Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies.

These Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies are a cross between delicious, soft-baked chocolate chip cookies and sprinkle filled funfetti cake!

THE Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe on One of the most popular recipes!

Here is one of my most popular recipes ever. I made these sprinkle-loaded cookies again recently, but I made them bigger, better, and thicker. Gorgeous, aren’t they? Delicious too!

I’m posting my Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies for you today because (1) I know how much you love cake batter and (2) I tweaked the recipe to make them even better this time around.

My sister always says that if you have a recipe you adore, don’t ever change it. I couldn’t agree more, but to be completely honest… I wasn’t totally satisfied with the original recipe.I developed the cookie recipe last January, before I really got my feet wet into the cookie baking scene. I’ve learned a LOT the past year and knew that I could develop an even better chocolate chip cookie loaded with cake batter flavor.

If you’re anything like me, you adore thick cookies. I like my cookies tall and puffy. The original version were a bit too thin for my liking, which is exactly why I got to work last week to develop a new, thicker version.

First, I took a look at my recipe’s ingredients.  Everything looked about right – flour, eggs, butter, sugar, cake mix, etc.  What can I take out or put into the recipe that will improve the cookie’s thickness?  I spotted an easy fix – the original cookies call for 1 egg and 1 egg yolk.  This “extra egg-yolk trick” I picked up from The Cook’s Illustrated Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Adding an extra egg yolk to the dough makes the finished cookies nice and chewy.

I removed the extra egg yolk. I figured with all of the butter, cake mix, and soft brown sugar going into this recipe, there was certainly no need for extra moisture in the dough.

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies. My most popular recipe EVER.

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies. My most popular recipe EVER.

What are other ways I could improve the original recipe?

Let’s try reducing the amount of chocolate chips stuffed inside.  The original version of these cookies were OVERLOADED with white chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips.  Don’t get me wrong, I love a chunky cookie.  But, there is a point your cookie dough can reach where it just cannot hold anymore “stuff.”

If you put too many goodies into your cookie dough, the structure of your cookie will break down since there is not enough dough to support it all.

That is an easy fix! Reduce the amount of chocolate chips so that the cookie isn’t so delicate.  What is the maximum amount of chips I can get away with to maintain a thick cookie structure but still have the cookies overloaded (just how I like them)? 1 cup. I reduced the chocolate chips from 1.5 cups to 1 cup.  That’s simple, right?

And look how many chips are still in there with only 1 cup!

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies - recipe by

What’s next?

Chilling the dough.  I chilled the dough the first time I made these cookies, and I was sure to do this step again because I cannot stress this step enough.  I chill the dough for nearly every single cookie I bake. Why is this step so gosh darn important? After mixing your cookie dough, chilling it firms up the fat (butter, in this case) and gives the flour time to absorb liquid evenly.  It reduces a cookie dough’s stickiness, making it firm and much easier to work with.

Too often, I’ve baked cookies with room temperature dough only to find that they’ll run into one another, becoming a single crisp, crunchy mess on my cookie sheet. The cooler the dough when it goes into the oven, the less your cookies will spread. Sometimes, I even put frozen balls of dough straight into the oven, creating the thickest cookies I’ve ever baked. Make your cookie dough, roll into balls, freeze, bake. Try it some time!

I used my favorite “tall cookie” trick to reduce the cookie’s spreading.  I’ve been rolling my cookie dough balls taller, rather than wider ever since I made my Thick Oatmeal Raisinet Cookies. This doesn’t necessarily mean that I used more dough per cookie, I simply shaped the cookie dough ball to be nice and tall, with a firm solid bottom to make sure the cookie doesn’t topple over as it bakes.

Here is a photo of a “tall” cookie dough ball.

I talk more about the “tall” cookie dough trick here. Just like the originals, I used vanilla cake mix to replace some of the flour to give the cookies a cake batter taste. I also infused the dough with oodles and oodles of sprinkles. Would you have it any other way?

While the original version are buttery, sprinkle-loaded, cake-batter flavored chocolate chip cookies, I wouldn’t call them “perfect.” Today’s version uses a couple quick tricks to improve the cookie’s thickness.  Reduce an egg yolk, reduce the chocolate chips weighing down the cookie, and make your cookie dough balls “taller” rather than “wider.” And as always, make sure your dough is chilled when you put the cookies into the oven.

So there you have it! A little cookie science experiment I decided to perform over the weekend.  And boy, am I sure glad I did.  These cookies are perfectly thick, full of sprinkles, cake batter flavor, both white & semi-sweet chocolate chips, soft, crinkly, and thick. Now, this is what I call cookie perfection.

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies. My most popular recipe EVER.

