Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls.

Soft Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls filled with a gooey cinnamon swirl and topped with maple cream cheese icing.

Soft Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze

I have gotten so many requests for pumpkin cinnamon rolls this year. I just love the way you all think. Pure geniuses, I tell ya. It was only a matter of time before I dove into the world of yeasted pumpkin dough. That’s right, pumpkin IN the dough. And I am so thankful I took the plunge.

These incredibly gooey cinnamon rolls have to be my favorite breakfast indulgence… ever. Unraveling each doughy pumpkin coil and tasting the melty pumpkin spices inside is my definition of “autumn heaven.” Look that phrase up in the dictionary; a picture of THESE rolls will be shown.

I’m on a total pumpkin binge right now and this is only the beginning of Sally’s 2013 Pumpkin Madness. Fellow Baltimorians: if pumpkin is sold out of your grocery store, I am likely the culprit…

Delicious Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls made completely from scratch. A must make this fall season! Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Drenching today’s glorious pumpkin pastries is a homemade maple cream cheese glaze.  I love maple and pumpkin together and am dying to make a batch of pumpkin pancakes just so I can drown them in maple syrup. Total comfort food, am I right?

I made today’s spiced-pumpkin rolls late yesterday morning so I could get some good pictures of them in the afternoon light.  I tasted one and vowed to save the rest for breakfast today. But I couldn’t hold off! I had a pumpkin cinnamon roll for dinner. With a salad. Life’s all about balance, right?

Want to make a batch of these irresistible pumpkin cinnamon rolls at home? Make sure you read the details I’ve described below before making the recipe.

First things first. Make your pumpkin dough. Warm 1/3 cup of milk with 2 Tablespoons of butter. Please use milk with a fat in it like 1% or 2%. The rolls don’t taste as dreamy with nonfat milk. Warm the two together until the butter is *just* melted.  A few butter specks is OK.  You want the mixture lukewarm, not scorching hot. Then, using your electric mixer, beat pumpkin puree, brown sugar, a dash of nutmeg, and salt together on medium speed. Add your warmed milk/butter to this mixture and beat until combined. Then add 1 beaten egg and the yeast. Beat all of this together for 30 seconds.

Now let’s talk about the flour. The first time I made these rolls, I used all-purpose flour.  The rolls were wonderful, but the second time I made them I chose to use bread flour. The bread flour makes them much softer! You may use all-purpose flour, but just know that the rolls will be slightly softer using bread flour.

After the dough is rolled out and covered with your filling, roll it up tightly and cut into 10-12 pieces. Arrange the rolls into a 9-inch pie or square dish, or an 11×7 baking pan. Allow the rolls to rise again until double in size, for about 1 hour. During this time you can light fall candles, browse Pinterest, and vacuum your living room. Which is exactly how I spent that time waiting. 😉

Or use my overnight option, which I noted at the bottom of the recipe below. That step saves time in the morning. Now it’s time to bake them! My rolls took about 26 minutes. I covered them for the last 10 minutes to prevent the tops of browning too much. All ovens are different and I would say to keep an eye on them after 20 minutes.

And now? The maple cream cheese glaze. I highly recommend you use pure maple syrup for the best flavor.  First, beat 3 Tablespoons of softened cream cheese (not low fat).  Once smooth, add 1/4 cup of pure maple syrup, 2 Tablespoons of milk, and 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar.  Beat it all into creamy perfection. And slather it all over the warm pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls - pure maple syrup for the glaze

The pumpkin cinnamon rolls taste best when they are warm. The gooey brown sugar/pumpkin spice filling will get all over your fingers.  The sticky maple cream cheese glaze will melt into every crevice. The soft insides of the pumpkin dough will make you wish it was pumpkin season all year (in my world, it is).

Because of pumpkin’s dense nature, the rolls aren’t as pillowy as my traditional cinnamon rolls. However, they’re still extremely soft and just as scrumptious. I hope to make these rolls again for my family over Thanksgiving. I get all of my pumpkin-lovin’ from them. My dad loves pumpkin pie even more than I do!

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Yield: 10-13 rolls

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes. See notes for overnight instructions.

Super soft Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls filled with a gooey cinnamon swirl and topped with maple cream cheese icing.

