To me, baking something quick means BARS. Brownies, blondies, rice krispie treats, you name it. Depending on the recipe, some bars are made in under 30 minutes with with no mixer required. And you usually don’t need to chill the dough or batter, either.
I love making these cookie bars because not only are they completely over-the-top delicious, but they save me SO much time in the kitchen because they start with a pre-made sugar cookie mix! To the mix, you may add whatever goodies your little heart desires. I usually use whatever extras I have laying around. Today I used mini peanut butter cups, peanut butter M&Ms, and chocolate chips.
For a homemade version, use my sugar cookie bars recipe and leave out the sprinkles. Add whatever add-ins you’d like.
These cookie bars bake up pretty quickly, so be sure to watch them right around the 20 minute mark. At exactly 25 minutes, they were done. They were lightly browned on top and pulling away from the edges on the sides. They have the tendency to get too brown and almost burn, so watch them CLOSELY while they bake.
Soft sugar cookie bars loaded with chunks of colorful chocolate and your favorite candy add-ins. Use a store-bought cookie mix or see my recipe notes for the homemade version.
- 1 package prepared dry sugar cookie mix (plus ingredients called for on the back of the package – for the Pillsbury mix I used, I had to add 1 stick butter + 1 egg) OR use 1 package pre-made refrigerated sugar cookie mix
- 1 cup peanut butter M&Ms
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini peanut butter cups (OR 1/2 cup chopped Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the called-for ingredients on the sugar cookie mix to make the dough. Once dough is prepared, mix in all of your mix-ins. Dough will be very thick.
- Press dough evenly into the prepared baking dish. Press any extra add-ins into the top of the bars.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. For neat, clean cuts, cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Add-Ins: Feel free to use any add-ins you have on hand. Try white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts, chopped candy bars, sprinkles, Reese’s Pieces, etc.
- Homemade Version: Instead of pre-made mix, you can use the dough from my homemade sugar cookie bars instead. Leave out the sprinkles, if desired, and add your favorite add-ins as called for in this recipe. Bake for 25-26 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
Keywords: sugar cookie bars