☆  UPDATE: These cookies are so amazing that they were featured in two magazines! And they are on the cover of my cookbook.

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: 2 - 2.5 dozen cookies

If you like chocolate chip cookies and you like cake batter, you will love these soft & chewy cookies!

• 1 and 1/4 cup (160g)all-purpose flour
  • 1 and 1/4 cup (190g) yellow or vanilla boxed cake mix (I typically use vanilla cake mix - you just need the DRY mix)1
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks or 170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1 egg, at room temperature
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (180g) chocolate chips (I used a blend of white and semi-sweet chocolate chips)
  • 1/2 cup (80g) sprinkles

1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cake mix, and baking soda. Set aside.
  2. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth. Add the egg and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and beat on high until combined. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low-medium speed until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and sprinkles. Mix on low until the add-ins are evenly disbursed.
  3. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours, or up to 3-4 days. This step is mandatory. The dough is fairly sticky, so chilling the dough is required in order to avoid the cookies from spreading too much. If you chill longer than 2 hours, make sure you roll the cookie dough into balls after the 2 hour mark. Place dough balls on a plate, cover tightly, and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. You may also freeze the balls at this point for up to 3 months. (Then bake as directed adding 1 minute to the bake time without thawing.)
  4. Once dough has been chilled, preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  5. Scoop rounded balls of the cold dough onto an ungreased baking sheet, use about 1.5 Tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie. Shape your cookie dough balls to be "taller" than they are wide, as pictured above. Press a few chocolate chips into the tops of the cookie dough balls, if desired. That makes a pretty cookie. Make sure to keep dough chilled when working in batches.
  6. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly browned. Mine take 10 minutes exactly. The centers will still appear very soft, but the cookies will set as they cool. You can also press a few more chips into the tops of the cookies at this point (the chips will melt down and stick from the warm cookies).
  7. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 4 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
  8. Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Allow to come to room temperature and continue with step 4. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.

1. You can use funfetti cake mix and leave out the sprinkles called for in this recipe. Gluten free cake mix is not recommended.

PS: Try them with Christmas sprinkles during the holidays!

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies for Christmas!

You’ll see today’s cookies, as well as 74 NEW recipes in my cookbook.

Sally's Baking Addiction Cookbook - on sale

Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies for Christmas! Cookie recipe on

655 Responses to “Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Krystenposted April 9, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you use the boxed cake mix with pudding in the mix?

• Sallyreplied on April 10th, 2015 at 11:28 am

That would be fine.

saraposted April 24, 2015 at 8:22 pm

i Was Just Wondering If Anyone Has Substituted The Butter For Coconut Oil?? I Have A Child With A Dairy Allergy!!

• Maurareplied on September 20th, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I have used Earth Balance Vegan Baking sticks due to food allergies and still had amazing results.

Starrposted April 26, 2015 at 7:52 pm

these cookies are my husbands absolute favorite, although I’ve tried everything to keep them from spreading so much. I live in Cheyenne, Wy where the altitude is approx. 6,632 so I’ve tried adding more flour, using real butter instead of margarine, balling the dough taller like you said, and I always chill the dough or ball it up and freeze it. We love these cookies so we will forever bake them, but I’d love if I could get them just right! I wanted to add more baking soda or something but I don’t want to ruin the cookies. Please give me some advice!

Catherine C.posted May 5, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Hi Sally! Let me start off by saying that you are truly an inspiration to bakers! I started baking about two years ago and since finding your website a year ago have not been able to stop! I appreciate the thought, time and even science that you put into your recipes! You have made it possible for me to make many people happy through your delightful recipes. That being said, I just recently purchased a kitchen scale per your recommendation (fabulous!) and I noticed that in this recipe the grams are different for the cake mix and flour yet it seems it calls for 1 1/4 cup of each. Is there a reason for this? Thank you for everything!

• Sallyreplied on May 6th, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Hi Catherine, I’m so happy that you enjoy my blog and recipes! 1 and 1/4 cups of flour is lighter than the same amount of cake mix. Cake mix is heavier. So, the same amounts of each weigh different.

Yaelaposted May 7, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Hi Sally!
    You are a phenomenal culinary scientist :) We are going out of town this weekend and I would love to make this into a cake to take with us…seems like a perfect travel-able recipe. Can you think of any changes the recipe might need to turn into a chocolate chip cookie cake? Also, I was thinking of making the dough, putting into the 8″ or 9″ baking pan and then freezing the whole thing before baking tomorrow…what do you think? Thank you for being such an inspired resource!

