Soft-Baked White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies.

Perfectly soft and thick white chocolate cranberry cookies. One of my favorite flavor combinations ever!

Soft-baked White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies using a secret ingredient to make them super soft. Recipe by

Thanksgiving turkey is leaving me completely stuffed, but in my world… there is always room for another cookie.  Especially a cookie that is so ultra soft, it tastes like a famous Mrs. Fields cookie or a Pepperidge Farm soft-baked cookie.

Overloaded with white chocolate chips and tangy dried cranberries, I’d like to say… come to mama you gorgeous softie!

A spin-off of my Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies, today’s cookie stands the true cookie test: remaining ultra-soft, even the next day.

What’s my secret? Cornstarch!  Yes, cornstarch.

Making your baked cookies soft, thick, and chewy has never been easier.  Add a touch of cornstarch to your cookie dough and prepared to be amazed.  Think about it: often used as a thickening agent, cornstarch gives your gravy, pie fillings, soups, and glazes a more bodied and full texture.  The same goes for your cookie dough – cornstarch will help your dough remain more compact during the baking process, leaving the cookies soft, thick, and puffy.

Look at how puffy it made my chocolate chip cookies!

Soft-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies |

Mixing cornstarch with all-purpose flour will give you cake flour; cake flour is a much softer flour than regular.  The lack of high gluten content in cake flour makes the texture of your cakes and pastries much lighter.

While there is no cake flour in these cookies, you are getting the same soft-effect by mixing cornstarch with all-purpose flour. Moving along…

I adore white chocolate in cookies around the holidays. Well, I adore white chocolate cookies any time of year… but they are a favorite add-in when I’m doing my holiday baking.  Dried cranberries give the cookies a bright festive color and provide a tart flavor burst in each bite.  A soft cookie with a tangy punch of flavor. I like it!

White chocolate and dried cranberries are an impeccable combination, and these cookies are LOADED with both.  Told ya, I am a sucker for super chunky cookies.

Most important about this cookie recipe is the baking time. You must watch the cookies closely – I didn’t even leave the kitchen as they baked. Take the cookies out of the oven at a precise 8 or 9 minutes. The cookies will appear soft and undone in the centers, but will eventually firm up as they set.  Allow the cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet after you remove them from the oven.

Also important in this cookie recipe is the use of dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar. I swear by dark brown sugar in my oatmeal cookies – it gives the cookies a more chewy texture, less crispy texture. Light vs dark brown sugar is mostly interchangeable in dessert recipes.  But I find that dark brown sugar gave these cookies a rich aroma and unique depth of flavor.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I just love dark brown sugar in cookies!

Fresh out of the oven, these cookies are incredibly gooey – each bite will literally melt in your mouth.  I brought them into work and they disappeared within 30 minutes. At 9am in the morning!

Trust me, these cookies are irresistible!

Soft-Baked White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies

Soft, thick, and puffy white chocolate chip cranberry cookies. The cornstarch is the secret!

Yield: 2 - 2.5 dozen

• 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks to 170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch (aka cornflour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (135g) white chocolate chips
  • 3/4 cup (105g) dried cranberries

In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix on medium high speed until fluffy and light in color. Beat in egg and vanilla on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.

In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt together until combined. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick. Add the white chocolate chips and dried cranberries  mix on low for about 5-10 seconds until evenly disbursed. Cover dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. Chilling is mandatory for this cookie dough.

Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes-- if the cookie dough chilled longer than 2 hours, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This makes the cookie dough easier to scoop and roll. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. (Always recommended for cookies.) Set aside.

Once chilled, the dough will be slightly crumbly, but will come together if you work the dough with your hands as you roll into individual balls. Scoop and roll balls of dough, about 1 Tablespoon of dough each, into balls. Place 10 - 12 on each baking sheet. Bake in batches for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. They will look extremely soft when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. If the cookies are too puffy, try gently pressing down on them with the back of a spoon. They will slightly deflate as you let them cool. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.

Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months.

*Do not drop dough onto warm cookie sheets. Allow cookie sheets to cool completely between batches.

Some more favorite cookie recipes for ya:

Dark Chocolate Mounds Bar Cookies

Dark Chocolate Mounds Bar Cookies

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies

Brown Butter Pretzel M&M Cookies

Brown Butter Pretzel M&M Cookies

Soft Gingersnap Molasses Cookies

Soft Gingersnaps

See more cookie recipes.

