Candy Bar Blondies.

Buttery, brown-sugared Candy Bar Blondies stuffed with all your favorites. Easy, quick, no mixer. |

Good morning! Today we’re taking a trip down memory lane.

About a year and a half ago, I posted a recipe for Candy Bar Blondies using my stash of leftover Easter candy. Have you made them? Probably not. I didn’t have many readers back then. Except for you, Mom.

Fast forward to this weekend.

I had two trick-or-treaters at my apartment on Halloween. Two. I’m not sure if it was Jude’s scary bark or the rain, but something frightened all my trick-or-treaters away.

Jude (a boy) was Tinkerbell. I opened my box of old Halloween costumes and the wings smelled the best to him. He makes a lovely fairy.

Jude anxiously waited to hand out Halloween candy in the early evening.

Anyway, practically no trick-or-treaters running to our door left Kevin and I with plenty of candy to eat ourselves. So naturally, I threw my little candy bars into a recipe. Par for the course, eh?

I know you must have a bunch tempting chocolate laying around too. Whether it’s piled up from the kiddos or leftover from Halloween night. Try to put down that Snickers bar and throw it into some blondie batter. It will taste so much better melted into a brown-sugared, buttery blondie.

Ha! Kidding. Snickers bars taste good no matter what you do with them. But they’re extra fabulous mixed with Butterfingers, Milky Way Midnights, and Twix bars. Or even thrown into cheesecake. (<– yes.)

I used my favorite blondie base for this recipe. If you love blondies as much as I do, then this basic recipe is one you MUST have on hand. A 5-minute recipe with no mixer or skills required. If you know how to microwave butter, you know how to make these blondies.

They’re undeniably chewy. Fantastically soft. Moist, lush, and dense. They’re flavored with brown sugar and butter, so you know they must be good, right?

I made these blondies for Kevin’s friends, who he met up with the other day. That is, of course, after I stole a couple for myself. Kevin calls blondies “tannies.” Because they don’t necessarily match my blonde hair; they’re more like the color of my non-existent tan.

Thanks, love.

The beauty of this simple recipe is that you can customize it based on the goodies you have on hand. Reese’s Cups, Almond Joys, M&Ms, Rolos, Baby Ruths, Kit-Kats, Heath, Nestle Crunch. I could go on and on and on, but now I’m just craving more chocolate.

(Do you know what the most popular Halloween candy is in the US? You can make them at home!)

If you don’t have any candy bars around, load the blondies with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate, caramels, or your favorite nuts. I think a caramel pecan blondie would make a perfect treat to add to the Thanksgiving table. :)

Seriously? That caramel! Don’t you just want to reach through the screen!!?

Candy Bar Blondies

Yield: 16 blondies

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes, plus cooling

This is my favorite blondie recipe. Use whatever candy bars or goodies you have on hand like chocolate chips or nuts. No mixer required, very little prep work, and unbelievable results. Soft, chewy, buttery perfection.

• 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (200g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup (75g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 and 1/2 cups assorted candy bars, chopped (I used Milky Way Midnight, Twix, Snickers, and Butterfinger)

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line an 8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the finished blondies out. (Or spray generously with nonstick spray.)

Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla together until combined. Add egg and mix well. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and stir together until *just* combined. Fold in the chopped candy bars. The batter will be very thick. Spread evenly into prepared baking pan.

Bake for 24-26 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Blondies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week.

Leftover chocolate candy? I got you covered.

Brown Butter Milky Way Oatmeal Cookies

Brown Butter Milky Way Oatmeal Cookies

Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Cheesecake Bars

Pretzel Crusted Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars

York Peppermint Patty Fudge Cookies

York Peppermint Patty Fudge Cookies

Rolo-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookies

Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies

Peanut Butter Cup Crunch Brownies

See more recipes using candy.

See more pictures of my little Tinkerbell.

127 Responses to “Candy Bar Blondies.”

Deeposted November 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hi, Sally. Since discovering your web site I think I may have gained a few pounds! lol. I just made these with Milky Way bars since my kids had full sized ones from Halloween and I chopped them up. I truly think these are one of the best bars I’ve ever eaten. They are beyond fabulous. Thank you so much for this recipe (although my thighs do NOT thank you!).

nazposted November 20, 2013 at 7:37 am

Hi Sally…..these look absolutely delicious. Was wandering if i could double up the recipe…would they still work out ok.

