Ultimate Marble Cupcakes.

For when you can’t decide if you want a chocolate cupcake or a vanilla cupcake!

Ultimate Marble Cupcakes! Chocolate and vanilla swirled frosting on top of chocolate and vanilla swirled homemade cupcakes!

Tuesday was my friend Kristin’s birthday and Saturday is my friend Erin’s birthday. Going out tonight and Saturday night to celebrate my two best gals.

But first… cupcakes. Very confused cupcakes. Are they chocolate? Are they vanilla? Who cares! Have both flavors and eat them too because today you don’t have to choose!

It’s party time.

Marble Cupcakes by sallysbakingaddiction.com

I have a few kitchen-tested, reader-approved, very trusty cupcake recipes on my website. Two favorites? These vanilla funfetti cupcakes and these chocolate cupcakes. I knew I wanted to make one of them, but was having trouble deciding which. Kevin told me to just make both, but that sounded like too much work– even for bakeaholic me.

So I decided to jazz things up. Throw a curveball and surprise everyone with an irresistible medley of both chocolate AND vanilla. Ladies and gents, I bring you…

Ultimate Marble Cupcakes.

Homemade Marble Cupcakes by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Lucky for both you and me, these cupcakes are a snap to make.

What You’re Gonna Do:

First, you do NOT have to make a vanilla cupcake batter and a chocolate cupcake batter. Thank goodness! Rather, you’ll simply make my trusted vanilla cupcake recipe and add cocoa powder to part of its batter. Less dishes, less time, less headache!

The vanilla batter is all mixed together by hand in under 5 minutes. Once mixed, measure 3/4 cup of the batter and add to a medium mixing bowl with cocoa powder and a touch of milk. Since you’re adding more dry ingredients to this portion of the cupcake batter (the cocoa powder), you’ll need a touch of milk to thin it out.

The marbling part is not tricky at all. You’ll simply spoon some vanilla batter into your cupcake liners, then some chocolate batter, then some more vanilla batter on top. Take a toothpick and gently swirl it all together a couple times. I only swirled a few of my cupcakes because I wanted to see how each (swirling vs no swirling) turned out. The swirling looked the prettiest when baked up! Here are some visuals:

How to make Homemade Marble Cupcakes - get the recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

Now, let’s talk frosting. No cupcake is complete without it. If you’re anything like me, you like a little cupcake with a lot of frosting.

You’re going to make two frostings. My favorite vanilla frosting and my favorite chocolate frosting. There are a few options for frosting these cupcakes:

• Make both frostings and spread them each on your cupcakes however you’d like.
  • Make either the vanilla frosting or the chocolate frosting (double the frosting recipes below to make sure there is enough for all 12 cupcakes) and frost the cupcakes with a knife or piping tip.
  • Make swirled frosting using my How to Make Swirled Frosting page as a guide.

You’ll need a Wilton 1M piping tip and a piping bag if you choose the third option. All you do is spoon some vanilla frosting into one side of your piping bag and chocolate frosting into the other side. Then, pipe onto cupcakes in a swirl pattern:

How to Make Chocolate and Vanilla Swirled Frosting by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Again, here’s a page with more visuals to help guide you with the swirl frosting. I also include how I use the Wilton 1M swirl piping tip. If you’re ever curious about how I frost my cupcakes, that’s a handy page to read!

Ultimate Marble Cupcakes by @sallybakeblog

So there you have it. A simple one-batter marble cupcake with velvety rich chocolate and vanilla frostings on top. Buttery vanilla paired with swirls of chocolate throughout every super-moist bite. Does it really get any better than this? Oh yes, it does.

Top with a sparkly pink candle and celebrate your ultimate awesomeness.

Homemade Marble Cupcakes by sallysbakingaddiction.com

I can hardly wait for the birthday girls to taste their marbled treats!

*Don’t be overwhelmed by the ingredient list! A lot of the ingredients are just repeated for each part of the cupcake/frostings.

Ultimate Marble Cupcakes

Yield: 14 standard cupcakes or 28 mini

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes, plus cooling

Chocolate and vanilla marble cupcakes with chocolate and vanilla swirl frosting on top! These cupcakes are perfect for when you can't decide between a chocolate or vanilla treat!

