How to make: Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas.

Chickpeas roasted to cinnamon-spiced perfection. Only 4 ingredients required. Crunchy, sweet, healthy, and definitely irresistible!

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

I know what you’re thinking.  Chick-peas? Beans?!?!?!

Yes!  Roasting chick peas is nothing new to me, but it may certainly be unfamiliar to you.  I love to coat these little beans in different spices and roast them to crunchy perfection. They lose all of their bean-y taste and remind me of crunchy nuts. My favorite way to roast ’em is to slather them in cinnamon-sugar.  Are you surprised?!

If you’ve never tried roasted chickpeas before, you’re missing out! Luckily, I have a step-by-step tutorial to show you how to make this healthy little snack. It’s easy and only requires 4 simple ingredients.

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

I typically make two cans at a time. Having a protein and fiber-packed snack lying around prevents me from digging into my cookie stash every hour.  Though I want to, I can’t live off of salted caramel cookies alone.  I am trying on wedding gowns this month after all. 😀

Today I’ll share how to make 1 can of roasted chick peas.  Trust me, you’ll find it hard to not eat the entire cinnamon-spiced batch!  But I warn you to steer clear from eating too many of these addicting little guys at once. They’re beans. So… umm… ya know.

Let’s get started.

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

First, begin with 1 can of chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans).

Drain and rinse them very, very well.  I prefer to rinse the beans under very cold water to remove their starch.

Crunchy Cinnamon-Roasted Chick Peas

The next step is quite important.

Pat your chickpeas very dry.  You want every drip of water off of your beans.  Any remaining moisture will prevent them from getting crunchy during the roasting process.  I usually pat them dry with several paper towels.  Let them sit uncovered for 10 minutes, then go back to patting them dry a few more times.

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

{current favorite polish color: Essie “For the Twill of It”}

As you pat the chickpeas dry, you’ll find that their skins may easily be coming off on your paper towel. That’s fine!  I actually prefer that their little outer layer is removed.  If you wish to take the time to remove the skins, feel free.

Here are my patted-dry chickpeas.  I removed the outer later from most of the beans, but again – that’s not mandatory.

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

Now it’s time to put the beans into the oven. You’ll find that a lot of recipes for roasted chickpeas flavor the beans with coatings before going into the oven.  I don’t do that.  I slightly roast them first, then coat them, then roast the beans some more.  This little trick I’ve picked up helps them get crunchier.

Preheat the oven to 400F degrees and stick the beans in for about 15 minutes.  After this time, take the beans out of the oven and drizzle 1 Tablespoon of olive oil on top.  Then sprinkle heavily with a combination of cinnamon and sugar.  Sometimes I use brown sugar, sometimes white.  Other times I sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. The spices are completely up to you and I’ve listed several options in the notes of the recipe found below.

Here is a photo of the beans half-way through baking and coated with olive oil and cinnamon-sugar. Mmm, so good. But they’re not quite ready yet.  Back into the oven.

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

Roast the chickpeas for 15 more minutes.

Here’s another little trick I’ve learned.  I picked it up from my Crunchy Baked Apple Chips and Crispy Sweet Potato Fries recipes.  Turn the oven off, crack the door open slightly, and leave the beans inside as the oven cools down.  Sitting in the oven as it cools down, rather than sitting at room temperature, will help the beans get crunchier.  The crunchier, the better in my opinion!

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

Obviously you may not have time for that step, so it’s not mandatory.  But I try to plan ahead so I have time. I usually roast the beans on lazy Sunday afternoons so I have an after dinner snack while I watch The Big Bang Theory reruns and catch up on weekend emails.

I have found that the chickpeas only stay super crunchy for about 1 day due to their moisture content.  While they aren’t mushy at all, they’ve lost some crisp by day 2.  I still love them any which way.

They’re great as a topper for salads, perfect snack to enjoy snuggled on the couch, and my favorite way to eat them? Road trips.  I made a huge batch of these when Kevin and I drove to Deep Creek Lake earlier this year. The weekend he proposed. :)

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

Sweet and crunchy, this little snack will have your house smelling like cinnamon-spiced Christmas candles. The roasted chickpeas remind me of my favorite homemade candied nuts and are a perfect substitute for those of you with nut allergies. I feel a little better munching away on them too.