White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies

236 Responses to “Soft-Baked White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies.”

Cherposted December 7, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Hi Sally! I made these last year and they were amazing. I’m planning to make them again this year, but I’m trying to replace cornstarch with arrowroot powder for my gluten-conscious friends. Would arrowroot provide the same result? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2014 at 6:49 pm

It should, yes!

• Cherreplied on December 11th, 2014 at 8:38 am

Wonderful! Thank you so much! :)

Alyssaposted December 7, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Hi Sally!
    First of all, I’m a big fan of your cookies recipes, because like you, I have a fondness for soft fluffy cookies over crispy ones!
    I’d like to make these for Christmas and I’d love to add some orange flavour. Instead of two tsp. vanilla, if I did one tsp. vanilla and one tsp. orange extract, do you think that would be enough orange flavour? Maybe with a little zest added in too? Or should I keep the two tsp. vanilla and just add a tsp. or two of orange?
    Thanks for you input! :)

• Sallyreplied on December 8th, 2014 at 9:25 am

I wouldn’t add zest. I think 1 teaspoon of orange extract will be enough. Taste the dough and beat in more if you’d like.

Aimeeposted December 8, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I don’t have any plain flour at home. Could I use self raising flour and not add the baking powder?

Lilyposted December 9, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe. This is my third year making these white chocolate/cranberry cookies for Christmas. They are always a hit!

Ireneposted December 10, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Hi, I have one batch of the cranberry white chocolate cookies chilling and I wondered if I could use golden Crisco instead of butter in my second batch? The dough tasted sooo good!

Janoraposted December 11, 2014 at 9:33 pm

This recipe is absolutely amazing! It was a hit for Thanksgiving and is now a family favorite! No one can eat just one. :)

Meganposted December 12, 2014 at 6:00 am

Hi Sally, I’ll be making these cookies for a holiday cookie swap this weekend. After reading the reviews and seeing your gorgeous pictures, I am feeling very hopeful! Do you have any suggestions for packaging these cookies? Thanks so much! Can’t wait to try them!

• Sallyreplied on December 12th, 2014 at 7:18 am

For packaging cookies, a nice cookie tin with a big ribbon around it is always lovely. Enjoy!

Cherieposted December 13, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hi Sally! I am an avid Christmas cookie and candy maker and I just made my first batch of your cookies. The cookies are delicious but a bit sweet — I was wondering if I should have just measured 3/4 cup dark brown sugar or should I have I packed 3/4 dark brown sugar. I don’t recall every using brown sugar in a recipe when I didn’t pack it but wanted to be sure I was adding to much sugar. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 14th, 2014 at 10:18 am

Hi Cherie! Yep, brown sugar is always packed in my recipes. You may try to reduce the sugar(s) slightly if you try them again.

Lorenposted December 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Approximately how many cookies does this make? I might have missed that part.

Fernanda Morrisonposted December 15, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Can we just scoop and drop for this recipe? Or do we really need to roll with the hands? If we can scoop and drop, which number cookie scoop do you recommend? The recipe looks great! I can’t wait to try it out! thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2014 at 5:50 pm

either is fine. use a 1 Tablespoon scoop.

• Fernandareplied on December 19th, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback! I am baking them today :-)

Natty natnatposted December 19, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Thank you Sally! These are truly the best cookies I’ve ever made. I found your recipe on Pinterest and I am a massive fan. -Natty.

Jessicaposted December 27, 2014 at 3:21 pm

I can’t find the recipe for these anymore ): am I totally missing the link or something?

Lindsayposted December 30, 2014 at 7:59 pm

The first time I made these cookies I followed your recipe exactly and they turned out magnificent!!!! However, today I made the same exact recipe, only instead of white chocolate and cranberries I used plain old chocolate chips and they never flattened out! They barely spread and got cracked on top. They still taste good but seem more cakey than chewy. Any ideas? I followed the recipe exactly just exchanged the chocolate chip type.

