Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Lovers’ Cookies.

Soft-Baked, thick, & chewy Peanut Butter Lovers Cookies. Filled with all of your peanut butter favorites!

Peanut butter lovers rejoice!  I’ve got one insanely peanut butter-y cookie recipe that will take down even the most intense peanut butter craving.  Loaded with creamy peanut butter, mini peanut butter cups, peanut butter chips, and honey roasted peanuts… this cookie is not for the faint of heart.

This recipe bakes up extremely THICK, puffy, and soft peanut butter cookies.  I can assure you, this is one cookie recipe that will NOT disappoint.  It’s the same basic recipe I used for my Peanut Butter Sweethearts and Peanut Butter M&M Cookies awhile back.  Any reader who has ever written in about this peanut butter cookie recipe has told me they are hooked. And… so am I.

These cookies are nothing like the traditional hard, crunchy peanut butter cookies you are used to.  The exact opposite, in fact.  They are so soft that they will literally melt in your mouth.  A peanut butter cookie recipe GOLDMINE.

The cookies can be made in only ONE bowl.  Yep, only 1 mixing bowl is needed for the dough.  Hello easy clean up! I love that.

AND they are not overly sweet.  The entire cookie recipe only has 3/4 cup sugar.  There’s enough sweetness with all those add-ins, ya heard me? 😉

So I made these peanut butter overloaded cookies for a very specific reason yesterday. I had a massive peanut butter craving.  Like the kind of peanut butter craving that a spoon to the jar couldn’t even fix…!  I needed crazy, multi-layered, complex bites of peanut butter.  Peanut butter in all forms. Peanut butter from every angle. Peanut butter NOW.

My soft peanut butter cookie recipe instantly came to mind.  I grabbed all of the peanut butter-y add-ins I had in my pantry and went to town.

The honey roasted peanuts provide an amazing crunchy contrast to the soft cookie.  The super tiny peanut butter cups offer a little chocolate surprise in each bite.  And the soft, melty peanut butter chips only enhance all the creamy peanut butter in the dough.

This is one extreme peanut butter cookie. Needless to say, my peanut butter craving was satisfied after a couple of these peanut butter cookie bombs. I would say I’m all peanut butter-ed out for awhile, but I would never lie to you. 😉

Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Lovers' Cookies

Yield: 3 dozen small cookies

Soft + thick peanut butter cookies loaded with all your peanut butter favorites!

• 1/2 cup (115g) salted butter, softened to room temperature*
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup (185g) creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (160g) all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (64g) honey roasted peanuts
  • 1/2 cup (100g) mini peanut butter cups (OR fun size or regular size peanut butter cups, chopped)
  • 1/2 cup (90g) peanut butter baking chips

1. In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed.  Mix in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla (in that order). Slowly mix in the baking soda and flour. Do not overmix.  Fold in the peanuts, peanut butter cups, and peanut butter chips.  Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Remover dough from the refrigerator.  Allow the dough to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes so you can easily roll it. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drop chilled dough by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet or silpat.  Gently press down to slightly flatten. Bake for 8-9 minutes.  Cookies will be soft and may appear undone.  They will firm up as they cool.
  3. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy! Cookies stay fresh stored covered at room temperature for up to 7 days.

*If using unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the recipe.

For all my fellow Peanut Butter Lovers, check these recipes out!

Nutella Swirl Peanut Butter Banana Bread

Chocolate Frosted Reese’s Puffs Treats

Homemade Peanut Butter

Chocolate Covered Pretzel Peanut Butter Brownies

Mini Rainbow M&M Cookies with Peanut Butter Buttercream

126 Responses to “Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Lovers’ Cookies.”

Mirposted August 29, 2013 at 8:38 am

Sally, I recently discovered your blog and I’m loving it! Thanks for creating all of these great recipes!

Would your soft-baked PB cookie recipe work as a bar cookie? My mom used to bake peanut butter cookies as bars and I was obsessed, and now I want to recreate that (and fill it with PB cups, M&Ms, and the like). Would this recipe do that?

On another note, if you are still in the Baltimore area and are ever in DC, you have to go to Cone E Island (an ice cream shop) and try their Fantasy Bars. They have all different flavors and they are amazing.