• 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Vanilla Frosting

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 and 3/4 cups (210g) confectioners' sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons (30ml) heavy cream or half-and-half2
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • salt, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners and an additional pan with 2 liners. This recipe makes about 14 cupcakes. Set them aside.
  2. Make the cupcakes: in a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in sugar - mixture will be gritty. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 minute. Stir in egg, yogurt, 3/4 cup milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick. Transfer 3/4 cup of batter to another medium bowl. Mix in cocoa powder and 1 Tablespoon milk until combined. Chocolate batter will be extremely thick.
  3. Spoon 1 Tablespoon of vanilla batter into each cupcake liner. Top with a spoonful of chocolate batter, then more vanilla batter on top until all batters have been used up. At this point you may swirl the batters together very lightly using a toothpick or leave them as is, as I explained in the post. Bake the cupcakes for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Bake for 9-10 minutes if making mini cupcakes.) Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
  4. For the chocolate frosting: sift together the confectioners' sugar and cocoa powder to assure there are no lumps. Set aside. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy - about 2 minutes. Gradually add the sifted sugar/cocoa powder alternately with the heavy cream and vanilla. Beat on low speed after each addition. Once all added, beat on high speed until creamy and combined for at least 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
  5. For the vanilla frosting: With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy - about 2 minutes. Add confectioners' sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes. Add more confectioners' sugar if frosting is too thin or more cream if frosting is too thick. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
  6. Frost cooled cupcakes with a knife or with a piping bag/tip. If you'd like to just make 1 kind of frosting and not both, make sure you double the frosting recipe of your choice to make sure there is enough for all cupcakes. To swirl the two frostings like I did, here is how I made the swirl frosting. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you use on each cupcake.
  7. Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.
  8. Make ahead tip: Prepare cupcakes and frostings 1 day in advance. Keep cupcakes covered tightly at room temperature and the frosting covered tightly in the refrigerator. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.

Single layer cake: Simply layer the chocolate and vanilla batters into a 9x2 inch cake pan or 9 inch springform pan. Fill the pan 2/3 of the way full. There will be leftover batter for an additional cupcake or two. Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes.

1. Use any kind of yogurt you like - Greek, regular, vanilla, plain, nonfat or low fat. You can use any milk you like too - buttermilk, skim, 1%, 2%, almond, soy, etc.
  2. For the frosting, heavy cream or half-and-half will give your frostings the creamiest texture. You can use milk instead, keeping in mind the frostings won't be as creamy.

A few more cupcake recipes you’ll love:

Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting

Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting

Funfetti Cupcakes

You will never make boxed Funfetti Cupcakes again after you try this homemade recipe! sallysbakingaddiction.com

Death by Chocolate Cupcakes

My Favorite Chocolate Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Frosting

See more cupcake recipes.

Learn how to make the BEST homemade marble cupcakes. Easier than you think! sallysbakingaddiction.com

224 Responses to “Ultimate Marble Cupcakes.”

Josephineposted August 29, 2014 at 8:18 am

Hey Sally!

These look awesome, and any of your other recipes!
    Now I was wondering if you can substitute half of the butter for lets say coconut oil, or any other vegetable oil (coconut is just what i have at home right now).
    From experience I find that oil makes it slightly more airy and moist, but it hasnt worked in all recipes I used, and I wondered if you maybe you could give me some advice on these kinds of substitutes?
    And maybe you have some advice on a less sugary texture in buttercream? It’s not that its too sweet, but i just cant get it less ‘crunchy’ without making it impossible to pipe or lose sweetness..

Rashmiposted September 16, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Hey Sally,

When I read the recipe I instantly knew I will be making them. I just made them and they have turned just so awesome! Thank you for sharing :)

Hannahposted September 27, 2014 at 4:01 am

Cocoa power? :p
    Anyways, i made these and they’re so deliciously scrumptious. Thanks for the recipe, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Hahahahahaha. Thanks Hannah. 😉

Priyaposted September 28, 2014 at 9:33 am

Wow. Sally these were amazing. I just made them and I may have had 2 of them straight away. No frosting, the plain cupcakes were perfect as is. I substituted a bit of wholemeal flour for the plain, and they were still light, fluffy and super tasty. It is literally the perfect marble cupcake recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it.
    And congratulations on your wedding, you look so happy in the photos you’ve posted.

