Rice Krispie treats are a classic favorite of mine. Chewy, gooey, and highly adaptable – a blank canvas for adding in anything and everything your heart desires. You can make them with regular Rice Krispies, Cocoa Krispies, or even Reese’s Puffs. Throw festive sprinkles in them and you’ve got yourself an easy, quick treat to bring to any holiday party. Or jazz them up with some cake mix for a cake batter twist.
Whichever way I’m making them, I always always add in extra butter and marshmallows to make them super gooey. Less cereal and more of the good stuff, pleeeeeease.
Today I did somethin’ a little crazy with my Rice Krispie treats. First, I made a half-batch of peanut butter Rice Krispie treats. Creamy peanut butter + marshmallow + butter makes one stellar base layer.
Second, I secretly topped the peanut butter layer with mini Reese’s cups. You could easily used chopped Reese’s cups or leave this layer out entirely. But I loved the extra melty chunks of chocolate and peanut butter hiding inside. 😉
Third, I made a half-batch of Cocoa Krispie treats (made from Cocoa Krispies cereal). I LOVED the chocolate layer so much that I couldn’t stop. I topped it all with semi-sweet chocolate chips. And then I called it a day.
A peanut butter + chocolate explosion day.
It comes as no surprise that I charged up a class Rice Krispie treat with the world’s best little combo, peanut butter and chocolate. If you’re looking for an easy, yet decadent no-bake dessert that you and your kids would love, then you have to try these.
A smorgasbord of layers, textures, chew, and crisp. It was hard to stop at only one. 😉
Double decker peanut butter chocolate Rice Krispie treats are packed with texture and flavor. You’ll love the peanut butter cups hiding inside!
Peanut Butter Layer
- 2 and 1/2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows (approximately half of a 10 oz. package)
- 1 cup Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (or chopped regular or fun sized Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups)
- 2 and 1/2 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows (approximately half of a 10 oz package)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate/white chocolate)
- Line a 11×7 baking pan with aluminum foil/parchment paper. Generously spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Make the peanut butter layer: Melt the butter and peanut butter in a large saucepan over low to medium heat. Add the marshmallows and constantly stir until they are completely melted. Mixture will be thick. Remove from heat and add in Rice Krispie cereal. Mix together well. Press mixture into prepared baking pan. I used a spatula sprayed with nonstick spray to make the sticky mixture easier to press down. Top peanut butter layer with mini Reese’s cups. Set baking pan aside.
- Make the chocolate layer: Melt the butter in the same large saucepan over low to medium heat. Add the marshmallows and constantly stir until they are completely melted. Remove from heat and add in Cocoa Krispies cereal. Mix together well. Press mixture on top of the peanut butter layer. Press chocolate chips on top of chocolate layer and allow to set for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into 24 squares.
- Tip: I chilled the treats for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, let sit out for about 5 minutes, and then cut into squares.
- 13×9 Inch Pan: You may also try a 13×9 baking pan, which will lend thinner squares.
Keywords: peanut butter chocolate rice krispie treats