S’mores Brownie Pie.

S’mores on top of a brownie pie – no campfire required!

S'mores Brownie Pie is a new favorite! Brownies will never be the same again.

It’s high time I baked a pie. But this isn’t your regular pie. Step aside apples, blueberries, pumpkin, and lemon meringue… pie has a new filling in town. And it sure is fit for a king (or queen).

Fudgy homemade brownies with gooey toasted marshmallows piled high inside a thick graham cracker crust (yep, that’s homemade too). Totally diet-friendly, right?!  And trust me, it’s actually pretty easy to make. And even easier to eat.

S'mores Brownie Pie is a new favorite! Brownies will never be the same again.

…and fun to eat.

Love the marshmallow goo!

S'mores Brownie Pie is a new favorite! Brownies will never be the same again.

I made this pie over the weekend for no reason at all. Perhaps it was me craving some summer sunshine, campfires, and chocolate all at once. Or perhaps it was because s’mores are simply the best dessert on earth. And I say that with an archive of over 350 dessert recipes. Yep, s’mores will always win. Well, sometimes.

While this pie may not be as easy as a traditional s’more, it’s quite honestly not that difficult to prepare. I made everything from scratch, except for the marshmallows. Homemade goodies just taste better than those chemical-laden storebought ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, I love the convenience of premixed ingredients, but with a recipe this easy – there’s simply no need for it.

The recipe starts with a simple from-scratch graham cracker crust. Want to know why this crust is better than storebought? It’s thicker! It has much more body. It’s nutty, buttery, and is not overly sweet like what you find at the store. Three ingredients: 10 full-size crushed graham crackers (approx 1.5 cups), 6 Tablespoons melted butter, and 1/3 cup of sugar. I love making graham cracker crusts because they are fool-proof and no-fuss compared to a traditional pie crust.

S'mores Brownie Pie is a new favorite! Brownies will never be the same again.

Next, make your brownie batter. The brownie batter is quite thick, so don’t be alarmed when you are mixing it. It had been a few months since I last made them and I forgot how thick the batter is – it is almost like fudge consistency.  And that’s exactly how it bakes up – fudgy and unbelievably rich. The best brownie I’ve ever had. The brownie batter requires no mixer and took me less than 5 minutes to make.

Tastier than a box mix, for sure.

S'mores Brownie Pie is a new favorite! Brownies will never be the same again.

{yes, I have monogrammed spatulas.  William’s Sonoma.}

Bake the brownie pie for about 28 minutes. Test it with a toothpick inserted in the center. You want it to come out with a few moist crumbs. You’re going to top it with marshmallows and stick it back into the oven for about 3 minutes. My marshmallows weren’t browning quick enough, so I turned on the broiler for an additional 1 minute. That got them nice and toasty much quicker.

Toasted marshmallow is one of the best flavors – ever. Who’s with me?

S'mores Brownie Pie is a new favorite! Brownies will never be the same again.

Allow it to cool to room temperature before slicing. Which will feel like a lifetime, trust me.

Any leftovers can be reheated for about 30 seconds in the microwave. And no, you probably won’t have any leftovers like we did. Only 2 people in this house! But I loved the leftover slices so much – a quick rotation in the microwave made the marshmallows puffy and even more gooey. So tasty.

When I posted a teaser photo of this pie on Instagram this weekend, you all got so excited! I’m glad to share it with you today, I know it’s going to be a hit at summer parties and get togethers. How can you resist?

S'mores Brownie Pie is a new favorite! Brownies will never be the same again.

S'mores Brownie Pie is a new favorite! Brownies will never be the same again.

Avoid sticky fingers and eat an upgraded version of s’mores.  Trust me, you’ll have yourself a new favorite dessert.

S'mores Brownie Pie

Makes 8-10 servings.

• 10 full-sheet graham crackers (or 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs)
  • 6 Tablespoons (90g) melted unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup (65g) granulated sugar

• 10 Tablespoons (150g) unsalted butter
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons (74g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, cold
  • 1/2 cup (62g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 25 large marshmallows (1/2 of a standard package or use mini marshmallows)

Preheat oven to 325F degrees.

Make the crust: Using a food processor or blender, pulverize the graham crackers into a fine crumb. Pour into a medium bowl and mix with melted butter and sugar. Press into an ungreased 8-inch or 9-inch pie dish. Set aside.

Make the brownies: Melt the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a large bowl in the microwave. Melt in 30 second increments and stir after each time until the butter is completely melted. The mixture will look gritty. Set aside for a few minutes as you get the other ingredients ready. You don’t want the mixture to be piping hot.