So go ahead, join me in my roasted chickpea love.  I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

How to make Crunchy Cinnamon-Sugar Roasted Chickpeas. Healthy and addicting!

**See more seasoning ideas at the bottom of the recipe.

Roasted Cinnamon-Sugar Chickpeas

Yield: about 2 cups

Chickpeas roasted to cinnamon-spiced perfection. Crunchy, sweet, healthy, vegan, gluten-free and definitely irresistible!

• 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas (garbanzos)
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar or packed light/dark brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat. Set aside.

In a large strainer, rinse and drain the chickpeas very well to remove the starch. Spread them out onto prepared baking sheet and pat very, very dry. The drier the chickpeas, the crunchier they will be. The skin of the bean may peel off as you pat them dry. That is ok. You may remove the skins or leave them on. I like to remove them, but that takes time and is not mandatory.

Once 100% dry, place chickpeas into the oven and roast for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil. Using a large spoon or spatula, mix the beans around to make sure they are all evenly coated. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle over beans. Mix around very well to heavily coat each bean.  The beans will be flavorless, so you want to make sure each one is thoroughly coated. Add more cinnamon-sugar if you'd like. Place back into the oven and roast for another 15 minutes.

Leaving the chickpeas inside, turn the oven off and crack open the door slightly. Allow the chickpeas to sit inside as the oven cools down for 30 minutes. This will help them get crunchier as opposed to sitting at room temperature.  Chickpeas are crunchiest on day 1. Store at room temperature.

*This recipe may easily be doubled, tripled, or halved.  Make sure you do not crowd the baking sheets with beans. Bake in batches if doubling or tripling.

*Seasoning suggestions: instead of cinnamon-sugar, try sprinkling with olive oil+salt+pepper+cayenne. You could also drizzle with olive oil+cinnamon+ 1 Tbsp of pure maple syrup instead of the granulated/brown sugar. Or try olive oil+pumpkin pie spice+brown sugar. Or olive oil+cayenne+salt+cumin.

Let’s see all of that together…

How to make Crunchy Roasted Chick Peas by Use any different spices - I love cinnamon-sugar!

Here are a few more healthy snack ideas from my kitchen to yours. :)

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

Baked Cinnamon Apple Chips

Apple Spice Quinoa Granola

Apple Spice Quinoa Granola

Skinny Almond Joy Milkshakes

Skinny Almond Joy Milkshakes

Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Baked Crispy Sweet Potato Fries.  Easy & cheap. |

Healthy Peanut Butter Chunk Oatmeal Bars

Healthy Peanut Butter Chunk Oatmeal Bars

156 Responses to “How to make: Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas.”

Lisaposted December 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm

You know I was just thinking, I bet dry hidden valley ranch packets would be wonderful with these! I may try that with your other flavor combos. Just thought of the ranch and thought I would share!

• Sallyreplied on December 15th, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Yes! They would be Lisa. I’ve never tried it. Let me know if you do!

Connieposted January 7, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Yum…….in the oven now with garlic, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt……smell delicious…..thanks for all the tricks!

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I love that combination of flavors Connie. Enjoy!

Anneposted January 18, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I had a serious craving for your Mom’s seasoned pretzel recipe (sooooo good!) but didn’t have any pretzles…sigh. I was looking at your other recipes for inspiration and came across these…and was inspired! I halved the spice mix from the pretzel recipe and used two cans of chickpeas. The results are amazing! I got the fix I needed. Thanks Sally

• Sallyreplied on January 18th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

I can only imagine how good the seasoned pretzel spice mix is on these roasted chickpeas. I have to try it! Thanks Anne.

Archie0077posted February 16, 2014 at 7:17 am

The blog posted is very interesting from all aspects and it will surely benefit the readers by all means.
    bast of luck

Nutritionmagicianposted February 22, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Just made these and at the sitting in the open with the door cracked open stage. Of course couldn’t resist trying them–they are awesome but mine are not crunchy. I’m going to try dehydrating them after I take them out of the oven to see if that crisp them more.

