Made with butter, honey, and plenty of spice, sweet & spicy honey Chex mix is flavor-packed and simply scrumptious. Customize this easy snack recipe with any mix-ins of your choice.
Adding another football food to the line-up: this is homemade Chex mix. Many of you may be wondering what’s the point of homemade Chex mix when there’s so many flavors of store-bought on the shelves? Well, they have nothing on this! Make this homemade Chex mix with real butter, honey, plenty of spice, and any mix-ins you deem worthy. Don’t like nuts? Keep them on the bench. Want more of that extra crunchy wheat Chex? Add them to the roster.
Baked until the sauce seeps into every last crispy square, this mega flavorful and positively addicting snack is positively undefeated.
Never in a million years did I think I’d be excited about football but I’m really just here for the food and I know many of you JUST GET THAT. It’s the only time of year when a meal out of buffalo chicken dip, stuffed jalapeños, and football shaped cookies makes sense. Throw slow cooker chicken chili in there too. A few of my other favorite gameday snacks? Homemade cheese crackers, seasoned pretzels, candied nuts, and crunchy roasted chickpeas. Football season, you’re glorious.
Sweet & Spicy Honey Chex Mix Sauce
Like all Chex mix recipes, a great mix begins with an even better sauce. This sauce is what you’ll pour all over the dry snackies and what makes Chex mix… Chex mix. Butter, worcestershire sauce, honey, and hot sauce make up the base of the sauce.
For the spark of flavor, you’ll also need:
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- salt + pepper
- a sprinkle of chili powder
Melt everything together on the stove, then pour over the dry cereal. This recipe makes extra sauce because we want extra flavor. Because no one’s ever complained about extra flavor in a bowl of Chex mix.
How to Make Sweet & Spicy Honey Chex Mix
- Combine all dry snacks in a large bowl.
- Make the sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine all remaining ingredients (except for chili powder). Stir until the butter is melted.
- Coat the dry ingredients.
- Bake. Spread the mixture onto a couple baking sheets and bake for about an hour, stirring every 15 minutes or so. After baking, sprinkle with a little chili powder for extra spice. The Chex mix will crisp up as it cools.
- Enjoy. Save me all the extra saucy burnt pieces please!
How Spicy is This Homemade Chex Mix?
I like sorta spicy and I like non-spicy. Not a fan of anything super spicy. The hot sauce in the wet ingredients gives the Chex mix its little kick, but if you like really really spicy, add more chili powder after the Chex mix comes out of the oven. Regardless of your spice preference, you’ll love this homemade Chex mix– simply customize the spices to your tastebuds.
It’s sweet + salty + spicy + crunchy + buttery. A winner in our family!Print
This sweet & spicy honey Chex mix is made with real butter, honey, and plenty of spices. Baked until the sauce seeps into every last crispy square, this mega flavorful snack is completely addicting.
- 9 cups (290g) Chex cereal (I used a combination of wheat, corn, and rice Chex)
- 2 cups (225g) mixed nuts
- 2 cups (100g) mini pretzels
- 1 cup (50g) bagel chips
- 3/4 cup (12 Tbsp; 170g) unsalted butter
- 6 Tablespoons (90g) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup (120g) honey
- 1/3 cup (80g) hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- optional: sprinkle of chili powder
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients (the dry snacks!) in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the remaining ingredients, except for the chili powder, in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the butter has melted. Pour over the dry ingredients and carefully stir to coat.
- Spread evenly on prepared baking sheets and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with a little chili powder (for extra spice, if desired), then allow to cool completely on the baking sheets. The Chex mix will crisp up as it cools.
- Cover tightly and store at room temperature for up to 2-3 weeks.
- Special Tools: White Mixing Bowls | Measuring Cups | Saucepan | Baking Sheet
- Make It Your Own: The dry ingredients are completely customizable. Don’t like nuts? Leave them out or replace with extra Chex or pretzels. Don’t have bagel chips? Leave them out or replace with another snack food you think would taste good!