Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars.

Soft & chewy pumpkin spice oatmeal bars loaded with chocolate chips. Perfect for “on the go” on those chilly fall days.

Photos updated September 2015!

Soft & chewy pumpkin spice oatmeal bars loaded with chocolate chips. Perfect for "on the go" on those chilly fall days.

I dream about my Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars every time I gobble the last one up from the batch. So soft, moist, wholesome, and chock-full of banana and peanut butter flavor. The chocolate chips are dreamy too.

I’ve had an itch to remake the bars with a little fall-ish makeover. Sub some pumpkin for the bananas, some molasses for the peanut butter, and fill them with pumpkin spice and everything nice.  Love love love.

I’m in a pumpkin-state-of-mind these days and there’s no turning back.

Until, of course, it’s time to roll out the green & red Christmas sprinkles.

Pumpkin-chocolate-oatmeal was my regular breakfast some years ago. A sprinkle of cinnamon, a dash of cocoa powder, a spoonful of honey, a smothering of pure pumpkin, and chewy, buttery oats were the start of my fall days.

It’s been a few years since I made my pumpkiny oats, but the taste and texture comes to my mind whenever the air begins to cool. Pumpkin and oats go hand-in-hand for me, so I knew this recipe would turn out perfectly. Plus, there’s chocolate.

The pumpkin leaves these bars soft and moist, exactly like my original recipe with bananas. The oats give each bite a chewy texture.  I use old-fashioned whole rolled oats in my recipe, not quick oats. Quick oats are finely ground up whole oats, and would leave these bars with little texture.

The molasses & brown sugar blend give the bars a rich sweetness and depth of flavor. You could use any type of molasses in these, just go by your taste preference. I used dark molasses, which is less sweet than light molasses but slightly sweeter and easier to handle than black-strap molasses.

I also didn’t use too many chocolate chips in these. I opted for mini chips and only used 1/2 cup. I didn’t want the chocolate to overpower the pumpkin.

The bars are dense, but not heavy. They’re low in fat, but NOT in flavor. I love that I didn’t have to clog these bars with any extra fats like oil or butter. There was simply no need for it!  Healthy AND tasty recipes do exist.

Perfect as quick pre-workout fuel or a wholesome mid-afternoon snack.

Serving suggestion: warm up in the microwave for 15 seconds. Eat. Grab a napkin. (I was left with melty chocolate on my face and pumpkin on my fingers.)

1  bowl. 1 pan.  Easy clean-up. 20 minutes. Healthy. Low-fat. Quick. Chocolate.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

Yield: 16 bars

• 2.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick oats)
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
  • 1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1/2 cup almond milk1
  • 1 large egg2
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Lightly spray 8 x 8 square baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. Mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Add in the vanilla, pumpkin, milk, egg, and molasses. Mix together until evenly combined. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Do NOT overmix.
  3. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes-30 minutes, or until baked through in the center. Allow to cool and cut into bars.
  4. Make ahead tip: Bars stay fresh for up to one week in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Bars freeze well, up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying.

1. Or any milk you prefer.
  2. You can choose to leave out the egg by using a “flax egg” instead of a regular egg. Flax egg = mix 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes while it “gels” up. Use the "flax gel" as a replacement for the egg. To make vegan, use this flax egg as well as dairy free milk and chocolate chips.

Here are a few similar favorite recipes.

Crunchy Pumpkin Spice Granola

Crunchy Pumpkin Spice Granola

Chewy Fudge No-Bake Granola Bars

No Bake Chewy Fudge Granola Bars

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

Favorite Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

Lightened Up Pumpkin Spice Bars

Pumpkin Spice Bars

Soft & chewy pumpkin spice oatmeal bars loaded with chocolate chips. Perfect for on the go!

143 Responses to “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars.”

Jessicaposted October 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Could this be done with almond or coconut flour? Would it be Ii heavy?

• Sallyreplied on October 22nd, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Replacing the WW flour with either of the flours you mentioned would be just fine. I say this because only 1/4 cup of either will not make a huge difference to the overall taste and texture of your oatmeal bars.