• Sallyreplied on November 20th, 2013 at 9:29 am

You sure can! Double all of the ingredients and bake in a 9×13 pan. I am unsure of the baking time, though. At least 35 minutes. Keep your eye on them.

Davidposted December 11, 2013 at 11:16 am

I made these with Reese’s piece, Milky way’s, and Twix – delicious! I also doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9×13 for a few minutes longer.

Thanks for the great recipe!

• Sallyreplied on December 11th, 2013 at 11:35 am

Oh that combination sounds SO good, David! I love Reese’s Pieces. Thanks for reporting back!

Aurelposted January 17, 2014 at 8:18 am

I honestly dont know what did i do wrong bc I’ve made these blondies twice but they still turn out to be cakey not that chewy. It kinda depressed me bc i hate something that isnt supposed to be cakey turn out to be cakey. This as well happen to my cookies too sally. Can you please help me out sally?

• Sallyreplied on January 17th, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Hi Aurel! It sounds like you may be overmeasuring your flour. Be sure to spoon and sweep, a method I explain here:

Also, be sure to stir the batter by hand. Do not use a mixer for this recipe, in case you are. Do not overmix, either. I hope this helps!

• Aurelreplied on January 18th, 2014 at 1:14 am

Yesi maybe overmeasured my flour or i overmixed it. Could over mixing it make it to be like cakey? If yes, i just know that. Haha, thank you so much sally! It really helps!

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventuresposted January 24, 2014 at 11:19 am

Your dogs costumn was so cute! These blondies look very addicting!

Alissaposted February 6, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Fabulous recipe :) I made mine yesterday with Snickers, Milky Way Midnight and a handful of Sno-caps… So delicious! I’m an “edges” kind of girl, and I’ve already eaten the perimeter of the pan! The recipe comes together so quickly and easily, so it’s definitely in my go-to rotation. Thanks for another great recipe!

Christinaposted February 18, 2014 at 2:11 pm

These were awesome. I used heath bar, resees, and rolos. Everyone at work wanted the recipe!

Cherylposted March 8, 2014 at 10:36 am

Tried this recipe this weekend and loved it! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes. Your photos are great and your site is beautiful! Thanks!

Shellyposted March 12, 2014 at 4:52 pm

OMG These are fluffin’ delicious!!

I have a secret…whenever I have a big test I have to study for, I bake these the day before and I HAVE TO eat them whenever I study otherwise i don’t function properly.

Weird? Yes. I know… but so delicious 😀 Thanks for the recipe!!

• Sallyreplied on March 12th, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Not weird at all! I love it. Whatever keeps you focused. 😉

JennyPposted March 17, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Sally, I swear, if I commented on EVERY recipe of your’s that I try, I would practically be a blogger, maybe a re’blogger? :) I made these over the weekend and they were phenomenal! I added chopped up twix, snickers, and milky way bars. This was by far the best blondie base I have ever made, and I’ve made a lot!! I also baked your 30 min pretzels today and we cannot stop eating them (will make them w/ the crab dip next..)! Finally, I received your cookbook the day it came out from amazon, and I honestly can’t choose what recipe to try first – they all sound (and look) amazing! I truly appreciate all that you do for this blog, and I will continue to try your many wonderful recipes on a near daily basis.

• Sallyreplied on March 17th, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Thank you so so much Jenny! What a very kind comment. I love all the comments you leave! These blondies and those pretzels are amazing. Love both recipes so much! Let me know what you try first from my cookbook. Can’t wait to hear what it is!

Alexposted May 4, 2014 at 9:08 am

I just made these today… and they were very delicious. I look forward to trying another recipe of yours!

Gayleposted May 18, 2014 at 2:37 pm

I make these all the time!!! So sorry for not commenting. My college son only gives me a rating of 8, because he eats the kit kats before I can chop them up. My team at school loves them as well. They bring me their candy. Ha! Sweet delish.
    Hoorah for you! We call them Sally’s…

• Sallyreplied on May 18th, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Thanks Gayle! That’s so great to hear/read. :)

Caitlinposted May 23, 2014 at 9:10 am

I made these tonight as an after dinner snack for my partner and I and they were delicious! I also sprinkled some quick oats and a lil’ dessicated coconut on top though which made the top nice and crunchy. Great recipe! Definitely going to try some others. :)

r.a.posted September 11, 2014 at 11:53 am

Another great recipe! Thanks Sally! I think you’re addicted to baking and I am addicted to your blog! 😉 Xx

deterposted September 14, 2014 at 6:19 pm

These are awesome!!! I have to go out and buy candy just for this recipe though, i have to admit i couldn’t get past the concept of “leftover candy”….. I don’t understand. Whats that?

