Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting.

Homemade chocolate cupcakes topped with thick & creamy mint chocolate chip frosting.

Simple Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting

Mint chocolate chip ice cream in frosting form.

Yes. It tastes like ICE CREAM. And frosting. At the same time. WHAT!

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

I don’t know about you, but I feel there comes a time when peanut butter and caramel need to step aside from all the chocolate. (Did I really just say that?) Mint and chocolate are meant to be.  Like peas and carrots, ketchup and french fries, sprinkles and ice cream. Diamonds and ring fingers. 😉

A giant scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream in a waffle cone has and always will be one of my favorite summer desserts. And today, I played around with butter, sugar, peppermint extract, mini chocolate chips, heavy cream, and a drop of food coloring.  And boy, is it tasty.

The bed for my mint chocolate frosting is a homemade chocolate cupcake. Prior to this chocolate cupcake recipe, I’ve made dozens of dense brownie cupcakes and semi-homemade chocolate cupcakes using cake mix.  But I have yet to share a purely “from-scratch” chocolate cupcake before.  Trying to find that perfect recipe to test out, retest, or even develop, etc is overwhelming!  Butter or oil? Cocoa powder or melted chocolate?  Brown sugar? White sugar? Whole milk? No milk? Ahh!

However, I found a recipe in my prized Joy of Cooking cookbook that was begging to be made.  And the result is perfection.  I am SO pleased with my choice!

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

Today’s cupcakes are SO moist, just like the texture you get from a cupcake made from a convenient box mix. It’s a very simple chocolate cupcake recipe.  The intense chocolate flavor comes from a chocolate “sauce” made from unsweetened cocoa powder and boiling water.  The rest of the ingredients are nothing special; just easy, familiar items you already have in your kitchen: creamed butter & sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, salt, vanilla, and not much else. I love that!

One thing I will note: be very careful not to burn the cupcakes. Overbaking them will give the cupcakes a dry texture. There is nothing I dislike more than a dry, crumbly baked good! Especially when I’m looking for a moist, soft, tender chocolate cupcake.

Have you ever biten into a dry, flavorless chocolate cupcake or cake before? Yuck. Steer clear of overbaking these! I took them out of the oven at 17 minutes. Stick a toothpick into the center of the cupcakes. If they come out *mostly* (or completely) clean, they are done. You don’t want too many crumbs on the toothpick and you don’t want black, burnt edges. Watch the cupcakes closely after 16 minutes and do not bake longer than 19 minutes.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

Cupcake towers: I love them.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

That mint chocolate chip frosting. Oh my heavens. It’s like winning the lottery… if the lottery prize was all frosting. Can I please play that lottery?

The frosting is based off of the vanilla buttercream recipe I used for my homemade funfetti cupcakes.  However, I wanted the frosting to be thicker, sort of like my cookie dough frosting recipe.  I reduced the heavy cream to thicken things up. I also added mini chocolate chips, peppermint extract, and 2 drops of green food coloring.

The best part? The frosting is so easy to make! Even easier than the cupcakes. When you begin to make the cupcakes, set out two extra sticks of butter.  Like most buttercream frostings, you want the butter nice and soft to make a creamy frosting base.  By the time the cupcakes are baked and cooled, the butter will be the perfect consistency.

I like to use a hand mixer when I make my frostings. I have much more control over the beating process and can really isolate each and every spot inside the mixing bowl – sometimes my stand mixer will miss the butter at the very bottom of the bowl and I, consequently, have to manually scrape the bottom up to have it mix thoroughly.

An electric hand mixer makes things much easier for me when I make frostings, so I prefer it over a stand mixer.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

Unlike most, I mix the butter by itself on low speed for a good 20-60 seconds before adding anything else.  It creates the perfect creamy base for the rest of the frosting ingredients.  Add 3 cups of powdered sugar, then 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream, 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract, and 2 drops of green food coloring.

So here’s the thing: this frosting recipe is very forgiving.