Pumpkin Dough

• 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk*
  • 2 Tablespoons (30 grams) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup (120 grams) 100% pure pumpkin
  • 2 Tablespoons (30 grams) packed dark brown sugar (or light brown)
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 and 1/4 teaspoons (1 standard package) instant active dry yeast
  • 2 and 1/2 cups  bread flour (340 grams) OR all-purpose flour (315 grams)* (measured correctly)

• 1/2 cup (100 grams) packed dark or light brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon EACH ground nutmeg and ground cloves*
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice*
  • 3 Tablespoons (45 grams) unsalted butter, melted

Maple Cream Cheese Glaze

• 3 oz (84 grams) full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (82 grams) pure maple syrup
  • 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) milk
  • 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners' sugar, sifted

1. Read all of the instructions typed out in the post above before beginning the recipe.
  2. Make the dough: warm the milk and butter together over the stove or in the microwave. Warm the two together until the butter is *just* melted.  A few butter specks is OK.  You want the mixture lukewarm (105-115F degrees), not scorching hot.  Set aside. Using your electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat pumpkin puree, brown sugar, a dash of nutmeg, and salt together on medium speed. Add your warmed milk/butter to this mixture and beat until combined. Then add 1 beaten egg and the yeast. Beat all of this together for 30 seconds, then turn your mixer to low speed and add 1 cup of flour. Mix for 5 full minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl frequently.  Add 1 and 1/4 cups more flour and beat for 1 more minute. The dough will be VERY, very, very soft. Place dough into a bowl coated with nonstick spray.  Turn the dough around in the bowl so all sides of the dough are coated.  Cover tightly with plastic saran wrap and allow to rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size. This will take about 60-75 minutes. I place my dough into an oven that I pre-heated to 200F degrees and then turned off. Read above for more specific details.
  3. The dough will be very puffy after this time. See above for how the dough should look.  Punch the dough down to deflate it and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, a pastry mat, or a silicone baking mat. Knead the dough a few times to form a smooth dough.  You will need to add 1/4 cup more flour to make it easy to handle. The dough will stick to your hands, so flour your hands as well. You want the dough as soft as possible, so don't go adding too much flour. Anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup would be OK.
  4. Make the filling: Roll the dough out into a 16x10 inch rectangle. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and spices into a small bowl.  Spread the top with melted butter and then sprinkle evenly with brown sugar mixture. See above for a photo. Roll it up tightly. Using a very sharp knife, cut into 10-13 pieces, about 1.5 inches each. (I cut the ends off of my dough log, so I have 11 rolls). Arrange rolls into a 9-inch or 11x7 inch pan that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray. Allow the rolls to rise again in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size. This takes about 1 hour (or use my overnight option, detailed below).
  5. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Bake the rolls for 22-28 minutes, covering with aluminum foil at the 15 minute mark to prevent heavy browning. My rolls took 24 minutes.
  6. Make the glaze: Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the softened cream cheese in a medium bowl on medium speed until smooth. Add the maple syrup and milk and beat on high until smooth. Add the sifted confectioners' sugar and beat on medium speed until creamy. Pour over warm cinnamon rolls. Rolls taste best served on the same day, though they remain fresh for one day covered tightly at room temperature. Unglazed rolls freeze well up to 2 months.

*For the milk: please use milk with fat in it, such as 1% or 2%, or whole if you want a soft-textured roll.

*For the flour: As mentioned in the post above, I found that my rolls were softer using bread flour, as opposed to using all-purpose flour.

*2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice may be used instead of the starred spices listed in the filling.

Overnight: Prepare the rolls through step 4. Instead of allowing the cut rolls to rise in a warm environment, place the pan into the fridge and allow the rolls to rest for up to 14 hours before baking. When it’s time to bake the next day, allow the rolls to come up to room temperature and rise for 1 hour on the counter, or until almost doubled in size. Then, bake as directed.

A couple step-by-step shots to help guide you.

The dough, risen:

Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Dough

Rolling out the dough:

Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Dough

Cut & ready to rise again:

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls - cut and ready to rise

Doubled in size after rising:

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls - after rising, ready to be baked

Yum!  See more breakfast recipes, including some healthier options.

177 Responses to “Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls.”

Nina McLachlanposted September 30, 2013 at 5:31 pm

This is my first time on your blog, and I already have a list of things I want to try from here! But first I need to ask, where did you get that awesome mat with all the measurements? It must make rolling things out ridiculously easier!

