Raspberry Chocolate Chip Layer Cake.

A creamy, rich chocolate frosting is the perfect match for my super-moist chocolate chip cake. Throw in some raspberries and this cake will be a huge crowd pleaser.

A creamy, rich chocolate frosting is the perfect match for my super-moist chocolate chip cake!

This cake. Oh my lanta, this cake. Between the layers, the raspberries, the chocolate, the buttery moist crumbs – I think I found my heaven.

Tomorrow I’m throwing a bridal shower for my best bud Kristen. The other bridesmaids and I are ready with champagne, decor, and I bet you can guess who baked all the desserts. Yup, this girl. I made a double batch of this, these (obviously), two batches of these and these, and these will be baked tomorrow. Uhh I hope everyone brings a sweet tooth!

Though I didn’t make today’s stunning raspberry chocolate chip cake for the bridal shower tomorrow, this cake fits the bill nicely for showers, warm weather, and… Fridays.

I developed a treasured vanilla cake recipe last year. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: A classic vanilla cake is arguably the most important cake in a baker’s repertoire. Mastering vanilla cake allows you the possibility of making a vast array of different layer cakes and cupcakes, always using that recipe as the base. Lucky for you, my classic vanilla cake recipe is simple.

I first used my vanilla cake recipe to make funfetti cupcakes two years ago. Then I moved on to funfetti cake, very vanilla cupcakes, and cookies ‘n cream cupcakes. From there, I just went wild. Everything from butterscotch cupcakes to pineapple upside-down cake and fresh strawberry cupcakes. Among all these recipes, the basic vanilla cake batter recipe has basically stayed the same- because it’s a WINNER.

And today, I turned it into something extravagant. Lush and colorful with pops of pinks and layers of chocolate frosting.  I’m a fool for the combination of raspberry and chocolate! This is absolutely my new favorite way to eat vanilla cake.

My raspberry chocolate chip layer cake may look intimidating, but trust me – it’s not. It will take you about 10 minutes to make the cake batter and you don’t even need a mixer!

This fancy lookin’ cake has so much going on; you’re going to fall in love with each bite. So many flavors and textures between the buttery vanilla cake layers, the juicy raspberries, creamy chocolate frosting, and chocolate chips. It’s the kind of cake you’ll keep “tasting.”

Ok, I’ll have a small sliver. And another. And one more for good measure. You know, just to make sure you can appreciate the cake’s many flavors. 😉

The cake’s moist texture comes from buttermilk. Sometimes I use a combination of milk and yogurt if I have yogurt on hand, but this time I had a huge carton of buttermilk waiting to be used up. I do not notice a difference in the cake’s moisture if I use buttermilk or my yogurt/milk combination, so I suggest either. I note that in the recipe below.

You may use fresh or frozen raspberries in the cake batter – I used frozen.

Important: be sure to only mix the batter very, very gently because the more you mix and break up the raspberries, the redder/pinker your cake layers will be. The batter is thick enough that the mini chocolate chips and raspberries won’t sink to the bottom.

The frosting. I used the same milk chocolate frosting you love. I’ve used it so many times before and it makes a couple appearances in my cookbook as well. Without a doubt, the best chocolate frosting I’ve ever had. Not too sweet, not too dark, creamy, velvety, simple.

You’re going to fall in love with this berrylicious chocolate chip cake! It’s the perfect dessert recipe for beginners (no mixer, simple ingredients) and it will surely impress all of your tasters.

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Layer Cake

Yield: serves 10

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes, plus cooling

A creamy, rich chocolate frosting is the perfect match for my super-moist chocolate chip cake. Throw in some raspberries and this cake will surely be a show-stopper!