I used coconut oil instead of olive, a little maple syrup and a ton of cinnamon. Oh and for taking the skins off I covered them in water in a bowl after rinsing and “massaged” them gently. The skins separated and I could skim them off the top. You have to repeat multiple times but it works. Loved the hair dryer idea!

Thanks for this new addition to my repertoire!

• Sallyreplied on February 23rd, 2014 at 10:37 am

Happy you love them!

Lisa Fabryposted March 7, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I heard about these from a Mom friend of mine when I was telling her my daughter (one year old) has low iron. Chickpeas are high in iron. Woohoo! She was telling me that she made these all the time.

I noticed that when people commented on this recipe you asked that they let you know if they did in fact try the recipe. I didn’t notice that anyone replied with their personal experiences of the recipe. I plan on making that my challenge of the week for next week. Make the recipe, post about it in my own blog and come back here to share my experience. I’m thinking about making some cinnamon/sugar and some with ginger. (I have a jar of ground ginger that’s just been hanging around doing nothing.)

And now it’s time to enjoy the evening with my Guinness, Hubster and maybe a big bad wolf on wall street.

• Sallyreplied on March 8th, 2014 at 4:01 pm

Hey Lisa! Lots of readers have tried these chickpeas and have reported back. I think you’ll just love these – the ginger version sounds like it’d be delicious.

• Lisa Fabryreplied on March 18th, 2014 at 11:31 am

Holy garbanzo beans batman! These are TASTY! I’m trying to keep my calories down so I opted for a S&P with Italian seasoning and garlic flavor. I used dried beans so it added about 2.5 hours of ‘work’ but no big deal. The dried beans are really inexpensive.

I learned a valuable lesson though, NO Silpat. Just straight onto the baking sheet. I roasted them for the recommended time and noticed that the ones that had rolled off of the Silpat were super crunchy. My hubby just put them back into the oven for another 10 minutes sans Silpat and voila, Perfection!

I made these on Thursday and kept them in a plastic container. It’s now Tuesday and they are still super crunchy. I wonder if it’s the container or the fact that they were from dried/soaked/cooked beans?

The best part is that a 1/4 cup serving is only about 86 calories and 5 grams of healthy fats. I just pre-measure 1/4 cup and snack on it all day. I can’t wait to make different flavors!

Thank you so much for this terrific tutorial/recipe!

• Sallyreplied on March 18th, 2014 at 2:36 pm

SO happy you’re loving these chickpeas, Lisa! Love using just simple salt and pepper on my chickpeas. You’re right – a great way to keep things simple and not use and added sugar. A great salty, savory snack. Thanks for reporting back!

Lyz Lucibelloposted March 8, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Hi Sally! I just came across these on fb, I can’t wait to try them!
    My husband loves any kind of beans and I’m sure he will devour these :)

I also see you love doing your nails… Have you ever tried the awesome nail wraps by Jamberry??? Omg, if you love that Essie color, but hate the way manis last only a few days, you will addicted to Jamberry as much as these cinnamon sugar chick peas :) maybe more… And they are calorie free 😉
    Take a peek at my website. If you have any questions, you can email me.
    Take care! I’ll let you know how my chick peas turn out!

PS- I am a dog and horse lover and I donate my proceeds to rescues because I can’t save them all :(

• Sallyreplied on March 9th, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Thanks Lyz, I will check it out! Hope you love these chickpea snacks as much as we do.

Lyz Lucibelloposted March 8, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Ooooo… I just had an idea… What about some Indian spices like garam masala on these! My husband might eat the entire batch while they’re still hot, lol

ashleyposted March 10, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Are you able to save these for later or do you have to eat them all at once? I would love to make these for my picky toddler!

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2014 at 8:39 pm

The chickpeas are crunchiest on day 1 – but they will be fine saved for a few days at room temperature.

• SaraKreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 7:57 am

Careful with these or your picky toddler will become your tooting toddler. :)

SaraKposted April 2, 2014 at 7:55 am

I’ve had 2 cans of Trader Joe’s Garbanzo beans(meant for hummus) taking space in the pantry and decided to try this out.

I’ve never had chickpeas so I wanted to keep it simple so I can appreciate the natural flavor and they turned out great!