Stir in the vanilla extract. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring after each addition. The batter will be thick and look shiny. Add the flour, beating with a whisk until fully combined. Try not to overmix the batter at this point. Spoon into crust.

Bake for 28 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with marshmallows. Return to the oven and continue to bake for an additional 3 minutes to melt the marshmallows. If the marshmallows aren't toasted, turn on your broiler for 1 minute. Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before slicing. Run a very sharp knife under warm water when slicing; it helps slice neat pieces.

Pie tastes best at room temperature or reheated the day it is made. Any leftover slices should be heated for about 30 seconds in the microwave. Store pie at room temperature for up to 7 days. Do not freeze.

*For ease, you can use a box brownie mix instead to fill 1 pie!

Recipe adapted from The S'mores Cookbook

My Ultimate Fudge Brownies are made from the same batter as today’s pie.

Ultimate Fudge Brownies

See more s’mores recipes.

S'mores on top of a brownie pie - no campfire required!

Q: How was your Monday? Jude is feeling better from his tumor surgery last week, but still needs 24/7 attention. A gray, gloomy day forced me into the kitchen to bake cookies this afternoon. Maybe I should make Jude dog biscuits to help him feel better. :)

252 Responses to “S’mores Brownie Pie.”

Laurenposted August 3, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Hi Sally. Can I get the measurements in grams? Thanks :)

• Sallyreplied on August 4th, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hi Lauren! The recipe has been updated with gram measurements. Enjoy!

neelyposted August 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm

hi… i want to make this for a family gathering bt i want it to be fresh is it possible to make the crust and the brownie batter and put it in the fridge few hrs then bake it?

• Sallyreplied on August 3rd, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Hi Neely – yes, you can make the crust and batter ahead of time. Enjoy!

Colleenposted August 9, 2013 at 7:42 pm

The S’more pie was great. I sprayed a knife with Pam and it was much easier to cut.

• LaneMreplied on August 11th, 2013 at 11:29 am

What a great tip! I am about to make this pie for my friends for a party tonight and was wondering how to get such nice slices like Sally’s.

Hope you had a great vacation at Deep Creek, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on August 11th, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Thanks Lane! I did have a wonderful trip!

Lindaposted August 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

Hi! I made your chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes and they were amazing! I’m going to try this next but is it possible to make this in a proper cake tin since I don’t own a pie tin? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Hi Linda! A 9-inch square pan would be another option instead of the pie pan. Glad you love those cupcakes!

Lindaposted August 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm

My marshmallows didn’t get brown even after the broiler :(

• Sallyreplied on August 15th, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Really? So sorry Linda – I’m not sure how that could be under such heat?

• stephaniereplied on September 15th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Sometimes generic/store-brand marshmallows do not brown, they burn. That might be factor!

Julieposted August 31, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Hi Sally. I’m sorry to say that this recipe didn’t turn out for me. The brownie portion took more than 28 minutes to bake (and I usually have to lessen the baking time for everything else I bake), and the marshmallows never melted, just burned on top. I consider myself an experienced baker, so I’m not sure what the problem was. Thanks for sharing your recipe, though.

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2013 at 3:08 am

Hey Julie! It sounds like your broiler may have been too hot if your marshmallows burned before melting. As for the pie- I’d try a lower temperature. Do you own an oven thermometer? I know my oven runs hotter than most, so an oven thermometer sets me straight. I advise readers to use one too. Thanks for trying the pie!

Meganposted September 11, 2013 at 8:08 am

I’m making this for a family gathering of sorts, so I have to make it the night before. Would it be better to do everything the night before, or do the marshmallows in the morning beforehand? I’m not really sure how sitting in a fridge for 12 hours would affect the “gooeyness” of the marshmallows, I guess. :)

• Sallyreplied on September 11th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Hi Megan! Yes, make the brownie pie the night before. Cover and keep at room temperature over night. Then top with marshmallows and broil as the recipe suggests in the morning.

Meganposted September 11, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Thank you, Sally! I’m soo excited to make this, it looks amazing!

Lindsay Hposted September 17, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I am totally drooling over here with glazed over eyes. Once you see a picture like that, nothing can cure the craving except for this pie itself! I wish I could bake with you for a day! Best dessert blog ever!

• Sallyreplied on September 17th, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Hi Lindsay! You are so sweet. I’m glad you like the looks of this s’mores pie. I wish I had bakers in the kitchen with me too! It gets lonely with just my dog. 😉

Christina (Sisters Running the Kitchen)posted September 19, 2013 at 6:31 am

um, this looks amazing. i have to make this. AH!