• 3 and ¼ cups (405g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 and ¾ cups (350g) granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 cups (480ml) buttermilk1
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (155g) raspberries, fresh or frozen (not thawed)
  • 3/4 cup (135g) mini or regular semi-sweet chocolate chips

Milk Chocolate Frosting

• 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3-4 cups (360-480g) confectioners' sugar
  • 3/4 cup (63g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3 - 5 Tablespoons (45-75ml) heavy cream or half-and-half
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • salt, to taste
  • optional: chocolate chips and raspberries for decoration

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease and lightly flour three 9x9x2 inch round baking pans. Set aside.
  2. Make the cake: Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Vigorously whisk in the granulated sugar, then the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until hardly any lumps remain. The batter will be very thick - try not to overmix. Fold in the raspberries and chocolate chips - be gentle; you don't want to break the raspberries and have them bleed into the batter.
  3. Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans. Bake for 22-24 minutes, making sure to loosely cover the cakes with aluminum foil halfway through to prevent the tops from getting too brown. Cakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in the pans on a wire rack.
  4. Make the frosting: Cream the butter with a hand or stand mixer on medium speed for 3-4 minutes. This will create a nice creamy base for the frosting. Add 3 cups of confectioners' sugar and 3/4 cup of cocoa powder. Mix on low. Add 3 Tablespoons of heavy cream and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. If your frosting is too thin, add up to 1 more cup of confectioners' sugar. If your frosting is too thick, add up to 2 more Tablespoons of heavy cream. Taste and add salt if you prefer - I usually add about 1/4 teaspoon. Add more cocoa powder if the frosting is not chocolate-y enough. (This frosting recipe is forgiving. Add more/less of each ingredient to obtain the consistency and taste you desire.)
  5. Assemble and frost: First, using a large serrated knife, trim the tops off the cake layers to create a flat surface. Place 1 layer on your cake stand. Evenly cover the top with frosting. Top with 2nd layer, more frosting, then the third layer. Top with frosting and spread around the sides. Top with raspberries and/or chocolate chips for garnish if desired.
  6. Slice, serve, enjoy!
  7. Make ahead tip: The cake layers can be baked, cooled, and covered tightly at room temperature overnight. Likewise, the frosting can be prepared then covered and refrigerated overnight. Assemble and frost the cake the next day when you are ready to serve. Frosted cake can be frozen up to 2 months if you have room in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving. Honestly, it tastes much better fresh.

1. You can either use 2 cups of buttermilk OR 1 and 1/2 cups milk of choice and 1/2 cup plain yogurt. I have used both options several times.

Try  my Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake next!

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake

See more cake recipes.

167 Responses to “Raspberry Chocolate Chip Layer Cake.”

Gemma&Kahlanposted April 10, 2014 at 5:18 am

Myself and my 2yr old daughter have just put this recipe in the oven-we are baking it for my birthday tomorrow :) (yes i know, i’m baking my own birthday cake but i have had this recipe saved for this occasion since i saw it posted on Facebook) So far we have only licked the spoon&bowl (completely clean) but my god its lovely.

• Sallyreplied on April 10th, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Happy birthday! I bake for my own birthday too. It’s ok. Enjoy!

Anne-Marieposted April 13, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Sally, I’ve just made this yummy cake. Amazebobs indeed! I didn’t have any cream for the frosting so I used fat free Greek yogurt instead and it tastes amazing! Just thought I’d share. Have a great weekend! I’m making cakes as I’m watching the London Marathon x

riiaposted April 25, 2014 at 6:37 am

hiyaa sally! just found this amazing recipe and your blog and I can’t wait to try this! the only problem is that my boyfriend celiac disease and I’d love to bake this to our house warming party. do you know if it’s possible to change the flour to gluten free ones?
    greeting from Finland btw :)

Eleanaposted May 1, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Hi Sally! Is this recipe identical to your white chocolate raspberry cupcakes in you cookbook minus the chocolate chips and chocolate frosting and instead a white chocolate frosting?

• Sallyreplied on May 1st, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Yep! It’s my go-to basic vanilla cake/cupcake recipe.

ameliaposted May 9, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Hi Sally-
    I accidentally bought non fat buttermilk. Will this matter? Should I opt for the yogurt/milk combo instead?

• Sallyreplied on May 9th, 2014 at 4:04 pm

nonfat will be just fine. Enjoy!

