Made with butter, honey, and plenty of spice, sweet & spicy honey Chex mix is flavor-packed and super easy to prepare. Simply mix the sauce together on the stove, pour over some crunchy snacks, and bake until crispy and delicious. It’s easy to customize this snack recipe with mix-ins of your choice.
The best part of football season is definitely the food. It’s the only time of year when a meal out of buffalo chicken dip, stuffed jalapeños, and football shaped cookies makes sense. Throw slow cooker chicken chili in there too. A few other favorite game day snacks? Homemade cheese crackers, seasoned pretzels, candied nuts and crunchy roasted chickpeas. Football season, you’re glorious.
Tell Me About this Sweet & Spicy Honey Chex Mix
- Flavor: An abundance of bold flavors are what sets this homemade recipe apart from store bought Chex mix. For mega flavor, remember this – a great mix begins with an even better sauce. Butter, Worcestershire sauce, honey, and hot sauce make up the base to which we add plenty of spices.
- Texture: You’ll love how crispy and crunchy this snack mix gets after it’s baked and cooled.
- Ease: A little mixing, a little stirring…this is an easy snack with a big payoff.
- Time: It just takes a few minutes to mix up the sauce and then it’s all baked until the sauce seeps into every last crispy and flavorful square.
Can I Mix Things Up?
Of course! Don’t like nuts? Leave them out. Want more of that extra crunchy wheat Chex? Mix in with a heavy hand. Making seasoned pretzels for the same party? Maybe go easy on the pretzels in this recipe. This chex mix allows for all kinds of combinations and that’s the beauty of it.
How Spicy is This Homemade Chex Mix?
The hot sauce in the wet ingredients gives the Chex mix its little kick, but if you like really really spicy, add more chili powder after the Chex mix comes out of the oven. It’s easy to customize the spices to your taste buds. Regardless of your spice preference, you’ll love this homemade Chex mix.
More Favorite Snacks
- Seasoned Pretzels
- Soft Pretzel Bites
- Spicy Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Homemade Cheese Crackers
- Everything Bagel Pull Apart Bread
This sweet & spicy honey Chex mix is made with real butter, honey, and plenty of spices. Baked until the sauce seeps into every last crispy square, this mega flavorful snack is completely addicting.
- 9 cups (290g) Chex cereal (I used a combination of wheat, corn, and rice Chex)
- 2 cups (225g) mixed nuts
- 2 cups (100g) mini pretzels
- 1 cup (50g) bagel chips
- 3/4 cup (12 Tbsp; 170g) unsalted butter
- 6 Tablespoons (90g) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup (120g) honey
- 1/3 cup (80g) hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- optional: sprinkle of chili powder
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients (the dry snacks!) in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the remaining ingredients, except for the chili powder, in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the butter has melted. Pour over the dry ingredients and carefully stir to coat.
- Spread evenly on prepared baking sheets and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with a little chili powder (for extra spice, if desired), then allow to cool completely on the baking sheets. The Chex mix will crisp up as it cools.
- Cover tightly and store at room temperature for up to 2-3 weeks.
- Special Tools: White Mixing Bowls | Measuring Cups | Saucepan | Baking Sheet
- Make It Your Own: The dry ingredients are completely customizable. Don’t like nuts? Leave them out or replace with extra Chex or pretzels. Don’t have bagel chips? Leave them out or replace with another snack food you think would taste good!