The amounts of heavy cream and powdered sugar you use can be adjusted for what you prefer. After adding 3 cups of powdered sugar and 2 Tablespoons of heavy cream, if you find the frosting to not be thick enough, add more powdered sugar.  If it is too thick, add more heavy cream.  Truly, it’s just based on what you prefer.

By adding more powdered sugar, keep in mind that the frosting will taste sweeter with each addition.  You may not see this in a lot of frosting recipes, but I add 1/8 teaspoon of salt to cut all of the sweetness, while still keeping the frosting’s thick texture from all the powdered sugar.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

Also forgiving about this frosting recipe:

You can add more or less peppermint extract or green food coloring.  If 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract is not enough, add more (carefully…that stuff is potent!).  Not green enough for you? Add more green food coloring.  2 drops gave the frosting the same mint green color you see in most mint chocolate chip ice creams.

This frosting gives a new meaning to “ice cream and cake,” right?! 😉

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

When you reach your prefered frosting consistency, color, and minty flavor – add mini chocolate chips. I used mini chocolate chips because it makes the frosting much easier to spread.  You could also leave the frosting plain and sprinkle with chocolate chips on top, but I wanted to replicate the look of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Any sort of chip will make this frosting impossible to pipe, so I went with the “rustic” frosting look today and just used a knife.

So there ya go. Mint and chocolate are taking over my kitchen, which is perfect timing for the green month of March. The chocolate cupcakes are so soft and moist with lots of chocolate flavor. The frosting is fluffy, super thick, minty and so easy to adapt to fit your frosting needs.  Plus, it looks like ice cream.  Mint chocolate chip ice cream in frosting form. Can I just eat this stuff with a spoon please?

Ok I’m done. Make these NOW.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting

Yield: 14 cupcakes

Simply homemade chocolate cupcakes topped with thick & creamy mint chocolate chip frosting. Yum.

Chocolate Cupcakes

• 1 cup (240ml) water
  • 1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 and 1/3 cups (167g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick or 115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting

• 1 cup (2 sticks or 230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3-4 cups (360-480g) powdered (confectioners') sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons (30ml) heavy cream*
  • 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (or more, see recipe instructions)
  • 2 drops green food dye
  • pinch of salt, as needed
  • 2/3 cup (120g) mini chocolate chips

Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line 14 muffin cups with liners.

Over high heat, bowl the water in a small saucepan. Pour the unsweetened cocoa powder into a medium sized bowl and mix with boiling water until smooth. Allow to cool to room temperature by placing in the refrigerator as you prepare the other ingredients.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, using an electric hand or stand mixer, cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat only until *just* combined. In a steady stream, add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.

Fill each muffin tin 3/4 of the way full with batter. Bake for 16-19 minutes, keeping an eye on them to avoid even the slightest burning (which will lend dry cupcakes). My cupcakes took 17 minutes and a toothpick inserted in the middle came out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool before frosting.

Make the frosting: beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric mixer. Beat for about 30-60 seconds until smooth and creamy. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar, cream, peppermint extract, and food coloring. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin (up to 4 cups) or more cream if mixture is too thick. Add salt if the frosting is too sweet. You may also add more food coloring if desired or more peppermint extract if it is not minty enough. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.

Frost cooled cupcakes. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you use on each cupcake. Makes 14 cupcakes. Cupcakes taste best the day of or 1 day after they are made.  Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

*Replacing the heavy cream in the frosting with milk or half-and-half will result in a less creamy consistency.

*You my make these cupcakes into a 9-inch cake, filling the pan halfway full, and then using any extra batter for cupcakes. I am unsure of the exact baking time for this cake - it will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean..

Today’s “rustic style” frosting look reminds me of the popular Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting that I made last year and again recently. :)

brownie cookie dough cupcakes

Here are a few more mint chocolate recipes.