JTposted May 14, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Can I skip the raspberries? Thanks!

kellyposted May 30, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Sally this cake looks soooo amazing!!! One question, Could I use vanilla or white choc. frosting instead of chocolate?? Its weird I know, but I don’t really like chocolate. But I ADORE vanilla/white chocolate! :) Thanks so much!!!

kellyposted June 3, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Great! Thanks so much Sally!!!

Deirdreposted June 24, 2014 at 10:48 pm

sally, i love it! I wanted your opinion though-I’m making this cake for my grandmother for her birthday, and I’m making it with your classic vanilla icing instead of chocolate so I can tint it pink (her favorite color) and decorate it easier! I was thinking of icing just one of the layers inside of the cake with Peanut Butter frosting (and the rest vanilla). I think PB is so welcome to all of the ingredients in this cake! Do you think it’s a good idea? I want it to be perfect :-)

• Sallyreplied on June 25th, 2014 at 8:28 am

Yes, I do think it’s a great idea! I love peanut butter and chocolate together – AND peanut butter and raspberry together. Sounds like a wonderful cake Deirdre! Enjoy.

ginaposted June 26, 2014 at 10:51 am

I’m in a rush but I just have to say I’ve just made this cake, it looks delis I can’t wait to try it hut I’ve just whipped up the icing…..oh my god its the best chocolate icing I’ve ever tasted!! This will be my new go to chocolate icing!! Thank you so much xx

Alisonposted July 12, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Sally, have you ever tried making your vanilla cake with a non-dairy margarine, such as Earth Balance? I would love to make this for a friend who can’t have dairy! I’m guessing it wouldn’t be quite the same, but I think I’m willing to give it a try anyway.

• Sallyreplied on July 13th, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Hi Alison! I do not suggest it. Perhaps for bar desserts, but definitely not for cakes and cupcakes developed with dairy ingredients. Here are some nondairy options: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/category/vegan/

• Alisonreplied on July 14th, 2014 at 10:34 am

Thank you! Those look wonderful, too! I’ll save this cake for when I can make it right!

• Laurareplied on November 17th, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I made this cake with Earth Balance and non dairy substitutes and it came out perfectly!

Laurieposted July 22, 2014 at 10:30 am

I made this cake over the weekend for my husband’s grandmother’s 93th birthday party. It was really delicious! Thanks for the great recipe.

I posted pictures of it on my blog today too

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Looks perfect. Thanks for reporting back Laurie.

Jananiposted July 24, 2014 at 2:16 pm

This cake looks beautiful and sounds delicious. I have a friend’s birthday coming up which I’m hosting and would love to make this cake. How far in advance can I make the cake? And can I frost the night before? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on July 25th, 2014 at 8:01 am

Hi Janani. The cake is truly best made on the same day. Maybe 1 day in advance (keep at room temperature and cover tightly). The frosting may be made the day before too – cover and chill overnight in the fridge.

Caroleannposted July 29, 2014 at 11:27 am

I’ve tried out a lot of your recipes and they’ve always turned out excellent. Never failed. Thanks
    I’m planning to bake this trips layer raspberry cake for my husband’s bday next week. I was just wondering if I could make two layers instead of three as I have only two 9″ cake pans. Or could I wait for the two to bake and then bake the third one. Can the cake batter sit so long?

• Sallyreplied on July 29th, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Hi Caroleann, I suggest making the two layers and then using any extra to make cupcakes. That way you don’t have to wait for the pan to cool and can bake cupcakes right away when the cakes are finished. The cupcakes take around 20 minutes, maybe a little less.

Lilyposted August 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm

This looks delicious! Can I sub strawberries for the raspberries?

• Sallyreplied on August 9th, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Definitely! You may need to add a little emote bake time since strawberries are a little more wet than raspberries.

Sarahposted August 19, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Hey! I have a question. Instead of raspberries would i be able to use blackberries? The recipe looks amazing, but i have so many blackberries from my garden to use up. ps, this is my FAVOURITE baking blog and website, all the recipes i’ve tried have turned out incredible. xoxo~Sarah

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Hi Sarah! Blackberries would be just fine. Thank you for following my blog!

