Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies.

Super chewy and soft cookies flavored with delicious mocha and mint chocolate chip.

Chewy Mocha Mint Cookies

These ultra chewy cookies are inspired by two of my favorite ice cream flavors: mint chocolate chip and coffee. Have you ever combined the two? You should. Another fantastic combination inspiring today’s recipe is the glorious peppermint mocha coffee drink we enjoy during the holiday months. The combination of chocolate + mint + coffee makes me forget all about peanut butter. (kidding!)

I know how much you love my Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookie recipe. Trust me – they’re pretty awesome. I took the same exact cookie recipe and added a touch of instant coffee, a smidge of cocoa powder, and a truckload of Andes mints. Tons of minty goodness. I  Andes. The result? Chewy-chocolate-mint-mocha-coffee-soft-cookie-bliss, to put it simply.

Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies

What makes these cookies so darn fantastic? It’s a recipe I tested countless times – removing ingredients, adding ingredients. So many mistakes, so many trials and errors, so many cookies. Practice makes perfect, right?

Food Science / Nerd Alert

The cookies are super chewy. Chewy to the max – thanks to the melted butter and an extra egg yolk. Eggs are stabilizers. They moisten, bind, AND dry out cookies. How… and why? The yolks, which are mostly fat, add moisture. Egg whites are mostly protein, so they provide structure and can also dry a baked good out. You need the properties of both the yolk and the white in this recipe, plus an extra egg yolk for added richness and chew.

When creating this cookie recipe, I made sure there was enough flour in the dough to soak up all the melted butter. I couldn’t simply use less butter. You need all that buttery flavor, trust me! Whisking melted butter with your sugars (as opposed to creaming butter with your sugars) typically makes my cookies spread in the oven. However, using *just enough* flour to not dry out the cookies, but to soak up all the butter solves the spreading issue.

The cookies are super soft. Soft-baked heaven – thanks to the cornstarch and all the brown sugar. Did you know that a higher ratio of brown sugar to white sugar in your cookie dough will lend a softer cookie? That’s why there is, more often than not, more brown sugar than white sugar in my cookie recipes.

Chewy Mocha Mint Cookies on

I am a firm believer in cookie dough chilling. This step is so important! Chilling the dough allows the ingredients to settle together after the mixing stage. Most importantly, though – cold dough results in thicker cookies. This cookie dough will spread too much in the oven if you bake it at room temperature.  After you mix it up, cover the cookie dough and chill the dough for at least 1 hour.  This cookie dough doesn’t require chilling as long as my Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies because the dough is slightly thicker and less “slick” thanks to the coffee granules and cocoa powder. After chilling, let your cookie dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before rolling into balls and baking.

I like to slightly underbake my cookies for the softest texture. These cookies take about 11-12 minutes in the oven if you want them soft. If you prefer a crispier edge, try 13 minutes. All ovens are different though – you be the judge of when they are ready. The edges will be “set” but the centers will still look quite soft. The cookies will continue to bake on the cookie sheet when you remove it from the oven. I always let them rest on there for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Chewy Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies, plus the secrets to chewy and soft cookies! Recipe

These cookies stay soft for DAYS. We’re currently on day 3 and I feel like they are softer than day 1. The flavor? Amazing. The coffee flavor is slight, not overpowering like you’re drinking a mug of it straight. It compliments the mint wonderfully. Each bite truly tastes like a sweet minty mocha. And my gosh, are they buttery. Buttery, soft, and chewy. You’ll definitely need a large glass of milk to guzzle with these decadent cookies. Or, if you’re like me, a huge cup of coffee.

Sidenote: Pumpkin coffee is here (!!)

This is an easy, straightforward cookie recipe with no mixer required. No thinking or planning ahead. Mix up the dough by hand, allow to chill for just a little, and then bake. The ingredients are simple – make sure you buy instant coffee, not ground coffee – and you can use Andes Mint Baking Chips instead of chopping up Andes Mints like I did. You can skip the coffee, or use chocolate chips instead of mints.  It’s a forgiving recipe and there are so many ways to make the cookies truly your own!

Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Yield: 18 cookies

Soft, chewy, & thick mint chocolate chunk cookies with complimentary hints of chocolate and coffee in the dough. Cookies stay soft and fresh for 7 whole days at room temperature. Cookies may be frozen up to 3 months. Rolled cookie dough may be frozen up to three months and baked in their frozen state for 12 minutes.

