3 Ingredient Chocolate Bars.

I’m the kind of gal who prefers vanilla over chocolate.  It’s true! I’m a sucker for funfetti and vanilla frosting over devil’s food any day.

But today I bring you a chocolate bar that I could seriously eat everyday for the rest of my life.  And I wouldn’t even have to feel guilty about it because they are completely vegan, and have heart-healthy-shiny-hair-stress relieving fats from coconut oil. Read here for more health benefits of coconut oil.

sidenote: there is no underlying coconut taste in these bars. So even if you loathe coconut, no fret! You won’t be able to taste it.

These bars took me a 5 whopping minutes to make. Make sure to store these in the fridge because coconut oil is almost liquid at room temperature. Feel free to add more or less splenda/agave/honey.  Adjust the sweetness to your tastes. Using honey or agave will produce a smoother chocolate bar (though with honey they’d no longer be vegan).  Splenda makes the bars lighter in color and a bit grainy.  I didn’t mind it though! Go by your taste preference.

Vegan Chocolate Bars

This recipe is easy & quick. The dark chocolate bars are perfect for when you want something sweet!

Ingredients:

Directions:

Mix together melted coconut oil with splenda (or agave/honey). Add cocoa powder and stir well for at least 3-4 minutes. You want the mixture to be extra thick.  Pour into a parchment paper-lined flat container (I used a 5 inch square ramekin). Stick in the freezer until solid (about 30 minutes) and chop into pieces or bars. Store in the fridge, since coconut oil is almost liquid at room temperature.

Sally's Tip: If you do not wish to use artificial sweeteners to your recipes, give agave or honey (will no longer be vegan if using honey) a try instead of the splenda. Using agave/honey will produce a smoother chocolate bar.

from Chocolate Covered Katie

Another healthy way I like to eat my chocolate is my Homemade Chewy Fudge Granola Bars:

my Dark Chocolate Cherry Nutella Granola

and these Skinny Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies 🙂

Skinny Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies

115 Responses to “3 Ingredient Chocolate Bars.”

Kellyposted February 18, 2014 at 11:31 am

I made these for my honey for Valentine’s Day. He loves dark chocolate and loved these. They are not my favorite at the moment b/c we have the I guess unrefined coconut oil and everything we cook with it tastes like coconut. And I like coconut but imagine making scrambled eggs in it… Great recipe though. Thanks.

Charlene Woelfelposted March 6, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Hi, Sally! I made these bars this afternoon. They came out wonderfully! Thank you for the wonderful recipe. 🙂

Feliciaposted March 21, 2014 at 8:17 pm

This recipe is AWESOME! I have been trying to find something like this for so long. It’s simple, delicious, and healthy. I have been off sugar for a while now so it just makes all the difference to have a sweet fix to get rid of that chocolate craving 🙂 Definitely making again.

Natasha Saeedposted March 26, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Oh my god!The chocolate taste SOOO good and I’ve used them as chucks for cookies and they worked PERFECTLY! You are amazing for coming up with this! Thank you!!!!

Paulaposted April 4, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Love this recipe! I added unsweetened shredded coconut and dried cranberries to my first batch. My second batch I rolled into balls and coated with unsweetened shredded coconut…..amazing!

Tiandaposted April 10, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Hi I made these a couple days ago and they are absolutely delicious! Perfect for that time of the month! (Sorry for the overshare) haha. I was just wondering how long they are good in the fridge for and if I could cut them up into little pieces and use them as chocolate chips in a cookie recipe I have? Thanks again for sharing!

• Sallyreplied on April 10th, 2014 at 2:27 pm

They would be great chopped up to use in cookies, yes – make sure the bars are super cold before chopping and adding to the dough. These bars don’t last long in my fridge – I’d say about 1 week max shelf life.

• Tiandareplied on April 10th, 2014 at 3:21 pm

okay great thank you!

Danielleposted April 15, 2014 at 4:20 am

I’m so glad I tried this! I love dark
    chocolate, added 1/8 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Also chopped up some almonds to throw in. So delicious!