• Sallyreplied on August 29th, 2013 at 11:00 am

I have to try Cone E Island Mir! What a great suggestion, thank you!

And yes, you may make these cookies into bars. That’s not a problem at all. Try an 8×8 inch or 9×9 inch baking pan. I’m not exactly sure of the time – perhaps 25 minutes or slightly more/less. Just keep an eye on them – as they begin to brown, they are done. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Should be about 16 bars.

Desireeposted October 24, 2013 at 7:42 am

Sally these look yummy! I’m making a batch tonight. This may sound like a silly question but can I use crunchy peanut butter instead of creamy. All I have is crunchy on hand.

• Sallyreplied on October 24th, 2013 at 8:23 am

Yes, you sure can use crunchy instead. Enjoy!

ZsaZsaposted November 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Hi, Sally!

I was in search of a recipe for a soft peanut butter cookie and I “happened” upon your website yesterday. Your photos are gorgeous (and mouth-watering) and I love your “mini-stories” before the recipes (very fun and down-to-earth)….

I’m trying to surprise my mom with homemade cookies for the holidays, so I plan to use this recipe. If I used “natural” peanut butter (the kind you have to stir), would that alter anything?

• Sallyreplied on November 6th, 2013 at 2:34 pm

You are so kind, thank you! I am happy you found my website and that you’re enjoying my photos and writing! That makes my day, truly it does. I do not recommend using oily peanut butter in my cookie recipes. The texture of the final baked cookie will be off and may result in a cookie that spread too much from the excess visible oil. Can you find a non-oily natural style peanut butter instead? I typically use Skippy Natural.

• ZsaZsareplied on December 6th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Sally, the cookies are AMAZING! I’ve made two batches in the past few weeks. I did use 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour and 1/2 cup AP flour but kept everything else the same. The cookies “puffed up” nicely, and the texture was soft and chewy!

The first batch was too sweet for me, but my co-workers LOVED them. With the second batch (for my mom), I did reduce the sugar by 1/4. (For the brown sugar, I used 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons. For the white sugar, I used 2 tablespoons.) I kept everything else as it was, and they turned out GREAT! My mom loved them; I mailed them to her, and though she got them in five days, she said they were STILL soft. This recipe is a KEEPER!!!!!!

• Sallyreplied on December 6th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

These cookies say soft for days! I am so glad you love them so much. I’m happy to know they work successfully with some WW flour. I’ll have to try that next!

Renee V.posted November 9, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I ALWAYS have a problem with flat, crunchy results when I make cookies, and so today, I googled “puffy peanut butter cookies” and found your site. These looked so amazing, I decided to surprise my husband tonight (he’s a MAJOR PB lover!). I was confused with one thing – in the narrative above the recipe, you said it only has 3/4 c of sugar, but in the print out version, it says 1/4 c. I did the 1/4 c, and I sure hope it’s right! The dough is currently chilling, so we shall see. Somehow I figure even if it’s not enough sugar, the sweetness of all the candy should be enough! Thank you

• Sallyreplied on November 10th, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hi Renee! It says 1/4 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. So it’s 3/4 cup of sugar all together. And in the instructions, I ask you to cream the butter and sugarS together. So sorry you were confused!

Henrietteposted December 14, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Hi Sally! I’m making these tomorrow as they look so so delicious but could you please post in metric? :)

• Sallyreplied on December 14th, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Hi Henriette! I just added metric for you. Enjoy!

Henrietteposted December 16, 2013 at 2:43 pm

After having kinda failed the choc chip ones I made these! I didn’t have peanuts or peanut butter or chips cups so I used 100g of smooth PB and 100g of crunchy PB and 100g of milk choc chips, this time I made sure the dough rolls didn’t fall in the oven and OH WOW ! They turned out gorgeously puffy, moist with the most amazing taste EVER! Wow just wow. I can’t believe how good they were I just could not stop eating them. You are simply genius. I love your blog THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• Sallyreplied on December 16th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

That’s wonderful Henriette! So happy you gave these cookies a try and loved them.