• Sallyreplied on September 19th, 2013 at 9:07 am

I LOVE this pie Christina. Hope you try it!

Mira@Cupcake Makerposted September 28, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Hi Sally!I really ♥ this pie

april vposted December 16, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I made this and it was amazing! Question though, is the brownie par supposed to be gooey even after it cools? Mine turned out more like the middle of a lava cake

• Sallyreplied on December 16th, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Hey April! No, the brownie pie should be baked all the way through – definitely fudgy, but not raw. Perhaps bake for a bit longer next time.

Haleighposted December 21, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I think I will try this soon with some homemade marshmallos :)

Lauraposted December 27, 2013 at 12:37 am

Hi Sally! This looks incredible. However, I’m trying to use up some graham crackers in my kitchen, and I don’t have enough graham crackers. I also don’t want to go buy any more. Are there any substitutes for graham crackers? If so, what might they be? Please let me know if it will affect the recipe in any way. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on December 27th, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Hi Laura! Instead of graham crackers, you could make an Oreo cookie crust: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/07/28/cookie-dough-lovers-ice-cream-pie/

Or use Nilla wafers and graham crackers together. Really, any crunchy store-bought cookie would be fine.

• Laurareplied on December 28th, 2013 at 1:09 am

Thanks! I heard that digestive cookies worked well, would that be alright? And would I use the same amount of butter and sugar?

• Sallyreplied on December 28th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Yes! Those are quite similar to graham crackers. Sorry I didn’t suggest them at first, I didn’t know you weren’t in the US (we don’t have those here.)

Chaposted December 30, 2013 at 7:21 am

Tried this recipe but something went wrong :( it wasn’t firm and was too gooey. But overall it still tastes good! Still ate the pie! 😀 does this recipe really doesn’t call for baking soda or powder?

• Sallyreplied on December 30th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hi Cha – brownies do not typically call for chemical agents. And that wouldn’t have to do with a gooey texture. Sounds like your pie may have been under baked.

• Chareplied on December 31st, 2013 at 4:59 am

Oh okay. Thanks! Anyway, it still tastes good and im going to try again next time 😀 Do I have to set the oven on broiler when baking a pie? :)

• Sallyreplied on December 31st, 2013 at 10:33 am

Nope, just regular bake. Let me know how it goes again Cha!

Megposted January 2, 2014 at 12:43 pm

This past summer was “Let’s see how many different type of s’more things I can make”.
    Out of all the s’mores things I baked…this was my FAVORITE! Again, this is probably one of my top 10 favorite things I’ve ever made. The brownie was super chocolatey, the crust is the best go to graham cracker pie crust in existence. For the first few days I ate it without putting it in the microwave…I was living life all wrong. It only got like 10 times better once I heated it in the microwave.

I made this for ‘birthday pie’ for my camera’s 4th birthday (go ahead, you can laugh but my camera is my baby).

• Sallyreplied on January 2nd, 2014 at 2:44 pm

top 10 favorite things you’ve ever made!? What a compliment Meg – thank you! About your camera – hey, I’m not laughing! I treasure my camera too.

Cassieposted January 4, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Loved the flavor of this! Sadly, it didn’t work – what did I do wrong? My crust didn’t stick together and I don’t think it was done all the way through – it was like the consistency that it was when I put it in the oven. I swear I followed all the instruction to a T… but I cant stress enough how delicious it was (baked or not!)

Jocelyneposted January 12, 2014 at 7:35 pm

pinned your recipe last nigh so I had to make it today, duh! Lol. It’s it if the oven and cooking down, which, like you said, is taking forever!!!

Can’t wait to eat! Thanks for the recipe!

Susanposted January 20, 2014 at 11:51 am

I made this a couple of weeks ago, and it was delicious! I had a horrible time trying to cut it though! I just read through some of the comments, and will try running the knife under hot water before I try cutting this second one I’m about to make today. Do the marshmallows have to be put on immediately, or can I wait for the pie to cool and then an hour or so before I serve it, can I put the marshmallows on and brown them?

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Susan, you can do either or. I recommend putting the marshmallows on top and then cutting with a very sharp knife. (Hot water does help, yes!)

Chrikposted March 2, 2014 at 7:37 pm

We had a really hard time cutting this ( Served this on Saturday, Jewish Sabbath, so couldn’t turn on the hot water) but it was totally worth it! So, so awesome, I keep sneaking little pieces off still (just three pple eating so we still have some left over). SO not losing baby weight this way…oh well, no guilt feelings over this pie. Thank you!