Virginia Greenposted May 2, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Hi Sally!
    I made these this afternoon with almost 1/2 cup honey and the rest pure grade A maple syrup for the sugar. I just tasted a piece (or 3) after letting them set in the freezer. As a major dark-chocoholic who has tried many different kinds of chocolate, I can honestly say these are my absolute FAVORITE and will be my new go-to chocolate! I can’t wait to try them as chocolate chunks in cookies!! Thank you for this amazing, healthy, fast and easy recipe!!!

Hannah W.posted May 10, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Just made these- WOW! Absolutely amazing! I added a drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of sea salt on top for a sweet-salty taste. Next time I’m thinking of layering in some sweetened shredded coconut and topping with almonds to make a kind of dark chocolate Almond Joy! Thanks again for such an addicting recipe.

Sarahposted May 22, 2014 at 10:57 pm

This is tasty. This is *really* tasty! You know what it is good with it? Fruit preserves. Cut up a few pieces, mix it up (say if you’re down to just the little bit of preserves left, right in the jar!). Chocolate fruity goodness.

Your recipe is the first Pinterest recipe I’ve made. Congrats!

Paulaposted June 9, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Hi,

I have made these twice and they are really yummy. However, they totally taste like coconut (which I expected and do not mind)! My mixture is never thick, even if I used more cocoa than the recipe states. I used half honey, half granulated beet-sugar and I just end up with a very thin plate of chocolate. Any idea what I might need to do different?

• Sallyreplied on June 9th, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Hi Paula! I always make sure to use refined coconut oil if I’m not looking for a heavy coconut flavor. I find it doesn’t taste at all like coconuts. I can’t imagine how to thicken it up without simply adding more cocoa and perhaps less oil?

Chantalposted June 28, 2014 at 4:35 am

I just made a double batch and added peanut butter….YUM!!! I love dark chocolate and this was amazing…it’s soo dangerous to know I can MAKE chcoolate anytime I like hehe. Thanks again for another excellent recipe! 😀

Guinposted September 27, 2014 at 7:54 am

Hi Sally! I am just wondering what the texture of these bars is. Are they quite hard, or chewy? I’d like to chop them into small pieces as an add-in for chocolate ice cream. Will they be very hard and crunchy in the ice cream? Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Depending how thin you make them, the chocolate bars are hard.

• pattyreplied on October 7th, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Sally
        do you know how many carbs or calories are in the vegan choc bars??

Janaposted October 13, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I would love to try these, but they can’t be carb free… How many carbs do they have?

Annaposted October 24, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Is Baking Cocoa the same as Unsweetened Cocoa Powder?

Enyaposted December 8, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hi! Just a question, will these melt easily if I take them out of the fridge? 🙂 How long do they usually stay solid at room temp?

mananposted January 8, 2015 at 6:44 am

can we put some chopped almonds

Tiandaposted February 1, 2015 at 10:57 pm

hi sally, i have made these before and they are absolutely delicious! i’m making some granola bars and my husband wants the chocolate on top but i have no coconut oil and can’t get any till friday so i was wondering can i use olive oil? i’m not going to be freezing the chocolate i’m just going to make it and then put a layer on top of the granola bars and put them in the fridge. Will it still work that way?

Stacyposted February 11, 2015 at 2:18 am

I am so incredibly happy with this recipe!!! I saw that one other commenter had considered adding peanut butter and you suggested about 1/4 cup… So I added 1/4 cup almond butter and it was phenomenal!!! I used agave for the sweetener which went well with the almond flavor. Your recipes are a huge blessing. Thank you for all you do!

Judyposted February 24, 2015 at 1:40 pm

amazing..delicious, easy and unbelievable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oliviaposted July 5, 2015 at 8:42 am

I just made these and omg I love it! I made mine with honey because it was handy and it tastes divine! It’s so hard not to eat the whole lot in one sitting!!!! Thank you Sally!

Arethaposted September 12, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Can I use this to make vegan chocolate chip cookies???

Amandaposted March 8, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe. I too tend to err on the side of vanilla. My husband, a chocolate fan. However, we both LOVE this recipe. It is a staple in our house. He is constantly asking for it. I add a little vanilla to add depth, but otherwise follow exactly. I even played around a bit and made it into fudge over the holidays. Huge hit! Thank you again!

Willowposted May 30, 2016 at 2:14 pm

Hey Sally. This looks really good. Can you use unsweetened cocoa powder?

• Sallyreplied on May 30th, 2016 at 3:19 pm