Carleenposted September 29, 2014 at 2:35 am

I’m wanting to use this recipe for a birthday cake for my son. Just wanting to check – is granulated sugar the same as caster sugar? Or is it grainier and just white sugar that you use?
    Thanks very much

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 10:18 am

Hi Carleen – I apologize for the delay responding, I was on vacation. Caster sugar is the same as granulated sugar, but it has been reduced to a finer grain. It *should* be ok in this cupcake recipe.

Vera Zecevic – Cupcakes Gardenposted October 7, 2014 at 4:00 am

Hi Sally, I’ve featured these awesome cupcakes on my blog, hoping that you don’t mind, but if you do, please contact me and I’ll remove it. All the best.

Karenposted October 8, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Sally – I can’t wait to try these. I’ve been making a ton of your recipes over the last year or so and everyone always thinks I’m such an amazing baker. Don’t worry – I don’t take the credit and I always tell them I got the recipes from your site!

Tanyaposted October 17, 2014 at 5:55 pm

These are beautiful! Can’t wait to make them for my daughters birthday party. Thanks for all the details on marbling. Can you substitute whole wheat pastry flour for all purpose?

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2014 at 6:16 pm

That would be fine, but the cupcakes may be a little heavy tasting.

Ayesha Khanposted October 22, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Wow ! Simply Amazing and Yummy Cupcakes I’ve tried so many times…these marble cupcakes :)me and my Family Members Like it too <3.. I Salute you SALLY :*

Laura Thomasposted October 25, 2014 at 10:48 am

I really want to make marble cupcakes, but I need to make 30! I have a favorite chocolate cupcake recipe as well as a favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. They have never failed me, so would it be possible to just make the 2 different recipes and combine them in the pan? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on October 26th, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I’m sure you could do that. Enjoy!

Kaeposted November 5, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hey Sally, can i omit the sour cream and yogurt and just use a full cup of buttermilk??

• Sallyreplied on November 5th, 2014 at 2:34 pm

That would be fine, Kae. Enjoy!

Micheleposted November 6, 2014 at 12:06 am

Do you think these would work as mini-cupcakes? Or not enough room to swirl?

• Sallyreplied on November 6th, 2014 at 8:48 am

These are great as mini cupcakes! A little hard to perfectly swirl because of the smaller size, but it’s doable. makes 28 minis, bake time is 8-9 minutes.

Davinaposted November 13, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Big huge thank you for this recipe. Just made myself Birthday cupcakes and they taste so amazing!!! Best buttercream ever! Davina

triciaposted November 15, 2014 at 4:00 am

Hi, Sally. What size cupcake liners do you use? 2oz or 3oz? Thanks. :)

• Sallyreplied on November 15th, 2014 at 6:46 am

typically 3 oz

Jessica C.posted December 8, 2014 at 11:40 am

Thanks for the pictures and instructions. I made the cupcakes last week and they came out great!

Dianaposted December 10, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I’m trying to bake from scratch for Christmas this year to give to loved ones and to my boyfriend and his boys, which is the part that makes me the most nervous since I’ve only baked from scratch once, if I don’t have a large egg would two regular eggs be fine?

• Sallyreplied on December 10th, 2014 at 3:27 pm

You may use 1 medium egg instead of 1 large egg. That should be ok for this recipe.

Jennaposted December 20, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Delicious and beautiful. But they did overflow a bit. Probaby could have made 15.

Lilyposted December 23, 2014 at 8:43 am

Hi Sally!
    I plan on making this as a cake and was wondering whether if I doubled the chocolate frosting it would be enough to ice the cake.
    Thanks for all the amazing recipes 😀

Avery Princeposted January 3, 2015 at 11:43 pm

I love marble flavored cakes and I would love the challenge of working out how to make these. Have you combined any other flavors together into other similar marbled goods?

Mariamposted January 13, 2015 at 11:04 am

I just made these today and I gotta say they were AWESOME! They are what cupcakes should be: sweet, light and moist. The sweetness of the vanilla cake goes beautifully with the hint of bitterness from the chocolate mixture. I made my family try them and sure enough they were all amazed. This is the first recipe I try here and I am sure coming back for more. Thank you <3 <3

Sondosposted January 15, 2015 at 6:03 am

Can i use any tip or the one you mentioned only ?

• Sallyreplied on January 15th, 2015 at 9:48 am

Any piping tip is fine.