Belleposted September 17, 2014 at 8:40 pm

OMG! These are terrific! I’m not a fan of blondies, but I make them for my husband. He liked the ones I’ve made before from other recipes — but he loved yours the best!

This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing!!

Danaposted October 16, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Oh dear me! Oh this might be my all time favorite dessert and it was SO easy! I used Kit-Kat, Snickers and Reece’s. DIVINE! Thanks for posting this on FB today!

Bethposted October 26, 2014 at 11:36 am

Made these last year and cannot wait to do it again the day after. Great recipe.

Audraposted November 4, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Could I sub the light brown for the dark brown sugar? Would they still come out good?

• Sallyreplied on November 4th, 2014 at 6:42 pm

that would be just fine!

Ellieposted November 4, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Hi, thanks for posting this wonderful recipe!! Just a question, if you have the time; would it be possible to add banana to this? And what ratio/amount would you suggest, if so?

R.Bposted November 21, 2014 at 4:42 am

Just made these with Twix. . Followed the recipe exactly. They are a little to chewy for my taste, too cake- like. If I went down on the flour, do you think that would help? Any suggestions?

• Brendareplied on January 25th, 2015 at 11:03 am

I cut the brown sugar in half and found they seem less chewy that way, and they are still a hit.

Carrieposted November 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Would I be able to make this recipe in a “brownie” pan? It has individual squares so the end product is essentially pre-cut. I am nervous about overcooking.

• Sallyreplied on November 26th, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Yes, but I am unsure of the bake time.

Stephanieposted February 13, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Do you have any tips for mailing blondies like these? I was thinking of making either these or a typical chocolate chip cookie recipe but using chopped up Milky Way Midnights instead. I wasn’t sure whether blondies or cookies would hold up better and also how to package them.

• Sallyreplied on February 14th, 2015 at 9:59 am

I always wrap up two blondies stacked one on top of the other or for cookies, sandwich them back to back and wrap the pair tightly in plastic wrap and put them into a tupperware to ship. Either blondies or chocolate cookies ship well.

Carsenposted February 17, 2015 at 12:20 am

These look amazing, and I’ve been looking for a good blonde recipe but do you think I would be able to add peanut butter into the batter somehow?

Maddieposted March 14, 2015 at 10:50 am

amazing! we make them alllllllll the time, so easy and so fun to change up. we have done butterscotch chips, Reese’s anything you could think of and everytime so delicious !

Jenposted March 29, 2015 at 12:01 pm

I agree with the other posters–By far the BEST blondie recipe I have ever tried! No matter what candy or other yummies I toss into the mix, the bars always come out with the perfect consistency of chewy, buttery, flaky goodness! As always, thanks for sharing with your fellow baking addicts, Sally:)

Cortneyposted May 6, 2015 at 12:01 am

midnight craving for something sweet always means blondies because they require only basic pantry ingredients. This is by far my favorite blondie recipe. I just made it for the first time last night and it is like one of the best things i have ever made.
    seriously delicious. i can’t stop eating them. i live alone and keep thinking i should bring some to my friends so i don’t eat them all, but i won’t because i don’t want to give any up! yum :)

• Sallyreplied on May 6th, 2015 at 12:53 pm

So happy you love these Cortney. Easy to make, easier to eat!

Lucyposted August 17, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I made these today with a friend and they were delicious! They were gooey and chewy, just how I like them, but my favourite part was the batter. :) I couldn’t stop scraping out the remains. Definitely my go-to blondie recipe. :)

Nicoleposted November 16, 2015 at 10:59 am

I made these for my husband last weekend, using his favorite bar… Twix. He took one bite and said it was in his top 3 desserts of all time. When I told him it was your recipe (since his #2 fave is your chewy chocolate chip cookies), he said, “That woman is a genius!” I just wanted to pass along that compliment. Thanks for such a quick and delicious recipe!

• Sallyreplied on November 16th, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Hahaha! Well, thanks for sharing your glowing review Nicole. :)