut Butter & Co is so darn good. Definitely staying tuned. Or stalking. As always.

Shelleyposted July 31, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for your dedication to peanut butter. I just made the flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and they’re beyond amazing. I don’t think it even needs the small amount of sugar.

For the homemade peanut butter, can I use a regular blender like a Vitamix?

Again, thanks!

• Sallyreplied on July 31st, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Absolutely!

Shannynposted August 29, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I finally just made this today…WHY did I wait so long?!?!? OMG this is SO yummy I had to make a second batch because I seriously ate half of it after I made it.
    Thanks, Sally!