Mocha Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Mocha Mint Cookies-2

Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Brownies

Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Brownies

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie (with mint chocolate chips)

Soft-Baked Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Fudge

Andes Mint Chocolate Chip Fudge

See more mint chocolate recipes.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting by

248 Responses to “Chocolate Cupcakes with Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting.”

yanaposted January 24, 2014 at 12:40 am

Hey, im Yana from Malaysia. I never baked before. And here i am, the recipe work ! My frost did taste like an icecream . I leave it for a day in the refrigerator before i add it on the top of the cupcakes. I swear the muffin taste better than anything i ever tasted. At first, i doubt you were giving out the exact recipe. But this sure paid off . Thank you Sally! Did it for my boyfriend on his birthday. 😀 he l.o.v.e it.!

Ashleyposted January 31, 2014 at 9:41 am

We’ll these cupcakes have turned out beautifully & the frosting is absolutely fantastic, definitely a keeper!!!!! Thanks so much .
    The only problem is my cupcake cases have started to peal away from the cake, do you know of any reason why this has happened?

• Sallyreplied on January 31st, 2014 at 9:52 am

WHat do you mean? The cupcake liners are stuck to the cupcakes? I always make sure to not use cheap cupcake liners. I buy them in bulk from here:

They never stick or become unattached from the cupcakes.

Bettinaposted January 31, 2014 at 11:24 am

Hi! These look absolutely delicious! I was wondering how long would they need to be in the oven if you wanted to make mini cupcakes? Since you stressed not overbaking, I wanted to make sure so I didn’t do that!

• Sallyreplied on January 31st, 2014 at 11:26 am

I’d say about 10 minutes. Enjoy!

• Bettinareplied on January 31st, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Hannahposted February 2, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I found this recipe a while back and I’ve been dying for an excuse to bake them, finally I made these cupcakes just yesterday for the Super Bowl, and they turned out amazing!! The chocolate cake was moist and fluffy and the icing was so refreshing! These were my first homemade cupcakes and they were “spectacular,” my family devoured them. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

Jillposted February 9, 2014 at 11:50 am

I made these today for a cupcake contest we’re having tomorrow at my office. They turned out so completely delicious! The frosting really does taste like the ice cream. Thanks for the great recipe!

Brianna McBeanposted February 23, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Can I make a chocolate cake with this recipe or just cupcakes?

• Sallyreplied on February 24th, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I’m sure you could – though I do not know the correct baking time to serve as a cake. This batter will fit into a 9×2 cake pan. You may have a little batter leftover for a couple cupcakes.

Gigiposted March 3, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Absolutely adored every part of this cupcake, especially the frosting! I’m a huge mint chocolate chip fan! Any ideas for what to put leftover frosting on? It was so good, I don’t want to throw it out!

Briannaposted April 2, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I wanted to make these as cake balls for my boyfriend’s birthday. Do you think substituting milk for water might make them moister since they’ll be so little?

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:48 pm

They’re actually pretty moist as is and that won’t change if you made them smaller, Brianna. Hope he enjoys them!

• Briannareplied on April 3rd, 2014 at 8:33 am

Great, thank you!

Nasiebaposted April 4, 2014 at 5:46 am

Could i use self raising flour (Cake Flour), or is it best to use all purpose flour (plain flour). As am from the uk so i get abit confused with the flours with american recipes. We normally use self raising flour in our cake recipes.

• Sallyreplied on April 4th, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hi Nasieba! Please use all-purpose flour in this recipe if you can find it.

Willposted April 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Made this recipe at home, and took me ages

The muffins are delicious however I must warn the frosting, as delicious as it seems it rather TOO sticky and difficult to work with.. Other than that, the perfect sweet icecream bun!

Lindseyposted April 11, 2014 at 4:41 am

Hi I was just wondering how many cups of frosting you use in your recipes for 12 cupcakes. Seems like you use A LOT but apparently not all the people I’m serving these cupcakes to are huge fans of frosting ( I know right! Like how can you get enough of frosting?!?) so I just want to know how much frosting your recipe for 12 cupcakes produces so I don’t have too much extra. :)

• Sallyreplied on April 11th, 2014 at 8:54 am

I’m unsure of the amount of cups this frosting recipe makes – I’ve never measured. Feel free to halve the recipe if you need to. Enjoy!