Lisaposted March 14, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Sally- I made this for a Pi Day party at work. It was such a hit! Everyone loved it and the presentation was beautiful. Sticky marshmallow fingers from serving the pie was SO worth it. Loved it, thanks!!

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Happy it was a hit, Lisa! Thanks so much for reporting back.

Hayleyposted May 25, 2014 at 6:29 pm

I cannot wait to make this! I’ll be making it next week for my dad’s birthday (he likes pie, not cake)

Claraposted May 30, 2014 at 10:11 am

I hope Jude’s feeling better. :(

• Sallyreplied on May 30th, 2014 at 11:15 am

Thanks Clara! This was last year – and he is all healed up!

Sydneyposted June 2, 2014 at 10:06 am

I made this for the people I work with and they all loved it. It’s definitely one of my favorite recipes because I love anything s’mores and it’s so easy to make. I kind of went a little crazy with the marshmallows and had them overflowing on the pie, but it still looked amazing. Thank you so much for this recipe!

kellyposted June 13, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Looks Amazing! I’m gonna HAVE to make it! 😉

Janineposted July 3, 2014 at 5:33 am

can i use a springform pan instead of pie plate?

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2014 at 12:36 pm

That should be fine.

Alexis V.posted July 4, 2014 at 1:36 pm

I made this pie a couple of weeks ago and still can’t stop thinking about it! It was soooo good! Once it is chilled it cuts into beautiful slices and it tasted so dang good. If you’re a s’more lover, you’ve gotta try this.

Hayleyposted July 15, 2014 at 10:48 am

How many mini marshmallows would you suggest using? Based on the amount of regular sized marshmallows and the pictures, I would think about 2 cups but that could also be too many?

• Sallyreplied on July 15th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I’d say 1.5 – 2 cups.

Tehilaposted July 18, 2014 at 12:54 am

I just made this and it’s in the oven, baking is not forte, is the batter supposed to taste bitter or did i mess up? Anyone? Help!

Mandyposted September 3, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I made this for my sister’s birthday dessert. It got a great reaction and I was told to keep the recipe! The only change I made was to use almond meal instead of the flour in the brownies. And I was even able to get the marshmallow top toasted like in the picture :)

Yanceyposted September 13, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I made this delicious dessert and everyone loved it. It was so good I almost like the silver off the fork and others were literally licking their plates.:)

Regeenaposted November 21, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Hi! :) I’m just wondering, can I make this pie in a cake pan? I’m making this for my bestfriend’s birthday and that’s the only thing I have and pie pans in our country are sooo expensive. By the way, your creations are sooo gorgeous.

• Sallyreplied on November 22nd, 2014 at 10:20 am

yep that should be fine! make sure it is 2 inches deep.

kesposted December 5, 2014 at 4:55 am

Hi Sally! Somehow after baking, the crust wasnt tough, it broke apart easily and the brownie wasnt stiff either, any idea why?

Pamposted April 12, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Love your blog !! I am wondering if i could adapt this recipe and make it in a sheet pan. I would like to make it for about 60 people .
    Thanks ,

• Sallyreplied on April 13th, 2015 at 9:42 am

I’m sure you could, though the recipe would have to be doubled for a pan larger than 9×9.

sonyaposted May 1, 2015 at 8:03 pm

This caught my eye because there is a similar recipe at http://www.cookscountry.com for s’mores brownies that my husband loves, and i had just put it on my “to make soon” list :) Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alisaposted May 7, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I made two of these last night to take to a Teacher Appreciation luncheon, and this recipe is a new favorite! I needed a dessert that could be dropped off in the morning and sit at room temp until lunch, and this is perfect. Using the microwave to melt the butter let me mix two pies and get them in the oven in 15 mins. Baking took only 30 mins more. I did short cut and use purchased graham crusts because it was late and I was tired, but I used high quality Ghirardelli cocoa to make up for it. A double recipe made enough to fill two of the new larger Keebler graham crusts, plus two of the mini crusts for “sampling”. I left a 3/4″ gap between the edge of the crust and the outermost marshmallows, and they spread almost, but not quite to the edge allowing me to snap on the transport covers easily with no mess. Thank you for this wonderful recipe. It will be accompanying me to many summer picnics and parties!

Ericaposted May 10, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Hi Sally, my husband made this for me for Mothers Day at my request :). He followed the directions exactly but the brownie layer did not set up, it was still very gooey. Did it need to be baked longer or add a bit more flour? We live at 4000 feet, not sure if that makes a difference. We still ate it and it was yummy but I am wanting to try it again and not sure what to do differently.