Jessica Kellyposted March 24, 2014 at 10:48 am

Good morning Sally! I wanted to share this with you. I’ve got a serious Spring Cleaning itch now, and this past weekend I found some paperwork tucked in an inconspicuous spot. Among it were the very first recipes I printed from your blog on July 27th, 2012. I had hit the internet to for a new peanut butter cookie recipe, and printed this one (as well as the peanut butter nutella banana bread). Since then I have been feverishly baking from your posts, and now your cookbook. I’ve sought your help numerous times, with your responses never more than an hour or so away. My kitchen shelf now packed with containers of flour, sugars, chocolate chips and sprinkles, and my family and work colleagues love to hate me. Or is is hate to love me? Thank you Ms. Sally. I’m grateful I found you.

• Sallyreplied on March 24th, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thank you so much Jessica. The most thoughtful comment I’ve ever received. Truly made my morning – no, it made my week!! You are so kind. I appreciate it more than you know. I’m happy you’ve been a follower for so long! Love these cookies and that peanut butter nutella banana bread as well. Enjoy my cookbook!

DeeDeeposted April 16, 2014 at 4:00 am

Must stop eating dough now!!

Geni Boergerposted April 28, 2014 at 10:50 pm

These cookies are unbelievable! I Just made these to surprise my husband when he comes home from work. I know he will love them! Thank you!

Pattiposted June 1, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Oh my gosh, these look so amazing! I have a question though. I know these say soft baked, which is my favorite type of cookie, but my hubby likes them crunchy. So if I wanted to make half of the recipe crunchy, would I be able to by leaving them in the oven longer, or would that just make them burn? Sorry if it’s a dumb question… I am not an experienced baker!!

• Sallyreplied on June 1st, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Hi Patti! I would simply bake the cookies for an extra minute or two.

Jerriposted August 23, 2014 at 1:02 am

I love peanut butter cookies and your recipe has amazing peanut butter flavor. However with every, and I mean EVERY, peanut butter recipe my cookies always become too crumbly. But it’s not because it’s too dry since it does taste moist. Can you help me with my problem?

• Sallyreplied on August 23rd, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Jerri, what brand peanut butter are you using. I find natural, oily brands create dry crumbly peanut butter cookies. I always use Jif creamy.

• Jerrireplied on August 23rd, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I’ve been using skippy so maybe that could be the problem. I’ll try jiff and see if it works, thank you!

Saraposted October 23, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Which of your peanut butter cookie recipes is your favorite or most popular? I am dying for some peanut buttery goodness & I just know one of your recipes will meet my every need. Mahalo!

Krystaposted November 10, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Sally, made these tonite and the flavour was amazing, but they didn’t hold well together after they were cooked. Could I have over mixed the dough?

• Sallyreplied on November 11th, 2014 at 8:14 am

Hmm. Are you using natural style peanut butter? Do you think you overbaked them? I would suggest reducing the flour by 2 tablespoons next time. Overmixing wouldn’t be the issue here.

jessieposted November 12, 2014 at 8:51 am

I dont normally bake but I really want to try these. I only have baking powder on hand, can I substitute that for the baking soda?

• Iluminamelunareplied on January 24th, 2015 at 6:16 pm

You CAN use baking powder but just be aware your cookies will must likely be puffy and NOT as doughy as expected. Not to worry though, the taste won’t be affected. Good baking!

Vanessaposted December 13, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Wow, thank you so much for sharing the absolute best peanut butter cookie recipe. Everything comes out exactly as promised! I just made the peanut butter cookie recipe and just added white chips. Soft, melt in your mouth, cross between a cookie and a truffle candy, awesome!

Allysonposted May 23, 2015 at 8:27 am

there is no baking temp posted.  I baked at 375 and they seem to be cracking and not holding together well.  what temp should they bake at?

• Sallyreplied on May 24th, 2015 at 10:56 am

Kylaposted August 17, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I’ve made these umpteen times and every time they’ve been absolutely divine! However this last time something went horribly wrong. Could it really have been the dark brown sugar I used in place of the light? That’s the only thing I can think of that I did differently. They tasted like serious scortchness.  Guess this batch will just have to get tossed to the husband;)

1. Pingback: chewy butterfinger cookies

2. Pingback: 10 Easy Cookie Recipes for Labor Day Weekend

3. Pingback: peanut butter fudge brownie cups.

4. Pingback: Happy Halloween & Fabio’s Birthday Weekend! » Chelsea Eats Treats