• Lindseyreplied on April 11th, 2014 at 10:42 am

If I have extra frosting, what would you recommend it for other than putting it on cupcakes or eating it with a spoon? Can you eat it frozen? WOULD IT TASTE LIKE ICE CREAM?! omg this frosting is making me go nuts lol

Kristenposted April 24, 2014 at 9:32 am

I’m a bit confused with the water part? Why do have to boil it if you’re going to chill it anyway? If you have to boil it do you boil some water THEN measure a cup into a bowl with cocoa powder? or measure a cup then boil it? with a lid or no? because last time I made these the batter was sooo thin and goopy I had to add 1/2 cup of flour but even THEN it wasn’t thickening. After I took it out of the oven, the tops looked like hardened pudding and not cracked like yours. it tasted raw and dense, but with no delightful fudginess. They also were more black than brown. Nobody liked them. 36cupcakes are sitting in my freezer right now. I’m so disapointed ;( What am I doing wrong??? :(

Francescaposted May 17, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Hello Sally, I’ve been following your blog for quite some time now and your recipes never disappoint. I recently bought your cookbook too, it’s filled with some many wonderful ideas. I wanted to let you know I really love your recipes, your blog is full of helpful tips and advice, and you respect your followers so much and kindly respond to so many of the comments and questions you receive. Congratulations on the success of your book and I hope everything is coming together and going well in terms of your wedding. I am a big fan of you, your baking and your lovely website.
    I’ve made several of your recipes before, and I said previously, they never disappoint. I have just made these cupcakes, and oh my, they’ve yet to be tasted but they have baked up beautifully. The look incredibly soft, moist and light. But chocolatey too. Thank you so much. I’m looking forward to making the frosting and giving these to my friends having read all of the wonderful comments you have received :) Thank you once again Sally for sharing your brilliant recipe, I think it might be my new favourite chocolate cupcake recipe!
    You’ve come so far since you started your ‘addiction’ in 2011. I hope your future is filled with just as much success and happiness. xx

• Sallyreplied on May 17th, 2014 at 2:45 pm

Thank you so much for all the sincere, kind words Francesca! This truly meant a lot to me to read this afternoon. Let me know how everyone likes these cupcakes with the frosting. This is one of my favorite recipes!

• Francescareplied on May 17th, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Done!! And wow!! Thank you, thank you. Perfect frosting too, not that I had any doubts. Thank you ever so much Sally <3 you really inspire me. Hope you are having a lovely weekend.

Aliceposted May 23, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Just made the mint chocolate chip cupcakes. Ah-ma-zing! Followed your recipe to the letter for the cupcakes and the frosting. Perfection! My favorite part is that the frosting looks exactly like mint chip ice cream , so when the cupcakes are frosted, it looks like there is just a big dollop of ice cream on top! Yay!

Taylorposted May 26, 2014 at 4:59 am

can you add some peppermint extract to the cupcakes too?

• Sallyreplied on May 26th, 2014 at 10:24 am

I’m sure that would be fine, I’d go easy on it though – it’s quite potent.

Sarahposted May 29, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I’ve always thought that when baking cupcakes the temperature couldn’t be above 180C, but these say 190. Too high?

Beth Laneposted June 17, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Hi; I have been looking over the icing ingredients, and in mentions to add ‘heavy cream’. I’ from the UK and this is not sold locally; what would you suggest as a substitute?

+ LOVE the blog and cookbook!!! :)

• Sallyreplied on June 17th, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Hi Beth, regular milk is fine for a less creamy texture. Heavy cream is also known as double cream or whipping cream, as well.