I followed your steps but rather than cinnamon sugar, I used French Sea Salt. Delish!

Going to hit up costco later this week – I just hope their cans are not costco-sized or I’ll be making music without singing a tune. :)

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:07 am

Hahahahaha music without singing a tune. I tried to warn everyone! Too many and… well, you know. Happy you enjoy them with sea salt!

• SaraKreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:20 am

These things are so addictive and I must shamelessly admit that I’ve eaten the whole can. I made them right before I went to work out (left the oven open to cool) and came back ready to sample a few pieces and then put the rest away for a snack later today.

Let’s just say the mason jar sits empty. This puts kale chips to shame.

Deannaposted April 3, 2014 at 5:28 am

Hi Sally!

I have a jar of Master Food Cinnamon Sugar, so how much of that do you suggest I use in lieu of making my own cinnamon sugar mixture?

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I’d use about 3 Tablespoons Deanna. Enjoy!

• Deannareplied on April 7th, 2014 at 6:32 am

Thanks Sally, will try making them tomorrow. As I type this, I have your apple slices in the oven, can’t wait!

Saraposted April 14, 2014 at 1:17 pm

have you ever coated them in butter instead of olive oil before?

• Sallyreplied on April 14th, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I have not tried that.

Lexyposted April 30, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I just came across this recipe and it’s funny because nobody I know other than my mom and I know you can bake chick peas. We have been making roasted chick peas for years. Personally, I don’t like cinnamon. Weird, I know. But they are really good coated with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt though. They were a staple when I was pregnant a few years ago.

Blair pattersonposted June 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I made the soft pretzels on the weekend and thought I would try this one out!!! I love it!! Thank you for the great, simple recipies :-)

Cassandraposted July 17, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I LOVE wegmans! we live a block away from ours! lol

Michelleposted July 27, 2014 at 9:30 am

The seasoning suggestions at the bottom of this recipe ends with “You could” like it’s the beginning of an unfinished sentence. Just wanted to let you know :) Recipe looks great though, I might have to try it later!

• Sallyreplied on July 27th, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Whoops! Thanks Michelle

Soniaposted August 23, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Made these last night and love them! Finally I can eat chickpeas! I hate hummus :(
    You were right about losing their crunch on day two, so I pooped them back in a 250 degree oven for 10 mins or so and they are crunchy again!! Whoopwhoop!

tamaraposted August 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Hi I am new to cooking and was curious if you mix the chickpeas and sugar in a bowl or right in the pan. How do I stop the brownsugar from burning?

Hayleyposted September 4, 2014 at 2:52 pm

So the first time I made these, I didn’t leave them in the oven as it cooled down and they were quite soft still. So today when I made them, i left them in the turned off oven for 20 minutes and they were super crispy and delicious. I loved these and will start to make them on the regular :)

Jessicaposted October 19, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Even before you mentioned these as an alternative to nuts, I was considering the possibility. I developed an allergic reaction to nuts which is now potentially fatal, have landed in A&E three times now. My husband and I love nuts, even though we no longer have them in the house. This could be the answer, can not wait to try them.

Angie Kposted December 7, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I would totally believe that these cinnamon-y, sugar beans are delicious, because one of my favorite desserts to make is comprised mainly of chickpeas! ^-^ They make a decadently gooey chocolate chip cookie pie. Hooray for beans in desserts! 😀 (Love your blog, btw! Just found it recently and want to eat all of the gorgeous pictures up! So happy your blog is such a success for you!! ^-^ xoxo)

Debraposted January 7, 2015 at 12:10 am

I just made these but they aren’t crispy at all.
    what did I do wrong? I didn’t use can I presoaked my garbanzo beans and then boiled then for an hour and a half. I then did as the recipe said and I can’t figure out what went wrong. Help me please.

• Jenreplied on March 30th, 2015 at 12:06 pm

When using dried instead of canned soak overnight, dry well and then bake. Do not boil first.