Leslieposted November 5, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Okay, I just made these this evening and was so excited. Now, I’ve made thick granola bars before (from Smitten Kitchen blog), and they were the best granola bars I’ve ever had. They however had a good amount of fat in them, so thought yours would be a good alternative. But, I just bit into one and almost couldn’t swallow. They don’t have a nice and chewy, granola bar texture..instead, they taste like rubbery, over-cooked oatmeal :/. The texture is so off-putting, their flavor doesn’t redeem them. I followed your recipe exactly..is this the texture they’re supposed to have? I’ll probably throw the whole pan out..I’m so sad.

• Sallyreplied on November 6th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Oh goodness, I’m so sorry you don’t like the texture of these granola bars, Leslie. They aren’t supposed to have a rubbery texture, but they will taste like baked oatmeal. Did you change anything at all (even the slightest thing) about the recipe? Granola bars can be rubbery when there is a lack of sugar.

Leslieposted November 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Nope..aside from adding some dried cherries, I didn’t change a thing. They’re supposed to taste like baked oatmeal? I guess I was assuming they’d taste like a thick and chewy granola bar, since they’re touted as granola bars :). I suppose if that’s what you’re expecting, they’re okay. Ah well, unfortunately, a little bit of fat does make things taste so much better :)..perhaps I’ll try them again with a little less pumpkin and add a couple tbsp of butter.

• Sallyreplied on November 6th, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Well they aren’t hard and sticky like most granola bars. Sorry to have disappointed you Leslie. Maybe you can crumble them up on top of ice cream or something?!And top with caramel? Anyway, yes – a little more fat does make everything better. You could add 2 Tbsp of melted butter or oil if you’d like. Thanks for your feedback.

Leslieposted November 6, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Go to the Smitten Kitchen blog and make her thick and chewy granola bars. They’re not hard or sticky..they’re exactly what I expect from a hearty and yummy granola bar from a coffee shop or something. But, they do have 6 tbsp of butter :)..and corn syrup, but as she says, the corn syrup is necessary to make them glue a bit. Shrug, not as healthy as yours, but they have nuts, dried fruit, oatmeal and flax seed, so I don’t consider them UNhealthy either, lol. No worries, it’s just different expectations and preferences..obviously others liked this recipe.

Alyssaposted November 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Found this recipe after googling chewy chocolate chip pumpkin oatmeal cookies. Love the spice, the molasses and the pumpkin–and that there’s no butter or oil. I made it just as written with the exception of adding some dried cranberries in addition to the chocolate. Maybe next time I’ll add some toasted pecans to the bars?

• Sallyreplied on November 10th, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Yeah! These are great with pecans, toasted or not. I always prefer toasted though. I just made these the other week. Always a favorite this time of year. Thanks Alyssa!

Lizzieposted November 12, 2013 at 9:37 am

I finally got around to making these last week. Yum! Very good. I am a really big fan of your peanut butter banana chocolate chip oatmeal bars, too. I wonder if an Almond Joy flavor would be do-able? 😉

• Sallyreplied on November 12th, 2013 at 9:39 am

Oh my gosh, Lizzie. Almond Joy would be so, so good!

• Lizziereplied on November 12th, 2013 at 9:46 am

I think so, too! It would be easy enough to use almond butter and throw some coconut and dark chocolate in there…what I am stumped on is what to use for the “goo”… the pumpkin/banana substitute. :)

• Sallyreplied on November 12th, 2013 at 10:01 am

Hmm. Applesauce?

Cassadyposted November 17, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I’ve been reading the blog for over a year (I love the photography and down-to-earth attitude!), but this is the first thing I’ve baked from it, and it was awesome. Next on my list to try in the peanut butter banana bars. Any suggestions on quick, healthy uses for the half a can of pumpkin I have left over?

• Sallyreplied on November 17th, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Hey Cassady! I’m so glad you love reading my blog and thanks for the sweet words about my photography. If you’d like something healthy with pumpkin, you can try my favorite pumpkin cupcake recipe (which can also be muffins) without frosting: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/11/16/favorite-pumpkin-cupcakes/

Or anything you see here: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/category/pumpkin-recipes/

• Cassadyreplied on November 17th, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for the tips! One more question: is it possible to replace some of the oats with crispy rice in any oatmeal bar recipe? If so, what ratio would you suggest? I’m looking for a little bit of a lighter, crunchier texture in my next batch.