Vanessaposted August 7, 2014 at 9:27 am

Thanks for the recipe, Sally! I tried these last night with a few modifications. One of my friends loves chocolate/mint combo, so she requested I add a little bit of Andes mints somehow. I decided to add about 3/4 cup of chopped Andes mints to the batter. For the frosting, instead of using mini chips, I also used just a little of the chopped Andes mints (maybe 1/2 cup), and I topped the cupcakes with a whole Andes. She loved them!

Chadposted August 8, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I made these as a mini cupcake and they were a big hit. Just follow the recipe but bake for only 8 minutes

Mariaposted August 22, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Hi. i made these cupcakes a few weeks ago and OMG…… they were to die for. i love the mint – choc combination. YUM. My friend requested this for her 18th birthday but as a cake. and i’m currently baking it. the cake smells so good.

you are a genius

Feliciaposted September 5, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Hey Sally!

Love your site! I’ve made so many recipes since I stumbled upon your baking genius! Every one has been wonderful! I know that drying is potentially an issue, and I want to make minis…what do you think? Temp and time thoughts?

• Sallyreplied on September 6th, 2014 at 9:48 am

same oven temperature – maybe about 10 minutes bake time for mini cupcakes. Thanks!

Jenniferposted September 28, 2014 at 12:49 am

This mint icing looks absolutely fantastic. I have a thing for peanut butter and chocolate as well, but I agree that this is cause for a break! Thank you!

Kathleenposted October 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm

These mint chocolate chip chocolate cupcakes are the best I have ever had and thank you for giving measurements in weights…that’s the only way to bake…frosting is amazing….did add a touch of salt and it makes the sweetness so much better…..thanks

Connieposted October 7, 2014 at 10:31 pm

i am debating whether to make these chocolate cupcakes or your fudge brownie cupcakes.. what do you think is the difference between the two in terms of taste and texture? thank you!

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hi Connie, these cupcakes are much lighter in texture. The brownie cupcakes are just that – dense, brownie-like in texture. Depends on what you like best! I happen to like these a bit better with this frosting.

Juliaposted November 1, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I can’t wait to make these!! My husbands birthday is Tuesday and mint chocolate chip ice cream is his favorite!! So… My daughter (4) and I plan to make them this week. She, however, would prefer we make him a cake. Do you suppose that would work well with this recipe and do you have any recommendations as far as pan size, bake time/ temp alterations?! Thanks so much!

• Sallyreplied on November 3rd, 2014 at 11:22 am

Hi Julia – you my make this into a cake, but I am unsure of the exact baking time. It may be easier to make this chocolate layer cake instead and using this mint chocolate frosting.

• Kellyreplied on August 4th, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I used your Triple Chocolate Layer cake as my go to cake quite a lot, Everyone loves it.

• Taliareplied on November 10th, 2014 at 9:37 am

Hello Sally and Julia,

I baked this recipe as a cake in a heart shaped 9×9 pan at 350 for exactly 30 min and it came out perfectly. I halved the frosting recipe and still had more than enough. The cake was a huge hit; thank you Sally, and enjoy it Julia!

Taliaposted November 4, 2014 at 9:18 am

Hi Sally! I am looking for a very simple chocolate cake and mint chocolate chip frosting recipe to bake for my mom; it’s her favourite! These cupcakes look absolutely perfect, but I would like for them to be in cake form. Do you think this recipe could simply be baked in an 8×8 pan to transform it into cake? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on November 4th, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Talia, you my make these cupcakes into a 9-inch cake, filling the pan halfway full, and then using any extra batter for cupcakes. I am unsure of the exact baking time for this cake – it will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean..

• Taliareplied on November 4th, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Thank you! I will give it a try and let you know what baking time ends up working. Can’t wait!

Renee Strickerposted January 27, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Just wanted to thank you for this AMAZING recipe! So glad I stumbled upon this site – there are so many other recipes I want to try. Delicious just as printed!