Archanaposted September 11, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Hi Sally, I am a newbie in baking and haven’t tried anything yet. I was thinking of trying this delicious cake. However, I see that it is a triple layer cake and that would be too much if things go wrong.
    Can you suggest me the measurement of all the ingredients for a one layer cake ?
    I am a great fan of your website and really impressed with the way you explain the science behind the ingredients used. It helps for newbies like me. The pictures are too tempting and really inspired me to try my hand in baking.
    Please guide me on the ingredient list for a one layer cake. Thanks.

Rylieposted September 21, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I love your recipes! They’re always such a hit with everyone! Can you make this without the raspberries and chocolate chips and have it be a straight vanilla cake or do you have to adjust ratios?

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2014 at 6:24 pm

That would be fine Rylie. Perhaps add a little more vanilla extract to amp the vanilla flavor.

Niraliposted October 9, 2014 at 1:15 am

Hello Sally, I am a new baker and was wondering if I can do fondant icing on this cake?
    I am planning to bake for my son’s birthday and he loves fondant.
    Love the flavors in this recipe. Can’t wait to try.

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:58 pm

That would definitely work with this cake recipe.

Orianaposted October 10, 2014 at 1:44 am

Hello, I love your websites. I was just wondering if I could make this cake with only two layers? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Yes. I suggest making the recipe as stated, filling the two pans halfway full, and then using the extra batter to make cupcakes. The cupcakes take around 20 minutes, maybe a little less.

Niraliposted November 2, 2014 at 11:10 am

Hi Sally, just wanted to say thank you for the recipe. Made it for my Son’s bday and it was a big hit. Every one loved it. Chocolate frosting is the I mean the best. So luscious chocolaty :).
    I also made your triple layered chocolate cake for 2nd tier. Cake was so moist. Thank you again. Can’t wait to bake again one of your cake.
    A question about cups and grams measures. Was bit confused as recepie calls for a3 and 1/4 cup which is more than 405 gms

Kennedyposted November 25, 2014 at 7:14 am

Hi, Sally! I’m 16 and have been baking from your website for a year and a half. I’m in charge of baking for my families Thanksgiving. They are really picky. Could I just use the raspberries as garnish and not mix it in the cake itself?

• Sallyreplied on November 25th, 2014 at 7:23 am

Absolutely! I would add a few more chocolate chips to the cake then.

Jessicaposted December 3, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Hi Sally. I have been following your blog ever since I found it, about a year ago. I love it and recommend it to people all the time. I especially enjoy the extensive detail you go into when describing your recipes! I like to know what I’m getting into and you always give a lot of information about why things are done in the way they are and your descriptions are entertaining too! I made this cake for a bridal shower and everyone freaked out about how good it was. I haven’t made a lot of raspberry/chocolate things and now I am in love with this combination. I found that the cake was much better when it was at room temperature. I refrigerated it the night before the shower and this did something to the consistency I didn’t like, but as it warmed up it tasted better and better…so good in fact my boyfriend requested it for his birthday today so I’m frosting up another one in just a little while. This one without chocolate chips because he doesn’t love them. Thanks again!

• Sallyreplied on December 3rd, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Jessica– I’m so glad this cake was a hit and that you enjoy reading my blog. What a great cake for a bridal shower!

Neetuposted December 13, 2014 at 12:21 am

Hi I was just wondering what other kind of frosting I could pair with this cake I need a white frosting for my nieces birthday that I can add food coloring. Thanks

Gabyposted December 28, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Hi, Sally! I seriously love the look of this cake, but I only have 8×8 dishes for it. Will the recipe do in 8×8 dishes? Thanks! Love your recipes, I’ve made so many.

• Sallyreplied on December 28th, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I fear the cake will overflow– 9 inch is best. How about only filling the pans halfway with batter and using any extra batter for cupcakes.

• Gabyreplied on December 29th, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Ok, I’ll do that. Thank you!

