Summer Days and Cherry Picking

Summer Days & Cherry Picking | Sally's Baking Addiction

During our recent trip to the breathtaking pacific northwest, we drove from Seattle to Wenatchee, a city in the Columbia River valley. Wenatchee is home to rolling hills, farmlands, and and epic orchards. We’re talking world famous fruit. And the biggest, juiciest cherries I’ve ever had!

Not to mention the laid-back atmosphere and welcoming character. Coming from the bustling east coast, it’s a breath of fresh air to get a smile, a wave, and heck! even some friendly hellos and how are yas from complete strangers. Plus, this charming city is rich with beauty!

Consider me eternally jealous to those who call it home.

Summer Days & Cherry Picking | Sally's Baking Addiction

While there, we went cherry picking and got to know the family behind Stemilt Growers.

Summer Days & Cherry Picking | Sally's Baking Addiction

Pears, too! Though they weren’t quite ready to be picked yet.

Summer Days & Cherry Picking | Sally's Baking Addiction

I couldn’t put my camera away! Something to capture every minute.

Summer Days & Cherry Picking | Sally's Baking Addiction

One of our meals, complete with the most ridiculously incredible salmon and side dishes galore, was inspired by the surrounding orchards’ bounty.

Summer Days & Cherry Picking | Sally's Baking Addiction

THIS VIEW. ↓ Wenatchee, now you’re just showing off!

Summer Days & Cherry Picking | Sally's Baking Addiction

My camera can’t even do the experience justice!

Shot with Canon 5D Mark iii & Canon EF 24-70mm f/4.0 lens. *This lens is my favorite for travel!

Comments

1. Julianne on August 14, 2015 at 9:53 am

Sally these have to be some of your most beautiful photos! Place me right there with that glass of red wine overlooking the mountains and hills. I need to visit Wenatchee sometime!

2. Riley on August 14, 2015 at 9:59 am

I’ve had the pleasure of tasting Stemilt cherries and they’re always so good! I love the first picture with the bright blue sky behind the cherry branches. It looks like it was the perfect vacation!

3. Stella @ Stellicious Life on August 14, 2015 at 10:09 am

Wow, breathtaking photos! The sky is SOOO blue *sighs* Georgous place and those meals, yum!

ps. Sally my subscription problem still hasn’t been resolved, I’ll shoot you an email. Thanks!

• Sally on August 14, 2015 at 10:17 am

Please do– it says you aren’t signed up when I see the list!

4. Matea on August 14, 2015 at 10:17 am

Picking fruits never gets old! In May we picked about 15kg of cherries from my grandparents’ tree in Serbia; best way to spend the afternoon! You just can’t beat fresh-fruit pies 🙂

5. Kate P. on August 14, 2015 at 11:42 am

In one word: spectacular! Now you have me craving your cherry pie recipe. And a vacation!

6. Liz B. on August 14, 2015 at 2:44 pm

These pictures are beautiful! You have such a talent!

Also, may I recommend my very favorite place for cherries? Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor, Michigan. I live in the Philly suburbs, but we vacation up on Glen Lake every summer. Check them out! http://www.cherryrepublic.com/

• Sally on August 16, 2015 at 11:26 am

I really should make it up to Michigan one summer. I haven’t been there in years. My family is originally from there!

7. Sara on August 14, 2015 at 8:25 pm

“World famous fruit.” I love it!

And those salads look UNREAL. Glad it was such a great trip!

8. Ricky Spelbos on August 15, 2015 at 6:51 am

I could stare at that beautiful blue sky for an eternity. I like the black and white photo the most. Awesome shot!

9. Julia on August 15, 2015 at 9:01 am

Sally these photos are absolutely gorgeous. You have such a talent for not only baking but for photography!

10. Autumn on August 15, 2015 at 9:20 am

Omg Sally these photos are beautiful! Also I was going to comment and say that you should visit my town of Traverse City, Michigan for some cherries but I see someone else has already beat me to it! So awesome that it can be such a small world sometimes 🙂

11. Amy @ Thoroughly Nourished Life on August 17, 2015 at 1:26 am

What a beautiful place in the world Sally! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! I’m going to have to find some beautiful country spots around here this summer – I feel some cherry picking needs to happen.

12. Cindy on August 17, 2015 at 7:43 am

Do you use filters on any of your nature photos?

• Sally on August 17, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Hi Cindy. I edit my photos in Adobe Lightroom.

13. Elsie Perez on August 22, 2015 at 10:48 am

Love your photo blog!!! I haven’t been getting the emails for it so I tried signing up again. I hope it works! When is your fitness blog coming? I’ll keep an eye out for that tab for sure!

14. Lee Li on February 16, 2017 at 1:44 am

I have been baking cupcakes using your recipes and I love them all! While Strolling through your blog, I discovered this article about cherry picking in Wenatchee! That’s where I’m from! I never went cherry picking in Steamilt tho. There is one place that I always go which is a local orchard which cost me $1.50 or less a pound for both Bing and Rainier. Which is a crazy price for Rainier! I hope you come back again to Wenatchee and do more visiting around here!

Reviews