• Sallyreplied on September 30th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Hi Nina! So glad you stumbled upon my website. I hope you make a lot of delicious goodies from it. :) I actually linked to that pastry mat in this post. If you read the post and follow the link, you’ll see where I ordered it from. I love it – it makes rolling so much easier!

Anaposted October 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Hi Sally! I totally want to reach through the screen, so I’ll be making these asap! I’ve meaning to try these rolls and the pumpkin cookies too, but have one technical doubt related to the pumpkin puree. In Spain this is not sold ready-made like in the US, so I’ll be making my own. We’re in pumpkin season, so no problem, there. Should I just bake the pumpkin either in the microwave or in the oven or should it be boiled? Any timings and heat settings recommended? Thanks a bunch, keep up the great work lady, the book is sure going to be awesome! Already pre-ordered it;)

• Sallyreplied on October 2nd, 2013 at 9:34 am

Hi Ana! I have never tried either recipe with pumpkin made from scratch. So I’m not the best to give advice on how to make it 100% homemade. However, I usually refer my readers to this very detailed post from the Pioneer Woman (she’s great). I would read up on how she makes her pumpking puree and then use that in my two recipes. Enjoy! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/make-your-own-pumpkin-puree/

• Anareplied on October 3rd, 2013 at 4:58 am

Thanks a bunch! The link is great, hopefully will be baking the cookies this afternoon or tomorrow and will let you know hoy it turned out with homemade puree!

Sarahposted October 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I am undecided on whether or not I like pumpkin, but these look absolutely delightful. I do like cinnamon rolls. I may have to bake these and further test my pumpkin palette.

Beautiful photography as always too! :)

• Sallyreplied on October 1st, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Thank you Sarah! I hope you try them.

Emily @ Life on Foodposted October 1, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I wanted to make pumpkin cinnamon rolls last fall and never got around to it. This year these are definitely happening.

• Sallyreplied on October 1st, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I hope you enjoy them, Emily! I meant to make pumpkin cinnamon rolls last year too and these were worth the wait!

Renee @ Awesome on $20posted October 2, 2013 at 2:24 am

I must have these in my life! I love unravelling a cinnamon roll. That last bite of soft gooeyness is the best high ever!

Mposted October 3, 2013 at 1:46 am

I usually am a big fan of your recipes…. but I made these twice, and both batches went in the trash :-(
    The remainder of the pumpkin went into your delicious lightened-up pumpkin bars, which turned out wonderful, as always!

• Sallyreplied on October 3rd, 2013 at 9:04 am

Good morning M! Could you let me know what you didn’t like about the rolls? I would love to work on the recipe so I can improve it for you. I love those lightened up bars!

• Mreplied on October 3rd, 2013 at 11:29 am

Hi Sally!
        I am 100% confident you would not have posted the recipe if they turned out the same for you! :-)
        Just so disappointing to have such poor similar results for both batches.
        Both times, the rolls had very little flavor and were rather dry. The first time, the dough was so sticky and moist that it absorbed every drop of flour it could find – including any I added plus any that was on the board. The results of that batch were extremely dry and cakey (I assume because of the flour it absorbed). The second time I was more cautious to avoid that, so they were slightly better, but still very dry and very bland.
        I am definitely not a real baker, but I have generally had success with your recipes and most others that I follow. I just don’t know what went to wrong for me with these. =(

• Sallyreplied on October 3rd, 2013 at 11:46 am

I appreciate your feedback! I’ve been working on a few changes to the recipe since I woke up this morning. I’m a very determined baker. :) Anyway, I used a few tricks from another sweet roll recipe of mine that produces super soft rolls. I think that you (and my other readers!) will find this updated recipe even better. I think they are much softer and have more flavor. I’m going to add updated photos to the post today as well. I always love getting feedback. Thanks M!

• Mreplied on October 3rd, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Oh my! You are amazing!!
        I hope you didn’t redo the recipe only because of my feedback, but I’m definitely excited to give it another try soon! The revisions make sense to me; I’ll report back when I give this one a shot.
        I have made your original cinnamon rolls (w/yeast, can’t remember the name), and those were fantastic! Hope these will now fall into that category. :-)
        ~ Marsha

• Sallyreplied on October 3rd, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I had second thoughts about the dough for the past few days. Luckily, I had a free morning and was able to work on improving. You gave me the push to revise the recipe. :) Thank you Marsha!