Rachelleposted February 18, 2015 at 9:36 am

Hi Sally-
    While looking for a braided bread recipe I stumbled on our website and it is now MY addiction! I also love to bake and run and make smoothies! I made the BB Danish Bread 2 nights ago and it was to die for! I now want to make some cupcakes for my daughter’s birthday and was looking at the mint chocolate chip frosting ones. One question though: How important is it to have unsalted butter. Is it okay to use salted since it seems that sometimes salt is added to the recipe? I may need to take stock in unsalted if I keep baking from your site:)

Thanks for sharing your recipes and photos, which are essential to me choosing a recipe:)

• Sallyreplied on February 18th, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Hi Rachelle! Using salted butter is just fine in my recipes. Always reduce the amount of salt by 1/4 teaspoon in the recipe per 1/2 cup (1 stick, 115g) of butter.

Rachelleposted February 18, 2015 at 1:50 pm

As a wander your blog of baking treats, I can’t help but wonder who is/are the poor souls that get to eat all your baking extravaganzas?! I’m sure you need help other than your husband as you perfect your recipes!!

Carolynposted February 22, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Hi Sally.
    Does this frosting need to be refrigerated?
    I’d like to use it as a filling for a fondant covered cake.
    Cheers and thanks.

• Sallyreplied on February 23rd, 2015 at 6:39 am

Refrigerated is best.

Rebeccaposted March 13, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Okay, I can’t resist that mint chocolate chip frosting anymore, I have to make these for St. Patrick’s Day next week!

Quick question – can the frosting be made a couple days ahead of time and refrigerated? Trying to save some time, I was going to whip up the frosting on Sunday and make the cupcakes on Monday night to bring to work on Tuesday. I’m assuming it’s okay as long as I keep in the refrigerator and maybe let ‘thaw’ a little bit before putting on the cupcakes but wanted to check. :)

• Sallyreplied on March 13th, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Yep– just cover tightly and refrigerate overnight. Take it out of the fridge about 1 hour before frosting to let it soften.

Maggieposted March 13, 2015 at 5:38 pm

These cupcakes are delicious!! As soon as I saw the pictures I knew I had to make them. I made 12 so I had leftover frosting, and could not stop myself from eating it by the spoonful! Basically, I ate the frosting as if it were ice cream, that’s how good it was! I followed the recipe exactly and they came out perfect!

Carolposted March 29, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Hi Sally,I made these cupcakes. They taste good,however they flatten as they cool and they did not have that crack appearance on the top.When I tested them the tester came out clean. Should I leave them to bake until they crack on top to maintain that dome shape.Thanks

Breannaposted June 9, 2015 at 8:23 pm

I made these cupcakes today and they look great!  I’m a beginner, so I think I may have done something wrong.  As someone else said, when I baked them, and tested them many time to make sure they were done, once they cooled there was a dent left in the center (not like the normal, happy, puffy, cupcake).  Is there something I could have done wrong?  I followed the recipe to the T, so I’m not sure what to do.  I’m not used to making from-scratch cupcakes, so any advise you could give me would be fantastic. :)  Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on June 10th, 2015 at 8:09 am

It sounds like opening and closing the oven and removing the cupcakes so frequently testing for doneness interrupted the baking process and the oven’s temperature. Hence, misshapen cupcakes. I recommend following the baking time suggested, testing them once, baking for another minute or two if they are not done and removing from the oven to allow to cool. I hope this helps.

dorothyposted June 28, 2015 at 7:45 am

Hey sally im a begginer baker can i know what is the temperature for baking mint chocolate cupcakes in Celsius ?

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2015 at 10:15 am

375°F (190°C)

samaha aliposted July 6, 2015 at 11:42 am

wow sally,these look decadent!will try dem out n tel u how popular they were:)

Raghavposted July 27, 2015 at 2:57 pm

The best homemade cupcakes ever! Absolutely delicious! Mine got done in 15 minutes and they are just the right amount of moist. Adding chocolate chips would have given them a better chocolate flavour.