• Gabyreplied on January 1st, 2015 at 8:42 am

Just wanted to get back to you on how it went—halfway full was perfect. I baked them for 25 mins each and the sides were a little brown but the center was perfect. I think the leftover batter will make about 2 or 3 cupcakes. Thanks again, everyone loved the cake (including me)!

Falguniposted January 19, 2015 at 4:33 am

Hi Sally, I’ve had bad experiences everytime I make a fruit/berry cake. The cake was a little raw in the middle but perfectly done from the sides. I used the correct pan size, adhered to the baking time as well. I made use of frozen raspberries in this recipe. What could have gone wrong? Reply at your earliest convenience. Thanks. :)

• Sallyreplied on January 19th, 2015 at 7:36 am

I fear your oven temperature may be off, which is a common culprit to under/over-baking. I would purchase an oven thermometer and adjust the dial accordingly. You may even want to reduce the baking time by 15-20 degrees and bake for a little longer, which can help ensure more even baking. Also, try rotating the cake pans one or two times while they bake. I hope this all helps.

• falgunireplied on January 20th, 2015 at 8:28 am

Thanks a ton for a speedy response! I made this cake yesterday, it was fabulous. And not to forget, the chocolate frosting. It’s my go-to recipe, an all time favorite. Your blog is so inspiring and it’s the reason why I pursued baking in the first place. Looking forward to trying more recipes. :)

noraposted January 30, 2015 at 2:30 pm

hello sally! first off, i am a huge fan of your blog and have been a silent reader for quite some time, but not anymore! this cake was a breeze to make, thanks to your thorough instructions. i just finished baking and i can’t wait to share it tomorrow at the family gathering.
    sending love all the way from kuwait xx

Lindaposted March 28, 2015 at 7:54 am

This looks amazing! I was wondering if using salted butter instead of unsalted matters? Also, is it possible to make the frosting dark chocolate?

Jeannieposted April 2, 2015 at 1:28 am

This cake look delicious and I am planning on making it for Easter. I do not have the three cake pans…can I do two pans instead and just have two layers? If so, how long would you recommend baking them? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2015 at 8:28 am

There is too much batter for 2 cake pans– you can fill each cake pan halfway with batter and use extra batter to make cupcakes if you’d like.

• Jeanniereplied on April 2nd, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Thanks Sally!

shanyahahaposted April 8, 2015 at 8:11 am

Hi Sally, would this cake last if i baked it two days in advance? Also, would it be portable- we have to travel with it on the first day after baking! Kinda risky business, i know 😛

• Sallyreplied on April 9th, 2015 at 10:33 am

Yep– just make sure it is covered tightly for those 2 days and stored in the refrigerator. I suggest a cake carrier for transporting it.

Carlaposted April 12, 2015 at 5:16 pm

I’ve made this a few times now & its AMAZING,I’m planning on making it again as a chocolate chip cake without the raspberries, I was wondering whether you had ever tried freezing it?

• Sallyreplied on April 13th, 2015 at 9:44 am

You can freeze this cake up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before serving.

Stellaposted April 19, 2015 at 3:34 am

Hello Sally! I’ve made some of your recipes and everybody loved them!
    So, I’ve made this recipe, but the batter wasn’t think at all. I added more flour, but not too much cause I didn’t want to ruin it. In my country we don’t have buttermilk, so I used the recipe you have in the lemon-blueberry cake. Do you think that this was the reason the batter didn’t turn out thick?

• Sallyreplied on April 19th, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Yes, most likely. Did you enjoy the baked cake?

• Stellareplied on April 21st, 2015 at 4:30 am

Oh yes, it was really good! One of the best I’ve made so far actually! :) Any ideas on how to make it more fluffy?

Nicolaposted April 21, 2015 at 5:57 am

Heya, my fiancé made this for my birthday (at my suggestion :D) and it was amazing! Initially I was worried it was too moist but once it was iced and being eaten it was lovely (just a little trickier to put together).

The only change we made was to sprinkle some grated white chocolate over the top instead of chocolate chips, will definitely make again!