Anyaposted January 1, 2015 at 9:14 am

made these the other day for christmas – absolutely amazing, tasted delicious – just a quick question, is there a way to make these eggless? ive heard you can swap egg with milk but just wondering if this will work and how much would i need?
    Thanks :)

Ashtonposted January 2, 2015 at 1:58 am

I was having a late night craving and was lucky enough to have all the ingredients to make these cookies. Honestly, I wasn’t going to wait 2 hours for my dough to chill since I was craving them at that very moment and it was late at night. I didn’t chill my dough at all and they still turned out fantastic. These cookies are delicious and the best I’ve ever made.

Sarahposted January 24, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Love these cookies!! ❤️❤️❤️
    They are supposed to be doughy inside, right? It was still kind of doughy even after they had cooled for about 10+ minutes. Doughy is fine with me, just wondering if they are supposed to be like that.
    Do you have any more cookie recipes that involve cornstarch?

Mary Tposted January 28, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I made this recipe yesterday and baked them today; they are amazing, nice and soft and absolutely delicious. I followed the recipe exactly as written, I didn’t change a thing. I even bought new measuring cups and spoons to make sure I had the exact measurements. I left the dough in the refrigerator overnight; when I took it out this morning the dough was very stiff and crumbly. Not to worry; I broke off chunks and worked the dough in my hands like Sally says and formed a ball. I baked them for 9 minutes at 350 degrees and they were perfect. I did press them down a little, like Sally says, they can be a little puffy. This recipe is a definite keeper. I baked a different recipe for a white chocolate chip/cranberry cookie (not Sally’s recipe) at Christmas and they were hard as a board, embarrassing. I thought it might be the high altitude (I’m above 6,000 ft.). I’m so pleased that I found this recipe, full of flavor and soft. Thank you Sally; I’ve bookmarked your website!!!

Erinposted February 1, 2015 at 4:59 pm

I made these lovely cookies today. They are very delicious! I also posted about them on my blog and linked back here. Thanks for sharing. :)

Diandraposted February 5, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Oh my gosh….this cookies look so delicious! <3 I'm totally in love and I will definitely bake them soon *-*
    Will post them on my German/English blog then :)

Lovely greetings from Germany <3

Saraposted February 15, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Hi, Just made these – delicious! Also saved half the batch as rolled balls of cookie dough in my freezer – so I can just pop a few in when visitors drop in for tea!
    *I weighed each scoop of dough to about 30grams each – if that helps anyone :)

Kellyposted April 12, 2015 at 5:50 am

Agree with all posters: REALLY delicious! I doubled the recipe, but only used 21 TBS butter rather than 24 (= to three sticks). I thought it might have an affect on texture, etc, but it did not. I did use 1 large egg and one extra large egg because that is what I had on hand. I reduced the overall sugar as well, just a bit (by 50 g for the doubled recipe). I have never seen a recipe that included cornstarch! I will definitely check out your other cookie recipes! Thanks for a great recipe!

nicole perrerasposted May 1, 2015 at 9:36 am

hi sally! i’ve been an avid follower of your blog and i’ve tried a lot of your recipes. I’m just wondering why every time i make the white chocolate and cranberry cookies, they turn out a bit greasy and so soft that they fall apart when you take them out of the pan. i’ve tried increasing the baking time by about a minute or so. sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn’t. should i increase the flour in the recipe? or do i just chill the dough longer?

• Sallyreplied on May 2nd, 2015 at 7:30 am

Hmm. Are you sure you are measuring everything appropriately? Are you at high altitude by chance? Or in a very humid environment? I suggest adding a little more flour or chilling the dough for longer.

• nicole perrerasreplied on May 2nd, 2015 at 10:14 am

yup i live in manila so humid is an understatement. hahaha… will try chilling the dough longer. thanks for the awesome recipe though! cheers to you :)

Jinaposted May 5, 2015 at 11:56 pm

I have been made lots of your recipes . However, most of them do not come out flat ar all, I usually have to flat them . I made this cookies twice today. First one chilled for 2 hours, and as usually didn’t flat , so I floated them, and after 11minutes, they are not anywhere golden brown . Once they cooled, they taste like uncooked in the middle. So I made a second butch, I decided not to chill at all, I made a ball before I put in the oven, after 12 minutes, they are not anywhere golden brown and come out as balls as well, so I flattened them again, don’t know what happened. Can you help me?

• Sallyreplied on May 6th, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I’m wondering if you are overmeasuring your flour? And from your description, the cookies seem underbaked. I would double check your oven temperature– use an oven thermometer. This is so important! This post should help you:

Richelleposted May 13, 2015 at 2:06 pm

These are just the best soft cookies!!! I love them!