Saposted January 16, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Does this frosting stay. I would like to use wilton 1 M tip for making roses

• Luisa Hernandezreplied on May 25th, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Yes! I just made these today and the frosting is pipeable and it does hold it shape. But for some reason if you live in a hotter climate you can always add an extra half cup of powdered sugar to thicken the consistency. :) Hope this helps.

Melissa Costonposted January 18, 2015 at 9:51 am

Can I use salted butter or is unsalted one of those necessary imgredients?

• Sallyreplied on January 18th, 2015 at 6:52 pm

You may use salted; reduce salt down by 1/4 teaspoon.

Aislynnposted January 30, 2015 at 1:37 pm

For this recipe, is it mandatory to have yogurt in the cupcake mixture?

• Luisa Hernandezreplied on May 25th, 2015 at 8:22 pm

I have made this recipe multiple times and if I didn’t have yogurt, I would use sour cream or greek yogurt. But if you don’t have neither, you can just substitute the yogurt for an extra  1/4 cup of milk. The yogurt however makes the cupcakes more moist.

Danitraposted March 14, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Hi! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Would it be possible for this recipe to be baked in a bundt pan as well? Or do you suppose it would not cook thoroughly ?

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2015 at 2:27 pm

It could, yes. But you’d likely have to 1.5x or double the recipe for a bundt pan. Not sure of the outcome, Danitra. I’ve never tried it before.

Maggieposted March 19, 2015 at 10:55 am

I made these yesterday for an upcoming baby shower and hands down this is the best cupcake I have ever tasted (and there has been a lot). I couldn’t scrape that bowl once they were in the oven quick enough. These will be a forever go to recipe. And super easy! I did add a little instant coffee powder to the milk you add into the chocolate batter. I don’t have anything to compare it to…all in all just fantastic!

Britanyposted March 19, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Dear Sally I love your recipes and enjoy making them. Do you think I can double this marble cakes recipe and prepare it in a bunt pan ? Thank you :)

• Sallyreplied on March 19th, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Hi Britany. Doubling the recipe will yield a little too much batter. You’d likely have to 1.5x or double the recipe for a bundt pan. Not sure of the outcome because I’ve never tried it as a bundt before. I simply recommend cupcakes or the single layer cake recommended in the notes.

Linthaposted March 20, 2015 at 4:46 am

Hey… i was just wondering.. can we use any neutral oil instead of butter for the cupcakes?? If so what would be the measurements??

Ashleyposted March 24, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Hi, Sally, I was just wondering if it’s possible to complete the cupcake part of this recipe without an electric mixer?

• Sallyreplied on March 24th, 2015 at 9:50 pm

You do not need a mixer for the cupcake batter.

Jennposted April 1, 2015 at 3:49 pm

I have a question regarding frosting in general, have you ever made a swiss meringue buttercream? I’ve noticed on a lot of your cupcake recipes, it is usually some modification of an American Buttercream and I was just curious what your thoughts were/are on a swiss meringue in terms of taste and texture.

Thanks again!!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I love swiss meringue buttercream but much prefer simple vanilla or chocolate frosting over it. Especially on cupcakes. I don’t have a perfected recipe for it at this time either.

• Jennreplied on April 1st, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Hi Sally! Thanks for your response. I’ve never made a swiss meringue and see that different recipes for it do differ quite a bit, I plan on trying my hand sometime in the near future. I just keep hearing about this silky heavenly texture so I feel have no choice but to test it out!

Thanks again!

Aneesahposted April 25, 2015 at 5:09 am

I plan on making these a day before and then icing them in the morning.
    Have you got any tips on keeping the cupcakes moist and fresh?

• Sallyreplied on April 27th, 2015 at 9:29 am

Just keep them covered tightly… that’s the best way.

Olivia K.posted April 30, 2015 at 11:15 pm

HEY SALLY! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your recipes! For this recipe, can I not use yoghurt? Or can I at least have a substitute? Thanks in advance!

• Sallyreplied on May 1st, 2015 at 7:20 am

Sour cream works too!

Lilianposted May 11, 2015 at 8:23 am

Hiiiee sally!! I really love ur recipes :* i tried this once but i changed the flour to cake flour since i only have that at that moment. The cupcakes didnt rise properly. Do u think thats the reason why?