Martaposted January 24, 2015 at 11:07 am

Love your site and recipes. Is there anyway you can add the calories per serving. If they are there I apologize but guide me as to where it may be.
    Nutritional info would be helpful but not necessary

• Sallyreplied on January 24th, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Hi Marta! So happy you enjoy my blog. My website is where I share my personal recipes; though I do share healthier recipes made with better-for-you ingredients from time to time, my blog’s focus isn’t on nutrition. Sometimes I use this calorie counter for my recipes:

Check it out if you’d like to calculate any recipes.

Hilaryposted February 15, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Hi Sally! I tried making these tonight and they were popping all over. Any ideas? Maybe too damp still? I don’t want the bottom of my oven to get all of the delicious snacks! :)

• Sallyreplied on February 16th, 2015 at 2:12 pm

They were popping? I’ve never had that happen before! Your lucky oven! I just researched that and it sounds like it’s an issue with the chickpeas not being completely dry. So, it sounds like they were a little too damp still Hilary.

Kelseyposted February 16, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Hi Sally! How much Cayenne and cumin would you suggest adding? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on February 16th, 2015 at 2:21 pm

I usually add 1/2 teaspoon of each.

Melonieposted February 26, 2015 at 11:39 am

Have you ever made your own chickpeas. ..From the dried ones?

• Mayareplied on June 11th, 2015 at 1:10 pm

I made these yesterday from dried chickpeas that I cooked off and it worked wonderfully! I haven’t bought canned chickpeas in several years, as it’s much cheaper and less salty to boil our own!

Jillianposted March 18, 2015 at 7:07 pm

What a wonderful idea! I was wondering – have you ever tried coating them with honey instead of with sugar? I may tried a small batch with honey instead to see if it works.

• Sallyreplied on March 19th, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I have and… the honey burns! You can try it but I’ve never liked the results. I suggest maple syrup instead (see recipe notes).

• Jillianreplied on March 22nd, 2015 at 5:19 pm

Thank you for the reply – just in time to head off a potential disaster. :)

Malloryposted April 26, 2015 at 12:56 am

Oh these look like such a great idea! Definitely want to try them… Thanks for sharing!

Stefanieposted April 28, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Hi there!
    I was just curious, what should I use if I don’t have a silicone baking mat? Is aluminum foil okay? or any other suggestions? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on April 28th, 2015 at 3:53 pm

parchment paper works

Mayaposted June 11, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for the wonderful recipe! I made two batches yesterday (from dried chickpeas I’d boiled off). The first was 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt and 1 T olive oil, and for the second one I added the cinnamon/sugar mixture as you suggested — except I also added 1 heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder. This made them taste like chocolate cinnamon twists and the kids could not stop eating them :) Thanks again!
    Next time I will try it with maple syrup, cinnamon and cocoa.

Jessicaposted July 6, 2015 at 8:41 am

I followed your instructions exactly and my chickpeas were not crunchy. I even let them dry out overnight before cooking them and left them in the oven for about 15 extra minutes after realizing they were still soft. Any ideas on why they may not have gotten crunchy?

• Sallyreplied on July 6th, 2015 at 9:07 am

Two tips for you, Jessica– did you remove the skins of the chickpeas? Try doing that. I find the skins keep them moist, which is what you do NOT want. And try blotting them with paper towels after letting them dry out. (If you didn’t do that already.)

Celesteposted July 9, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Garam marsala spice

Shakaelaposted August 1, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Yum! My batch was more soft than crunchy, but they are still really good. I like them with salt as well as cinnamon sugar. Next time, I would use a neutral flavoured oil though; the olive oil tasted a bit disgusting with the sugar. I love your recipes!

Jeanneposted August 5, 2015 at 11:17 am

I took yesterdays batch of roasted beans that were still not crunchy enough and put them in the toaster oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Perfect, very crunchy! My next batch I’m going to try a light coating of coconut oil.

Ruthieposted August 25, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Can these be frozen and packed for lunches?

• Sallyreplied on August 25th, 2015 at 5:43 pm

I can’t see why not!

Jennifer Lindseyposted October 11, 2015 at 7:05 pm

what are the nutrition facts?

Teoposted October 18, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I made these, cooked them a bit longer and they were supper crunchy. I love them, will be making the again!

Gordanzobeansposted November 16, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Loved how you simplified this for your audience. Your personality shines through every recipe. Also, thank you for having a vegan category! You’re awesome!