• 2 and 1/4 cups (280g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 Tablespoon instant coffee1
  • 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk2
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 cup Andes Mint Baking Chips or chopped Andes Mint bars

1. Toss together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt, cocoa powder, and instant coffee in a large bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a medium size bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the egg, then the egg yolk. Finally, whisk in the vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft. Fold in 1 and 1/4 cup Andes Mint pieces. They may not stick to the dough because of the melted butter, but do your best to have them evenly dispersed among the dough. Cover the dough and chill for 1 hour, or up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory.
  3. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and allow to slightly soften at room temperature for 10 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 325F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
    Roll the dough into balls, about 2 Tablespoons of dough each. The dough will be crumbly, but the warmth of your hands will allow the balls to stay intact. Roll the cookie dough balls to be taller rather than wide, to ensure the cookies will bake up to be thick. See this post for more clarity and a photo. Put 9 balls of dough onto each cookie sheet. Take the reserved 1/4 cup of Andes mint pieces and press on top of the dough balls for looks, if desired. Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked. For a crispier-edged cookie, bake for 13 minutes. The cookies will continue to bake on the cookie sheet when you remove them from the oven.
  5. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  6. Make ahead tip: Soft cookies like this are the best make-ahead recipe because they stay tender in an airtight container for 7-10 days. For longer storage, freeze baked cookies for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator before serving. Freeze unbaked cookie dough balls for up to 3 months and bake for an extra minute or two in the oven. Do not thaw.

1Instant coffee is not ground coffee. It has been roasted, ground, brewed and either spray-dried or freeze-dried. Ground coffee comes from roasted coffee beans and has not been brewed. Instant coffee is found in the coffee aisle and is great for baking. If you don't like coffee, simply leave it out.

2Room temperature egg + egg yolk are preferred for even disbursement. Typically, if a recipe calls for room temperature butter, it's a good idea to use room temperature eggs as well. To bring eggs to room temperature quickly, simply place the whole eggs into a glass of warm water for 10 minutes. What to do with your extra egg white? Make these, these, these, or these.

Today’s cookies began with the same dough from my very popular Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies - learn the secrets to making them extra soft and thick!

It’s also the same dough I use for my Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies.

The ultimate sweet & salty treat! Thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies stuffed with gooey caramel and topped with sea salt. @sallybakeblog

If you like Andes Mints, try my Soft Andes Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies.

Slightly similar to today’s recipe, but without the mocha taste.

Soft-Baked Andes Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies

See more mint chocolate recipes.

123 Responses to “Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies.”

Nutmeg Nannyposted September 7, 2013 at 10:58 am

Mocha mint!! Oh my, this looks and sounds divine :) I love this recipe!!

Ninaposted October 4, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Hi! I was wondering if I could use Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa for the unsweetened cocoa. On one of your other posts one of the ingredients were unsweetened cocoa and you stated that you used Hershey’s Special Dark. Do you think I could use it for this recipe too?

• Sallyreplied on October 4th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Yep, you may use hershey’s dark for any of the recipes on my blog calling for unsweetened cocoa powder. Enjoy!

Karen Yorkeposted November 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Hi. This flavour combo sounds amazing. Does anyone know what the UK equivalent of Andes Mints / Andes Mint baking chips is?

Jacquelineposted November 8, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I made these on Tuesday and they were fantastic!!! My husband loved them so much that I’m prepping my dough now to make another batch!!! I’m so happy to have found your blog as I’ve made one of your cookie recipes every week. My husband actually thought the Butterscotch Reese’s Pieces cookies were from a bakery since they tasted so good!! Thank you for such great recipes, I can’t wait to work my way through the list!!!

• Sallyreplied on November 8th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Love these AND the butterscotch reese’s pieces version too. Let me know what you make next! Thanks Jacqueline.

Andreaposted November 16, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Sally, I’m a huge fan but I personally can’t have anything corn (=no cornstarch), any suggestions for a replacement in your recipes? Thanks! :)

• Sallyreplied on November 17th, 2013 at 9:30 am

Hey Andrea, you can leave the cornstarch out altogether in this cookie recipe.

Amandaposted December 3, 2013 at 11:17 am

Question – how many cookies does one batch make?? Can’t wait to try these!!

Amandaposted December 3, 2013 at 11:18 am

AHHH! Nevermind – found the number!

Katyposted December 13, 2013 at 10:39 am

Hi, Sally. I LOVE these cookies! My new favorite. I’m baking them for my holiday party at work next week. Can I double the recipe? Or will that mess with the baking science? Might be a silly question, but I love these so much, I wouldn’t want to mess them up! Thanks!!

• Sallyreplied on December 13th, 2013 at 11:29 am

Hey Katy! Not a silly question at all. I’ve doubled the recipe with success. Enjoy!

Shannon @ Bake.Frost.Repeat.posted December 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I’m very excited to make these. I have made these my cookie of choice for my upcoming cookie swap. I made the dough last night and now it’s sitting in my fridge chillin’. I”m counting down the hours until I can leave work and start baking!

• Sallyreplied on December 19th, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Shannon, these are a GREAT choice for the cookie swap. Hope they’re enjoyed!

Lexieposted December 20, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Commenting here because these are the most recent recipe of yours I’ve tried, but I just wanted to say that this is far and away my favorite baking blog. I love baking; I have approximately 0 free time, but I still always find a way to squeeze in some baking, because it just makes me and everyone else around me really, really happy. And whenever I’m looking for a do-able, delicious recipe, this is the first place I look.