Nikkiposted May 24, 2015 at 10:06 am

Hi Sally! I made these and they tasted great! But my marbling didn’t quite work. Instead, the chocolate batter sunk, so the cupcakes had a massive chocolate blob at the bottom. Did I use too much chocolate batter? Because you do mention that the chocolate batter is thicker than the vanilla batter, so it’s not really that surprising… Should I use more milk to thin the chocolate batter out?

• Sallyreplied on May 24th, 2015 at 10:43 am

Nikki, you could try to thin the batter out with a little milk, yes. Try to use a little more vanilla batter in each cupcake. Maybe you’ll have a little extra chocolate batter leftover to make plain chocolate cupcakes then. Enjoy!

Elizabethposted June 7, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I made these cupcakes a few weeks ago and they were a lot of fun, but I found they were dry.  Can you tell me what I would need to alter to avoid that in the future? It seems the review are primarily that they are moist so I think it’s baker’s error…..

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2015 at 9:44 am

Do you think you overmeasured the flour by chance? Always try to spoon and level. Meaning, do not scoop your flour. Spoon it into the measuring cup. This prevents it from packing into the cup, which often results in a dry baked good.

Kristinposted June 17, 2015 at 5:19 pm

These cupcakes are so delicious! I’m not really a cake or cupcake fan, but I definitely suggest these :)

Monicaposted June 21, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Hey, is it necessary to use an electric blender for making the frostings ?

Cynthiaposted June 24, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Love your recipe, just made it for my daughter birthday ….the recipe so good !! Thank you for sharing ….

Melissaposted June 26, 2015 at 8:39 am

These look wonderful!  I was hoping to bake the cupcakes inside plain cake ice cream cones so they end up looking like twist ice cream cones in the end.  Do you think that work work with this cake recipe?

• Sallyreplied on June 26th, 2015 at 1:49 pm

I can’t see why not!

quiannaposted June 30, 2015 at 11:25 am

Cant wait to try one of your recipes with real ingredients! For your yellow cupcakes you say cake flour is ok to use if you up it a little. Would the same hold true for these marbled ones? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on June 30th, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Yes! Cake flour produces a slighter softer cake crumb.

Ellaposted August 1, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I am 11 years old and love to bake! I am wondering if I could add pink food colouring to this recipie so I could have 3 colours a bit like the tidie cupcakes?
    I love your website and won’t your recipie book for my birthday. It’s my sisters birthday soon and I am going to make so many things from your website!
    Thanks Ella

• Sallyreplied on August 2nd, 2015 at 10:32 am

Pink food coloring would definitely be a fun addition!

Christinaposted August 16, 2015 at 11:32 am

Hi Sally, I tried the dual flavor frosting last week and it was amazing! im thinking of baking these again but with piped it into roses in cupcakes, will the frosting hold its shape or should I add a little more icing sugar? Thanks in advance!

• Sallyreplied on August 16th, 2015 at 11:37 am

Yes it will hold its shape, Christina. You can try adding just a small amount more of icing sugar, but I truly don’t think it needs it. Happy you tried and loved it!

bismaposted August 28, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I hope you are doing fine.Thanks for all the yummy recipies.
    I wanted to know if we can make these cupcakes without baking soda as I don’t have any available right now? Thank you!!

Ambika Soodposted September 30, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Hi Sally, thanks for an amazing recipe, was wondering if a ganache and vanilla buttercream swirl icing would work on these cupcakes? TIA

• Sallyreplied on October 1st, 2015 at 9:00 am

The ganache might not work properly to create an even swirling since it isn’t quite as stiff. But will still be remarkably good! Enjoy.

Laurenposted October 15, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Hi! Does this recipe scale up well? As in if I was making four dozen, would I be able to multiply the recipe by four and do it all at one time or would you recommend doing individual batches?

• Sallyreplied on October 16th, 2015 at 11:34 am

I always, always suggest making separate batches when it comes to cakes and cupcakes. When working with a greater volume of batter, you are more likely to overmix creating a dense, flat textured cupcake.

Ashleyposted October 16, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Can I substitute the yogurt for anything?

Francescaposted November 11, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I wanted to make this into a 2 layer cake (9in round pans). How much batter would I need? Also, would i batter each of the vanilla and chocolate frosting be enough? Also, should I just double the vanilla frosting and then add cocoa powder to half of it?? How much? Thanks!