Katie @ Veggie and the Beastposted October 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm

These are SO beautiful! I love pumpkin in my everything this time of year, so why not cinnamon rolls? They sound like a lovely project for a rainy fall weekend :)

• Sallyreplied on October 3rd, 2013 at 4:44 pm

“pumpkin in my everything” haha! I love it. I’m the same way.

katherineposted October 5, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I can’t wait to make these! One question though. I need to use instant yeast, instead of regular active dry yeast?

• Sallyreplied on October 6th, 2013 at 9:05 am

Hey Katherine! You may use regular active dry yeast. Your rise times may be a bit longer though. Hope you enjoy!

• Nicolereplied on November 3rd, 2013 at 11:02 am

Would u still ad the non instant active dry Yeast in at the same time? Or would u activate over the warm milk first?

• Sallyreplied on November 3rd, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Yes, you can still add it in at the same time as the recipe calls for.

Alishaposted October 6, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Having never used yeast outside of my bread machine, I was terrified. But, they turned out amazing. I’m not a big maple fan, nor did I have any.. So I just did a little more cream cheese and some pumpkin pie spice.. yum. Although… I didn’t see the note at the bottom until the end.. Only keeps up to one day… hmmm.. I think we can handle that. 😉

• Sallyreplied on October 7th, 2013 at 6:23 am

Thanks Alisha! I’m so happy you enjoyed these fall cinnamon rolls. A new favorite of mine.

Mandalynposted October 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Sally, I just wandered upon your blog a few weeks ago and I have used a few of your cookie recipes (THE chocolate chip, birthday cake and pumpkin chocolate chip) and had great success! I will definitely be buying your cookbook and trying out these babies this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing all of your awesome recipes!! You rock!

• Sallyreplied on October 10th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I hope you enjoy these cinnamon rolls, Mandalyn! Let me know how they go.

And I’m happy you found my blog! And that you’re loving my cookie recipes so far. You have chosen some amazing ones to try first. I’m glad you’re excited for my cookbook!

• Mandalynreplied on October 11th, 2013 at 9:01 am

I had some free time last night, so I decided to make your pumpkin cinnamon rolls. They are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!! And, so big, soft, and fluffy. I used pumpkin pie spice instead of nutmeg, cloves and allspice, but other than that, I followed your recipe exactly. Thanks again for creating these!!

• Sallyreplied on October 11th, 2013 at 9:57 am

I’m glad you made them, Mandalyn. And even more glad that you loved them! :)

Lorenaposted October 12, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Did you use your dough hook for this recipe?

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2013 at 9:14 pm

The paddle attachment.

Keriposted October 13, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Sally, You are my “go-to-gal” now! I never comment online, but I HAD to write and say that you have made me into a cinnamon bun chef! I’m not exaggerating when I say that over the years of my marriage I have tried close to a dozen cinnamon bun recipes and I have always managed to make them flop! They are too hard, or yeasty, or just bland. I had honestly given up on making them, but then I saw your Caramel Apple Cinnamon Bun recipe and decided to try one more time! I can’t tell you the ooo’s and ahh’s I got from my husband! He doesn’t easily hand out those kinds of compliments, but he told me that was the best thing he had ever eaten – it was his new favorite! Now today (since it is Thanksgiving in Canada) I made these pumpkin cinnamon buns, and as my husband bit into one he closed his eyes and smiled a huge smile! Home run again! I hope I can encourage any other ladies out there who are hesitant to try making cinnamon buns, to boldly take the plunge! Sally’s recipes are so well laid out – and the pay-off is huge! Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful tips and secrets and mostly the amazing recipes!

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Keri, this comment made my night! I am so happy that you’ve learned so much about making cinnamon rolls from my recipes! I had to learn from a lot of mistakes myself. Trust me, I went though my flop recipes just like you. The two recipes you’ve tried so far – these pumpkin cinnamon rolls and the caramel apple – are two of the best in my opinion!

You are so kind to take the time to leave this comment. Truly, it means a lot to me. Thank you very much Keri! Let me know anything you make next :)

kellyposted October 14, 2013 at 9:41 pm

These look sooo good sally! I will have to try them!

• Sallyreplied on October 14th, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Let me know how you like them, Kelly!

Megan Oposted October 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

Hi Sally! Do you think I could use maple sugar (purchased from Trader Joe’s) in the icing instead of syrup? Just curious because I have some in the pantry and need to use it!