I mean, I find recipes on dozens of different sites, and there are a couple others that I’ve found pretty fun and reliable, but I feel like half my baking comes solely from this blog. So far I’ve made…the Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies, Super Moist Carrot Cake, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge, Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies (at least 3 times), Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, Inside-Out Chocolate Chip Cookies, Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies, Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies, Soft & Thick Snickerdoodles, White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies, York Peppermint Patty Fudge Cookies, these, and probably some more that I can’t remember. Every single recipe has turned out amazingly. Most websites are hit-and-miss, but your recipes always have simple ingredients, simple instructions, and reeeeally delicious results. Everyone always loves anything that comes from this site.

This is a super long-winded comment, so sorry about that, but I guess I just wanted to say thanks for the fantastic blog and fantastic recipes, and keep doing what you do. :)

• Sallyreplied on December 21st, 2013 at 10:15 am

Hey Lexie! You have made so many of my favorites! Including the carrot cake, PB Swirl cookies, and the peppermint patty fudge cookies. You have good taste in desserts! I am so glad to hear that you love to bake. Bake when I had two full time jobs, it was hard to find time to do anything. But baking seemed to calm my nerves. Plus, sharing all the goodies and seeing the smiles – made me so happy. Just like you. Thank you for this amazing comment. My day is made.

Annaposted March 15, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Omg! I just made these with a little less coconut oil than the recipe calls for butter, and cut out the white sugar, and used about 2/3 cup splenda brown sugar mix and a a couple tablespoons of date paste…we don’t have Andes here in Canada so I used aero mint bubbles, but they turned out amazing!! so soft and yummy! I inhaled about 4 small ones already!! The light coconut flavor from the oil tastes so good with the mocha mint!! Wow, I wanted to take these to work on Monday for St Patrick’s day but I’m not sure they’ll last the weekend..haha should have made them tomorrow :)

kit looposted April 30, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Best recipe!

Yvonneposted May 26, 2014 at 10:17 am

Hi! If this uses the same recipe as the chewy chocolate chunk, then why does this look more cracked/dry? Is it because of the coca powder and coffee? Don’t get me wrong, it still looks absolutely delicious!!

• Sallyreplied on May 26th, 2014 at 10:24 am

I didn’t let the cookie dough chill as long, producing a crackled top. Enjoy!

Cherieposted July 9, 2014 at 10:02 am

Goodness.. I made a batch of these cookies, and they are the best chewy cookies I have ever made! :) Thanks for the recipe!

Tasha Wangposted September 4, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Hi Sally, I made your Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies and they were delicious! So moist, even on Day 5. My problem is that they spread instead of rise. I left in the fridge all night and did everything exact (except used two full eggs). Do you have any idea what I might have done wrong? Are they suppose to be thin cookies? Your help would be appreciated. – Tasha

• Sallyreplied on September 4th, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I suggest not using the entire egg – it adds more liquid to the cookie dough. You may also try adding another Tablespoon or 2 of flour.

• Tasha Wangreplied on September 4th, 2014 at 7:19 pm

thanks Sally, I can’t wait to try again with your suggestions. :)

• Tasha Wangreplied on September 15th, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Made this again without the egg white and being very careful with the flour measurements and it turned out perfect. Thank you so much for sharing. You are my hero!

Khateraposted October 5, 2014 at 9:52 pm

I just made these and followed the recipe, and directions as is and they were delicious! Thank you! My roommates devoured them.

Joyposted December 12, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Hi Sally, what would happen if I substituted instant espresso powder for the instant coffee? Would that still give me a mocha taste? Thanks=) I love your first andes mint recipe, tried it last year and already it’s become a tradition, I need to give these ones a try to!

• Sallyreplied on December 12th, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Yep you may use espresso powder!

Amy Aukerposted December 16, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Made these this week…. I think these are my new favorite cookie – ever. They are absolutely addictive. Mocha + Andes in the form of a SOFT-baked cookie – genius!

I have made dozens of your recipes and these cookies have to be the best, so far. My friends (and husband’s co-workers) thank you for your delicious recipes! I share your website constantly. Thank you for another yummy recipe!

Priyaposted April 28, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Hi, I just tried this recipe and it smells great BUT the cookies did not flatten out at all . I baked them for 3 mins longer. OMG they are wonderful. I added some cinnamon and doubled the coffee. thanks for the great recipe! :)

Taliposted September 20, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Help me, Sally!

When I was growing up in the 70’s, there was a little shop in town named Kelly’s Cookies. Kelly’s specialty was a mint chocolate chip cookie that was soft and chewy and amazing! The mint was a swirl of green sparkly goodness that had the consistency of a melted York patty. I’ve looked and looked for a recipe that has a mint swirl through it, but to no avail! Think you could figure out a clone?

PS… you rule!

• Sallyreplied on September 20th, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Now THAT sounds incredible! I have no idea how one would do that though? Would definitely require some testing. You might like these peppermint patty cookies— I use actual York peppermint patties.