• Sallyreplied on May 8th, 2015 at 5:27 pm

No changes at all- I suggest using a 9 inch round cake pan. No need to freeze– just prepare the batter and chill it until ready to bake. I’m unsure of the bake time for a cookie cake. Should be around 30 minutes.

Amyposted May 8, 2015 at 11:17 am

I’ve been waiting for months to use this recipe. Mostly because if I just made them for myself (not a special occasion) I would eat them all in one sitting. 😛 I have a new friends bday party tomorrow night and these are just perfect. I had no idea what to get her (since I don’t know her THAT well yet) but her bf insists chocolate chip is one of her favs :) cake batter chocolate chip? You literally can not go wrong with that..hope they are a hit!!!!

Crystalposted May 12, 2015 at 1:37 pm

I have a huge sweet tooth. I usually bake and eat everything (or bring to work). My husband usually doesn’t touch what I make (he likes salty food), but if he does, it’s usually just a bite (how can you stop after a bite? not sure). Anyway, I’ve made this recipe 4 times in the past few months. I think these are incredible cookies. My husband had one for the FIRST time this week and said “THAT WAS THE BEST COOKIE I HAVE EVER HAD” … just thought i’d share with you! I told him i had made 4 batches in the past few months and he JUST finally tried one! I had been begging him to try one forever! :) awesome recipe!

Meganposted May 15, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Hi Sally!
    I was just wondering if I could switch the vanilla/yellow cake with a birthday cake mix (sometimes called rainbow bit), if that would work? The person I’m making the cookies for loves birthday cake and isn’t a fan of sprinkles so I was thinking of swapping the mixes and leaving out the sprinkles..what would you recommend?

• Sallyreplied on May 16th, 2015 at 8:24 am

That would be fine!

Sarah Rposted May 25, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Made these today & they were awesome! Thanks for the great recipe!

Leahposted May 27, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I made them tonight with lemon cake mix. They came out flat. Fortunately I have more cake mix to try again over the weekend. I agree with other comments that a pinch of salt is required and they were a bit too sweet for me with sprinkles in them. Love the concept though!

Karenposted June 12, 2015 at 1:58 pm

I make these all the time! They are delicious!! Thank you for the recipe!

Marcyposted June 27, 2015 at 10:14 am

i made these with all white chocolate chips and regular rainbow sprinkles. They were amazing. My mom said they were her new favorite cookie and that’s saying a lot because she’s a big cookie coniseur. My dad (whose more of a dark chocolate fan) thought they were wonderful too. Thanks for a new family favorite that’s actually pretty easy!

Shanalayposted July 3, 2015 at 8:58 am

Amazing!!! Best cookies ever!

Macy Kayposted July 3, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Have you tried it with gluten free cake mix? I know you said it isn’t recommended but do you think it would dramatically change the results?

• Autumnreplied on November 10th, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Macy: I tried making these GF with Bob’s Red Mill Cup for Cup flour and a GF funfetti cake mix and they came out great! So soft and chewy! I just made sure that the flour and the cake mix had xanthan gum already in it. I don’t know if a homemade mix of flour would work with these cookies. Just make the dough according to directions and use a cookie scoop so the cookies don’t thin out. Hope that helps!

Amberposted July 3, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I doubled the batch following every step to a T. The dough was crumbly and not manageable. I don’t understand whati did! My mom had me add a little water to help hold… We’ll see…. Ughhh

cindy harterposted July 22, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I am wondering if you have ever made a large cookie cake out of this? I want to make one for my son’s birthday tomorrow! Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I haven’t but plenty of readers have. I would bake in a 9×2 inch round pan. I’m unsure of the bake time.

Nicoleposted July 25, 2015 at 11:58 pm

I made these for the first time and used the tall cookie technique, loved the way they came out! A++

Aaryan Amarposted July 30, 2015 at 9:07 am

My family and I have been wanting to try out this recipie for a long time and WOW! This cookie is crunchy, but chewy, and sweet, but not too sweet. We will decently recommended this recipie to fellow bakers!

Angelaposted August 8, 2015 at 11:57 am

Could I use white cake mix?

MMicheleposted August 24, 2015 at 10:47 am

These are the BEST cookies!!! Always a hit when I make them. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!:)

Brittposted September 3, 2015 at 5:23 pm

OH MY WOW!!! These are soooo good!! They look good, they smell good and they taste amazing!!!!!
    My son and I bake cookies every week and tried this recipe for the first time today! These are a definite keeper! Will be making these again! Thank you!!

• Brittreplied on September 3rd, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Also the first time I used the “tall” method!!! Works great! Thank you Sally!!

Summerposted September 15, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Can these be frozen to make ahead of time?  freezer bags and transported afterwards?