• Sallyreplied on May 11th, 2015 at 8:02 am

Hi Erica! Happy belated Mother’s Day. What a sweet dessert to enjoy! It sounds like the brownie filling wasn’t baked all the way through. Your altitude definitely could play part in that too. I suggest baking it for a little longer. If you find the edges of the crust/brownie are baking too quickly, lower the oven rack and use a pie crust shield.

Lynnposted May 21, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Did you pre-bake the crust for this pie, per your instructions on making a graham cracker crust?

• Sallyreplied on May 22nd, 2015 at 9:34 am

In this recipe, the crust does not need to be pre-baked. Only pre-bake the crust if the recipe calls for it.

Amyposted May 21, 2015 at 11:04 pm

I want to make this for a Memorial Day picnic on Monday, but am going out of town early Saturday afternoon and won’t be back until about an hour before the picnic!! Would it be better to bake this on Saturday before I leave or to make it and refrigerate it until Monday and pop it in the oven when I get home?

• Sallyreplied on May 22nd, 2015 at 9:28 am

It is so much better freshly baked, Amy. You can assemble it and bake it on Monday right before the picnic.

Jillposted May 24, 2015 at 9:15 pm

I made this today for Memorial Day dessert and it was A-mazing!!!! Everyone loved it and it was the hit of the whole dinner. I will definitely be making this again. A unique twist on classic s’mores…thanks for the great recipe!

Heatherposted May 26, 2015 at 1:14 am

I made this for Memorial Day weekend and it was excellent. Very rich so don’t cut the pieces too large. I used large marshmallows but cut them in half and that seemed like a good marshmallow amount. I made the pie earlier in the day but waited to do the marshmallows right before I served it.

Thanks for another great recipe!

Amyposted July 15, 2015 at 8:32 am

This was a fun & easy pie to make! This was the monthly treat that my 6 year old friend & I made yesterday – perfect for summer. Her eyes got SO big when she peered into the oven door during the minute of broiling — like a kid on Christmas Eve. She was extremely concerned they would be “too toasty” – but, they were perfect. Thanks for another awesome recipe.

Cassieposted July 30, 2015 at 9:30 pm

I made the pie according to the printable directions and the chocolate layer turned out very undercooked.  It probably needed at least 10 additional minutes of cooking. The printable recipe did not mention checking for doneness woth a toothpick.  Maybe it would help if that was addded.

Other than the pie being raw the flavor was good.

• mcoffeesnobreplied on September 14th, 2015 at 10:15 pm

I too had to cook this longer.  Probably twice the time, and the marshmallows too…they were taking so long I turned up the oven to 375.  :)

Smells delightful and I’m sure it will be a hit!

Jenniferposted August 13, 2015 at 7:55 pm

This recipe caught my eye because I have a 13yr old who LOVES smores! She also really loves my baked goodies. I followed the directions “to the T” and somehow, things didn’t turn out the way you explained they would. The crust is mushy and the batter was as funny as the box kind. It also took well past 28 minutes to bake. Literally, I’m talking an hour or more. Could you please try to help me figure out what I did or didn’t do right? Thanks!

Mabelposted September 6, 2015 at 11:01 pm

This is hands down the most delicious thing I have ever made.

I’ve made it 2 or 3 times now, and every time I’m afraid that I’m overbaking the brownie, but it always comes out just as rich and fudgey as before. The crust is buttery and thick, and with that decadent, chocolatey brownie (the best recipe I’ve found by far) and gooey toasted marshmallow on top, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. My family found that it tasted best after being heated up in the microwave for 30-60 seconds, because I didn’t toast my marshmallows as much as yours and nuking it makes it extra gooey and that’s always a good thing. 😀 It was also delicious with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. ;D

Just wanted to thank you again for making such awesome, no-fail recipe – you are my go-to when I’m looking for something to bake. (There’s almost too many choices. 😀 My to-bake list is longer than the Great Wall of China.)

• Sallyreplied on September 7th, 2015 at 7:17 am

Thank you so much for reporting back, Mabel! Please let me know more recipes you try! I love hearing about it.

Jenny Bposted October 21, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Made this exactly according to directions and the brownie part was completely raw– not gooey– raw. Too bad because it looked like a really fun pie!

Jennifer B.posted October 21, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Can I use a 13×9 inch glass baking dish? If so, should I double the ingredients?

Brittneyposted November 6, 2015 at 2:51 pm

I tried this and love it! A regular in my house for sure! Featured it herehttp://www.eversobritty.com/happy-weekend-5-things-i-love-3/