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Yep! That would be just fine. Enjoy!

kellyposted October 23, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Sally, I made these tonight and oh my goodness!!!! You are such a talented baker! They were a huge success as is everything I make of yours! I loved the frosting *sigh* I can NOT thank you enough!

• Sallyreplied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:34 am

Hey Kelly! I am so happy that you enjoyed these cinnamon rolls. I am making them again this weekend! I can’t get enough. Thanks for reporting back!

Sarahposted October 24, 2013 at 5:37 am

Hi Sally

I’m a long time follower of your blog, and more recently your instagram feed. I love the way you bake with love and put a stamp of your personality into everything you make. I get such a clear sense of your love of the changing season, and pumpkin!

This time of year always makes me feel so much part of a global baking community – as you and other US bloggers are relishing in the autumn (fall) cool change and comfort food galore, here in Australia we are slurping on the first Mango’s of summer and searching out the late season citrus.

It is interesting the product differences between the States and Australia – some things just don’t exist here. Pretzel M&M’s for one! Also, it is very hard to find pre-made pumpkin puree in Australia. I think I will need to make my own. Do you recommend a particular type of pumpkin for this? Butternut? I can’t wait to give these gorgeous rolls a try.

Thank you for sharing your gorgeous recipes and photo’s. I can’t wait for your book!

• Sallyreplied on October 24th, 2013 at 6:43 am

Hi Sarah! It is always so nice to hear from Australian readers this time of year. All of the ingredients I’ve been using aren’t exactly summery, so it makes my day to hear from those across the world who aren’t relishing the same flavors that we are in the states. I’m so happy you enjoy my blog, no matter what time of year for either of us!

For these rolls, I suggest making pumpkin puree from a sugar or pie pumpkin. That will give you the best results.

Vanessaposted October 24, 2013 at 3:41 pm

These look amazing! Pumpkin and cinnamon? Count me in!

Jaedynposted October 27, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Wow! Can I say delicious? These rolls were a delightful combination of pumkiny fall deliciousness and spices tasted like an October morning, yumm! I have to admit that before I put the dough to rise I seriously doubted this recipe but when I pulled out the fluffy dough and it had actually risen, I couldn’t believe it! I used al lpurpose flour and they turned out just fine, also i battled the second-day blues by 30 seconds in the microwave, they were warm, gooy and soft, so devine! What a yummy treat, can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

• Sallyreplied on October 27th, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I’m glad these pumpkin cinnamon rolls were a hit, Jaedyn! I’ve made them twice since posting this recipe. Everyone loves them. So fluffy, you are right!

Kaceyposted October 30, 2013 at 2:32 pm

do you think these would be yummy with an apple cinnamon filling?

Sallyposted November 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Hey Cassie! I’m sorry that you missed that whole paragraph in the post. I instruct to roll the dough and to make sure you flour the counter because of the dough’s stickiness. Thank you for trying my recipe!

• Cassiereplied on November 17th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I thought I was supposed to knead it on a floured surface and then roll it out on a non-floured surface. Whoops!

stephanieposted November 19, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I have been searching for a pumpkin cinnamon bun recipe for weeks and I believe I found a winner! This is the first year I’m going to my boyfriend family’s house for t-giving and I dont want to show up empty handed. I want to make the dough in advance so I dont make a mess of his mothers kitchen. Do you recommend I let the dough rise a second time then freeze them? Also, should I defrost the dough completely or can I bake them frozen. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on November 20th, 2013 at 6:07 am

Hi Stephanie, the overnight instructions provided are the best and only way to make these rolls ahead of time. Do not freeze the rolls at all before baking.

Overnight: Prepare the rolls through step 4. Instead of allowing the cut rolls to rise in a warm environment, place the pan into the fridge and allow the rolls to rest for up to 14 hours before baking. When it’s time to bake the next day, allow the rolls to come up to room temperature and rise for 1 hour on the counter, or until almost doubled in size. Then, bake as directed.

Tirshaposted December 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm

How does sweet potato sound, still using the same spices ? In Mexico right now, have to bake for a bake sale. For Saturday

• Sallyreplied on December 2nd, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Hi Tirsha, I’ve never tried these rolls with cooked sweet potato before. Though I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Enjoy!

• Tirshareplied on December 2nd, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Will trial run it tomorrow after shopping and let you know how it went.