• Sallyreplied on April 21st, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Happy birthday!

Jenellposted May 12, 2015 at 7:01 am

Hi Sally! Could I use dark chocolate frosting instead of milk? Would be great you have a recipe for that as well :) thank you!

Julianaposted May 18, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Hi Sally! I was wondering, can we add the Raspberries frozen or we need to let them unfreeze?
    Thanks for this wonderfull blog!

• Sallyreplied on May 18th, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Do not thaw

DJposted June 20, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Hello, I’m making this cake for my one year olds birthday. I want it to be approximately 6 layers high. But, I need the icing to be baby pink. Would this cake work with vanilla buttercream or whip n ice? Will it hold fondant? If I chose to ha ash and fondant instead? Thanks so much.

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Vanilla frosting and fondant will work.

• DJreplied on June 23rd, 2015 at 8:39 am

Thank you !! I’m looking forward to trying this cake.

Is it strong enough to hold a lot of layers? Is this a cake you would use for that?

Juliaposted June 28, 2015 at 10:10 am

I’m really interested in making this cake – it looks so delicious and beautiful! – but where I live chocolate chips aren’t available and I would have to order them online and wait for so long. Are they really neccesary? Or can I replace them with something else? I’d be really thankful for the answer

• Sallyreplied on June 28th, 2015 at 10:14 am

You can leave them out.

• Juliareplied on June 28th, 2015 at 10:30 am

Thank You very much!

DJposted July 5, 2015 at 8:04 am

Just wanted to report that I made this cake on the weekend and changed a couple of things with icing – this cake turned out amazingly. Such a simple recipe to put together. Absolutely delicious. Thank you.

Maricruzposted July 5, 2015 at 11:08 pm

just madre this cake in México, AMAZING. Thanks for sharing

Shannonposted August 1, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I made this for a friend’s birthday; he loooooves the raspberry and chocolate combination. This cake is sensational; possibly the first time I ever I saw a recipe and liked the look of it so much I didn’t fuss with it/make changes straight off. The only think I did do differently: I used your creamy raspberry frosting recipe (ah-may-zing!) rather than the chocolate for between each layer so as to increase the raspberry flavor. I also ended up making the chocolate frosting more towards the “dark side” because the raspberry frosting was so, so sweet; I used 3 cups confectioner’s sugar and a full cup of cocoa powder. After adding 5 T of heavy cream, I added 1 T at a time to get the consistency I wanted. I think I ended up adding about 10 T of heavy cream in total. When all was said and done, this cake was devoured. I even had a piece myself; a rarity! I’ve starred your blog, will be visiting it frequently, and will be buying your cookbook for sure! Thanks so much! 😀

DMposted August 8, 2015 at 10:20 am

Does this cake freeze well?
    I want to make this cake tomorrow to freeze until ready to ice and cover in fondant next week? Thanks

Paulaposted September 15, 2015 at 10:01 am

Hi Sally! I’ve made this cake before and it was delicious! I’m going to make it again for a baby shower next week but I want to make some cupcakes instead of the cake. How many cupcakes would you expect this batter to make?

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2015 at 10:37 am

Hi Paula! Anywhere around 30-36. Fill the cupcake liners halfway.

Harshitaposted September 20, 2015 at 1:52 am

Dear Sally

I really enjoy reading your blog. Have tired to bake two cakes. Lemon Blueberry and Raspberry chocolate chip cakes. Needed some advice on both. Both the cakes tasted really good but was a bit flat. The cake wasn’t fluffy? Where would I have gone wrong? For some reason all my chocolate chip was stuck on the cake tray. Do I need to warm it or keep it room temperature before adding it ?

Regards Harshita

• Sallyreplied on September 21st, 2015 at 11:45 am

Harshita– it could be a couple things. First, did you change anything about the recipes at all? Are your chemical leaveners up to date? I replace my baking soda and powder every 3 months. Do you think you overmeasured the flour? Make sure you spoon and level. And avoid overmixing the batter at all costs!