• Sallyreplied on November 18th, 2013 at 9:22 am

I would just add 1/2 cup of rice krispies to the batter and not change anything else.

Jayneposted November 27, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I adore your website- I have tried so many recipes and I must say, they are all fantastic. Just made these tonight-they’re wonderful.

• Sallyreplied on November 27th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I’m glad, Jayne! I love these oatmeal bars. Let me know what recipes you make next!

Hayleyposted December 5, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Hey Sally…I decided it was my moral duty to share my experience with these bars. I made them the other day, (and the day before that I made the healthy oatmeal pumpkin cookies YUM). Anyway I followed the recipe perfectly including the baking time and they came out gooey and really off-putting. I was so disappointed and read through the comments and found a few other readers with the same problem. I almost figured this recipe was a dud. NO. I refused to throw them out so I just rebaked them. Completely changed everything. I know you mentioned to another blogger that oven times vary but if you ever post this recipe again I would elaborate on how this recipe must be baked enough, even up to 35 minutes for some ovens. I’m not a newbie to your page (I’m baking about 3 more of your cookies recipes this weekend) so I had let you know so that no one thinks this recipe is anything less than delicious. I had never baked any kind of oatmeal bar before so I had no intuition of over/under baking. Now I know. Sorry for the long comment! <3 Thanks for everything you do, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on December 6th, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hey Hayley! Thanks so much for the comment, I’m so happy you made these oatmeal bars work. You are so kind to leave such a thoughtful comment. I will go ahead and add a note to the recipe about extending the bake time if need be. Thank you very much and hope you are having a happy holiday season!

Angel T.posted February 17, 2014 at 10:42 am

Hey Sally, I’ve made the bars before using the egg and they were REALLY good but I was wondering if leaving the egg out would make a huge difference.

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2014 at 2:54 pm

The ingredients won’t bind together as nicely. The egg’s purpose is to prevent the bars from falling apart. Let me know if you try it though!

Lauraposted March 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm

Even though spring is here I couldn’t resist using my last can of pumpkin to make these and they were AMAZING! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to trying more of your recipes!

Jenniferposted September 5, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Can I use honey instead of molasses? Is that weird??

Lorraine Fposted September 14, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I just had to say that I am now addicted to these little healthy bars! I have already made them twice in one week. I love the fact that they have no oil or butter & very little fat, yet they are so tasty & moist! I will continue making them in the future. Thank you for such a great low-fat recipe!

admattaiposted September 28, 2014 at 3:14 pm

These are great! I just made them, they’ll be a perfect breakfast for the week. The only change I made is that I used regular sized dark chocolate chips.

Cassie Loweposted April 20, 2015 at 2:01 am

Can i freeze these or the mixture?

• Sallyreplied on April 20th, 2015 at 10:57 am

Yes– up to 2-3 months

Holly Thompsonposted August 5, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I couldn’t wait any longer–had to make these today. So delicious! I substituted honey for the brown sugar and they are just wonderful! Love your website. Thanks for sharing!

Jenposted September 20, 2015 at 5:54 pm

These were NOT good! No one in my family would eat them. They had a horrible texture and the flavor was just ok. Chocolate makes anything bearable, but none of us could choke these down. Poor recipe, in my opinion.

Kara Fe.posted September 21, 2015 at 2:48 pm

I  made these and your pumpkin cupcakes over the weekend and we loved them. Great healthy treat. Compared to those cupcakes that is! The texture is soft and chewy and the pumpkin flavor is spot on. Thanks for sharing these pumpkin recipes Sally.

1. Pingback: sugarless pumpkin oatmeal cookies with pecans « livindolcevita

2. Pingback: sugarless pumpkin oat bread « livindolcevita

3. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday feat. Millet Tabbouleh « healthninja

4. Pingback: skinny pumpkin cheesecake brownies.

5. Pingback: Friday Top 5: Pumpkin Recipes

6. Pingback: nutella swirled pumpkin pie.

7. Pingback: Pumpkin Cheesecake Cake