Rosa M Lilloposted December 5, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I’m planning to make a batch (or two) of these wonderful-can’t-live-without-them-any-more pumpkin cinnamon rolls.
    But I just have a little silly doubt: I think there may be an error with the equivalents (volume/weight) when you say “3 Tablespoons (84 grams) full-fat cream cheese…”.
    If I’m not mistaken, there’re 225 grams in 1 cup of cream cheese and there’re always 16 tablespoons in 1 cup, so 3 tablespoons would be more like 42 grams (the same with butter), that is, half of the 84 grams above. So, is it actually 3 tablespoons or 84 grams instead?
    Sorry about the bore conference about measures… :(
    Thanks in advance! xx

• Sallyreplied on December 5th, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Hi Rosa – it should actually read 3 ounces cream cheese, not 3 Tablespoons. So sorry about that. I just fixed it. So you will need 3 oz (84g) cream cheese.

• Rosa M Lilloreplied on December 5th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Oh, Sally, thanks a lot for your quick response and the info! I really appreciate it :)

• Rosa M Lilloreplied on January 16th, 2014 at 3:37 am

Well, it’s done! They turned out spectacularly rich, soft, incredibly scented, and full to the brim with flavour. Definitely a keeper!
        Thanks again for another fabulous recipe, Sally :)
        PS I’m so glad to see you’re starting to sorting all out with the new home…

• Sallyreplied on January 16th, 2014 at 10:36 am

Thanks Rosa. We are certainly getting settled into the new apartment. You are so kind, I appreciate that! And I’m glad you loved these. Their smell as they bake is almost as good as their taste!

Jill Tposted December 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thank you so much for the delicious recipe! The rolls were a huge hit with my family. I used bread flour and the overnight method, they turned out perfect!

Keriposted December 6, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Hi Sally!
    I’ve baked your Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns a couple times now and my family LOVES them! This time when I baked them they turned out dry and I was so sad! I know it’s not the recipe because like I said, I have made them before and they were melt in your mouth fluffy – yummy! I’ve tried to look through some of your other articles for tips but couldn’t find anything. I was hoping that perhaps this has happened to you and you could give me some hints as to what I did to make them turn out dry…. probably lots of factors, but hopefully you have some of your wonderful wisdom to help me out! I’ll list a few things I did different this time and maybe one will strike you as wrong! I use a convection oven (some other articles say this can be bad). Because of my busy day I proofed them a lot longer both times they rested. Also, my pumpkin puree had been frozen and I thawed it before using it (which changed the texture of the puree). Or maybe I just simply cooked them too long (24 min. in my oven). They looked beautiful, but were a bit dry :( I know it’s an awesome recipe so I will definitely be trying them again, but was just hoping you have learned some tips for these things in all your baking experience! Thank you so much if you have time to answer this with all your busy-ness and the Christmas season!

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2013 at 8:36 am

Hey Keri! I am SO glad you love these cinnamon rolls. They are a favorite here – my fiancé doesn’t even like pumpkin and he happily eats these.

It sounds like a few factors led to this batch being a bit dry. First, make sure you use fresh (not frozen) or canned (not frozen) pumpkin puree. That’s so important! Texture is everything when it comes to yeast doughs and that likely had a lot to do with the changed texture in this batch. And bake time- so important! Maybe a few minutes less next time.

• Kerireplied on December 8th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks so much for the help! I”m actually trying your raspberry ones next – (mmm, they’ve been tempting me for months) and I will keep all these tips in mind!

Maggieposted December 26, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Hi Sally!
    i just made these rolls for Christmas yesterday (and got up at 4:30 to make sure they would be ready for my early-riser family :) )But man, it was worth it! These cinnamon rolls were an absolute hit! They turned out perfectly and were soft, gooey, and oh so addicting! Thank you so much for this recipe-I think I’ve finally convinced everyone that homemade cinnamon rolls are so much better than the ones that come in a tube!
    Love your site!

• Sallyreplied on December 27th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Maggie, these cinnamon rolls are SO worth it! So happy you tried them out. And yes, so much better than any of that fake stuff in a tube. 😉 I am so appreciative you reporting back to me about these – thank you!

Lelijaposted December 30, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I made these today, and they were just so freaking delicious :) My family loved them, right after they took a bite they immediately said that they were amazing. It was a hit :)

• Sallyreplied on December 31st, 2013 at 10:43 am

Wonderful to hear!