Lynneposted May 29, 2015 at 4:42 pm

I just made these cookies but 1 Tbsp was misleading for the size. Why aren’t they flatter? Why don’t they look like the pictures?

• Shawnreplied on June 8th, 2015 at 10:34 am

I’ve made these cookies several times. And they turn out perfect everytime. The secert is weighing out the flour and sugar. Baking is a chemical reaction. If you have too much flour the cookies will not flaten. I work ed d in a bakery when i was in school we weighed everything out.

Angelaposted June 27, 2015 at 12:06 am

Absolutely delicious! These are some of the best cookies I think I’ve ever made and eaten. I did bake it for longer so they weren’t very soft, but that’s because I prefer chewier cookies. They had such a beautiful brown butter flavour, particularly around the edges, even though there’s no brown butter involved.

SallyJoJoposted July 3, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Thanks so much these are great!  Only thing I changed, is that I added some pecans and chilling for an hour was plenty.  These are a hit!

Rachelposted August 27, 2015 at 10:40 pm

These are just amazing! Full of flavour and the soft texture tops it off. I just have trouble deciding whether my cookies are done or still a bit under-baked.. But anyways, thanks for this great recipe! x

Heatherposted October 5, 2015 at 11:36 am

Hi! I loved these as is, but was hoping to add oats. I love oats and dried fruit and still want a chewy cookie. Should I sub some oats for the flour, or perhaps use an oatmeal cookie recipe of yours and just add the chocolate and cranberries? What do you recommend? Thanks!

parul guptaposted October 23, 2015 at 2:35 am

Hey Sally
     I am a fan. I love your recipes esp pineapple upside down cake. It’s best on this planet and my family is crazy for it. I just wanted to know that in this recipe you have added cornflour. How do you decide that whether to add cornflour or as a matter of fact any other ingredient that alters the basic chemistry ? How do you make your own recipes? As in how do you decide what is to go in and in how much quantities? I am a novice but i wish to understand the basic chemistry of baking so I can make recipes of my own. I hope my questions makes sense now. Thanks in advance.

Happy Baking

Sending you love from India

• Sallyreplied on October 23rd, 2015 at 6:23 am

I simply like to add cornstarch/cornflour to chocolate chip cookie recipes– and when I use different add-ins in chocolate chip cookies (like white chocolate chips and dried cranberries). Cornstarch makes them super soft. For recipe development, that just comes with experience in the kitchen. Lots of trials/errors. I always start with a few basic recipes I have and work from there.

Lindseyposted October 30, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Hi Sally!
    I wanted to make these into oatmeal cookies.  How many oats would you add?

paniposted November 12, 2015 at 12:02 am

Tried different recipes before. By far the best! Thanks.:-)

Juliaposted November 20, 2015 at 1:33 pm

Another win Sally! These are SO good – didn’t change a single thing. I am physically restraining myself from going for another one. On a sort of sidenote, this was the first time I used silpats and what a game changer!

Debposted November 21, 2015 at 1:13 pm

They taste lovely but don’t look as pretty as yours. I teally wanted the cranberries and chips to show like yours as they are for a Christmas party. The cranberry and the chips don’t show as abundantly on the top of the cookie as your pics do. If I make them again I may have to add more cranberries and chips.

Gretaposted November 21, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Do you think I could sub the all purpose flour and corn starch for cake flour? Would it be the same amount?

Rachelposted November 25, 2015 at 7:29 am

I am going to make this cookie dough today and chill overnight so I don’t have a ton of thing to do thanksgiving morning. I was wondering how important a hand/stand mixer is? We just moved and sold ours and haven’t replaced it yet. Can I just use a wish or should I have my husband go pick me up one? Thank you!

Meagan Nuttposted November 25, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I can’t seem to find at what temperature it’s recommended to cook these at. Thanks!

Lauren Buckleyposted November 27, 2015 at 9:03 am

These were amazing! Simply divine. Tasted like they came from a bakery. I will use this base for all my cookies from now on. I’m going to try it with chocolate chips because my kids aren’t fans of the dried cranberries. Guess I’ll be eating the whole batch. :) thank you for this incredibly delicious recipe!

1. Pingback: white chocolate chip cranberry cookies.