• Katiereplied on September 17th, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Hi Summer! She has some notes about freezing in the last paragraph, which I did follow successfully for baking later. I did some in a ziplock container and some in a plate covered tightly in plastic wrap – I recommend the latter or another airtight method (such as the freezer bags you suggested, just press out the air). Happy baking!

Katieposted September 17, 2015 at 7:33 pm

These are AMAZING! I ended up freezing them then baking later and they still turned out so yummy. I was naughty and snuck some dough, too, which was fantastic (and admittedly unsafe) raw! I had to use mostly white chocolate chips ,which made them even sweeter since that’s all I had – will use mostly chocolate chip on the next batch. Thank you for a great and fun recipe!

Dakotaposted September 24, 2015 at 9:17 am

I have read others comments and the cookies seem to have worked out awesome for them. Mine however, turned out to be a crispy, flat, pancake… I tried to freeze the batter over night in hopes that it would firm up, but it was still sticky when I took them out and they again tuned into a pancake. Could you please give me a few tips? I WILL prevail with this recipe, but maybe you could help me out?
    Thank you!!!

Cindyposted October 5, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I made these cookies and they came out flat. Have never had that happen with any of your recipes. Can you address the issue?

Michelleposted October 7, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Mine came out really flat. Chilled for 2 1/2 hours and froze the other ones while the next ones were baking. Any ideas?

Lucyposted October 11, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Hello! I’m using this in a baking contest that my friends and I are having. One question: can I just use all cake mix in place of the all-purpose flour or would you suggest sticking to the recipe? Thanks! :)

Lucyposted October 11, 2015 at 5:30 pm

I’ve wanted to try this recipe for ages! My friends and I are having a baking contest, so I thought that this would be the perfect chance. One question, though: can I replace some of the cake mix with all-purpose flour? I don’t have enough.

• Lucyreplied on October 11th, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Whoops! I asked twice! Sorry. xD

Sierraposted October 16, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Hi Sally! Have you ever made these to put in Mason Jars? If so, how much of each ingredient did you put in each jar? Thanks!

Mindyposted October 21, 2015 at 5:24 pm

These are fantastic! My kids had so much fun helping and they were so easy to make!

Chantalposted October 26, 2015 at 10:39 am

Okay these were delicious! I have a very similar recipe that I follow for double chocolate chip cookies but this recipe totally just upped the ante!! I love the cake batter flavor.

Thanks for this recipe, it’s totally going to be a staple in my baking from now on :-) :-)

Dannyposted October 30, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Hi Sally! I love all of your recipes and I have never made a recipe of yours that was not devoured. You are truly an inspiration to all bakers. I was wondering if I could maybe mix it up and add 1 1/4 cup of red velvet cake mix instead of the vanilla cake mix. Thanks for the amazing recipes!

• Sallyreplied on October 31st, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Any flavor cake mix works!

Rachelposted November 1, 2015 at 8:12 am

When baking do you measure the ingredients by volume or do you weigh them with a kitchen scale?

Cindiposted November 4, 2015 at 9:27 am

About how many cookies does this recipe make?

Angela Tposted November 8, 2015 at 7:15 am

I used to make these all the time, but lately the cookies aren’t spreading, what am I doing wrong?

Laurie F.posted November 9, 2015 at 8:41 am

I saw these on Facebook and had to make the dough immediately, hello sprinkles! These are a big hit with kids! I have never seen the tall rolling technique before and it worked out beautifully.
    Adults who tried them thought they were a bit too sweet. I might add a little salt next time.

Rachelposted November 12, 2015 at 1:12 pm

If you don’t read the instructions carefully and use the ENTIRE box of cake mix (I’m not naming names here, but… okay it was me), never fear! Just add a little water and an extra egg to the mix. They still turned out so fluffy and rich :)
    Now to not eat the entire batch in one sitting…

snoangelposted November 14, 2015 at 4:52 pm

My daughter and I spent the afternoon making these….we changed a few things…use confetti cake mix and m&m’s instead….she loved them!!
    the hardest part was to not eat all the m&ms ( had to buy some 3times) and then not to eat the unbaked dough!!!! we will definitely be making these again…next time i will try with the cherry cake and white chocolate chips…

Sara Foxposted November 26, 2015 at 12:01 am

Sally! I made these for a bunch of marines who didn’t go home for thanksgiving. Although marines don’t care what cookies look like.. These came out pretty flat. I followed directions exactly.. Rolled balls after 2 hours of chilling and froze until I was read to bake. Any ideas what went wrong? :)

• Sallyreplied on November 26th, 2015 at 6:44 am

Nothing may have went wrong, you just need a little more flour in your batch. Add 1/4 cup extra flour next time you make them. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 6 7 8