Catherineposted September 11, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I am going to make these rolls this weekend, but I do have a question: I only have a hand mixer so I don’t think I have the paddle attachment. So what else I can do to mix the dough? I can use the hand mixer but I think it’s too heavy for it to mix?

• Sallyreplied on September 11th, 2014 at 5:14 pm

You may use a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula to mix. It will take awhile and some arm strength.

Alisonposted October 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

I love pumpkin and maple together! Thank you Thank you Thank you for doing the maple frosting! I am making these this weekend!

Lauraposted October 3, 2014 at 3:31 pm

These are yummy! I have a tip from another recipe that makes the overnight version even easier. Put cinnamon rolls straight from refrigerator into a COLD oven then turn on to 350 and bake for same time. Also, cover with foil as you recommend to prevent over browning. The rolls rise while the oven is preheating. Worked so well for me and you don’t have to wait as long in the morning!

Lauraposted October 3, 2014 at 3:32 pm

I answered my own question … Bread machine worked great and I let the dough rise in there for a while. :(

Arianaposted October 30, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Would the dough work in a bread machine? Thanks!

Kimposted February 8, 2015 at 12:37 am

I’ve made these four times now. Each and every time they’ve come out amazing. I’ve had two people who are self-proclaimed “not a fan of pumpkin” try these and love them, which lets you know what the rest of those who’ve tried them think. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe! I’ll be making them again and again and again!

Ireneposted March 16, 2015 at 6:42 pm

These cinnamon rolls are beyond awesome! Made these last night. Had to wait though for a couple of hours for the dough to rise before putting the filling. Did put them in a warmed oven. They came out so soft and fluffy. They’re so addictive, I could finish a whole batch. This is the first recipe of yours that I tried. Will definitely try your other recipes. Thanks heaps!

Niaposted March 22, 2015 at 5:02 am

Hi Sally! I plan to make this for my friends, but I guess these are too many of the. So, I plan to halve the recipe. But, is it okay to halve the recipe? I’m not so sure because it only calls for 1 tbsp of butter in it. Thanks :)

• Sallyreplied on March 22nd, 2015 at 10:36 am

I don’t recommend halving. How about baking them all and freezing extras for a couple months.

Stephyposted September 21, 2015 at 5:40 pm

I’ve made this a couple of times, and I think it bears mentioning that although you don’t specify in the recipe, it’s really important to use Grade B maple syrup rather than Grade A. The Grade A doesn’t really have much flavor to it.

opauline Sheltonposted September 22, 2015 at 10:32 am

Sally I just wanted to let you know that I had ran across your recipe for pumkin rolls. Let me tell you something they are the bomb .I will always make this recipe I loved the flavor texture and every thing about it. Thank you for sharing it with every one.

Ashley Cposted September 30, 2015 at 10:04 am

I just made these …OMGosh they are AMAZING thank you so much for this recipe I will be making these a lot !

Heatherposted October 7, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Hi!  Yeast is very intimidating to me.  Help!  For this recipe, do I need to proof the yeast first? Or do I just toss it in and start beating with the other ingredients?

• Sallyreplied on October 7th, 2015 at 4:30 pm

I usually do not proof it when I make this dough, but you definitely can.

jovinaposted October 17, 2015 at 7:37 am

hi sally! basically it’s fall and i wanted to try something new because i just bought this awesome pumpkin puree in the store and i’ve never made something with pumpkin mainly because i’m not really fond of them. so i stumbled upon your recipe since it popped up first, and i tried it, fearlessly.. and it came out wonderfully!! i’m 14 years old and i cant thank you enough for coming out with this recipe. the only thing that bugs me is the glaze, which seems too sweet for me, maybe decrease the sugar amount a little bit? Overall, i adore this recipe and everyone must try this!

JoAnn O.posted November 12, 2015 at 9:42 am

I love the idea, but I might need another recipe. These rolls were yummy, but there wasn’t enough pumpkin flavor for my taste. Maybe next time,  I’ll use pumpkin butter in place of puree. Of course, it may just be so late in the pumpkin season that my pumpkin tolerance is ridiculously high. ;0)

Jamieposted November 24, 2015 at 8:01 pm

I can not find the packets of instant active yeast anywhere.  In my cabinet I have red star active dry yeast (not instant) and red star platinum premium instant yeast.  Which do you think would be best? And what should I expect in terms of change in rising time?  Thanks so much!

• Sallyreplied on November 24th, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Platinum. No change is rise times.